• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you sell your old consoles?

Do you sell your old consoles?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• These poll options are too limited. Please see my comment for my take.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I have nearly every console I've ever owned in storage, holding on mainly for nostalgia purposes and
A) the hope that they someday increase in value on the secondhand market or
B) I can give them to someone else who would appreciate them someday.

If I actually play an older game these days, it's typically through emulation, but I like the thought of having them on-hand in case I want an experience as it was originally intended.

The console that inspired this thread is my PS4. I have a PS5 and have been thinking about selling my PS4 for a while now, since back-compatibility is great on PS5. If I didn't have P.T. installed on the PS4, I would've sold it already.

So I'm curious: do you sell your old consoles?

Never. I still have my NES and everything inbetween.

My daughter gets to play a lot of this stuff I have on hand - it's fun and wonderful to impart this to next generation. And, of course, I still play them myself.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have a ton of old consoles, either ones I've had myself or ones my kids have had over the years. I'm like OP though, I typically play old stuff through emulation (retro achievements, upscaling, etc. make it a better experience overall) or through backwards compatibility.

I keep thinking I should either sell or donate this stuff. I sold off a huge chunk of my retro collection a couple of years ago, and that worked out great.

The other day I was talking with my mom who has been watching The Last of Us (the show). She asked "so, if I was going to play the video game, what kind of game system would I need?". I told her I'd be happy to box up my PS4 (or PS4 Pro) and send it to her along with my copy of the remastered game. She said, "nah, that's a big hassle." I guess things might be different if anyone in my extended family was into gaming.

angrod14

Yes, for 3 reasons:

1) I use the money from the sale to put it into the new console, so that way I don't absorbe the full price.

2) It allows me to get rid of electronics that I will no longer use, and prevent piling up electronics in my house.

3) It may sound kind of silly, but It allows me to peacefully part ways with a device that brought great memories for me, and to hope will bring those for another person too, instead of just being there collecting dust and forgotten.

Remember this things have a lifespan (especially the newer consoles), so selling them may be the best way to get rid of them before they hit the bucket. Unless, of course, you're commited to constantly restoring the console as components fall down.

Last edited:

begotten

I've heard some pretty bad trade in stories from friends.

I knew someone who flipped most of their childhood collection just to get a PS2.

I also had a friend who traded in his GBC and like 20+ games just to get Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil 1 on NGC at a pawn shop.

Like seriously I can't believe people don't hold onto their stuff and if you're that desperate just get a job lol

Last edited:

Midn1ght

I gave my ps4 away to my nephew.
I kept my 360 on the shelf.
That's it. I never had more consoles
You're such a nice (and grumpy let's be honest) uncle.

How is he enjoying the Steam Deck? I remember you saying you gave him one for Christmas.

I'm really close to pull the plug since it's on sale right now but wondering if my 7 years old daughter would be able to enjoy it for simple casual gaming. That thing is huge and I worry it'll be too big for her hands.

As for the question: I sold every consoles I ever owned. Bought a PS3 again last year to try some exclusives I never played which prompted me to fall in the rabbit hole of collecting physical games again. I'll probably sell everything I've amassed in the last 16 months to finance the Steam Deck.

Last edited:

ironmang

WiiU and 3DS are the only ones I've gotten rid of.

3DS was because of a housecleaning kick and I regret it.

WiiU went towards my Switch and I'm glad to never have to see that stupid giant gamepad ever again.

wvnative

Only if a new console is BC with the old one.

Having access to all of the games i've collected over the years is vital to me, but I try to be efficient. PS5 plays PS4 games just fine, so don't need a PS4 anymore. PS2 and PS3 play PS1 games just fine, so a PS1 is worthless.

Mr Hyde

I've sold and given away a couple of consoles during the years.

As a young teenager I sold my NES and Mega Drive so I could buy a Playstation.

When I was 20 something, I sold my Sega Saturn and all my games (which I deeply regret).

When I was 25ish I sold my GameCube and my Dreamcast (and all games. Didn't have that many anyway.)

Gave away my Wii to my nephew when I discovered it really wasn't my thing.

The only consoles I own now are PS1, PS2, PS3, PS5 and Nintendo Switch (but I only have PS3, Switch and PS5 hooked up due to backwards compatibility) As my financial situation improved over the years as a working adult I've tried to rebuy every game I've sold throughout the years through re-releases, remasters, remakes or retro collections. And I'm not planning on selling anything else ever again. I've managed to slim my collection enough to have a modest set of consoles and a large collection of games, ranging from new to old.

TexMex

I did in college to keep the lights on around 2008 or so. Kick myself when I see what stuff in my collection goes for these days.

Been slowly rebuying a lot of it in recent years, but it’s been rough.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I usually give them away to family or friends that are in need but can't afford them.

I barley find time to replay older games so there is no need for me to be all nostalgic. I just move along whenever new hardware comes out.

fermcr

Yes. Always sell them. Had a PS2, sold it. Had a PS3 and Xbox360, sold them. Had a PS4 Pro, sold it.

No intention of getting consoles in the near future. Consoles in my hand have very little use. Nowadays only play games on my PC... and that's more then enough.

I have my import Famicom disk system, famicom, and super famicom with a ton of imported games yet still CIB yet. I’ll never get rid of those as they were part of my childhood. I still have my N64, Dreamcast, and PS1 as they were bought for me by my father and have sentimental value and memories attached to them since he passed away four years ago.

My 360, PS3, Xbox One I got rid of as well as my GameCube which I do regret.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am guilty of it, but it was usually for other game related items. I regret some of it. I ended up owning 2-3 Xbox and GameCubes even though I had the console at launch. I sold them for games for other consoles. I sold my launch N64 to help pay for my PS2. The worst part was I kept all my games and cables in mint condition. I did it because I didn’t have the money. As a kid having played the games I wanted to play, it made sense to trade it in. I don’t do it anymore for console because consoles are harder to come by and they’ve skyrocketed in price. I left my 360 at my mom’s when I left. There wasn’t a game I’d play on it. It’s not worth much and most games I played. I don’t have a gaming family outside my own. They dabble with Nintendo, but that’s it. I once wanted to buy my nephew a 2DS, but she argued against it. No sense in investing into someone who doesn’t care.
I've heard some pretty bad trade in stories from friends.

I knew someone who flipped most of their childhood collection just to get a PS2.

I also had a friend who traded in his GBC and like 20+ games just to get Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil 1 on NGC at a pawn shop.

Like seriously I can't believe people don't hold onto their stuff and if you're that desperate just get a job lol
I did this. My worst: It was during a slow period for the GameCube. All the games I had I finished or I didn’t want to play. It was still worth quite a bit of money. I took my GC and boxed copies of Lunar 1 & 2, Valkyrie Profile, Dragon Warrior VII, and etc. I did it all for an Xbox and a stack of games. I ended up getting close to $700. I was a teenager. I thought it was cool to walk in there and get another game at full price with credit. Looking back, not a game I bought with that credit is worth anything remotely close to what I traded in.

Last edited:

drganon

Ive never sold any of my consoles as of yet, but I do plan on donating my old 360 and possibly my Xbox one to good will.I don't use them and I wouldn't get much money for either anyway.

nani17

are in a big trouble
never-harrypotter.gif

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Did sell PS4 Pro and some special editions 3DSes.

May sell my SNES if I ever get a Super NT.

May sell my Game Boy SP and DS Lite since I have a 3DS and Analogue Pocket.

Last edited:

LQX

Sold all my consoles as I did think they would become so collectable, also to make space for the latest. Regret selling my Dreamcast the most as I had so many damn good games for it and now nearly all of them sell for insane amounts.

oji-san

Banned
Only sold once, my PS4 + PS4 Pro, for about $400 both, not much but i don't sale i always give or throw away so my sister suggested to sale and in 2 hours a kid came and bought it, will keep selling in the future.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah, only kept my N3DS because it’s a dream handheld and the Switch doesn’t come close in terms of backwards compatibility. Everything else I just think is pointless.

Impotaku

Never, same with the games either which is why i'm not crying over prices retro games have ended up at or no backwards compatability. Anything i want to play i can do so right now going back to gen 1

SeraphJan

It depends, for example PS1 would have no use once you own a PS2, sames goes for PS4 when you own PS5

Its the games that matters not the hardware, as long as you have a better way of playing them, no use to keep the console, this is why backward compatibility in new console is so important, you could save more space and less trouble with all the wires.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You're such a nice (and grumpy let's be honest) uncle.

How is he enjoying the Steam Deck? I remember you saying you gave him one for Christmas.

I'm really close to pull the plug since it's on sale right now but wondering if my 7 years old daughter would be able to enjoy it for simple casual gaming. That thing is huge and I worry it'll be too big for her hands.

As for the question: I sold every consoles I ever owned. Bought a PS3 again last year to try some exclusives I never played which prompted me to fall in the rabbit hole of collecting physical games again. I'll probably sell everything I've amassed in the last 16 months to finance the Steam Deck.
haha thanks. Yeah the steam deck is his bread and butter now. He loves that thing and I am sending him steam money too lol.
I miss the deck but honestly he makes a better use of it than me... like... any use at all :p
I do think nintendo switch would be an easier gift and easier to enjoy. Steam deck is very advanced and we might not even be able to realize how much of a headache it is

Roberts

Hmm, I have to try and remember everything:

Snes, Neo Geo, Mega Drive - left it at my parents house when I left. These are probably gone by now.
3DO - Sold it. Phew.
PS1 - gave it to my ex-gf.
PS2 - stopped working. Threw it out.
Gamecube and Wii - Gave it to my mom. She loves that kind of shit.
Xbox and Xbox 360 - still have them both but only 360 is connected to my system.
PS3 sold it at the very end of the gen. Still have my Psp and Vita, though.
Xbox One - Gave it to my mom. She uses it as a blu-ray player.
Xbox One X and Ps4 Pro - sold em.
PS5 - My nephew really wanted ps5 and my sister find one. So I sold mine.

Last edited:
Nope. I still have pretty much every major console from my Atari 2600 and Intellivision up to my PS4/Xbox One VCR/Wii U sitting in a closet.

I'll hook them up some day. Just waiting for the urge to play Pitfall 2 or Bonk's Adventure, etc (and finding a way yo actually hook them up to a 2023 television).

reinking

Gold Member
I have some that I keep for nostalgia but I used to deal a lot. When I could not afford to buy many imported and expensive consoles/arcade cabinets I would trade and sell. I would trade with friends and search out pawn shops/flea markets looking for deals. It was a lot of fun and it kept me in a loop where I owned and got to experience almost every console and several arcade games that I otherwise would not have been able to afford. These days, I am too lazy to deal with that stuff. If I trade, I pretty much pay the idiot tax and it goes to Gamestop.

Last edited:

sedg87

Banned
Megadrive - My mum sold it to my uncle. Didn't even consult me about it and I never saw a penny. Good job it's mother's day here in the U.K otherwise she'd be getting DDT'd into the coffee table.
PS1 - Still got it. Packed away in a box in the attic.
Gamecube - Same fate as the PS1
Xbox - As above
PS2 - Gave it to my dad
PS3 - Gave it to my dad
Xbox 360 - In the attic. Dead. Still most likely wrapped in a towel.
PS4 - Gave it to my dad

My dad is responsible for so many of my best memories as a kid, especially when it comes to gaming, so I always offer him my previous-gen console. He's not a huge gamer - he mainly just plays cricket and fishing on the ps4 and Age of Empires on PS2.

Knightime_X

I didn't until I learned about emulation and how much better it actually is.
I started to give away my consoles starting with Gameecube, ps2 and onward. Never actually sold them.
Except for the ps3. I sold that because I wanted ps4 in a hurry.

Last edited:
The only consoles I've sold are the ones that were made completely redundant by another one of my consoles (Xbox One when I got the One X, One X when I get the Series X, and PS4 when I got the PS5), but even consoles like PS3/360 have enough games that aren't backwards compatible that are worth keeping a console for

If I still want to play exclusives on it or if it just offers an experience that isn't available elsewhere: no

Otherwise: yes

For example, there's no reason for me to own a PS4 since the PS5 came out. I've kept all my retro consoles since I only play them on a CRT and prefer the authentic experience before emulation.

I don't own a Wii U or any Xbox console anymore since there aren't any exclusives left I still want to play, so those are some examples of consoles that I've sold.

I also sold my 3DS since it never really clicked with me, it's my least favourite Nintendo handheld. Other than that I own pretty much every console.

poodaddy

I used to keep em, and I really liked having em, but it drove my wife crazy, and to be honest I realized eventually that nostalgia is kind of a poison, so I let em all go save for a PS3 and a 360, and when all the games available on those are ported to x86 platforms or modern consoles, I'll let them go too.

Now.....there are exceptions to this that my wife will just have to live with. One day, not anytime soon, but one day I will have a modified Dreamcast with the entire library on the console through flash storage. And two fight sticks with it.

One day....., but I've been saying one day for over ten years now :(

Top Bottom