• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Switch 2' Doesn't Really Need Backwards Compatibility - Nintendolife

Does Switch 2 Really Need Backwards Compatibility?

• Yes

Votes: 336 91.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 8.9%

• Total voters
Perfectly reasonable article. Nintendo knows they don't need backwards compatibility. They'll just put out a janky online platform 2 years or so after the Super Switch comes out called "Nintendo Online Classics" or some shit, and on there they'll sell you NES roms they downloaded off the internet. If you want to play Balloon Fight you can just buy it again for $7.99. Where's the problem?

Svejk

I voted No, because I want to see nintenyearolds the world burn.

Joking aside, I would be fine with that, because I have very little invested in the switch generation (90% physical with it) and haven't really loved anything on it that I must keep or have any desire to play again.

Exactly this... but nobody bought Wii U games and they couldn't have done the Switch with a disc drive. I've bought a remake one time and that was Twilight Princess because it had a cool amiibo that came with it.

And TP HD was a remake. It wasn’t just an up-ressed port. It had a lot of work done to it to make it look modern and take advantage of HD hardware. Remakes can very often be worth $50-60, especially if the game is brand new to you 🤷‍♂️.

Mario RPG for Switch certainly seems worth $60. I don’t think I’ve seen a single comment or complaint about it being full-priced. And that’s a 27 year old game.

Last edited:

Katatonic

As long as there are a handful of exclusives worth buying, I'll be there. Problem is, Nintendo hasn't put out any exclusives that compel me in the same way they did up and through the 3DS / WiiU era.

Sojiro

Oh this article, I saw this pop up on my Google feed today and thought "What stupid fuck wrote that article?" Now after reading some of the summary in the OP I still wonder "What stupid fuck wrote this article?"

Pimpbaa

It’s gonna use a Nvidia SoC just like the original Switch, plus both ps5 and Xbox series x/s have near perfect BC. And Nintendo has a history of BC with their handhelds and the Wii and Wii U. It Nintendo does have it on the Switch 2, people are gonna be fucking pissed.

I think consumers need to be brutal with Nintendo and give them a WiiU 2 in terms of sales if there’s no backwards compatibility.

That said, Switch emulation is pretty decent from what I’ve seen online (haven’t tried it myself, but it seems the Switch Emulation scene was pretty ahead, plus I’ve seen Switch hacks on YouTube too). So there’s still ways to play these games if that happens.

However, the Switch has a very good library, probably the best they ever had. It’ll be a shame if Nintendo makes no efforts to bring these games forwards. I don’t care much for 4K/120fps of these games, but at least make them playable, warts and all as they currently are. The switch joy cons will keep drifting and soon the stores will stop selling them, and instead carry whatever controller comes next. The Switch, more than any other hardware in Nintendo’s history, seems more prone to either breaking or having its battery die or overheat.

I think technology has advanced enough as to make Nintendo accountable for making their online stores and games future proof.

PS5 had the benefit that it ran PS4 games better, for the most part. It made easy to jump into because you could start day one with a full library that was optimized, even more so if you skipped the PS4 Pro.

If Nintendo releases a Switch successor that can also run Switch games better, Nintendo won’t be as pressured on releasing new games for their new console so much, because they can simply keep promoting their newer games, run better on Switch 2, and get a lot of mileage and good will just from that. Remember how awesome TOTK was last year? Wait until you see it run 1080p and locked 30fps on next gen. Haven’t gotten Mario Wonder? It runs Wonderfully on the Switch 2.

I don’t think Sony or Microsoft will ever abandon their libraries now. And if they ever do, we should make a big deal out of it too. PC gaming doesn’t have to worry about this at all. Console gamers shouldn’t have to either.

TwiztidElf

This thread. lol.
It's almost like the new "Do you think the Switch will be a success?" thread.
They'll drop an amazing looking Mario game for launch and everyone will change their tune real quick.

Folks don't buy consoles exclusively for their BC capability. Right MS?

Last edited:

Crayon

It's fine. Besides just getting it later when it has games you want, a console can still be different and impressive enough to get it day one. Just needs the right game and I think Nintendo has learned that by now.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Switch 1 also didn't have an excuse to dismiss my Wii Virtual Console purchases either, but here we are.
True what you're saying, but we don't live in that time anymore. People expect a bit more nowdays, we're becoming used to our games following us from system to system more and more

They can do what they like, but it wouldn't bode well for them. They wouldn't find it as easy to be the top dog after ditching it. Not when we have Decks and such which offer a wide range of options..

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And TP HD was a remake. It wasn’t just an up-ressed port. It had a lot of work done to it to make it look modern and take advantage of HD hardware.
Now now, let’s not over sell it. It had far far less work done than Demon Souls or TLoU Part 1 and gamers roasted those for being too pricey. Think it got a bit less work than Spider-man remastered too (higher resolution rendering, raytracing, 40 FPS mode, dual sense integration, draw distance and environment detail increase, loading time reduction, etc…).

Now now, let’s not over sell it. It had far far less work done than Demon Souls or TLoU Part 1 and gamers roasted those for being too pricey. Think it got a bit less work than Spider-man remastered too (higher resolution rendering, raytracing, 40 FPS mode, dual sense integration, draw distance and environment detail increase, loading time reduction, etc…).

Yeah, Every remake is approached differently. I would say the game had the more standard, expected improvements that would justify a full price re-release 10 years on. All the textures were redone, interface was overhauled to match QoL expectations in modern games, Amiibo functionality, BotW integration with it, etc.

It was a solid 7/10 effort I would say.

mcjmetroid

And this is why I would never invest a large amount of money on a digital library for a Nintendo system.

Why should i when their next system may not be compatible with the existing games?

Gudji

I’m out if it doesn’t have BC, no way I’m buying one.
You at launch day:

Black Friday Action GIF

Top Bottom