• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you support Freemium games?

Do you play and support Fremium type of games often (fortnite and apex legneds types of games?)

• Yes! I play them regularly and buy a ton of the content

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • No! I can't stand those type of games and rarely play them

Votes: 63 55.8%
  • I play them sometimes and rarely buy items

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • I play those type of games but never buy content

Votes: 23 20.4%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I personally hate the fucking practice. Games live on for 10+ years making money on Stupid outfits and dance moves. I think the practice is a cancer in the gaming community. Greedy publishers have learned to use the phone pay to win model on a different scale on consoles. Instead of loot boxes they make people pay for shiny outfits, dance moves, or avatars. (old man voice) Back in my day, that shit was free and use to be unlocked with cheat codes.

So some of you are asking, why should I care? Why do I give a flying fuck on what you are playing? The sad fact is this whole freemium model has a trickle down effect for all gamers. Why have we not seen a new Grand theft Auto for over a decade, Why haven't we seen a new World of Warcraft sequel for 20 years? Developers who are making money on these microtransactions have no real incentive to make newer games. Then when new games come (especially multiplayer) from Day 1 they are are trying to make even more money off of the buyer with *special offers". We went from a videogame culture where developers cared and wanted to make a good product to a culture run by greedy executives who only care about how much money they can squeeze out of a title. The indie market IMO is where the real innovation lies now. Most of the AAA studios have sold their soul for the buck.

Last edited:

nocsi

It’s like WFH, the boundaries of what a game is gets erased. Where does the game start and where does it end? Doesn’t matter. It caters to people who just want to play any sort of game & suffer from fomo so developers can continuously dangle carrots-on-stick in front of them. Real games are concise 9-5s, you know what you’re getting and don’t have your psych fucked with.

Paasei

Just the answer “no” would have sufficed for me. I don’t play them, but I don’t think I hate all of them. I think Warzone has a good f2p concept to it. I played it for a while, but large and open spaces just aren’t for me in shooters.

I don't really care. They don't exist to me and I would never play them but I don't care about what other people spend their time or money on.

Gold Member
I like Warzone, but haven’t paid anything in it yet. If a game is good and free, then I’ll play it - I don’t care about the model, I just play what I want. Occasionally I’ll chuck a tenner at a game to support the dev if it’s free and I like it. It never cost me an entrance fee (& I’m enjoying it) so happy to contribute.

What I don’t like are freemium models proliferating paid games. Can’t stand that shit and won’t buy anything micro transaction related from them, if I buy the game at all 😊

Guilty_AI

I dont hate them in general and get why they exist, but yeah, they tend to employ very shitty practices and have an overall very negative effect on game design.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
You are asking the wrong crowd. Everyone knows (by now) that Gaf'ers doesn't have friends to play with, so any MP is shit! If it's Battle Royale it's even more shit and if it's also free, oh boy... IT'S TOTAL SHIT!

Aion002

I play Genshin Impact and I spend 5 usd per month on it.

Sue Me Season 4 GIF by The Office

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes.
I am sending money to my nephew who probably spends it on skins and brawlstars characters or whatever shit

Three

I play some mobile games but not console f2p games. When I'm at home with my console I would rather spend that time playing something that doesn't waste my time. On the bus or out and about that's a little different.

I don't normally spend money in these games but I did buy the first battle pass for Shatterline. Good game and to support our brothers and sisters in Ukraine.

drezz

Sure.

I dont mind F2P game as long as they dont turn into P2W.

And the only microtransactions are Cosmetics/skins.

Games such as Dota2, Apex, Warzone, Fortnite, etc.

But having weaponry, perks, items, maps, abilities hidden behind a paywall infuriates me.
Ad's inside games as well, regardless if it is F2P

I mostly buy games straight up, but If a game is F2P and seems fun, I test it out and see if it scratches my itch.
If it plays well and I'm having fun, I end up potentially spending some money.

Bragr

Banned
This is only the beginning. It's too lucrative.

I don't mind it, but I get tired of games after a while, playing stuff for years is out of the question for me, even a month is too boring.

i don't mind them. i play a fuck load of Rocket League, Fortnite, Genshin.

i used to buy the Rocket League season pass and honestly i play it enough so that i can buy it once and not pay again unless i drop off the game for a while. i don't go into the store to buy anything i just collect whatever stuff the season pass gives me.

Fortnite it's the same situation (plus i get free vbucks from StW daily login) except i will sometimes buy vbucks to get a skin. i can't help myself.

Genshin i haven't spent a single penny on it yet and don't plan to.

if a game is free they gotta make their money somewhere. you could argue they could charge for it but that wouldn't make sense for these games. if they were designed to be B2P then they'd be totally different games. i like the F2P model because, if i choose, i can get to play a game for free. nobody is forcing you to pay anything. there is far too much money to be made so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. if you don't like it then don't play it but again if it's free... its worth a try maybe you'll like it if you open your mind.

League of Legends/Valorant/DOTA/CS:GO are some of the biggest games on the planet and they are F2P with optional in game purchases but somehow i don't see those lumped in with the likes of Fortnite/Apex/Diablo Immortal/Genshin etc. Or are those "real games" ?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t necessarily say I hate them, but I try to keep away from them and really dislike their usually predatory practices. I understand why they exist and they are free and they have to make money, but I MUCH rather have full fledged sequels with improvements over playing the same archaic looking game for 10 years with overpriced DLC and microtransactions. I’m probably in the minority, but I think this model really hurts fighting games as well which are already niche.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
No.
I don't play multiplayer games.
For single player games with DLC, I always wait for the Complete/GOTY/Definitive/[insert meaningless term] Edition for under $30.
Miss me with that live service shit.

Last edited:
I have played several over the years and when I find one I really enjoy like World of Tanks I buy stuff that I like mainly to support the game but unlike many others I have self-control and don't buy everything they offer

Fbh

I play Rocket League every other day.

I never spend any money on it though. The prices are ridiculous, we've gone way past the realm of "micro"transactions.

20 bucks for a goal explosion or cool skin? Yeah no thx.

Lasha

You guys should learn how to make good polls. The choices you gave are oddly specific while failing to cover basic answers.

I fully support freemium games and I play them often. Moving micro transactions from maps to skins has done wonders for preventing fragmentation of communities. The lifetime of games is also longer now that developers are no longer pressed to push out a new box to get new revenue. Losing access to unlockable cosmetics is a small price to pay for free fun games which receive regular support.

The balance of free content and timers is off in most I’ve played. They go barely fine to bullshit because of the time mechanics designed to piss you off unless you buy. It doesn’t ease you in.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Fortnite

Yup. I play regularly and buy stuff regularly.

With the Zero Build mode, it’s easily the best multiplayer shooter out there.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I used to play a lot of Warzone and always bought the battlepass. I think that's ok. Fortnite I play from time to time, never spend a dime on it. I'm ok with this practice, it allows free access to a lot of gamers.

Didn't vote in the pool because my answer isn't there.

Yes, I play them regularly, yes I bought content from time to time, but definitely not a ton.

Last edited:

Aenima

On mobile i play them pretty much every day, and never spent a cent on the games. If the game is well balanced for F2P players i keep playing it, if not i just look for something new. Im completely imune to FOMO and other psychologic tactics they use to monetize the games. Instead i find pleasure in finding ways to milk as much content i can by never spending a cent.

On console, Gwent and Genshin Impact was the only F2P games i played, Genshin, played more than 1 year without spending anything on it. I found it great, actually better than many action RPGs out there at full price, and well balanced for F2P, as i was able to complete everething, story/ events, without feeling i was too underpowered.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Wise h
just nooooooo and never will!

vade-retro-satanas-gif-4.gif
I
It’s like WFH, the boundaries of what a game is gets erased. Where does the game start and where does it end? Doesn’t matter. It caters to people who just want to play any sort of game & suffer from fomo so developers can continuously dangle carrots-on-stick in front of them. Real games are concise 9-5s, you know what you’re getting and don’t have your psych fucked with.
Exactly

reinking

Gold Member
MMO's? Same?

Not really no. I'd rather buy a game, and cherish it for years to come, than play a disposable online game that if it gets shut down, then can't play it anymore.

dottme

I play them, but I never buy anything for this kind of game. Once you start spending one cent, they know how to push you to spend more.

[Sigma]

I once played Genshin Impact for a little bit. I had some fun but didn't spend any money. I always say im going to get back into at some point but never do. Fundamentally the answer is "no". I try them at times but I find in practically all cases so far that the core gameplay and what you get off tops just isn't good+fun enough for me to invest and continue to play. I don't like how most progress. I was feel like im getting tricked while playing them and I just don't stick around. I never get excited anymore when someone tells me something is f2p, in my mind that's automatically 1 strike against it.

Last edited:

Gamer79

I support good games. Apex and Rocket League are good games. The rest is just noise.
A ton of people said Rocket League but I do not include Rocket league in the Freemium group. In fact, Rockert leage came out as free then they charged $20 for the game for a long time.

Banjo64

cumsessed
A ton of people said Rocket League but I do not include Rocket league in the Freemium group. In fact, Rockert leage came out as free then they charged $20 for the game for a long time.
I get your point, it didn’t launch free, it was included in PS Plus the month it launched. It was a paid release from day one until the move to F2P. That being said, it’s freemium in 2022.

Apex and Overwatch are good games in my opinion. As good as any paid FPS release in recent years. Infinite would also have been a fantastic game if they hadn’t released it to die with no content pipeline.

Top Bottom