• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think TLOU is one of the best games ever made?

Do you think TLOU is one of the best games ever made?

• Yes

• No

• it's not ONE OF the best games ever made, it IS the best game ever made

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’ve played maybe the first hour and a half, despite owning the first game day one.
I just can’t bring myself to play through it. I think it just comes down to the whole post apocalyptic world where there’s some mutation/spore whatever the fuck it is and it turns out that humans are the real monster in a world full of monsters lesson in life yada yada yada……

oji-san

Banned
To me it's probably top 20, it's hard to rank it, but The Last of Us part 2 is on my top 4 all time favourites.

I think it is, not because of the gameplay, but how the game managed to create a really serious brutal dark story for a video game, with great characters, narrative and voice acting for a "zombie game".

Last edited:

PillsOff

Banned
It is fine.
Story is not very original, but it is decently paced out n Neil's writing n characters are yet to become means to sell you his politics so there is an actual thought out story.
Combat on Hardcore is really fun but very constrained by the level design.
It is just 2 fight sequences in the entire game where level design allows combat to shine.

Overall it's no Uncharted 2, but still a very well made story focused action game.
Definitely much better then what came after it.
Uncharted 4 n TLOU 2 were a weird splice of unbelievably competent tech supporting absolutely retarded vision(& writing) for both of those franchises.(although entirety of(180 minutes for a 30 hour game) of combat in the TLOU2 is pretty fantastic)

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's one the most well crafted, but it ain't my cup of tea, personally.

Del_X

As much as I like it, half of the game is just walking and talking with braindead environmental puzzles. The story is great but the "game" aspects are just alright.

They made the gameplay much better in Part II but there's even more boring-as-shit standing-around-and-talking story bits and the story is worse. If they expanded on Pt. II's game mechanics and let the story work in the background, or at least gave me like a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of game-to-bullshit it would be incredible.

Last edited:

Banned
it's a 7/10 game at best, so no.

the combat is ok,
thr Controls are ok,
the gamedesign overall is mediocre,
it's infested with bad design choices like forced slow walking, arbitrary limiting of controls etc.
and if we are talking about the original version, the AI was catastrophically stupid

Fbh

I think it's overall great but I wouldn't put it in my top 10.

I think the story and characters are great, Joel is one of my favorite game characters and I think the TV shows smashed this notion you'd see haters repeat over and over that "If it was a TV show no one would care and it would get laughed at for how bad it is". Visually it holds up decently and I've always enjoyed the combat (though the sequel vastly improves in that regard). Also the multiplayer was great, easily one of my favorites from that generation despite the P2W aspect.

But like all modern ND games it suffers from boring gameplay and design when you aren't fighting. Scavenging for resources is boring, there's too much walking and talking, the "puzzles" (if you can even call them that) are terrible and there's nothing in the way of interesting level design or rewarding exploration. Uncharted 4 and TLOU2 suffer from the same issues.

Robbinhood

Banned
One of the best yes, theres many games out there that play different so its hard to directly compare. But at what it sets out to do, its one of the best. Top 20 I'd say.

Gaming is great.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It was my GOTY in 2013 and I put it next to MGS4 as my game of the generation.

However, 10 years later, playing the remake on PC, I am shocked at how basic and unfulfilling it feels. part of it is ND phoning in the gameplay overhauls leaving us with the same 2013 ps3 era gameplay scenarios, mechanics and level design. But then again, I played SOTC in 2018, 13 years after it came out and despite being a visual only remake like TLOU, it blew me away all over again. It is a timeless masterpiece.

I then played Demon Souls in 2020, again no gameplay overhauls aside from some dodge rolling, same exact level design, AI, and mechanics, and again, was absolutely gobsmacked by how good it was from a level design, and combat perspective. 11 years later, and it was still a masterpiece.

I dont feel the same way about TLOU. I appreciate what it did for this medium when it comes to storytelling, i loved the combat back in the day, and prefered it over uncharted. But it has not aged well. Is it one of the game games ever made? Sure. Is it top 10 like MGS3, SOTC, Half Life 2, MGS4? i dont think so.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Great ~15-20 hour game, for a 2013 game, but it doesn't have amazing gameplay as it's only the usual Naughty Dog formula. All their games are the same thing with different characters/setting so once you've played one you've played them all! Story is good not amazing but it did deserve to be adapted into a TV show.

If we only got the one game that would have been fine. Part 2 I don't think was as bad as many made it out to be but I don't find myself excited for Part 3. As a result of the TV show it is a certaintity that we will get one and I will play it.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I really like TLOU but mostly for the performances by the cast. The story and them aren't exactly original, but it worked as a stage for all the actors to play their roles. The evolution of Uncharted's shooting mechanics feels great, brutal and far more grounded. The "puzzle" elements are brain dead and I can't say I'm a fan of the forced RPG-lite mechanics or crafting which just feel superfluous. I'd also say the pacing is a little off the game could use to trim the fat. It's a really good game, even great, but I'll mostly remember it for the interpersonal relationships and nothing to do with the mechanics or gameplay itself so it would be hard to classify it as one of the best games ever made.

Paltheos

No, not even close. I think my score of 5/10 is about right although I could be argued to move it a point. The story is fine but the gameplay is so goddamn boring.

It also stands as an affront to near-everything I enjoy about video games - A push towards prestige gaming even more resembling cinematic experiences over exciting genre titles and innovative titles unique to the medium. I should probably add I haven't enjoyed a Naughty Dog game since Jak & Daxter for the Playstation 2 lol (no surprise - it's a fun genre title), but I acknowledge some of the storytelling Naughty Dog does is good in their modern games. I just don't like the direction they've pushed the industry. I'm glad we live in a space today where it seems most genres can thrive because that certainly wasn't the case 10 years ago.

No doubt, it's in my top 3 for sure and arguably number 1. Game is pretty much perfect in all aspects. Fractions is so God damn good as well. It's a shame the follow up to it hasnt released yet

I’ve played maybe the first hour and a half, despite owning the first game day one.
I just can’t bring myself to play through it. I think it just comes down to the whole post apocalyptic world where there’s some mutation/spore whatever the fuck it is and it turns out that humans are the real monster in a world full of monsters lesson in life yada yada yada……
This is easy to say now, after several games have done it, and we have movies and TV shows. It would be like playing Super Mario Bros now and saying ”running to the right, jumping on enemies, yada yada“.

Aenima

Yes. Its in my top 3 games of all time, with FF7 and Witcher 3. Back when it came out it was the best in its genre and only surpassed by some things the sequel did, like improved combat, animations and encounters. The story, was good enough to make a TV series a huge success.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Seriously?

During my first playthrough I was always on edge. Didnt know if there would be infected or bandits right around the corner everytime.

While in Uncharted 2 ... I felt exactly what you mentioned about TLOU lol

"Now the puzzle part. After that, some goons will appear out of nowhere and there will be a fight. Get cover, shoot, done."

Uncharted 2 was crazy good due to the setpieces, pacing, characters and etc., but the "moment-to-moment" gameplay was really average

Uncharted 4, on the other hand, had the best gameplay ND has ever made. Even better than TLOU 2, imo.
Exactly my feelings.
I like all UC games but 4 is just so much more than shooting corridor after shooting corridor.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
tlou2 is in my top5
tlou1 is in my top15

dunno tlou2 feels more special over tlou1. brave, endaring and something unique. tlou1 is more towards cliche but still a strong game. also gameplay of tlou2 is peak of lastgen that alone would be enough for me to put tlou2 over tlou1
A rare occurrence of me agreeing with you.
Imagine people disliking tlou2 because it is not tlou1 all over again.

BoxFresh123

hzjM6sM.gif

Flutta

Banned
There’s a bunch of better games out there. Just because you wimped out when ”playing” it doesn’t make it the best game ever created…

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
TLOU's scret sauce isnt the story, its the storytelling

Planescape has an amazing story, but how its told is old and archaic af

I can't agree with that. The story told in Planescape is natural and comes through via the gameplay and player engagement.

TLOU's story is told like any number of shows and/or films and has nothing special to it.

Last edited:

Denton

I would give it 9/10, I really liked it and finished it three times over the years, but no, I do not think it is one of the best games ever made, let alone The best game ever made.

Personally I found player agency driven games like Fallout 2, Deus Ex, Bloodlines, Witcher 3 or even Cyberpunk 2077 to be more interesting and better games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The last of us’ problem is sometimes it feels too linear. But once they release last of us part 3 that won’t even matter.

aries_71

Not in my opinion. It’s a decent story compared to most games, but gameplay is absolutely conventional and done better in many places.

Last edited:

Hugare

I can't agree with that. The story told in Planescape is natural and comes through via the gameplay and player engagement.

TLOU's story is told like any number of shows and/or films and has nothing special to it.
Lets agree to disagree then

In my opinion, TLOU's story is told way more through gameplay than Planescape

It's 2.5 hours of cutscene on a 15h game

Planescape is almost like reading a book.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Travel back to 2013 and we all had no idea what will happen in that game.
Played for the first time without spoilers, that game was fucking shocking.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Travel back to 2013 and we all had no idea what will happen in that game.
Played for the first time without spoilers, that game was fucking shocking.

Really? I thought it was the most generic zombie adventure game in recent years. Dead Rising and Dead Island had more shocking twists and turns to it than TLOU did.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Really? I thought it was the most generic zombie adventure game in recent years. Dead Rising and Dead Island had more shocking twists and turns to it than TLOU did.
Dead Rising is the best zombie game when it comes to killing zombies.
Dead Island? shockign twists? what?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Dead Rising is the best zombie game when it comes to killing zombies.
Dead Island? shockign twists? what?

You made the claim that "we all had no idea what will happen in the game... it was fucking shocking". I stated that it was an incredibly generic zombie adventure game and that, narratively speaking, DR and DI had more "shocking twists and turns" than TLOU did. Not sure what is confusing. Nothing in TLOU surprised me. It was just an average version of The Road meets Walking Dead.

Listen man, I'm a huge fan of both parts but they're not even close to being the best games ever made. Exceptional? Definitely! It falls short in the gameplay department.

Woggleman

Yes and I will never understand how people say it has bad gameplay. I think certain sections of the gaming community have this block where they can't admit a so called movie game also excels in the gameplay department.

Top Bottom