• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think that the Covid pandemic has put people on edge?

Do you think that the Covid Pandemic has put people on edge

• Yes

Votes: 53 79.1%
  • Yes, a little

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters
It seems people are more worried and on edge than ever. People seem to be more afraid than ever.

In this forum everyone from all sides and on all forums seem to have a short fuse and constantly leaping to conclusions, is it this forum or the populace at large?

My mother in particular is going crazy, she thinks if she or my brother goes out she will get infected, pass it on to me and kill me. She is fully vaccinated and my brother will be too next month.

Spaceman292

Banned
Yeah but people will utterly forget about it once the media buzz finally dies down. Then they'll find something else to be terrified of. It'll take a while though.

Last edited:

Winter John

Nah. I think there's a bunch of people who actually liked the shutdown and want to keep it going. They're a minority though. I think most people are just relieved things are going back to normal.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I certainly think the anti-vaxxers are on edge about a safe injection, and what it means for their movements in public, yes.

Last edited:

thefool

People who spend their life online and adrift on their reality? Absolutely. It’s just another form of cope.

In real life? I would say less people in general everywhere made things more relaxing tbh.

Keihart

Did you played Death Stranding? first mission of chapter 2? smart drugs? Oxytocine? same shit i would say.

Last edited:
It seems people are more worried and on edge than ever. People seem to be more afraid than ever.

In this forum everyone from all sides and on all forums seem to have a short fuse and constantly leaping to conclusions, is it this forum or the populace at large?

My mother in particular is going crazy, she thinks if she or my brother goes out she will get infected, pass it on to me and kill me. She is fully vaccinated and my brother will be too next month.
The only post COVID thing I saw in people is that made good people turn into assholes, and assholes even more assholes

Star-Lord

Without a doubt, and with good reason. This pandemic has shown us all just how vunerable the human race is, and how unprepared we are/were for such eventualities. We really are quite weak when it comes to this sort of things, but we've learned how to deal with it, even if it did take well over a year. We - well, most of us - now have more respect for humankind and how best we can work together to survive. And as far as social distancing and 'covid etiquette' is concerned, I can see that sticking around for the foreseeable.

nush

Gold Member
This pandemic has shown us all just how vunerable the human race is, and how unprepared we are/were for such eventualities.

As someone who lives in Covid ground zero, I said at the time "Everyone is ignoring this because it's happening over there".

I saw a documentary many years ago that was "Shit that could go down and fuck us up" dirty bombs and pandemics were right on this list.

It's not "Unprepared" it's naa that won't happen to me....

Ideas_Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg

Amory

Without a doubt, and with good reason. This pandemic has shown us all just how vunerable the human race is, and how unprepared we are/were for such eventualities. We really are quite weak when it comes to this sort of things, but we've learned how to deal with it, even if it did take well over a year. We - well, most of us - now have more respect for humankind and how best we can work together to survive. And as far as social distancing and 'covid etiquette' is concerned, I can see that sticking around for the foreseeable.
I don't think we learned a thing, tbh

Blade2.0

They should be on edge. This is the worst pandemic we've had in 100 years that has killed more Americans than all of our wars combined. And if, science forbid, we ever actually have a virus with like a 20% kill rate, we'll still have these dumbasses that call it a hoax and don't mask, etc. These last two years should be eye openers with how moronic of a species we actually are.

thefool

WHO estimates tobacco kills like 8M people per year and we've been smokin that shit for decades. We've always been morons.

They should be on edge. This is the worst pandemic we've had in 100 years that has killed more Americans than all of our wars combined. And if, science forbid, we ever actually have a virus with like a 20% kill rate, we'll still have these dumbasses that call it a hoax and don't mask, etc. These last two years should be eye openers with how moronic of a species we actually are.
That’s probably true. If we had a true plague-like virus that killed 20% of those infected, there would be idiots pretending it wasn’t real. That being said, we also shouldn’t be pretending a virus with less than 1/20th of that mortality is that plague.

I think one thing it has completely exposed is the absolute lack of perspective modern people have. We have gotten very very comfortable with the illusion that we, ie human beings, have control. We think we can control the climate and disease and aging all the way down to our own biology. Now obviously there is underlying risk all the time. But we’ve gotten very comfortable.

Covid has increased the risk of living by a very modest amount, historically speaking. Human beings not only tolerated much greater risks in the past. They accepted it and thrived despite it.

Last edited:

Aesius

WHO estimates tobacco kills like 8M people per year and we've been smokin that shit for decades. We've always been morons.
Americans in particular are also addicted to sugar and processed carbs. It's amazing that obesity is such a major factor in COVID deaths, and yet it has barely been mentioned. The junk food industry is just way too powerful for politicians and the media to really take them to task.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Of course it has set people on edge. Between the precautions like masks and social distancing being so widespread and the number of deaths in the last year it has brought home just how serious all of this has been. It would be more weird if people weren't worried about any of it.

Thankfully though with the vaccine seeing more and more widespread use and being incentivized/required we are at least in a better position now than we were at the same time last year.

Yep. The edges of both sides on this issue have completely lost their mind. But the majority is still in the safe middle, where people are not too emotionally invested so everyone just kinda chills.

StormCell

Such a high mortality rate would begin to limit the viruses rate of spread. It's why COVID-19's low mortality rate makes it such a big spreader.

StormCell

It has revealed to me that there is a massive amount of idiots in the U.S.
I don't now why it took the pandemic for you to realize this. They've been on display and parading about in broad daylight in more recent years. You may even be one of them...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Such a high mortality rate would begin to limit the viruses rate of spread. It's why COVID-19's low mortality rate makes it such a big spreader.
Not necessarily true. If it makes you sick and kills you very quickly sure, but if it takes a while before you get sick then the transmission has already occured.

The real eye opener for me has been Delta - look how quickly it spread from India to the entire world. The original alpha we were unprepared for sure, but Delta spread across the entire globe in a matter of weeks even after we effectively spent an entire year preparing for it.

KielCasto

Not where I live, I think. Maybe the average person is just more hygienic and conscious of how clean they are now than they were before the pandemic.

BigBeauford

I don't now why it took the pandemic for you to realize this. They've been on display and parading about in broad daylight in more recent years. You may even be one of them...

Could be I guess. I know there is a strong ignorant/anti-intellectual undercurrent that is celebrated as early as elementary school in the U.S. What I didn't anticipate was the huge amount of people willing killing themselves and keeping us mired in this pandemic because they listen to grifters instead of experts.

StormCell

Could be I guess. I know there is a strong ignorant/anti-intellectual undercurrent that is celebrated as early as elementary school in the U.S. What I didn't anticipate was the huge amount of people willing killing themselves and keeping us mired in this pandemic because they listen to grifters instead of experts.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but no one else is keeping you mired in this pandemic. There isn't some segment of the population to be blamed for this unless you want to blame China. Like it or not, COVID is here permanently. It was likely already permanent before we even had vaccines. Furthermore, Israel is one of the most strict on vaccination and has one of the highest vaccination rates and is in the midst of a Delta variant crisis. All this is to say that your blame of someone who doesn't want to get vaccinated isn't as reasonable as you may have thought. Lastly, wildlife are being found infected with COVID, and that is the reason why we are never going to be rid of it.

What we can do is continue to build our immune systems either by vaccination or natural immunity to the point that COVID is no different for us than the common cold. This is scientifically feasible and our best outcome. I wouldn't sweat it in the meantime as long as you're vaccinated -- right?

Last edited:
I think so, but I also think it can be a good thing. The more we accept our frailty and transience, the more open we can become, the more free and loving towards each other.

Not that any consciously believe in our physical immortality, but many operate with that mindset, always prioritizing things that would seem to indicate a lack of understanding of just how fleeting this physical form truly is. Ultimately, facing death before death is liberating, and that can be, however difficult, a blessing.

Korranator

The problem is the experts are not in charge.

Star-Lord

Yep. The edges of both sides on this issue have completely lost their mind. But the majority is still in the safe middle, where people are not too emotionally invested so everyone just kinda chills.
There have been just shy of 5,000,000 global COVID-19 deaths. It's hard to not be emotionally invested.

no. at least not where i am.

more craziness yeah. this whole thing has shown how truly idiotic some people are. covid is just the warm up for the shit that's gonna go down the next 10-20 years. so also i guess it shows how fucked we are. if we can't get people to put a piece of fucking cloth over their mouth/nose and take a simple vaccination then what chance do we have at stopping climate change? to sum it up it'll basically be this image:

iu

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
LOL. World War 2 saw 420k American deaths by itself. 1.5 million during the Civil War. Fuck outta here with that sensationalist nonsense. You're the dumbass.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
In a alternative universe where covid hit us a few years earlier before the social media driven division of the US I think we all could have weathered this thing with less stress.

But I fear that in 100 years historians will write in their scrolls by candlelight about the covid plague as the tipping point in the fall of western society as they prepare documents to be sealed in chambers from the warlord bands that seek to destroy all knowledge of the before times.

1000 years from now the devils used to scare children will be called Facebook, Twitter, Covid, and (for half of them at least)....Trump :p

Kaachan

Not here in Sweden
I worked in retail during the worst stage of the pandemic and I realized majority of people didn't care. What surprised me the most was seeing so many elderly coming to town when they were the most prone to get affected
Nowadays it seems like Covid didn't even happen, no sights of masks and crowd limit has been removed from most public places

StormCell

Not here in Sweden
I worked in retail during the worst stage of the pandemic and I realized majority of people didn't care. What surprised me the most was seeing so many elderly coming to town when they were the most prone to get affected
Nowadays it seems like Covid didn't even happen, no sights of masks and crowd limit has been removed from most public places

Shhhh. You're going to cause the outraged to place the full burden of blame for the pandemic on Sweden. It's because of the Swedes that this Delta variant even exists, they will say.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah but honestly it was at it's worst at the very beginning.

Things have normalized; meaning a new normal.

But right at the beginning I saw more parking lot / in stores / other public places yelling matches in a week than I've seen the entire rest of my life.

TBH it's been rather calm in general the last 6 months at least maybe even longer. People never really stopped wearing masks around here though and I think people have settled into this world where you can go in public and be fairly anonymous and just keep to yourself lol

Last edited:

poppabk

LOL. World War 2 saw 420k American deaths by itself. 1.5 million during the Civil War. Fuck outta here with that sensationalist nonsense. You're the dumbass.
So it has caused more US deaths than the total of all the wars the US has been in within the last 100 years, which is what the poster was saying I think.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
So it has caused more US deaths than the total of all the wars the US has been in within the last 100 years, which is what the poster was saying I think.
No, it hasn’t. Even if you take the number given as the number of people that actually died as a result of COVID (a number that will be debated from now until kingdom come) it still does not eclipse the number of US casualties that died in this century.

Mistake

I’d say it’s a lot more do with politics. So many people I thought were chill, turned into “it’s my way or the highway” types. If there is one silver lining out of this, it’s that they are super easy to troll. I post something red, and the blue team throws a tantrum. Post something blue, then the red team comes out. Covid just continued things. Getting rid of pol here was a good choice

Last edited:

poppabk

No, it hasn’t. Even if you take the number given as the number of people that actually died as a result of COVID (a number that will be debated from now until kingdom come) it still does not eclipse the number of US casualties that died in this century.
I mean I am just using Wikipedia as a source, but for WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, and maybe one more I get a total of 630k. Which is lower than COVID deaths. If you use different sources, or add 20 or so little wars with sub 1k casualties then it may be slightly higher but either way it will be very close.

sackings

People havent learned a damned thing. When you still have some obese 400 pounder screaming at someone for not wearing a mask because its a danger to THEIR health, you know theres nothing going on up there.

T8SC

Gold Member
Introverts seem to want to keep the lockdown & working from home going as long as possible.

Most other people just want to get on with life.

thefool

Not here in Sweden

I envy you. Mostly, I envy you live in a civilized country.

StormCell

Yes. I’m in a place where the majority would vouch for mandatory vaccination.

That's some scary crap right there and not a laughing matter. We knew a nurse who had to get vaccinated in order to keep her job. I don't know if she had any reservations about getting it or if she had considered not getting vaccinated, but she died within 48 hours of getting the vaccine due to a having a severe reaction.

It's not the first or only time someone will die due to having a severe reaction. People can't control the kind of reaction they will have to a vaccine, but they can control whether they get infected by COVID by following safety measures. Unless the state or federal government wants to pay out $$$$ to the families of those who have a severe reaction, they should put to rest any notion of mandatory vaccination.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I mean I am just using Wikipedia as a source, but for WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, and maybe one more I get a total of 630k. Which is lower than COVID deaths. If you use different sources, or add 20 or so little wars with sub 1k casualties then it may be slightly higher but either way it will be very close.
Of course, we are putting words in the mouth of the original poster. He didn’t specific which wars. What he was doing was going for effect. I don’t think the effect of the deaths by themselves are going to be felt nearly as much as the effect of the lockdowns and all the social pressure to conform or not conform will be felt.

The deaths by themselves are mostly older, sick, obese, people who- let’s be honest- wasn’t all that shocking when they died. Sure, you have quite a few that were surprisingly young and healthy that also died, but that’s not even close to what those wars did. It killed mostly young, healthy men that had decades of productiveness in society ahead of them.

I’d even argue it’s still not the worst pandemic in 100 years. The Spanish Flu would have killed far more people had we had the population back then that we have today. And it didn’t give a fuuuuuck if you were young, old, healthy, sick. It straight up killed young people in far higher percentages than COVID. COVID is the Ryan Leaf of diseases.

It’s more comparable to the Hong Kong Flu of 1969.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Introverts seem to want to keep the lockdown & working from home going as long as possible.

Most other people just want to get on with life.
Not just introverts. Anti-social introverts. I’m an introvert. I’ll be damned if I want the mandates to continue. So far, our governor is being cautiously optimistic and hasn’t threatened re-locking us down. (North Carolina) So, as long as that continues, then I’m okay with whatever private individuals and businesses do to combat it.

Ikutachi

That's some scary crap right there and not a laughing matter. We knew a nurse who had to get vaccinated in order to keep her job. I don't know if she had any reservations about getting it or if she had considered not getting vaccinated, but she died within 48 hours of getting the vaccine due to a having a severe reaction.

It's not the first or only time someone will die due to having a severe reaction. People can't control the kind of reaction they will have to a vaccine, but they can control whether they get infected by COVID by following safety measures. Unless the state or federal government wants to pay out $$$$ to the families of those who have a severe reaction, they should put to rest any notion of mandatory vaccination.
France is pretty bad with it right now. It's required to buy anything in supermarkets.

Online? Maybe, but it’s back and forth of getting vaccinated or not. In real life, it feels like most things are back to normal and there’s not a pandemic going on. This is in Southern Brooklyn NYC.

Top Bottom