• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you sell your old consoles?

Do you sell your old consoles?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• These poll options are too limited. Please see my comment for my take.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I think we don't share the same notion of what is an old console. Yes, I still have my NES, Master System, MegaDrive, Mega-CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, 3DS, Vita and Wii U. All plugged and ready to go whenever I feel like it.
I hear you. I didn't call it out, but I have an NES, SNES, Genesis, to PS5 and consoles in between. Once I have a PS5 (new), the PS4 becomes old, imo

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I do. I used to be a game collector back before it was cool. I had most systems between NES and PS2. But when I decided to sell my collection I sold the systems as well. I think I still have my Dreamcast somewhere but I sold the games.

I currently just have my PS3, PS4, and Xbox One X. Looking to sell my PS4 because I never used it. Will keep the Xbox as a 4K DVD player for now and keeping the PS3 cause I want to play Metal Gear Solid 2-4. At this point going forward I am going to be PC only I think.

Very rare and the only time I might even consider it is if I have several of the same consoles lying around and I’m not playing them anymore. Also depends on how much I can get for my hardware if I’m selling it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sometimes. If it's at the end of a generation then they usually just go in a box somewhere until they have some retro value. If it's early in the cycle I'll probably sell it. Sold my Steam Deck because I didn't really like gaming on it and it still had all of its value.

LRKD

Once, I was giving it to my brother, but he insisted on giving me some money for it. Other than that I have never sold a console. I suppose I have also 'gifted' a few consoles I had spares of in the past, and once traded a SNES for a Genesis. Other that that, I keep 'em all!

Pelao

No, but my parents did use to sell them when I was a kid, but I still have my Atari 800XL (my first console), PS2, PS3, PS4 Pro, PSP, PS Vita and New 3DS XL. I gave my PS4 and Xbox One X to my older brother, and will probably give him my PS5 and Series X if Pro versions come out.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Sold them all and got a MISTer. Couldn’t be happier.
I'm on a video game forum, so I consider myself somewhat in the know, but this is new to me. Looked it up just now. Is this a one-box buy or do you like compile the different parts yourself? How is it different from PC emulation?

SRTtoZ

Well for example I sold my Xbox One X before I got a Series X, and then I sold my PS4 Pro before I got a PS5. They are redundant so I didn't see any reason to keep them. Now something like a PS Vita or PSP I would keep but I sold mine long ago because I dint play them.

Fbh

Generally if the new console has backwards compatibility I will sell my old one.

Saw no reason to keep my ps4 pro around and it ended up paying for more than half of my Ps5.

It's one of the reason I always want backwards compatibility. Since it allows me to sell my old consoles, it's indirectly making the new one cheaper

hinch7

Depends, if there's a fundamental problem or issue with the gen 1 console I'll replace for the fixed iterations, otherwise no. The only ones I've sold was when I traded in my phat PS3 (due to horrendous noise and inevitable YLOD) to upgrade for a Slim model. And the OG Xbox 360 to the slim.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. Always. Traded in the Xbox One X and Nintendo Switch in Fall 2019. Then traded in the PlayStation 4 in October 2020 before the current generation consoles released. Couldn't get them at launch but came away with an Xbox Series X in early January 2021 and PlayStation 5 in mid-February. Will trade in both consoles once the next generation consoles get close to release.

MastAndo

I used to trade them in for store credit towards a new console at GameStop back in the day, but more recently, I've been giving them away to family and friends for their kids to use.

StereoVsn

It depends on BC. Had no reason to keep Xbox One X, for example, when getting XSX. Ditto for PS4 to PS4 Pro to PS5. Yes, there are some edge cases where it would be good to have these, but overall not a big deal.

On the other hand I have a Dreamcast, PS2 and PS3 still. Plus have a Wii in the closet (for GameCube and Wii games). BC for these consoles is not straightforward. 16bit ones though I just emulate.

I have a PSP but recently picked it up. Mainly though I use hacked Vita for that. And I do have DSi XL and new 3DS XL.

So it really depends on the situation. For example even for consoles I got rid of, I still have bunch of games.

AngelMuffin

I'm on a video game forum, so I consider myself somewhat in the know, but this is new to me. Looked it up just now. Is this a one-box buy or do you like compile the different parts yourself? How is it different from PC emulation?
You can buy the separate components and build yourself or by one complete. It uses an FPGA ship much like those Analogue consoles so it’s hardware simulation vs software emulation. Very accurate to the original hardware. I have every console core from the Atari 2600 to the PS1 and soon to be released Sega Saturn core. There are also home computer cores like the Commodore 64 and around 200+ Arcade games now. I have both HDMI our plus an analog option which I use with my Sony PVM. Plus, you can use pretty much any controller you want.

Last edited:

Hoddi

Never again. I always sold my old systems (Spectrum/Amstrad/Amiga/Megadrive) to fund new ones when I was a kid but I regret selling any of them since reaching adulthood. Mainly selling my SNES for peanuts back in 2005.

I wasn't a big gamer between 1993-2015 but I've since started collecting what I can and including CRTs. I'm bringing all of this stuff into the grave with me like a 16-bit pharaoh. I'm not gonna lose this stuff for a few hundred measly bucks.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I always get rid of it. I've done a mix of trading in to stores, selling outright for cash to people, and giving away consoles to family or coworkers.

Only regret is sometimes I have an itch to play some XBLIG games. But dont got a 360 anymore. Some of those games for $1 are 10x better than any $10-20 XBLA game.

Corian33

I’ve given a couple away, sold a couple, and simply lost some. I found that keeping them for years is only good for collecting dust, especially in the age of most games being available digitally.

That said, I still have my OG Gameboy and I will never let go of that thing. It still works!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never again. I always sold my old systems (Spectrum/Amstrad/Amiga/Megadrive) to fund new ones when I was a kid but I regret selling any of them since reaching adulthood. Mainly selling my SNES for peanuts back in 2005.

I wasn't a big gamer between 1993-2015 but I've since started collecting what I can and including CRTs. I'm bringing all of this stuff into the grave with me like a 16-bit pharaoh. I'm not gonna lose this stuff for a few hundred measly bucks.
You're even going to bring an Atari Jaguar to your grave? :)

Yes and no.

I sold my psx because ps2 could play those games, and sold my ps2 because my launch ps3 played both psx and ps2 games. Was little reason to keep around redundant hardware. Sold my gcn when I got my Wii for the same reason. Only system I ever really kept was my ps3, Dreamcast, and Wii. I sold everything else over the years as I upgraded. Glad MS and Sony saw fit to allow last gen games on PS5 and Series X.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I still have my Saturn, Dreamcast, PS3, and Vita. I sold off my other older consoles at various points. My PS4 Pro sold for $320 during the pandemic, and it pretty much paid for the majority of my digital PS5. I definitely enjoy backwards compatibility when it’s there.

supernova8

Banned
Yes as soon as I stop playing it I'll get rid of it. I may keep games if the next machine is BC but only the games I really enjoy.

Main objective is to generate funds to put toward the new machine and games. Plus, it's not like I live in the Croft mansion. I have limited space.

Last edited:
Very rarely. I sold my Sega Nomad a long time ago. And my Model II Lynx a couple years ago which I actually regret. I tried replacing it on eBay but got one in pretty poor condition and sold it right away.

GenericUser

Yeah sure, if I can find an idiot who buys an old ass console. The resale value of entertainment electronic is ridiculously low usually.

Rhazkul

Yes, always. I reinvest the money into new gen consoles/upgrades. Feels like a waste having the console collect dust. Rather have someone else put the thing to use like intended. I get money, someone else gets happy times: win-win.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Sometimes Yes and I wish I never. Was a Wii-U. Plus some Wii games wish I kept it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom