• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like Chromatic Aberration in video games

Do you like Chromatic aberration?

• Yes

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • No

Votes: 206 76.6%
  • Idk what that is

Votes: 19 7.1%

• Total voters

Bojji

Worst graphical "effect" in history of gaming.

This shit should have toggle to be turned off in console settings.

I don't get why so many devs like this shit, it fucks image quality of every game it is used in (RE4 is extreme example).

Last edited:
I don't like it, unless it's something like a sanity effect, pops up after taking a beating or something.

Otherwise it's like asking if I like a blurry game or a black and white image style aesthetic.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I leave it on most of the time. Only disable motion blur.

kanye west GIF

Bojji

Bloodborne looks incredible with CA. Adds to the atmosphere 👍

Hahahaha, i don't know about you but when i think about victorian era (inspiration for art) chromatic aberration is not something that comes to my mind. Only thing it does in BB is ruining IQ (that is already aliased enough).

TrueLegend

When you turn off vignette and ca in Elden Ring the game's quality gets roughly 20% boost not to mention the framerate improvement. Both those effects are useless as f

I know a lot of people hate it but I'm not even sure what it is exactly.
it's a low-fi effect where the edges of things or specific colors, in specific parts of the image, break out in several colors.

Similar to out of focus pictures using plastic lenses. It's really common in photography for lenses outside of the centre using fast exposition times. Shit lenses will smear it everywhere.

As with everything videogame related, the big issue is not just the fact that they thought that effect was a good idea, it's usually that they make it very noticeable and often don't allow turning it off.

Belthazar

Only when the game has a sort of neon/cyberpunk aesthetic, then I turn it up to eleven. Otherwise I just turn it off whenever possible.

Larxia

I despise it with all my being.
Absolutely hate it, especially since I already suffer from it in real life because of glasses (actually made a thread here about it a while ago https://www.neogaf.com/threads/glas...-distortions-how-do-you-deal-with-it.1494316/ ).

I still haven't played Elden Ring because of that, I know you can mod it out, but then you can't play online anymore.

I'll never understand how this became a trend, chromatic aberration is a lens defect, it's a problem, the cinema industry kept trying to improve the quality of lenses to get rid of it, but in video games, a media that doesn't have it because by nature video game is a perfectly clean, raw 3D scene, they ADD that on purpose. Makes absolutely no sense.

GametimeUK

I hate it, but in some instances I kind of appreciate it. Sometimes it's been acceptable for me along with film grain in a Sci-fi or Horror setting. 99% of the time I turn it off.

RafterXL

If developers actually knew how to use it, and where it was appropriate I'd love it, but unfortunately most don't and it ends up hurting the experience.

Thebonehead

Banned
I mean, The clue is in the name.

aberration
/ˌabəˈreɪʃn/

a departure from what is normal, usual, or expected, typically an unwelcome one.

Just like motion blur is an abomination

Last edited:

Killer8

"The human eye does not see chromatic aberration" posters forgetting that in every single third person game you are controlling a camera suspended above the character.

ZoukGalaxy

CA is fucking lens DEFECT in photography, it's a diffraction of light resulting in a separation of colors and we fight it as much as possible by buying higher quality and extremely COSTLY lenses and Devs just though was a good idea to... use it ?

RMpjdYF.png

VKCuarr.png

There is a reason if it's called an ABERRATION, and its usage is also a pure ABERRATION.

You can die chromatic ABOMINATION.
Kill It With Fire GIF

For people not knowing what it is, here a example, Chromatic Abomination is especially visible near edges of a photography with high contrast, left picture is without CA, right picture is with CA :

PjUcl8t.jpg

Basic readings : What is Chromatic Aberration ?

Last edited:

Aenima

Its my most hatted visual effect from last gen that somehow alot of devs are still using it. It just makes the edges of the screen all blurred, and ruins screenshots. I always turn it off when thers an option to do so.

Last edited:
Depends on the game. A lot people sound like they get aneurysm for watching it.
I feel the same way(and in regards to film grain too). Theoretically, when done right it can enhance a game artistically, making you almost feel like you're looking at a movie.

FearlessIcyFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

ActiveRichFish-size_restricted.gif

c6c2b542b69012657062835edc049651957e8a3b.gif

Too many people online complain about CA and film grain lately though, which is why I see them both used less and less lately in games.

If used at all (aside from using as an effect like it being used when the main character is glitching out in Cyberpunk) it should be almost imperceptible, a lot of the time though it’s just too heavy handed and just needlessly muddies the image at the edges of the screen.

karasu

Is this that thing where when you first go inside a building everything goes black like your eyes are adjusting to the light? If so I hate it.

Sometime I like it sometime I don't. I even used it a lots in my painting.
Don't see any problem with it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
the wolf of wall street GIF

The worst image-quality degrading effect. I always have it off whenever given the choice/option.

Last edited:
Top Bottom