• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DO THE MATH.... Sony expanding first party development is a FAR better strategy than acquiring a big third party publishers

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Let's look at the math here

Sony purchases a smaller dev Insomniac for $229 million who have talent but little known IP

They now have a consistent 20 million selling IP in Spiderman

If for some crazy set of circumstances Capcom wanted to sell and Sony bought them it would cost them 5 billion dollars, and they only have a couple 10 million (at best) selling franchises that are less impressive even because they're multiplats.

MS's never ending pockets can afford them to make ridiculous purchases like 70 billion for COD.

A strategy that may be good for one is not good for the other.

Nintendo is breaking sales records for Switch with first party studios alone and a lot of those games are pretty low budget to make.

Playstation's brand value and development talent is what's going to see them through because all their first party franchises are starting to put up the big numbers

GOT 8 million
Horizon well over 10 million
GOW 20 million plus
Spiderman 20 million plus

microsoft have bought huge publishers who have games ie:COD that sell 15mill plus game every single year.

Isomniac sell a 20 mill plus game every 3 years
as with the other studios and games you mention again that’s every 2 to 3 years

MrFunSocks

Banned
I laughed before you even quoted me in your edit. I would laugh twice at your post if I could now.

Sony secured the rights to the game and hired Insomniac even prior to acquisition. So OPs point of Insomniac having little known IPs is right in the context.
Sony didn't secure the rights to spider man lol. Sony do not own the Spider Man "rights" or IP. I literally just gave you the links.

Maybe you will read this one:

Many assume Marvel's Spider-Man is a PS4 exclusive due to Sony's ownership of the property, but they actually don't have game rights to the character.

Sony only possesses the movie rights for the character, even if Spidey makes an appearance in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

During a speech given by Marvel Game head Jay Ong, the relationship between Sony, Insomniac, and Marvel is stated as simply being a partnership.

Although Sony now owns Insomniac Games, neither company has any exclusive game rights to the Spider-Man character, nor did Sony ever have said rights to begin with.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sony acquired Insomniac after Spider-Man was released. And they already had R&C (although that was already Sony's IP).

Naughty Dog would be a better example of what you're describing. Or Sucker Punch.

oldergamer

Why cant both strategies be effective? Buying individual studios and larger publishers.

People seem to think ms bought a bunch of studios (outside the publishers) they never worked with. However that's not true if you go back far enough you will find they either had games developed with those studios, or worked closely with those studio heads on past projects.

Three

Sony didn't secure the rights to spider man lol. Sony do not own the Spider Man "rights" or IP. I literally just gave you the links.

Thoughts?
Yes you're correct with ownership of the IP but "rights to" are different, they secured publishing rights to the game and hired Insomniac. The IP is Marvels. Insomniac themselves don't own the IP hence Insomniac wasn't an IP purchase as OP was saying.

No need to be triggered with your triggered emoji I would only double laugh because a bunch of MS regulars were arguing that Spiderman is bought IP just the other day when defending MS spokespeople drivel. Maybe you stayed silent there for a reason.

Last edited:
Spider Man and co only sold that many copies because people bought the console they are on because of games like Call of Duty. This argument falls flat on its face instantly.
Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wonder in the future we have steambox like devices, where u can have a gamepass apo, a Playstation app, ea play, steam, stadia, luna etc etc

If sony had a gamepass like service and the option to buy a game, I wonder how well they would be doing, so the years is 2032 there is 1 billion of these steamboxs/PC's on the market, i bet sony would make a similar amount of money as they were during the PS4s hey day.

I hope this future happens games and services being tied to specific hardware is really bad for the consumer, its like Netflix and disney+ making there own TVs which was the only way to access there services.

Topher

Gold Member

Thoughts?

That is a lot of speculation. No one knows what the actual deal is as far as the Spider-man video game rights with Sony and Marvel. Personally, I think Sony made a deal to include Spider-man in the MCU and part of that was an exclusive game for PlayStation. I don't know that, but the timing of the game announcement and the MCU makes sense. But again, no one knows but Sony and Marvel.

MonarchJT

Banned
Another angle to it all is if MS pulls big franchises like COD, the PS eco system will be fertile ground for other 3rd parties to gain ground. If you can't play COD, you'll play something else. Assuming the user base remains class leading.
true ..let's see if the next sony fps will be better than Killzone and resistsnce

MrFunSocks

Banned
That is a lot of speculation. No one knows what the actual deal is as far as the Spider-man video game rights with Sony and Marvel. Personally, I think Sony made a deal to include Spider-man in the MCU and part of that was an exclusive game for PlayStation. I don't know that, but the timing of the game announcement and the MCU makes sense. But again, no one knows but Sony and Marvel.
There is no speculation - Disney own the spider man IP along with video game rights.

I also believe the deal to get Spider Man in the MCU is why Sony got an exclusive game, but marvel/Disney did not then sign away exclusive game rights as well. They already lost the movie rights, you think they’d give away the game rights for their biggest character too, at a time when they’re kicking themselves and probably have a team of lawyers trying to find a way out of Sonys grip on the movie rights?

Spider Man is in fortnite too, which instantly proves my point.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
What AAA developers are even left? They all seemed to be a subsidiary or a publicly traded company.

I was thinking sony could buy remedy but its stock is divided between all sorts of owners, including Tencent owning 14%.

So I dont think sony really have a choice if they want to maintain a competitive games line up.

wDBvb1J.jpg

If all these pubs are going to be gone, I think sony will need at least 25devs to remain as strong as they are, also legacy content will become more important then ever for them.
we would have to specify that there's always a premium price to pay over those money.....
Sony have 18b to be divided over 3 years for the entire company ... more or less 1.5b per division .. excluding the financial one.....that of sensors, TV, audio, playstation

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
There is no speculation - Disney own the spider man IP along with video game rights.

I also believe the deal to get Spider Man in the MCU is why Sony got an exclusive game, but marvel/Disney did not then sign away exclusive game rights as well. They already lost the movie rights, you think they’d give away the game rights for their biggest character too?

Spider Man is in fortnite too, which instantly proves my point.

Probably so, but it is still speculation unless you know the details of the deal. You don't. Neither does screenrant.com.

Spider-man in Fortnite proves nothing. Kratos and Aloy are in Fornite as well.

oldergamer

It was connected to mavel using spiderman in the mcu i believe.

MonarchJT

Banned
I don’t know how they got these numbers but they don’t seem to hold up to two minutes of scrutiny

The highest selling CoD game, which is like ten years old, only sold 30 million copies. There are at least 115 million PS4s out there … how many Xboxes?

They would need to be selling like 80+ million units to have 55% of console gamers playing it. Again CoD is popular but it’s still just one game. Your argument about people buying Spider-Man because they already bought CoD is just wrong. The numbers don’t support what you’re saying at all. And if they did why isnt that knock on effect seen elsewhere?
console gamer don't buy the console where they CAN'T play those blockbusters fifa cod GTA Minecraft Fortnite. cod is very very very famous and the no.1 game on the playstation console

Last edited:
All jokes aside I think Sony buying Netflix Games would be a bigger move with their whole movie game story telling thing they seem to have down on point.

Last edited:

Three

console gamer don't buy the console where they CAN'T play those blockbusters fifa cod GTA Minecraft Fortnite. cod is very very very famous and the no.1 game on the playstation console
It's a good thing those games are on the console then right? So can you explain to me then. If I were to say people only play COD because GTA is on the console would I be right?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Probably so, but it is still speculation unless you know the details of the deal. You don't. Neither does screenrant.com.

Spider-man in Fortnite proves nothing. Kratos and Aloy are in Fornite as well.
We 100% know lol. Disney did not give away the exclusive game rights to the character that they desperate want the movie rights back for. In what world would that make sense?

Swift_Star

Banned
Something absurd like 55% of all gamers play COD according to the stats lol.

I guess 55% is a fraction so you're not wrong, it's just a lot bigger of a fraction than you thought it was.

They also play NBA, Fortnite, Madden, and FIFA. If the PS6 didn't have them, 20 million people wouldn't be buying Spider Man 3 on it.
Source?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Who is included in this "we"?
Everyone with common sense.

Disney/Marvel: “shit we really really want spider man in our movies because he’s the biggest superhero we have”

Also Disney/Marvel: “Hey why don’t we give away the video game rights as well!”

You see why that didn’t happen?

Ellery

Yes Sony are extremely good to make first party exclusive games.

The reason why Microsoft bought ActivisionBlizzard was not to have more exclusive games for their platform, but access to technologies and IPs they can use to advance the future of a digital platform.

KaiserBecks

Another angle to it all is if MS pulls big franchises like COD, the PS eco system will be fertile ground for other 3rd parties to gain ground. If you can't play COD, you'll play something else. Assuming the user base remains class leading.
I like this idea, but capable studios don‘t just appear out of the blue. We have seen many Halo killers for example, none of them particularly memorable.

ZehDon

Sony is finished.
If they survived the PS3, they can easily survive this. The PS3 lost so much money that Sony - not just PlayStation - was close to going under completely. Kaz turned that ship around, and Sony made some incredibly smart plays with PlayStation. The "It Only Does Everything" marketing campaign is one of the all time greats. Microsoft may back them into a corner, but definitely do not underestimate them.

MrFunSocks

Banned
If they survived the PS3, they can easily survive this. The PS3 lost so much money that Sony - not just PlayStation - was close to going under completely. Kaz turned that ship around, and Sony made some incredibly smart plays with PlayStation. The "It Only Does Everything" marketing campaign is one of the all time greats. Microsoft may back them into a corner, but definitely do not underestimate them.
Agreed. Sony are going nowhere, but they have a big struggle on their hands to keep their market dominance over Xbox both in terms of sales and brand perception and recognition.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Source that was debunked. They have no hard data to support that assertion. I’m still waiting for hard data. A quote isn’t Hard data.
Debunked? No one debunked it lol. Some people didn’t like it so tried to dismiss it, but it is what it is. Not knowing the hard data doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

The research firm have the hard data. I’m sure if you want to contact them they’ll give you the hard data, though you’ll probably have to pay for it.

reksveks

I think Spider-Man should be higher, because even that shitty 2014 Spider-Man sold well (considering how few consoles were sold in 2014). That franchise prints money.
what was the latest/total Spiderman sales number? PS4/PS4 Pro is in the 120m range and 17% of that is 20.4M (assuming the sample was purely ps users) but remember that that 17% also probably includes Xbox only console users so it could be about right.

Topher

Gold Member
We 100% know lol. Disney did not give away the exclusive game rights to the character that they desperate want the movie rights back for. In what world would that make sense?

Nah.....you are guessing just like everyone else. Like I said, you are probably right, but we "know" nothing for certain.

Inviusx

Nintendo is doomed then?

People will pay for games on PlayStation if that's the only way to play them. That's all.

Nintendo is in a different position. They don't rely on third party releases as much as Sony do. So Nintendo will live on regardless of MS/Sony shenanigans.

Swift_Star

Banned
Debunked? No one debunked it lol. Some people didn’t like it so tried to dismiss it, but it is what it is. Not knowing the hard data doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

The research firm have the hard data. I’m sure if you want to contact them they’ll give you the hard data, though you’ll probably have to pay for it.
I highly doubt that. Seems like they pulled their number out of their ass.

Pedro Motta

Something absurd like 55% of all gamers play COD according to the stats lol.

I guess 55% is a fraction so you're not wrong, it's just a lot bigger of a fraction than you thought it was.

They also play NBA, Fortnite, Madden, and FIFA. If the PS6 didn't have them, 20 million people wouldn't be buying Spider Man 3 on it.
The Switch does not have COD. Nintendo still pushes more hardware and games than Sony and Xbox.

what was the latest/total Spiderman sales number? PS4/PS4 Pro is in the 120m range and 17% of that is 20.4M (assuming the sample was purely ps users) but remember that that 17% also probably includes Xbox only console users so it could be about right.
I made a mistake. If they had included all 2014 Spider-Man game sales on consoles the 17% would be way lower since it was
released on Wii U, DS, PS3, 360, One and PS4. But if you would just add the 2014 PS4 sales to the Insomniac game it would be higher, i guess like 19-20% for the franchise.

Top Bottom