• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you have a "Next Gen Launch Date" ritual?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I make sure I clean my entire apartment as if I'm bringing a new baby home. I sometimes will rearrange the furniture and let people know not to call me unless it's an emergency. I eat before I pick up the box. There's no way I'm tainting this mammajamma with Doritos today. Not until she's comfortable. When I get home with the box, there is already a space cleared in my entertainment center for the new box (might be difficult with the XSX) but I make sure I burn in my memory the first moments of the unboxing. I read absolutely NO instructions, no safety warnings. In this console, I trust. After doing the obligatory setup before turning on the first game. When I turn on that game, I let all cinematics play, take a deep breath and hit the button. It's fuckin gametime!

Share people!

Vawn

Banned
I make sure I clean my entire apartment as if I'm bringing a new baby home. I sometimes will rearrange the furniture and let people know not to call me unless it's an emergency. I eat before I pick up the box. There's no way I'm tainting this mammajamma with Doritos today. Not until she's comfortable. When I get home with the box, there is already a space cleared in my entertainment center for the new box (might be difficult with the XSX) but I make sure I burn in my memory the first moments of the unboxing. I read absolutely NO instructions, no safety warnings. In this console, I trust. After doing the obligatory setup before turning on the first game. When I turn on that game, I let all cinematics play, take a deep breath and hit the button. It's fuckin gametime!

Share people!

Isn't the Internet great? Where else can you admit things like this and not get beaten up?

When I got my PS4 on launch day, I took it out of the box, set it up, popped in Call of Duty Ghosts (it was either that or Knack) and played for about an hour., which was enough to remind me that I probably should have gotten Knack instead. I spent another day or two checking if there were any future releases that might interest me (there weren't), before noticing that the console was sold out everywhere, and that people were paying ridiculous prices on eBay. I ended up selling both the console and the game within a week, which left me with a few hundred Euros more than I had paid for them.

I'm seriously thinking about doing it again this year.

VertigoOA

Banned
I usually upgrade my tv but I already made that purchase last year and have a great Samsung 4K set for reduced latency and proper hdr so I’m as ready as I can be.

I’m just hoping my esports shooter controllers are forward compatible for next gen ... it takes awhile for good 3rd party options to surface.

Last edited:
Haha, never thought about this, but here is my ritual:

Typically take the following day off if I don't have it off already
I usually make sure the spot it is going in is all cleared out and ready for the new console
Pick it up as soon as it releases (usually late night release at local game store), usually my nephew gets one as well so we show up together
Grab food on the way home
Get home, open up the console box and start eating our food while we admire the console in person
After that, hook it up, turn it on and adjust settings and download firmware updates
Once that is done, fire up a game and admire the graphics and game until 6am or so

When the PS4 released we got all sorts of PS4 swag from Gamestop while waiting in line, ready to do this all again for PS5!

MHubert

Usually, I hammer so much boose, and slam so many bong heads, that I run around my house screaming at my neighbour that he doesn't 'get it' while I violently shit my pants. This year I might take it to eleven, depending on TF.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Some of you guys have issues!
While there is always a level of excitement with getting something new, I do any setup needed and make sure it works as it should and play a game.

Psykodad

Banned
Normally I'd just take the day off, make sure I've got something to eat and drink, send a pic of the box to friends over whatsapp, hook it up, post a pic of my new console on social media, install everything and enjoy the shit out of it for the rest of the day.

This time however, it'll be the first time that I'll get my son his own brand new next-gen console day 1, so we both can enjoy our PS5s together right from the start.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Day off work, anxiously wait for its arrival then play the fuck out of it, with some booze, for the rest of the day

GymWolf

not really, no.

i mean, maybe i save some of the good weed and some pricey snack for the event, but i do that with films or games, not only new consoles.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
PlayStation Vita is the only console I've ever picked up on day one, if I remember correctly, and I've been playing games since -87. And thanks to the PS4 Pro it probably won't happen again. So no ritual, other than queuing with a shitload of other people for the Vita, of course.

R6Rider

Gold Member
All I know is I need to get a 4k Tv or monitor by then. I still use a 27in 1080p monitor, which is pretty much the perfect size. 1080p on 27in is pushing it tho, especially at the distance I sit.

Bankai

All I know is I need to get a 4k Tv or monitor by then. I still use a 27in 1080p monitor, which is pretty much the perfect size. 1080p on 27in is pushing it tho, especially at the distance I sit.

Same here. I won't be getting a PS5 before I get a LG C9 (hdmi 2.1 features FTW).

Codes 208

Normally i take the following day off and buy some snacks and stay in all day. But this coming gen may be the first i skip in favor of pc gaming (excluding nintendo and possibly ps5 when it gets exclusives that im interested in. Like bloodborne 2)

Last edited:

Ellery

Yeah cleaning is very important for me aswell. I would not call it ritual, but preparation.

Perfect would be (before the PS5 arrives at my doorstep) :

- Cleaning everything. Especially the room I am gaming in. TV has to be CRISP. No DUST !
- Kitchen stocked with drinks and snacks.
- Big shower before starting to play on the console
- Weekend or even better vacation.
- Days before console launch I sorted things out so I have no errands to run etc.
- Taking a big poop before would be nice too, but this one is harder to time.

cireza

I do buy consoles day-one, especially Nintendo consoles to have a white screen. But I might stop doing this as I care less and less about Nintendo.

But otherwise, I don't do anything special, unless maybe deciding of where I am going to put the console, obviously.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Haha, never thought about this, but here is my ritual:

Typically take the following day off if I don't have it off already
I usually make sure the spot it is going in is all cleared out and ready for the new console
Pick it up as soon as it releases (usually late night release at local game store), usually my nephew gets one as well so we show up together
Grab food on the way home
Get home, open up the console box and start eating our food while we admire the console in person
After that, hook it up, turn it on and adjust settings and download firmware updates
Once that is done, fire up a game and admire the graphics and game until 6am or so

When the PS4 released we got all sorts of PS4 swag from Gamestop while waiting in line, ready to do this all again for PS5!
Omg you can eat while that monster sits inyour car?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yes its called play a shitty game at launch from the limited selection because I have to justify the hardware purchase to myself.

Mister D

First I make sure the console meets my criteria for grabbing it.
Then I create a clean room by covering everything in plastic.
Once I have the console secured and locked in, I slice into it and take a sample of the plastic as a memento.
Then I stab the console right in the disc drive for a quick, clean kill.
Then I slice it into small chunks, wrap them in plastic, and dump them in the ocean.

Sorry, been binge watching Dexter. Usually, I just buy the friggin thing and play whatever games I bought with it. Hopefully, with PS5 I can download all my digital PS3 and PS4 games and play a whole lot more stuff than the generally mediocre launch games.

Justin9mm

I wait 3 months for prices to settle down in Iraq and then buy the thing.
In Australia price stays the same until pretty much an official price drop or sale probably a year later or more and wouldn't be much. So doesn't work for us here. Sounds like your country corruptly jacks up the price then lowers it once the hype dies down. Usually the RRP is the RRP and for a good while.

Ryu Kaiba

Even before a game i'm excited about launches, My ritual is to clear my schedule, put on a pot of coffee, close the shades, turn off my phone, lock the doors pull the sofa chair up close to the TV get nice and cozy and settle in. I'll be doing this for FF7 in a few months.

Ryu Kaiba

Some of you guys have issues!
While there is always a level of excitement with getting something new, I do any setup needed and make sure it works as it should and play a game.

No, bro. And clean your damned houses more.

Don't be lame, up your ritual game. People do it before football or before there favorite TV shows or movies. Why can't we do it for vidoegames.
It enhances the experience try it.

ViolentP

Don't be lame, up your ritual game. People do it before football or before there favorite TV shows or movies. Why can't we do it for vidoegames.
It enhances the experience try it.

I'm fairly certain I have been playing longer than you have and assure you, it's not about lack of appreciation but rather outgrowing it. I don't frown upon anyone's ritual however. Still, clean your fucking houses, people.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
PlayStation Vita is the only console I've ever picked up on day one, if I remember correctly, and I've been playing games since -87. And thanks to the PS4 Pro it probably won't happen again. So no ritual, other than queuing with a shitload of other people for the Vita, of course.
Whats wrong with the pro?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm fairly certain I have been playing longer than you have and assure you, it's not about lack of appreciation but rather outgrowing it. I don't frown upon anyone's ritual however. Still, clean your fucking houses, people.
Im cleaning right now because of you, Mary Poppins!

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Whats wrong with the pro?

Oh, nothing. Just the usual...

thrust.gif

Top Bottom