• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Switch 2' Doesn't Really Need Backwards Compatibility - Nintendolife

Does Switch 2 Really Need Backwards Compatibility?

• Yes

Votes: 336 91.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 8.9%

• Total voters

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Jonah Hill Ok GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is there a technical reason BC could be hard to do? I didn't really follow latest news about Switch 2.
The only reason they would conceivably struggle with this would be if they switch architectures for the new console, which would require them to write emulation middleware to play the old games.

Like if they moved to their own custom CPU, rather than just using a faster / newer version of their existing chip.

TAS

It would be a big mistake to not include backwards compatibility but I would be shocked if they allow 4k upscaling with improved framerates. Nintendo knows they can easily release a definitive 4k 60fps Breath of the Wild down the road and make millions. :/

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't see why this won't be full BC? Wii U was BC with Wii software. 3DS was BC with DS software. Nintendo have a good recent track record. Assuming the next console doesn't attempt anything too drastically different from the switch (Nintendo would be idiots to go down that route) then I see no reason to worry.

Does anyone think this is games media helping Nintendo gauge the interest in Backwards Compatibility and if they can get away with not including it?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Games media? Yep games media...

How is it, that all gaming journalists are as thick as pigshit?

I'd say there's a good chance that they know their audience will click on any old rubbish and the more outlandish / console warring / obviously wrong stuff they write gets the most clicks.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It makes me feel bad seeing people buy a $300-$400 switch for Zelda just to have the console be a brick once the next console comes out. I’m already kind of burned about the VC on the 3DS and Wii U. They had solid GBA, N64, SNES, and etc available to play. Now it’s all behind a paywall.

It’s like Nintendo gets upset if they see you with a SNES cartridge because they’d rather see you buy an online sub and play the game that way. Nintendo sold so many Switches after COVID and all those people are looking at another 2-3 years before it’s a legacy console. All my digital games from the Wii up until now is money down the drain if my storage unit becomes corrupted.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s time yet for Nintendo to do The Great Reset.

I will laugh if it happens though.

Those of you who think ‘we have a digital library now, they can’t do that!’ underestimate Nintendo when it comes to them easily letting go of things whenever they feel like changing things up.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It doesn't necessarily need it, but of course it's better with BC. It adds to the value. Unless it's somehow expensive to implement. That changes the argument a little.

darthkarki

Do I want backwards compatibility? Of course, especially if they enhance Switch games. I really don't want to have to keep an older system around.

But will the system be successful without backwards compatibility? I'm sure it would be. I definitely don't think it needs it to be successful. I'm certainly going to get one either way, and I'm sure general audiences would too. The main point of getting the new system is for the new games.

Assuming the new system is basically a Switch 2 and doesn't do something super weird or confusing ala Wii U, then when it has a new Mario and Mario Kart and Zelda and Pokemon, etc. that are only on the new system, it's going to sell tons, regardless of BC.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I'm guessing Nintendo life has inside info it won't have BC and the reason for the article. Nintendo always does to its fans yet they keep buying 🙄 so of course it doesn't need BC. It's still gonna sell great and nintendo fans will makes excuses and accept it

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
If the Switch 2 doesn't have BC, my interest in getting it will fall off a cliff. I'm sure I'll pick it up several years later, walking through Target or something and seeing it, but I have so, so many Switch games that I still need to play, why bother?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oops wrong thread, sorry.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Switch 1 also didn't have an excuse to dismiss my Wii Virtual Console purchases either, but here we are.
That's because they decided that "renting" their back catalog/legacy titles to the consumer was infinitely more profitable than selling them piecemeal every new generation (or worse, letting you actually keep them every new generation).

Buggy Loop

Nintendolife probably already preparing the userbase for the inevitable.

Rumours a few months ago had said it's not the same cartridge so, bye bye BC.

That means Switch is probably the last console I bought.

If it has BC that enhances original Switch games then it would be a no brainer purchase for me. Otherwise, the only thing that could possibly tempt me is if Prime 4 is actually real and Switch 2 exclusive.

Does it ”need” backwards compatibility? Obviously not. We went through the NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube over the span of 15 years without compatibility.

I’d love OG Switch games to all run at a solid 60fps, though.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Every platform needs BC these days if nothing more than a good selling point to get current users to upgrade. It would be dumb not to.

zeldaring

Banned

Agreed this article was done for a reason. They probably have word Nintendo is not doing Bc and with the security features they mentioned it really paints a no bc picture.

It makes me feel bad seeing people buy a $300-$400 switch for Zelda just to have the console be a brick once the next console comes out.
Please explain. Will Nintendo push a firmware update that powers the console off permanently?

There are over 4000 Switch games. There are almost 1200 Switch games rated 75 or higher on metacritic. Even if production of all Switch games ceased immediately, you would never run out of games to play.

What is with you people? Imagine it’s 1990 and you are ignoring the SNES because it doesn’t play NES games.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Please explain. Will Nintendo push a firmware update that powers the console off permanently?

There are over 4000 Switch games. There are almost 1200 Switch games rated 75 or higher on metacritic. Even if production of all Switch games ceased immediately, you would never run out of games to play.

What is with you people? Imagine it’s 1990 and you are ignoring the SNES because it doesn’t play NES games.
Lol comparing switch 2 to super nes. We are not in the 90s and bc is a huge reason to buy current consoles also switch or switch 2 is nothing like the nes or super nes. They dominated the industry they had almost every third party game and the most powerful consoles.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Every console has a large list of games. They appeal as eye candy the moment they’re announced. Yeah, you can play BotW or Mario Odyssey now, but those games would sure look better running on better hardware. Hardware that doesn’t charge you again for the game or one that can also play the next big entry. Assume you already bought a Switch and you bought this new Switch model; you’re a collector and you’re ok with that. What about people who want the next Mario or some other big game, but they spent their video game budget on a Switch? You could be playing at all times of day, but you’re not. You’re playing when Fire Emblem comes out or when Bayonetta comes out. You aren’t going to settle because Bayonetta 1 and 2 came out. Here’s a thing I think about: I still remember buying and playing that game on an even older console. Another big example would be Monster Hunter. It’s good if you sink your teeth into it, but what about the person who is lttp? Wouldn’t it be nice to invest that much into something that won’t get rushed out the door? Not just because it has 4000 titles.

The moment they announce some special Mario, Zelda or Metroid for next gen, you’re not thinking about the Switch.

These are all different scenarios, but what about this. You sell your switch and your backlog of Switch digital titles. FOMO wears off and you go back to your collection and you realize they’re gonna try and sell you the same games you already purchased or worse they’ll deliver to you a cherry picked list behind a paywall.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

Whether it's "needed" aside, it's been part of N's strategy going back several generations now. It's how they maintain momentum when they launch a new console.

BC is always nice but what does it matter in this case? No one is forcing you to sell your old Switch. Just hang on to it. It's not like it takes up a copious amount of space.

The issue is the storefronts and whatnot eventually go down and are taken offline and the system is a brick other than old media playing on it, *if it still turns on. And patches for physical media would also be unavailable.

BC is a must in this day & age.

It’s not like GBA or GameCube or PS2 where games launched on a disc and were never updated again.

Last edited:

Rippa

My balls will literally be laughed clean off my body if the next Nintendo isn’t called “Switch 2” and doesn’t have BC.

Keihart

maybe they can sell you Zelda Tiktok HD on switch 2...idk, they could just say fuck it and not include it.
i wish it has it tho, it was bad enough how playstation said fuck it to my psp, psx and ps2 classics library this gen already....can't even push those old games downloads from web to my old devices and dont you even dare want them on you shiny PS5.

but what chu gonna do, you keep buying ports and remasters of old ass games and they want your money. At least xbox has it but why would anyone with a PC buy that shit.

Last edited:

Of course it's not going to be the same cartridge - they're going to need more space. But using a different cartridge doesn't mean it won't be backwards compatible. The 3DS used different carts than the DS, or at least physically different, but the slot accommodated for both types.

belmarduk

"Due to Nintendo's desire to resell you the game you've already bough, BC doesn't make sense"

middle-finger-laugh.gif

Exactly this... but nobody bought Wii U games and they couldn't have done the Switch with a disc drive. I've bought a remake one time and that was Twilight Princess because it had a cool amiibo that came with it.

Agreed this article was done for a reason. They probably have word Nintendo is not doing Bc and with the security features they mentioned it really paints a no bc picture.

I don’t think anyone at Nintendolife has any real inside knowledge. Pretty sure they wrote it for clicks.

Top Bottom