• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think that the "Revolution" will be the successor to the Gamecube

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
This article is off Gamepot:

Revolution not replacing GameCube?

Nintendo's president avoids labeling its next-generation machine as the successor to the GameCube.

TOKYO--According to the Yomiuri Journal, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata avoided making concrete statements as to whether its next-generation game console, code-named "Revolution," will be the successor to the GameCube in his company’s strategy conference last week.

"A 'successor' is really just an issue about wording. Whether the Revolution is or isn't the successor to the GameCube isn't too important, but we can't say anything about that subject today," stated Iwata during the press conference.

The Yomiuri Journal goes on to say that Iwata hinted that the Revolution will not be replacing the GameCube once the machine hits the store shelves. Nintendo made a similar statement earlier this year when it said the DS is not the successor to the Game Boy Advance, even though the DS will play GBA games.

I hope he just means that the Revolution will have some new innovation and that it will take the place as Nintendo's new home console. If this isnt the successor to the GC, then Nintendo are going to have 4 systems out there. They cant even get it right with 2 consoles. If the Revolution is the successor to the GC, Im gonna get upset. Its going to hurt Nintendo if they dont make this their new home console. Sony have announced that they will unviel the PS3 at E3 and Im sure MS will unviel the Xbox2. If Nintendo leave their home console too late, they will have trouble.

I actually do think that this will be the successor to the GC. I believe it will be something like the DS. Its a handheld, a better and slightly different version of the GBA, lets just hope I'm right.

Ranger X

Damn we have those thread for each generations and for each console...
They always say that the new machine will not replace the previous one because they still want to sell the current machine...

SNES was not supposed to replace NES, PS2 was not supposed to replace PS1, GBA was not supposed to replace GBC, DS is not suppose to replace GBASP and now Revolution is not supposed to replace GC...

Old story. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

human5892

Queen of Denmark
*smashes head against the wall*
How many more god damned times does somebody have to make news out of this quote?

THE REVOLUTION IS NINTENDO'S NEXT VIDEO GAMING CONSOLE DEVICE.

psycho_snake

Wyzdom said:
Damn we have those thread for each generations and for each console...
They always say that the new machine will not replace the previous one because they still want to sell the current machine...

SNES was not supposed to replace NES, PS2 was not supposed to replace PS1, GBA was not supposed to replace GBC, DS is not suppose to replace GBASP and now Revolution is not supposed to replace GC...

Old story. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
well, to be honest, the PS1 is still selling. Its got more slaes than the Xbox in japan

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, just like the DS isn't replacing the GBA. Come on now. If its a home console by Nintendo, then thats all that matters. Don't try to bullshit me, Iwata.

Nicco

I don't like that "Nintendo can't get it right with 2 consoles" comment. Not only is the GCN more successful than the Xbox (worldwide userbase), but there are just as many GBAs out there as there are PS2s.

Concerning the subject at hand, I think that what Iwata is saying is that Revolution won't be replacing the GCN in any conventional sense. Iwata has been very vocal about his reluntance to keep mindlessly producing successors from the outset. In fact, he has already said that Nintendo is going to support the GCN after Revolution.

Based on those facts, I think that the Revlution will eventually replace the GCN but not in the way the GCN replaced the GCN. More the way the PS2 replaced the PS1. It is for this reason that I believe that Nintendo will include backwards compatibility with GCN through Revolution.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not only is the GCN more successful than the Xbox (worldwide userbase), but there are just as many GBAs out there as there are PS2s.

For one, XBOX is Microsoft's first game console. The fact that it has come so close to matching Nintendo says something about both parties...

Secondly, there are not as many GBAs out there as PS2s. Where did you get that idea?

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Secondly, there are not as many GBAs out there as PS2s. Where did you get that idea?
He probably means they're selling at roughly the same rate. PS2 had a head start over GBA of just over a year.

dark10x

jarrod said:
He probably means they're selling at roughly the same rate. PS2 had a head start over GBA of just over a year.

If that is indeed what he meant, then OK...but it certainly did not seem that way. He was suggesting that there are "just as many GBAs out there as PS2s"...

psycho_snake

Nicco said:
I don't like that "Nintendo can't get it right with 2 consoles" comment. Not only is the GCN more successful than the Xbox (worldwide userbase), but there are just as many GBAs out there as there are PS2s.

Concerning the subject at hand, I think that what Iwata is saying is that Revolution won't be replacing the GCN in any conventional sense. Iwata has been very vocal about his reluntance to keep mindlessly producing successors from the outset. In fact, he has already said that Nintendo is going to support the GCN after Revolution.

Based on those facts, I think that the Revlution will eventually replace the GCN but not in the way the GCN replaced the GCN. More the way the PS2 replaced the PS1. It is for this reason that I believe that Nintendo will include backwards compatibility with GCN through Revolution.
Im gonna kinda agree with dark. It is MS's first console, so Nintendo just edging its way out of third place. the last time I checked, the Gc ius ahead of Xbox by about 150,000 consoles, but that doesnt include NPD for May or June, but compared to Nintendo and sony's first console, MS are doing kinda crap, but I guess thats because there is more competition.

btw dark, GBA sometimes outsells the PS2, in japan and in america. juts look at the latest sale numbers

I also do agree with what nicco had to say about the Revolution, it does seem the most sensible thing to happen.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
If that is indeed what he meant, then OK...but it certainly did not seem that way. He was suggesting that there are "just as many GBAs out there as PS2s"...
Yeah there definitely aren't. I *think* there's roughly 55M GBAs to 72M PS2s, though that wouldn't include PSX or GB Players.

jarrod

Banned
psycho_snake said:
btw dark, GBA sometimes outsells the PS2, in japan and in america. juts look at the latest sale numbers.
True, but the gains in America and Japan are somewhat countered by Europe, where PS2 rules stronger than anywhere else and high GBA game prices have slowed it down comparatively. PS2's stumbled in China though, a market GBA has lots of potential in.

ge-man

I think people are getting a little too worked up by the whole successor issue. I'm positive that Nintendo is saying nothing more than their next console will be more than a mere upgrade of what they have. Basically, they are saying that this is not the GC2.

Nicco

dark10x said:
For one, XBOX is Microsoft's first game console. The fact that it has come so close to matching Nintendo says something about both parties...
If you are going to give MS a handicap because it is their first console then you should give Nintendo a handicap because they don't have as much wealth as MS. If it were any other company besides MS making the Xbox, the project would have long died by now. Consider the fact that MS is losing billions--with a 'b'--on the thing.

Here is a story (Aug 03) in which the GBA userbase is confirmed to be 60 million. Here is a story that says that Sony has shipped 70 million PS2s (Jan 04).

dark10x

Nicco said:
If you are going to give MS a handicap because it is their first console then you should give Nintendo a handicap because they don't have as much wealth as MS. If it were any other company besides MS making the Xbox, the project would have long died by now. Consider the fact that MS is losing billions--with a 'b'--on the thing.

Here is a story (Aug 03) in which the GBA userbase is confirmed to be 60 million. Here is a story that says that Sony has shipped 70 million PS2s (Jan 04).

Money is far from the only issue here. Nintendo has plenty of money to throw around AND they need only concentrate on games. MS deserves credit for building up a name brand from nothing and actually having some pretty solid success. GC isn't really too far ahead either, so I'd almost say they are equal (as they have bounced between 2nd and 3rd place several times).

As for the user base...

The real threat to Nintendo, some might argue, isn't in the home market at all - but rather in the portable market, where its key moneyspinner, the Game Boy Advance, is about to come under fire from the biggest player in the mobile phone market (Nokia) and the biggest player in the console market (Sony). "They [Sony and Nokia] will launch with nothing and we'll already have 60 million GameBoy Advance players," commented a confident Minagawa when pressed on this aspect of the business. "We don't see the growth of the portable market as a threat, but an opportunity. It's allowed us to cut the price of components and release the GameBoy Advance SP."

I really hope that is NOT your "source". Do you actually realize what they are stating there?

If this thing plays GC titles, and is a home console that releases after the GC, then this is a successor...just like DS is a GBA successor. I don't care what Nintendo says.

Top Bottom