• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOJ:Domestic terror groups pose a greater threat to America than ISIS or al Qaeda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Tran

Didn't the government acknowledge this all the way since the Oklahoma City bombing? Outside of a small period after 9/11, domestic terror groups have always posed more of a threat to Americans than any other group. The reason is obvious: ISIS and other international groups are based outside of the US and most of their efforts are directed towards other countries. American terror groups are only interested internally, so all of their efforts will be directed within the country.

That's kind of the problem with the second amendment, right? It's supposed to enable people to rise up if the government becomes tyrannic, but the question when a government becomes tyrannic is a bit open to interpretation. Some guy might already draw the line at border checkpoints.
Wasn't it designed so as to have an armed populace from which militias could be quickly formed so the US wouldn't have to maintain a large standing army?

I'm confused. Are domestic terror groups just gangs or is that what we are calling the Kotch brothers now?
They're mostly survivalist, anti-government, and sovereign citizen groups. Think McVey and the various militia groups that mostly formed during the '90s.

Nevasleep

Depends on the intelligence the DOJ has, maybe other agencies more focused towards foreign threats(including homegrown) aren't so forthcoming with what's actually happening.

Armaros

In other news : anti-government groups are the #1 threat, government says.

I'm so glad they set their priorities right.

You mean the radical anti-government types that bombed buldings and kill law enforcement year over year?

I guess people like a Clive Bundy and Mcveigh are not work dealing with?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but this is something that needed to be done because of the threat of violence to citizens, not just the government itself. The OKC Bombing was planned as an attack on the US government but many civilians were killed as well.

Of the dead, 99 worked for the federal government. Eight of the victims were federal law enforcement agents: four members of the U.S. Secret Service, two members of the U.S. Customs Service, one member of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, and one member of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Six of the victims were U.S. military personnel; two members of the U.S. Army, two members of the U.S. Air Force, and two members of the U.S. Marine Corps. The rest of the victims were civilians, including 19 children, of whom 15 were in the America's Kids Day Care Center.

It's easy to see this as the government looking out for itself, but there are human lives at stake here.

I knew fans of that team were no good.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Yeah, crazy violent shitheads within our own country are more likely to hurt us than the ones across the ocean. But war on terror oh no the Muslims.

Mr. X

I'm hesitant to applaud this. Going to wait and see what they decide to do because this might just burn protests that happen after get caught killing or using excessive force.

Hari Seldon

Yeah you people applauding this have your priorities wrong. This is entirely a call for more gestapo surveillance shit like mandatory encryption backdoors and the shredding of privacy laws.

Yeah you people applauding this have your priorities wrong. This is entirely a call for more gestapo surveillance shit like mandatory encryption backdoors and the shredding of privacy laws.

If that's the case why not continue to use the ISIS/Al Qaeda excuse that's been working the past decade? If it ain't broke...

This threat is actually way worse then people want to think about and it all happened to explode when a certain man was elected president. In fact the number of militia groups since Obama took office rose 800% from 150 to nearly 1300. That is insane I wonder what it is about president obama that makes some people turn to extremism and guns?

This threat is actually way worse then people want to think about and it all happened to explode when a certain man was elected president. In fact the number of militia groups since Obama took office rose 800% from 150 to nearly 1300. That is insane I wonder what it is about president obama that makes some people turn to extremism and guns?
His ears..pretty sure it's his ears.

Yet the KKK still allowed to exist. If known ISIS members were parading around a mall calling for the eradication of infidels that wouldn't be tolerated.

If that's the case why not continue to use the ISIS/Al Qaeda excuse that's been working the past decade? If it ain't broke...

Can't justify too much domestic work if the problem is overseas.

If you see something....say something.
86c21046d9d11ea7f80cce3ae7b71e7a.jpg

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Yet the KKK still allowed to exist. If known ISIS members were parading around a mall calling for the eradication of infidels that wouldn't be tolerated.
The typical counter argument is, "well, they're not really a threat anymore". So what? Does that change the fact that they lynched and terrorized black people in the 20th and 19th century?

Their legacy is what matters, their message is what matters. They're terrorists. There are people still alive that grew up during Jim Crow who can tell you first hand the disgusting acts they committed.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I can believe this.

Almost amazed a bunch of people haven't tried to do a coup or start another civil war because there's been a black dude as president.

And you hear, he ain't American and is Muslim and he's trying to take our guns!

Makes me glad to be Canadian.

There are militias here and there but they would never be able to organize in any meaningful capacity.

As for another civil war, we're too lazy for that.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I would like to point to the recent Captain America comic....

bigotry, racism, etc sucks..... 100%. But when you start labeling your CITIZENS (they are still citizens going to work, paying taxes, etc) as terrorists (or in Captain America, an evil super group)....

I mean that's really IMHO possibly not the best way to go about it. "Your beliefs suck" is a far cry from "You are a danger to this country", especially when "this country" to them are other CITIZENS who believe as they do..

I mean this is ultimately a zero sum gain here. I don't see it ending well heading down this path (not that it's going particularly smashing already......)

bigotry, racism, etc sucks..... 100%. But when you start labeling your CITIZENS (they are still citizens going to work, paying taxes, etc) as terrorists (or in Captain America, an evil super group)....

I mean that's really IMHO possibly not the best way to go about it. "Your beliefs suck" is a far cry from "You are a danger to this country", especially when "this country" to them are other CITIZENS who believe as they do..

I mean this is ultimately a zero sum gain here. I don't see it ending well heading down this path (not that it's going particularly smashing already......)

When my fellow citizens are shooting and bombing in the name of their beliefs, they're still terrorists.

Valhelm

contribute something
So, Cops right? Because I'd put all the shit cops under domestic terrorists.

That sentiment is edgy enough, but totally inaccurate. Terrorism is non-state action meant to provoke terror in people, when traditional means of warfare can't be used. There's not a single definition under which the American police could be considered "domestic terrorist", even though many officers do horrible things.

Government collapse would be more devastating to the American people than pretty much any kind of external terrorist attack.

4qW9cId.gif

Since you brought up Cap, I'm going to assume sarcasm..unless you, like the people at FOX News and their followers, are actually saying they're portraying you. Please be kidding lol..Captain America..

I remember that horse's ass Sara Palin refusing to call those that blew up health clinics terrorists, largely because of her long standing opposition of Planned Parenthood.

Slayven

When you want to shoot and blot things up, you are terrorist.

I shouldn't have used 'applauding' but I had to go find the story. She was basically tossed the question about if the people blowing up clinics were terrorists and she 'didn't know' and wouldn't condemn them.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/24/640591/-Palin-I-Don-t-Know-If-Abortion-Clinic-Bombers-Are-Terrorists#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBv88ixx74k

"I don't know if you're going to use the word terrorist there but it's unacceptable and it would not be condoned, of course, on our watch."

A little different than what you suggested she said.

..fair enough. It stuck out in my mind that she wouldn't call it terrorism when that's exactly what it is.

Agreed. The way she answered that question was an attempt to appeal to both her base (who definitely wouldn't stand for it being called terrorism) and general election voters (who generally don't approve of these acts). Typical of Republicans running in the GE.

jurgen

So other than the typical internet pile-on and fingerpointing at the amorphous blob we classify "right-wingers" and everyone we disagree with politically, what does everyone think about eco-terrorism?

The FBI classified it as the number one source of domestic terrorism until a few years ago.

Every time you think their family can't sink lower, they find a way to do it
I didn't want to mention the rest of the morons, but you're not incorrect in the slightest..that family is a fucking shit bucket..
So other than the typical internet pile-on and fingerpointing at the amorphous blob we classify "right-wingers" and everyone we disagree with politically, what does everyone think about eco-terrorism?

The FBI classified it as the number one source of domestic terrorism until a few years ago.
They're..terrorist? What are you going on about, Frank? Who are you talking to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom