• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like Chromatic Aberration in video games

Do you like Chromatic aberration?

• Yes

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • No

Votes: 206 76.6%
  • Idk what that is

Votes: 19 7.1%

• Total voters
I don't know what you guys are talking about look here,
ZQ4HUSo.jpg

Clearly Chromatic Aberration adds to stability and clarity unless you need glasses. Clearly in this image example CA being off is the picture on the left, very messy and unclear, while the clean clear stable image with CA ON is on the right.

So it's a must to have it on all the time for the best picture quality.

Lol jk, can't see shit in that right pic, getting a headache. Turn that crap off.

Last edited:
Sometimes……. I just can’t tell and it’s really gotta be pointed out to me. Disclosure, I am severely color blind. Not sure if that has anything to do with it?

Bojji

"The human eye does not see chromatic aberration" posters forgetting that in every single third person game you are controlling a camera suspended above the character.

"Camera"? It isn't it, it could be a ghost with perfect eyesight for all i care not camera with shitty lenses (and poor resolution lol)

I feel the same way(and in regards to film grain too). Theoretically, when done right it can enhance a game artistically, making you almost feel like you're looking at a movie.

FearlessIcyFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

ActiveRichFish-size_restricted.gif

c6c2b542b69012657062835edc049651957e8a3b.gif

Too many people online complain about CA and film grain lately though, which is why I see them both used less and less lately in games.

They can add whatever shitty effect they like, i don't care as long they give option to disable it. It's as simple as that.

I welcome the effect along with other visual imperfections like blurring objects not in focus and losing visibility of things in the distance.

It can breathe some life into perfect sterile video game worlds when done tastefully, but I get the desire for 100% visual clarity on everything in games.

DelireMan7

The first things I do when I fire up a game:

Turn off chromatic aberration.
Turn off depth of field.
Turn off motion blur.
Turn off film grain.
Turn on performance mode.
Increase field of view.
Turn off any joystick acceleration.

The first thing I do when fire up a game :

Press New game

I never venture in the option menus, especially those related to graphics and such. I don't get half of the stuff and anyway don't see difference when they are on or off xD

Also can someone provide a nice comparison of chromatic aberration on/off ?

Ulysses 31

It can be effective in some (dreamlike) sequences but it detracts more than it adds when it's there the whole time IMO.

Toots

Gold Member
The first things I do when I fire up a game:

Turn off chromatic aberration.
Turn off depth of field.
Turn off motion blur.
Turn off film grain.
Turn on performance mode.
Increase field of view.
Turn off any joystick acceleration.
So you fire up your PC, do step 1 to 4, then switch your PS5 on to turn on performance mode, then go back to your computer for step 6 and 7 ?
:messenger_grinning_sweat:
Seriously tho I remember Uncharted 4 photo mode having a slider for chromatic aberration (and a lot of other stuff) and it was fun playing with it and gave a more realistic feel to the image when used parcimoniously. That is why i tend to keep it on most of the time.

Demigod Mac

It should only be used as a temporary effect for conveying distortion, like if your character gets struck in the head, electromagnetic interference, etc.

It causes my eyes physical pain to even look at it for a couple of seconds... I can't imagine having it enabled full-time; I'd probably feel ill after a few minutes.

chromatic-aberration2.jpeg

Gross.

Esca

I always turn it off. My eyes literally hurt and I start getting a headache looking at it after a a few seconds. Even after not looking at it the pain takes 15+ minutes till it passes.

Top Bottom