• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like Chromatic Aberration in video games

Do you like Chromatic aberration?

• Yes

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • No

Votes: 206 76.6%
  • Idk what that is

Votes: 19 7.1%

• Total voters

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
With the recent release of Resident evil 4 remake capcom finally gave console users the option to turn this off…. So do you ?

Last edited:

KillaJamm

It depends on the implementation. With chromatic aberration and motion blur some devs go overboard with the effect and it can really mess up the image quality. Then in some games it is quite subtle and actually look better when it's enabled. Just always give the option to tone it down or turn it off I'd say.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It made sense in Alien Isolation and added to the aesthetic but whenever it shows up in other games where it makes absolutely no sense for it to be there, then I turn that shit off.

The lens effect in RE games is also annoying so turning that off completely along with chroma effect is a win-win for me.

Roberts

Like it a lot. Don’t really have anything to defend it other than that I just find it more pleasing to an eye. I’m also OK with filmmakers adding grain, CA, gateweave to digitally shot films so what do I know.

Banned
Hate it. Games are wasting performance on this junk while we're also told aniso texture filtering is too taxing.

it never was too taxing, devs literally often just forgot to turn it on.
digital foundry had some anecdotes of talking to developers and asking them about it... they literally often just forgot to turn it on and didn't notice that the textures look like soup apparently.

which is crazy tbh. and makes it easy to see how the broken CBR in the PS5 version of RE4 managed to make it to the final game.
same with the wrong stick settings on Xbox

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter to me. I check to make sure the game is on performance mode and then make sure the gamma and hdr settings look correct. That’s it, don’t care about motion blur or chromatic aberration or film grain.

As long as these things are implemented correctly that is. Sometimes games go overboard with certain post processing and it’s improved by turning it off.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Just like depth of field and film noise, these are there to give the game a more filmic look, its an acquired taste for those that enjoy cinematic aesthetic in a video game, it works for game such as Detroit Become Human.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
why not throw a hammer at your TV too? more defects!!!
tAy6N34.jpg

Rayderism

I'll use motion blur on 30fps games, just to minimize the judder, but off for VRR supported games, 60fps or higher. All that other stuff though, I just turn 'em off.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Yeah I do. All the effects tend to hide aliasing and make the game look a bit more natural on the contrary…
I hate chromatic aberration, and I've gone to great lengths to disable it even when there isn't an in-game option available, but I actually agree with this. Same with film grain. They create the illusion that, behind these effects, the game might actually look photorealistic. With these effects off, it's more obvious that the world is constructed from 3D meshes.
It's not enough to get me to enable these effects though.

Under-hated post-processing effect: sharpening. Recently some games only offer blurry AA solutions + sharpening filters, and I fucking hate it. Some games offer the option to disable it (probably because they also offer superior alternative AA), others have an always-on sharpening filter even if they have better AA solutions, specifically to harass me.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Only two games I've tried benefit from it.

Cyberpunk 2077 and Hogwarts Legacy. Even film grain looks good/better in Hogwarts Legacy - without chromatic aberration and film grain it looks extremely dull.

So I can only say that it depends on the game and implementation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. I always turn that shit off along with camera shake, motion blur, head bobbing and whatever other shit I see as well, shit. lol

K2D

Banned
Oh I LOVE it. I also love "smashed glass screen" phone wallpapers... Scratching a brand new car right before I drive it off the lot.... wearing the wrong prescription glasses to go drive.... I'm a moron!!
Never peeling the plastic wrapper off of new appliances™

I don't really mind it. What I do mind is aliasing, and chromatic aberration can help fuzzify edges and add (arbitrary) colorfulness to a scene. I much prefer DLSS and FSR as solutions to aliasing, though.

xrnzaaas

I always have it turned off if the game allows it and it bothers me in some games without the toggle switch (if the aberration is strong). Same with motion blur.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hate chromatic aberration, and I've gone to great lengths to disable it even when there isn't an in-game option available, but I actually agree with this. Same with film grain. They create the illusion that, behind these effects, the game might actually look photorealistic. With these effects off, it's more obvious that the world is constructed from 3D meshes.
It's not enough to get me to enable these effects though.

Under-hated post-processing effect: sharpening. Recently some games only offer blurry AA solutions + sharpening filters, and I fucking hate it. Some games offer the option to disable it (probably because they also offer superior alternative AA), others have an always-on sharpening filter even if they have better AA solutions, specifically to harass me.
Dude sharpening is the worst.
And that dirty lens effect like if your are looking through a dirty window. That shit is inexcusable

Top Bottom