• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You are allowed to erase 3 games from your memory so you can experience them again for the first time. Which ones you choose?

BlueLyria

Hyperdimension neptunia Victory / Re;birth 3
VA-11 HALL-A
Any Etrian Odyssey

Bonus picks:
Half Life 1
Valkyria Chronicles
Borderlands 2
Fire Emblem Awakening (Except the part of getting Chrom'd)
FF 8

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
TLOU SERIES
BIOSHOCK
COD 4: MODERN WARFARE

Honorable mentions

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
God of War
DBZ Budokai 2

Last edited:
Assuming I get a Time Machine to replay in that time.

Mario 64 - first seeing Mario run around in 3d was mind blowing. It still retains that magic to this day

Ocarina of time - the primas strategy guide. The time in my life was so simple. The characters the dungeons. The sense of a fully realized fantasy adventure perfectly translated into 3d. It’s a sister experience to Mario 64.

Half Life Alyx- I knew it was the pivotal vr experience before I played it. So I took it extra slow. I looked at every single object right up to my virtual eyeballs. It’ll honestly be the benmark game for every new headset in the future I presume.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Vagrant Story PSX I had a blast with this game, I wonder what a good voice over would have done for this game. Nevertheless it is perfect as it is.
Silent Hill 2 PS2 This game again amazed me when it was released, the TGS trailer sold the game to me. It was so magnificent the audio the voice over the story, the graphics.
Metal Gear Solid PSX This game made me jump ship from Nintendo sinking boat to Playstation forever. Loved it! i was stuck with N64, I remember I finished it on a place where they let you play 30min for a certain amount of money, I finished it on that place. And then I had to have a PS2. I never looked back at Nintendo again. They were/are stuck with the old ways of making games.

DJ12

OG Final fantasy 7 (kinda happening with the remake if they dont fuck up the remaining parts)

Final Fantasy 8

Final Fantasy 9

I could go on but you get the point lol

A lot of great games don't lose that much on the replay... so that pushes me towards more story or exploration driven games of which I generally don't care that much but standouts that come to mind:
Red Dead Redemption
BioShock
Fallout

TLOU but I'd rather just forget the DLC and sequel :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SpiceRacz

Super Mario 64 - This is arguably the most important game ever made and probably the most impressive thing Nintendo has ever released. Their first attempt at 3D Mario and they fucking nailed it. Mario 64 basically informed all 3D game design going forward. It's a total "time and place" sort of game and I imagine it will show up a lot in this thread.

Shenmue - It was such a special experience at the time that I never went back and played it again.

Edellus

Final Fantasy IX
World of Warcraft (TBC and WotLK)
Final Fantasy XIV

It took me a while to make up my mind of my top 3.

Sometimes I actually try to kind of forget a game, so when I replay it I get at least a bit of that first experience again. Right now I'm doing that with FFXVI, by trying out and playing as many different games as possible before I replay it on the hard mode.

This is going to date me a bit, but what the hell. In chronological order of games that blew me away and gave me an unforgettable experience:

1. Secret of Mana - I had played a few RPGs prior to this, but everything about this game blew me away at the time. The graphics, the style, the story, the fact battles were real time instead of turn based. This is one of the games that cemented gaming as a serious hobby for me.

2. Shenmue - going back and playing this game now it doesn't stand up, but at the time I had never played another game that felt like I had so much freedom. I could buy things from vending machines! I could fight, play, get a job, play arcade games, etc .... This was my first taste of the open world.

3. Skyrim - I missed almost all games between 2002 and 2010 because I was having real life adventures in China. Skyrim was a mind-blowing reintroduction to what gaming could be. I got completely lost in the game for almost a year after it released.

Close to making the list:
Ultima Online
Civilization II
Final Fantasy Tactics
Halo
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 3
Witcher 3

So many people saying BioShock, and I would have to agree. I played it way after release, but by God what a great world reveal. It drew you in so much.

Robb

Gold Member
That’s tough..

I think I’d delete BotW from existence, forget about TotK and then re-experience TotK.

Half-Life 2 and episodes would be another one. Or maybe Portal 2.

The original Super Mario Galaxy as well. But I’d also have to erase the sequel, otherwise there’d be no point.

Last edited:
RE7 VR
Bloodborne
SOTN

Honorable mention- HL Alex, Dark Souls 3, Blaster Master
I ultimately picked alyx due to RE Being a titch jank modded with vr also having a terrible last area on that ship, I was kinda over it by then. but RE7 vr was something else. A couple scares in that game were so top notch in vr.

Last edited:
The Witness
Small spoilers follow.
I'd really like to reexperience the moment when the not so obvious game mechanics manifest before you and you realize that stuff was always there.

Fools idol

Banned
baldurs gate 3
dark souls
half life 2

the fact we only get games like those once in a generation made this quite easy

DeepSpace5D

Nice to see all the Shadow of the Colossus love.

Mine would be:

1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. Silent Hill
3. The Witness

Top Bottom