• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you sell your old consoles?

Do you sell your old consoles?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• These poll options are too limited. Please see my comment for my take.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mopspear

I'm in the process of selling almost everything. Just got married and need a lot of money. I had a nice collection but for a number of reasons, I just don't care anymore. Hardware issues, getting interested in retro patches, translations and romhacks, buying a retroid pocket 2+, PRICE, and installing Lakka on an old PC in order to consolize it, overtook my nostalgic urges. Real hardware before the PS4 era just doesn't interest me. That being said, I still like old handhelds. They offer something different still.

RafterXL

I give them to the kids in my family. No sense in keeping old hardware laying around, taking up space, when someone else will get a ton of enjoyment out of it. I do the same with all my tech, tvs, computers, etc. I don't have to dispose of, or sell, it and someone else gets a free upgrade. Win, win.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I have only ever sold one of my consoles ever, my launch Xbox One. Halo 5 came out, I played the first 2 campaign missions, boxed it up with all my games and went and traded it all in.

It was less "Xbox got no games" and more "Xbox can't make games that arnt shit" for that gen.

Forza did alot of heavy lifting that gen, as did Sunset Overdrive for me, but after Halo 5 I was done with waiting and giving them chances.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Of course. No use keeping stuff around that I'll never use again and don't really feel any emotional attachment for.

For example, I'll never sell my original N64, that I worked all summer vacation for. That thing's just too precious to me, even though it hasn't been out of its box since 2007 and might very well be dead by now. My original Game Boy will also never leave this house.

On the other hand, I've sold my NES, SNES, Megadrive and WonderSwan Color back in 2011, several handhelds and other stuff in 2017 and my Wii U last year. If Skies of Arcadia ever gets a release on a modern console my GameCube might see the same fate one day.

Yeah I always have when I upgrade, although I'll be honest I do regret getting rid of my PS2 and games collection. That was a blunder on my part.

Hayabusa83

Banned
In the last 4 months I have sold my 32x, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Atari Jaguar, 3DO, Neo Geo Pocket Colour, SNES and NES. Sold all of my games for these consoles as well. The Jaguar, Neo Geo Pocket, and Sega CD were broken. Got about 2000 for this plastic junk that was just sitting in my basement.

SpiceRacz

Sold all of my old consoles in the past few years. Only have a Switch and Series X. Have a PC and Anbernic handheld for all my emulation needs if I get the itch for older games.

I sold my SNES, N64, Original Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube when I was young and stupid. I now have replacements for all of them to go with all my other systems that sit in boxes in my basement... alone and untouched for all time... because I'm now old and stupid.
All that along with Steel Battalion take up way too much space, and I really should just sell it all. I'm never going to touch those again and my kids have zero interest in any of it.

phant0m

Only when upgrading in the same platform (eg OG Switch -> OLED version) or if the new console is backwards compatible (eg I still have a PS2 but no PS1).

fart town usa

Gold Member
Used to as a kid but not anymore. Took me years to gather what I used to own. Retro gaming is what interests me most, new consoles are supplementary and mostly for Resident Evil titles.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I used to keep em, and I really liked having em, but it drove my wife crazy, and to be honest I realized eventually that nostalgia is kind of a poison, so I let em all go save for a PS3 and a 360, and when all the games available on those are ported to x86 platforms or modern consoles, I'll let them go too.

Now.....there are exceptions to this that my wife will just have to live with. One day, not anytime soon, but one day I will have a modified Dreamcast with the entire library on the console through flash storage. And two fight sticks with it.

One day....., but I've been saying one day for over ten years now :(
My wife has a stash of old Barbies and beanie babies so she doesn't even bother with pestering me about old consoles, lol.

poodaddy

My wife has a stash of old Barbies and beanie babies so she doesn't even bother with pestering me about old consoles, lol.
Man that's awesome dude. My wife is amazing, but she grew up EXTREMELY poor and essentially had no stuff of her own until we got married back during my brief stint in the Army over ten years ago, so she doesn't seem to understand having affection for certain things. She's always bringing up minimalism these days, I mean like every other day, and she seems to think it's just the best thing ever....drives me nuts. She likes games, but tends to stick to modern platforms or PC, so when stuff gets unhooked or old she immediately wants it gone lol.

When I was a kid, I sold old hardware to fund next-gen systems. Then I started earning more money which allowed me to keep them. I thought it'd be cool to have a small collection of games and hardware.

But nowadays there's so many re-releases, collections, backwards compatibility etc. that I just don't feel the old consoles are worth the space they take up. So I sold everything that isn't current-gen.

Yeah. I've owned every major console released in the last 28 years (except PS5) and sold them all when I no longer wanted them. The only consoles I currently own are PS2 and Switch.

I don't miss any of them except PS4 and that's only because it's the only place to play Bloodborne.

I'm mostly a PC player these days so can't see much reason to buy any consoles except Nintendo. I might get a PS5 if there is a game I really can't wait for a PC version to play. For example, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth or Persona 6.

You can bet that once I'm done playing those games I'll be getting rid of the PS5. I don't see the point in keeping consoles around unless there are games on it I want to play. I have a bunch of Switch games still to get through and yes there are still some PS1/2 games I like to play so I'll keep those consoles.

Needlecrash

I've recently sold my NES and OG Sega Genesis (Model 1 TMSS).

I own a Analogue Mega SG and NT Mini Noir and Super NT and for playing retro games, they are PERFECT for the modern age. I felt a little sad selling my older consoles at the time. I've had the Genesis since Christmas 1991 as a Christmas present. The NES? A while before that. For being over 30 years old, they still worked great and operated well with no issues (had to change out the NES 72-pin connector). I am NOT a fan of redundancy and both consoles were literally collecting dust. So, I cleaned them up, got all of the connections and controllers and sold them. My rationale was basically, "I've had so much fun with them for the past 3 decades. Now that I have the Analogue systems, I feel that I can provide another gamer with a great retro experience. Since these system were originally in my care, I know they'll work and they'll have a good home."

Had a 3DS XL that I soft-modded too. Along with the Castlevania DS trilogy that I owned. I sold all of that to get a Switch when it first came out.

Sold my PS4 with a 5tb hard drive for $250.

One of my OG PS3 systems died, along with half of my retro saves on it. Got another one but hadn't really found the time to get into it.

At one point I actually owned a JVC X'Eye. It was basically a Sega Genesis Model 1 combined with a Sega CD. Came out in late 1994 with a crazy ass price tag of $500. Got it from eBay for $150. It was pretty cool but I didn't play it much, so I sold it for at least $200.

Now, I am aiming to get an Analogue Turbo Duo when it comes out.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of selling almost everything. Just got married and need a lot of money. I had a nice collection but for a number of reasons, I just don't care anymore. Hardware issues, getting interested in retro patches, translations and romhacks, buying a retroid pocket 2+, PRICE, and installing Lakka on an old PC in order to consolize it, overtook my nostalgic urges. Real hardware before the PS4 era just doesn't interest me. That being said, I still like old handhelds. They offer something different still.
the Steam Deck is worthwhile, mate.

NahaNago

I've been thinking about it. I sold my n64 and that is about it since I bought that after I moved out. Most of the older consoles were left behind by the family when they moved like the nes, snes, sega master system, sega genesis, gb, gba, and ps2.

Last edited:
It purely depends on how many quality exclusives the machine in question has, and how good or poorly the machine is emulated on desktop PC. I sold everything that i can properly emulate. The Xbox (all of them) and Playstation (3, 4 and 5) are not worth discussing because there's barely anything worth playing on them that i cannot play on my desktop machine.

The only machine i'm not quite ready to sell yet is my Sega Saturn. It's in my storage unplugged for now because emulation has been wonderful in recent years. SSF R29 is on the horizon, R28 being an excellent Saturn emulator and Mednafen is a close second. As for the library in question, i can easily name 50 quality games for it worth playing on it today. I can't really say that for any other console system ever made. Enhanced arcade ports, exclusives, unique experiences. It's basically a time capsule of the 90s Japan video game culture, a treasure trove for retro enthusiasts and the holy grail for video game collectors.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I wish I never sold my Commodore 64.
svej4.gif

It was conditio sine qua non for my parents to buy me an Amiga. One of the biggest regrets of my life.

Monokrom

Not really but I did sell my PS4 Pro when I got the PS5. I did not see the point of still having it in my collection.
I got a decent offer so I figured that money could go to PS5 games/controllers and what not.

I never did until someone stole a bunch of mine. After that, I just committed to PC + emulation and got rid of most of my remaining consoles.

Bry0

I always sold them when I was younger. I recently rebought a 360 and a ps3 along with my favorites for those systems that I can’t get on PC. I probably won’t sell in the future unless it’s just to get a mid gen refresh version of a console. A couple hundred bucks is really no big deal now that I am older and don’t have to scrounge up money to buy systems. I also got handy enough to replace optical lasers, repaste, solder new caps etc. to keep them going.

Madjako

Each generation I want to sell my old console, but my kids don't want !!
They want to keep those and show them to their kids lol .

Mr Branding

Yep, no point in keeping stuff I no longer use. I used to have 2 ps2's slim, a fat ps3, a ps3 super slim, ps4, ps4 slim and huge collections for all of these. I sold everything. Over the years, I tried to get into them, but I've quickly realized the old games I used to love have aged badly and I couldn't go back to them. I also barely have time for games as it is, my OG switch is my son's and I only have a Steam Deck and Oled switch.

Leonidas

If there is 99% BC like PS4 to PS5 yes. If I am updating to a newer model of the same console, yes I sell the old one.

I sold my PS4 Pro in 2020 and it covered the cost of the PS5 Digital I eventually bought.
I traded-in an Xbox One X because it was broken, but got it working long enough to do a GameStop trade-in back when it had a decent trade-in-value.

In cases where consoles aren't fully BC, I keep the old consoles (PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox, etc.)

and to be honest I realized eventually that nostalgia is kind of a poison
Couldn’t agree more. Same way here.
This quote really made me think. I got into minimalism because of depression/anxiety and consoles are something I own that I can't seem to get rid of when I wish I could more easily. The problem is nostalgia 100%. I grew up on PlayStation and I own every PlayStation home console and a Vita (including both a Fat and Slim PS3) as well as a Xbox 360 and WiiU (purely for WW/TP). Hell I even own a PocketStation just because of the history.

The PS3 Fat can easily take place of the PS1/PS2/PS3 Slim (Slim is my original when my first Fart died) and I have a pretty capable gaming PC (3060ti, Ryzen 3600) that I could easily emulate basically everything on in better quality on my OLED. I also have a small Sony Trinitron which I have because I tell myself I would want to play PS1/2/Gamecube (girlfriend's) on it because "it's the way it's meant to be".

Nostalgia is really holding me back on the minimalism front. The thing is I had a ton of stuff and when I got into minimalism it REALLY helped me and I've slipped up from time to time only to have some anxiety about it all.

Maybe today is the day I break the nostalgia curse.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
This quote really made me think. I got into minimalism because of depression/anxiety and consoles are something I own that I can't seem to get rid of when I wish I could more easily. The problem is nostalgia 100%. I grew up on PlayStation and I own every PlayStation home console and a Vita (including both a Fat and Slim PS3) as well as a Xbox 360 and WiiU (purely for WW/TP). Hell I even own a PocketStation just because of the history.

The PS3 Fat can easily take place of the PS1/PS2/PS3 Slim (Slim is my original when my first Fart died) and I have a pretty capable gaming PC (3060ti, Ryzen 3600) that I could easily emulate basically everything on in better quality on my OLED. I also have a small Sony Trinitron which I have because I tell myself I would want to play PS1/2/Gamecube (girlfriend's) on it because "it's the way it's meant to be".

Nostalgia is really holding me back on the minimalism front. The thing is I had a ton of stuff and when I got into minimalism it REALLY helped me and I've slipped up from time to time only to have some anxiety about it all.

Maybe today is the day I break the nostalgia curse.
It’s not really about minimalism from my end it’s more about the logic of it. People now save everything because it might be worth something in 30 years. Realistically though it rarely amounts to anything except a hoarders mentality.

Also went through a pretty life altering experience in my late twenties where I lost most of my things and had no money. The resulting lesson was that things are just things and they hold little value. Memories are what holds values and experiences.

BlackTron

I've heard some pretty bad trade in stories from friends.

I knew someone who flipped most of their childhood collection just to get a PS2.

I also had a friend who traded in his GBC and like 20+ games just to get Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil 1 on NGC at a pawn shop.

Like seriously I can't believe people don't hold onto their stuff and if you're that desperate just get a job lol

I did this kind of stuff when I was just a kid and the gen changed. Now I wish I didn't trade away all my original NES, Genesis, Game Boy and Game Gear stuff. But when the 3D revolution happens and you are frothing at the mouth to play the latest game years before you're even old enough to work, what to do? Go to Funcoland...

Consoles are different now, basically made to be replaced. Like the PS4 is nothing but a less good PS5. When I get one I will sell the 4 Pro or give it to family. The last Xbox that was not automatically made irrelevant by its successor was 360. Nothing unique is being lost, and in the future they will be paperweights or close to it because they're dependent on the Internet.

If the console offers ANY unique capability, even just working on a CRT, and is not useless without outside servers, it cannot escape my clutches. PS3, WiiU.

lukilladog

Always did. Snes, n64, Dreamcast (at least the games, because the lasers were crap and broke 3 times -other than that, best console ever-), all gone while they were still at stores. Zero regrets as PC was just awesome.

Only when it makes sense, like when a new system is backwards compatible with the old one. Got the Series X at launch and since there was a console shortage in general I was able to sell my Xbone S on Facebook marketplace for $220 and essentially recoup for half the SX with that.

But I still have a WiiU even though I got a Switch because fuck rebuying WiiU ports and also I use it for Virtual Console games and it’s hacked to play GC games as well.

DonF

I had a PS2 gathering dust, so I traded it for a GameCube to play some games that I missed. I played starfox adventures and Zelda twilight princess and then had a GameCube gathering dust.
With the xbox360 once I got a PS4 I never ever touched it again. My baby brother once took it to his home while in university and lost it.

I sold my PS4 for a PS4 pro and then sold the PS4 pro once I got the PS5.

I never go back to old consoles. I like the idea but in reality never do it. So now I just sell it once I get the new one.

Last edited:
I did when I was much younger, but then I re-bought them all again.

And now with emulation becoming more advanced and efficient to the point that a lot of games are looking and running even better than they did on the original consoles, I'm almost to the point where I'm gonna start selling them again.

Chastten

Banned
Sure, over the years I've sold my NES, SNES, MegaDrive, several N64's and GameCube's, some GBA's, my imported WonderSwan Color and Virtual Boy , and most recently my Wii U. There's no use keeping stuff around that you're not gonna use anymore and that you have no emotional attachment to.

I will always keep my original Game Boy, as that was the first game console I owned that I bought with my own money. Or my N64, which I worked an entire summer vacation for in order to be able to afford it. Other stuff though? Not so much.

Top Bottom