• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOJ:Domestic terror groups pose a greater threat to America than ISIS or al Qaeda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/14/politics/justice-department-domestic-terror-council/

Washington (CNN)Domestic terror groups pose a greater threat to America than ISIS or al Qaeda, a Justice Department official said Wednesday.

To help combat them, the department has created a new counsel that will coordinate the investigation and prosecution of anti-government and hate groups.

Assistant Attorney General John Carlin, who oversees national security at the Justice Department, announced the new position -- the Domestic Terrorism Counsel -- following a number of violent attacks or plots against the U.S. that he said were motivated by "anti-government views, racism, bigotry and anarchy, and other despicable beliefs."

More Americans have died at the hands of domestic terror than the international terror groups that federal law enforcement focuses so much attention on, Carlin said, pointing to such high-profile attacks as the racially motivated Charleston church shooting in June or the murder of two Las Vegas police officers by anti-government extremists last year.
Bout time someone said it

I feel like I've known this for awhile now. The recent attacks make it even more obvious that this is the case. Even with stuff like the confederate guy that detonated an explosion at a Walmart, which didn't result in any casualties. If he was more organized and wasn't doing this alone that could've been a lot worse.

I think we'll see more of these kinds of attacks as far right views become less and less acceptable in our society as time goes on.

Slayven

I feel like I've known this for awhile now. The recent attacks make it even more obvious that this is the case. Even with stuff like the confederate guy that detonated an explosion at a Walmart, which didn't result in any casualties. If he was more organized and wasn't doing this alone that could've been a lot worse.

I think we'll see more of these kinds of attacks as far right views become less and less acceptable in our society as time goes on.

It's been fairly evident since Timothy McViegh, all these dudes come with the same play book of crazy ass. But cause they weren't brown they were given a pass. Shit Cliven Bundy pointed loaded guns at federal agents.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That sounds about accurate. I imagine someone connected to ISIS or al Qaeda or that has any ties is probably going to get flagged in some way traveling to the US, or through their activities in the US. Domestic terror groups are already here, and they can communicate with each other more clandestinely without attracting attention (group meetings, bars, through friends, etc) from the FBI.

It's way too easy for sociopaths with a personal arsenal to hide in plain sight. I find myself looking left and right when I'm doing the most mundane shit, like pumping gas.

I knew fans of that team were no good.

tumblr_ntkjqxxNRz1ru5jm1o1_250.gif

Even if you ignore police violence there is a lot to be worried about. It would be better to separate these two problems.

It's been fairly evident since Timothy McViegh, all these dudes come with the same play book of crazy ass. But cause they weren't brown they were given a pass. Shit Cliven Bundy pointed loaded guns at federal agents.

Cliven Bundy was who I had in mind, but I wasn't even thinking far back to McViegh. They're all cut from the same cloth, they just had different methods of going about it.

Slayven

And was applauded for it. I still can't believe it. Not city or state officers...FEDERAL AGENTS. If that wasn't blatant display of privilege, I don't know what is.

Fox News loooooooved that dude until he started saying racist shit in plain english instead dog whistles. They couldn't cosign, publicly.

Lunar15

I had this exact conversation with my parents last time I visited them. They're pretty well grounded and rational on most things, but they're pretty convinced that ISIS is in this country and poses the bigger threat than any domestic, american hate/terror group. I think once we talked it through they began to consider this point of view, it's just that nothing in the news really presents that point of view.

And no, they're not Fox News watchers. It's mainly just the daily paper and maybe AOL news or something like that, which is telling.

I knew fans of that team were no good.

This is great.

Dylan

Was anyone ever arguing this though? The initiative on ISIS was never "marketed" as a means of protecting US citizens. It wasn't sold in the same way as Bush's invasion. It was to stop ISIS from slaughtering innocent Iraqis, who were left (more or less) defenseless after the US troop withdrawal.

Averon

The last time such a report was released, the rightwing bitched and whined about undo persecution until the report was buried.

This seems obvious to anyone not buying into the fear from the right
The problem is that there are many who easily but into the fear from the right. And accordingly so, they will see any measure of activity to curb these groups as a threat to their freedom.

I really hope the DOJ treads this carefully.

Hari Seldon

The threat of either is minuscule, but these people need to drum up fear for funding. Breaking the 4th amendment requires a lot of cash.

StuKen

Those 90s far right lunatics never went away. 9/11 just let them focus on an external factor for a while. Since 2008 and the descent of the Republican party into the basest depths of luncay thanks to Obama's election has allowed for a more fertile and receptive environment for their ideas to he aimed internally again.

Was anyone ever arguing this though? The initiative on ISIS was never "marketed" as a means of protecting US citizens. It wasn't sold in the same way as Bush's invasion. It was to stop ISIS from slaughtering innocent Iraqis, who were left (more or less) defenseless after the US troop withdrawal.

The right argues this all the time. They don't want to admit that there are extremists in their party. Extremists that presidential candidates are currently catering to...

Was anyone ever arguing this though?

Some people I met who joined the military think the War in Afghanistan and now OIR are defending the US, not the country we are operating in. It is nice for government bodies to come out and claim otherwise so that idea doesn't spread.

pa22word

So, Cops right? Because I'd put all the shit cops under domestic terrorists.

Please go to Oklahoma city and go see the bombing memorial sometime. Maybe seeing it and thinking of the hundreds of people who were blown up that day back in '95 might give you pause before shitting up this discussion. Maybe you might even take it seriously instead of using it as a jumping point to move your own agenda.

The last time such a report was released, the rightwing bitched and whined about undo persecution until the report was buried.

The last time was more of a prediction that there would be an increase in domestic terrorism from the right, iirc. Now there's been enough evidence that it's true, so I doubt that they'll be able to get it buried.

Slayven

The right argues this all the time. They don't want to admit that there are extremists in their party. Extremists that presidential candidates are currently catering to...

I can already see the spin "Obama wants to take guns away from The Real Americans"

pa22word

The last time was more of a prediction that there would be an increase in domestic terrorism from the right, iirc. Now there's been enough evidence that it's true, so I doubt that they'll be able to get it buried.

Never doubt the strength of cognitive dissonance to drown out criticism when being hurled by the far right.

Climate change, gun deaths, income inequality, immigration, etc all prove that that handwaving stuff like this away as liberal media bias against their own political agenda will win out in the end.

Ovid

Those 90s far right lunatics never went away. 9/11 just let them focus on an external factor for a while. Since 2008 and the descent of the Republican party into the basest depths of luncay thanks to Obama's election has allowed for a more fertile and receptive environment for their ideas to he aimed internally again.
Agreed.

I can already see the spin "Obama wants to take guns away from The Real Americans"

No different from the message they've been saying for the last few years really. The creation of this new DOJ position just gives them fresh ammo. I'm sure some people are self aware enough to know they are what is being talked about here.

Edit: lol your new avatar threw me off. I just read your comment again and was like "...that's literally what Slayven just said."

Kinyou

Partially because so many domestic terrorists also identify themselves as Patriots.
That's kind of the problem with the second amendment, right? It's supposed to enable people to rise up if the government becomes tyrannic, but the question when a government becomes tyrannic is a bit open to interpretation. Some guy might already draw the line at border checkpoints.

Slayven

No different from the message they've been saying for the last few years really. The creation of this new DOJ position just gives them fresh ammo. I'm sure some people are self aware enough to know they are what is being talked about here.

Edit: lol your new avatar threw me off. I just read your comment again and was like "...that's literally what Slayven just said."

lol the pic was too good not to use. It's fits my "I seen shit" mood I sometimes i get reading posts

Savitar

I can believe this.

Almost amazed a bunch of people haven't tried to do a coup or start another civil war because there's been a black dude as president.

And you hear, he ain't American and is Muslim and he's trying to take our guns!

Makes me glad to be Canadian.

User1608

Banned
Absolutely not surprised, and it's s rather frightening, considering how much they've been lashing out, and I fear it will get much worse down the line.

WedgeX

Banned
Seems like the DOJ is finally reading those back issues of the Southern Poverty Law Center's magazine that they've been keeping on the coffee table.

They may not be "terrorists" per se, but Id be terrified to live in a southern border state with semi automatic rifle laden, angry, right wing men marching around, utterly convinced theyre on a preordained mission from God to protect the country from Hispanic "illegals".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom