• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

| DOOM Eternal OT | : Dragged Ripping & Tearing Into The New Decade!

Kacho

I can deal with 30 fps but visuals are gonna take a massive hit, yeah.

Can a Switch cart even hold 40gb?
Oh no chance. The Switch version won’t have the high quality assets though, so I’m sure that’ll bring down the size a lot.

Slayer Gates are fucking dope btw. I need more of that.

HotPocket69

Banned
wac1bAY.jpg

Look at how Mario those wall spikes are
This game has actual 1ups you collect
It’s a Mario game
Like Titanfall 2
Mario FPS’s

rofif

Banned
Few hours in (snow level done).
Item not sure... I enjoy it since we don't get good games like this anymore but at the same time "look what they did to my boy". There is nothing here from original doom games and it's much different from amazing 2016 game.
It's still early game for me but:
-too many systems, upgrades and unlockables... Like 4 more levels deep compared to 2016.
-weak points suck. Now there is a best way to kill some stronger demons... So every cacodemon gets a grande on mouth. Every one since it's a tank otherwise.
-little bullets but easy to come by is a weird choice for game like this.
-tons of upgrades and collectibles to find... But levels are kinda linear and it's all on a critical path.
-platforming.. a lot of platforming, .. god
-to much color and arcade feel.

-amazing graphics, music and interesting lore.

Anyway - despite my concerns, I am enjoying it greatly but it's no 2016. Here they did not said no to any idea which makes for crazy fun game with weird flaws and too many systems

Thaedolus

Gold Member
qZ3aWin.jpg

Here we go...

That first challenge gate thing was bananas. I really got into that same arena combat flow I loved 2016 for. I'm playing on Ultra Violence, difficulty seems just right dipping my toes back in.

Performance is phenomenal, 120FPS with zero dips that I've noticed on Ultra Nightmare settings (i7 7700k, 1080ti). I get some of the complaints about platforming but on mouse+KB it feels great to me, even if some of the jumping puzzles are a bit annoying here and there, for the most part I think they offer up decent variety and make exploring for secrets more fun.

I also agree that there are possibly too many systems going on, but the core of what made 2016 (that arena flow and twitchy shooting) is still there and feels even better given all the acrobatics you can now perform. Also, not a huge fan of the weak points, but it does add an element of precision/strategy above just blasting away at creatures with whatever you got...it just does feel somewhat repetitive as others have said. Grenade in every caco's mouth...yeah...

Last edited:

Kacho

Few hours in (snow level done).
Item not sure... I enjoy it since we don't get good games like this anymore but at the same time "look what they did to my boy". There is nothing here from original doom games and it's much different from amazing 2016 game.
It's still early game for me but:
-too many systems, upgrades and unlockables... Like 4 more levels deep compared to 2016.
-weak points suck. Now there is a best way to kill some stronger demons... So every cacodemon gets a grande on mouth. Every one since it's a tank otherwise.
-little bullets but easy to come by is a weird choice for game like this.
-tons of upgrades and collectibles to find... But levels are kinda linear and it's all on a critical path.
-platforming.. a lot of platforming, .. god
-to much color and arcade feel.

-amazing graphics, music and interesting lore.

Anyway - despite my concerns, I am enjoying it greatly but it's no 2016. Here they did not said no to any idea which makes for crazy fun game with weird flaws and too many systems
Nah I mostly agree with this.

The combat is so busy. Like, almost too much so. Everything’s zipping and zapping around. Every time I try to engage something I have 20 imps and 10 other things swarming me.

Now there’s a bunch of goofy hazards that look and feel so out of place.

Look what they did to my boy is right.

Also, what made OG Doom great was it’s simplicity. Here everything’s dialed up to 11. Not bad...just different.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This one is not gonna hit the same way Doom 2016 did. This is flat out a better game in every capacity but it it's not for the faint of heart.

The skill ceiling here is bananas. Just got the half way point and I think I finally got everything down to the point where I feel totally comfortable with every system and weapon. But it took awhile.

But once you are there, it's one of a kind. This is the most in depth FPS ever made. It's stupid how intricate it is. No idea how they pulled this off

HotPocket69

Banned
Some stuff is definitely overdone (either give us the crystals or the praetor coins) but it still works and is still super fucking satisfying when you clear arenas. The gameplay is still there and cranked up like a motherfucker.

Totally sorta get the complaints, but if it was more like 2016, then people would be complaining about lack of change.

Kacho

It’s definitely intense as fuck in a good way and I love the early game enemy variety. Had to take a break after the first two levels because I was so fried. Lol

lefty1117

Gold Member
the movement and speed of this and 2016 remind me greatly of the quake games, esp quake 2 and 3 i played in my late teens early 20s. Those games are why my k/d in Battlefield and COD is always so terrible ... they entrenched in me the desire to constantly move. playing these recent doom games to me feels like going back to the old days. Totally loving it

SweetShark

Ok, I will admit the "Hurt Me Plenty" is too much stress for me.
Jesus, you need to be the whole time on your toes to survive each encounter...

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah I’ve only just begun but it feels more overwhelming than 2016, and I’m running out of ammo constantly. The pacing of the combat feels about 20% faster. Unfortunately I’m old 👨🏼‍🦳

I had this exact same takeaway after the first few levels, I don't play enough non fighting games anymore lol, I think I'm getting rusty.

I am running out of ammo a lot, and don't really understand the decision to remove the starter pistol, which I used to take out the harmless wanderers without losing any ammo. In 2016 you could even melee them once or twice and they'd be primed for a Glory Kill, but I cannot get a melee to work in this game by itself on these guys, I hit one of them 10 fucking times in a row with a melee attack and he wouldn't flash.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Playing this on Ultra Violence and it's definitely giving me a good challenge. But I really am not liking this enemy weak point system and all these different upgrade menus.
Need to give it more time though to feel it out.

ancelotti

I really enjoy the game, but yeah it kinda sucks having a million systems bottlenecked in every engagement by constantly having to focus on weakpoints. I wish they were happy little damage multipliers rather than simply being only sensible way of defeating the enemy. Farming for health, ammo, and armor also gets old after about 5 minutes. I think it's a better game game than 2016, unfortunately it seems to have lost a little of its charm along the way.

Arozay

I keep getting DC'ed from the "online services" and the game thinks its a great idea to boot me to the pause menu to show me mid fight...

I've done like 5 levels on Nightmare, having fun with it so far even if its frustrating to die to a gust of wind or getting bukkaked in a corner.

Feels like there's too many upgrade systems going on which you seem to eventually get all of the decent ones anyway. UI is clean, until you're trying to keep track of all your grenades, flame, gas, blood punch and which mods you have on what. I guess you can ignore half the systems anyway so its not too bad, until you try to chainsaw the wrong thing.

Also not a fan of the checkpoint system, screws around with your mods and ammo (having to recollect if saved before) and locks you to a spawn when you're doing skipped content. You can almost softlock yourself out of the side challenges because of this. Blaming consoles for this one (imagine playing on a controller in 2020).

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
DOOM Eternal is a badass first person shooter. Shooting things, cutting things up with a chainsaw, stabbing heads, raining down bullets and blowing things up. I don’t even mind the platforming. It’s that feeling where you go for a precise headshot after mowing a bunch of demons down that’s really satisfying. I’m past the 2nd or 3rd Save portal thing. I enjoyed DOOM 2016, but so far DOOM Eternal is the better game. Even the detail to the world is nice. It feels like what the Gears of War series started off as, but over time lost to whatever watered it down. :messenger_sunglasses:

Playing this on Ultra Violence and it's definitely giving me a good challenge. But I really am not liking this enemy weak point system and all these different upgrade menus.
Need to give it more time though to feel it out.
I LOVE the enemy weakpoint things. You can chaingun double barrel pretty much everything at the end of the day and with how easy it is to get ammo and the invincibility frames you get with the chainsaw animation makes it so you can be a monster.

HotPocket69

Banned
I LOVE the enemy weakpoint things. You can chaingun double barrel pretty much everything at the end of the day and with how easy it is to get ammo and the invincibility frames you get with the chainsaw animation makes it so you can be a monster.

When you get that weakpoint hit sound it’s reminds me of those weakpoint arcadey ping sounds from Binary Domain.

GAMEY AS FUCK

Nymphae

Banned
One minor odd change that I'm finding tough to get use to playing with a Dualshock is that the throw distance for the analog stick to activate your weapon selection from the wheel is basically all or nothing, it's really throwing me off when I'm switching weapons because it's not registering my quick flicks.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
kNRvUN2

Me at the end of Chapter 4 when

You kill that tank shithead with the shield, think the level is done, then they teleport you outside with 2 of them. Wat.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
kNRvUN2

Me at the end of Chapter 4 when

You kill that tank shithead with the shield, think the level is done, then they teleport you outside with 2 of them. Wat.

Thats some Sekiro level, chop the head off the evil monkey boss only to have it reattach bullshit absolutely

So good and what a fuck you to the player lmao

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Thats some Sekiro level, chop the head off the evil monkey boss only to have it reattach bullshit absolutely

So good and what a fuck you to the player lmao
Fucking Sekiro, man. Don’t get me started 😂. But yeah this game rips. Now back to these twin assholes.

This seems a lot harder than 2016 was. I cleared 2016 on Ultra-Violence without that much difficulty, but the whole weak points thing in Eternal is driving me up the wall. At least I figured out if you can put a sticky grenade close enough you can attack the weak point that way but it's annoying as fuck when I've got 10 random things chasing me around and all I want to fucking do is blow the stupid turret off the Arachnotron so it can stop melting me in like 2 shots.

Removing all damage from melee attacks except if you have Blood Punch charged is also fucking aggravating. In general, the design of the game around rigidly following systems makes the combat feel very restricting and limiting. There is exactly one correct way to kill each demon type, and you're going to do it the right way or else. Every Cacodemon gets a grenade in the mouth, there are no exceptions. Every Arachnotron gets the turret blown off, there are no exceptions. Same with the Revenants. This slavish devotion to weak points removes all creativity out of the combat and I don't really know what is gained other than the devs get to force you to use every weapon instead of the ones you like.

I just passed the two priest looking demons and this game remarkably crushed my balls up until this point on "Hurt Me Plenty", i didn't expect so many things thrown at me at the same time. It's ridiculously fun but is intimidating as Hell, i gotta invest some more hours until it clicks and i fully comprehend all the elements that they incorporated.

highrider

Banned
Well I’m at the part where you get the plasma gun, I actually dialed it down to the easiest difficulty. On hurt me plenty I found myself struggling, particularly before you get your grenades and flame burst/blood punch. As far as I can tell the lower enemies endlessly respawn until you take out the bigger ones in any given combat area. That combined with shooting weak points changes my approach a lot. The combat is pretty rigid in terms of what you have to do.

Now the game is sort of coming together a bit more for me, may dial the difficulty back up as it’s not quite enough of a challenge now, but I also just want to chill and enjoy the game on a first play through. My only real complaint is the combat is somewhat limiting at the moment, but I could see that changing as your arsenal grows, in just about every other way this is an improvement over Doom 2016. Looks better, plays better, they’ve refined something that was already outstanding.

I’m a big Doom fan, anybody that knows me knows I’m a cheap fucker that never buys games new, so for me to buy at release I have to be super confident in the value, and I’m so far happy with the game albeit adjustments are being made to how I play it.

GymWolf

Managed to squeeze a bit in this evening.

It's fun, but I don't know how much I'm enjoying the overwhelming amount of shit they throw at you - not demons, just stuff. Upgrade this and switch that and power up this and collect that, chainsaw him then flame them... it's not that it's hard to manage, I just don't know that I'm enjoying it as much as Doom 2016 yet and I think this is why. I just want to blow some shit up and it feels like I'm glory killing more than I'm shooting because ammo runs out so quickly that it feels dumb not to glory kill.

We'll see, it's fun, but right now I feel like they've gone overboard. Might feel different tomorrow once I play more.

The OST still fucking rips though. Mick Gordon outdid himself.
i hate even the concept of glory kills, i didn't played doom2016 for that reason and knowing that they double down with this thing in the sequel is kinda maddening...

it's a fucking fps with ranged weapon, why do i have to kill 50% or more of the enemies with a fucking melee attack with a long animation? it literally destroy the flow imo (especially if you are forced to do so for ammunition)

also not happy with the emphasys on platforming, i hate platforming 😆
but i haven't played the game (i only tried the demo of d2016) so i don't wanna sound arrogant.

still unsure if i ever gonna buy this game...

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
i hate even the concept of glory kills, i didn't played doom2016 for that reason and knowing that they double down with this thing in the sequel is kinda maddening...

it's a fucking fps with ranged weapon, why do i have to kill 50% or more of the enemies with a fucking melee attack with a long animation? it literally destroy the flow imo (especially if you are forced to do so for ammunition)

also not happy with the emphasys on platforming, i hate platforming 😆
but i haven't played the game (i only tried the demo) so i don't wanna sound arrogant.

still unsure if i ever gonna buy this game...

If you are using the glory kill 50 precent of the time you either suck at the game or don't understand the system. This argument is severely uneducated.

GymWolf

If you are using the glory kill 50 precent of the time you either suck at the game or don't understand the system. This argument is severely uneducated.
i'm not playing the game yet, it's an impression i had reading some comment and watching some gameplay.

Helios

Played a bit of the multiplayer as a Slayer. It's fun but very hectic. Not sure if it has any long term appeal.

Last edited:

nkarafo

How come this game is smaller than the previous DOOM 2016 game?

On PC at least it looks like it's 20GB smaller.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
i'm not playing the game yet, it's an impression i had reading some comment and watching some gameplay.

Point still stands.

IDs rebirth of Doom can definitely be described as fun to play hard to master. Doom 2016 suffered in that once you got the flow down, high level play wasn't THAT hard to master. It took a lot of time but very quickly you learn if you want to be master it you are only glory killing when is absolutely needed.

Eternal has tripled down on the master element. It takes serious skill and patience to even get decent at the game. If you are glory killing every enemy you will be killed.

Last edited:
Well, PS4 copy arrived today, and straight out the gate, I love the way the chainsaw has a cooldown that generates one unit of fuel every few seconds. Makes farming smaller mobs for ammo a cinch! Ultra-Violence is just the right mix of challenge and fun!

Last edited:
Oh, and disabling the effectiveness of basic melee attacks on weaker enemies to replace it with blood punch which can effectively trade in an insta-kill on weaker enemies for health or armor resources? Mwah! Excellent! The regular punch is more of an attack interruptor for imps and soldiers now!

Last edited:
When you get that weakpoint hit sound it’s reminds me of those weakpoint arcadey ping sounds from Binary Domain.

GAMEY AS FUCK

So good. Love hearing that ping. It's like the M-1 Garand perfect level of pop.
A tip that I discovered just now; The fuels for the chainsaw automatic refill.
So don't afraid to use your chainsaw all the time cause you can use it again after 1 minute I think.

People need not forget this. When I hear people saying they don't have enough ammo, I'm like it takes what....30 secs for the chainsaw to refill 1 pip and they spawn zombies every 15 seconds. Ammo everywhere.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Ok, I will admit the "Hurt Me Plenty" is too much stress for me.
Jesus, you need to be the whole time on your toes to survive each encounter...
Yeah, at times it feels like a management simulation more than a fun shooter. Changing grenades, tools, weapons, weapon addons, finding the optimal target, all while jumping around like Yoda on LSD, it's not exactly what I call fun gameplay. Even the easiest difficulty is no slouch and not being able to quicksave and quickload when I want and having to replay 5 minute long battles if I screw up at one point is a real bummer. I don't know what they were thinking, but this game is in every aspect worse than Doom 2016. The level design looks so open, but in fact it's more linear than ever. There's an instant kill zone when you move just two meters off the intended path. You can't jump on obstacles like subway roofs, because you are not supposed to.

And boy do I hate the ammo scarceness. I want to enjoy my guns. Play favorites. Here I have to use all of them, simply because I don't have ammo most of the time for my favorites. Doom (1) had 50 shells for the shotgun. Now you have 16. I'm really annoyed that I bought this game, I surely won't buy the next one.

Yeah, at times it feels like a management simulation more than a fun shooter. Changing grenades, tools, weapons, weapon addons, finding the optimal target, all while jumping around like Yoda on LSD, it's not exactly what I call fun gameplay. Even the easiest difficulty is no slouch and not being able to quicksave and quickload when I want and having to replay 5 minute long battles if I screw up at one point is a real bummer. I don't know what they were thinking, but this game is in every aspect worse than Doom 2016. The level design looks so open, but in fact it's more linear than ever. There's an instant kill zone when you move just two meters off the intended path. You can't jump on obstacles like subway roofs, because you are not supposed to.

And boy do I hate the ammo scarceness. I want to enjoy my guns. Play favorites. Here I have to use all of them, simply because I don't have ammo most of the time for my favorites. Doom (1) had 50 shells for the shotgun. Now you have 16. I'm really annoyed that I bought this game, I surely won't buy the next one.
You have an infinitely refilling chainsaw and zombies resources everywhere. Use them.

Top Bottom