• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

| DOOM Eternal OT | : Dragged Ripping & Tearing Into The New Decade!

HotPocket69

Banned
qZ3aWin.jpg

Here we go...

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Just got home from picking up the preorder at Essential Business Games

Can't wait to dive into this, hope the install doesn't take all damn night.

I am very, very glad that they decided to do the reverse cover again, love reverse covers.

DeaDPo0L84

Played a bit, got to where you acquire the second grenade type for the shoulder attack. Playing on PC with a stable 144fps is pure fucking bliss. Game looks great on top of it and the set pieces are genuinely breathtaking at times.

With that said, I had 5 extra lives going into the first secret encounter that requires a key. I finished it with 1. I got my ass handed to me, was a good moment of humility.

HotPocket69

Banned
They really start throwing some tricky dicky platforming at you as early as the second level. Goddamn.

I mean, it’s no Half Life Xen bullshit, but it’s pretty wild.

Mossybrew

They really start throwing some tricky dicky platforming at you as early as the second level. Goddamn.

Yeah just finished the second mission earlier and I'm definitely not a fan of this platforming crap. I play Doom to shoot demons not jump around like fucking Mario.

Anyway the shooting demons part is as fun as ever so I'll just have to deal with the sucky parts.

TwiztidElf

It really is difficult to comprehend how they fucked this up.
This was the one game this year that I thought would be a sure thing.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Managed to squeeze a bit in this evening.

It's fun, but I don't know how much I'm enjoying the overwhelming amount of shit they throw at you - not demons, just stuff. Upgrade this and switch that and power up this and collect that, chainsaw him then flame them... it's not that it's hard to manage, I just don't know that I'm enjoying it as much as Doom 2016 yet and I think this is why. I just want to blow some shit up and it feels like I'm glory killing more than I'm shooting because ammo runs out so quickly that it feels dumb not to glory kill.

We'll see, it's fun, but right now I feel like they've gone overboard. Might feel different tomorrow once I play more.

The OST still fucking rips though. Mick Gordon outdid himself.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
So im just playing then it says i went offline or something, but my internet is working fine. are the servers down?

HotPocket69

Banned
And just like that, five 1ups I had saved vanished in a single fight. Christ.

This game will really fuck you in the ass if you aren’t on the ball 100% of the time.

I love it.

Last edited:

Codes 208

So im just playing then it says i went offline or something, but my internet is working fine. are the servers down?
I dont believe so (Or atleast not completely down), i fixed this by reseting. Though its happened to me twice now a couple of hours apart (playing on steam)

Last edited:
And just like that, five 1ups I had saved vanished in a single fight. Christ.

This game will really fuck you in the ass if you aren’t on the ball 100% of the time.

I love it.
I lost 7 in one fight once. Was feeling pretty good running around with 9 lives too. Game throws some Hell at ya.

Last edited:

Haeleos

For me, the 2 or 3 interesting gunfights in the first 3 levels did not outweigh the overused platforming, shoehorned upgrading/leveling/XP nonsense, unnecessary cutscenes, directionless storytelling, terrible UI and general arcadeyness of it all. I am a huge fan of the original Doom games and the 2016 remake, but this is missing the point for me. I might revisit it when it's $20, but this isn't what I wanted out of this game at all.

SweetShark

Yeah the spider guys are tough. I think the biggest thing for me was realizing that straight up shooting them to death was okay, although obviously hitting a weak point is the better way to manage a crowd, if you can. It’s just super hectic sometimes and hard to get your aim right when there’s a dozen demons trying to kill you and the spider is moving all over the place.

what platform are you playing on?

Bethesda Launcher.
It is ok. After all, even if you buy it on Tseam you still need the launcher I think.
Plus I got it dirty cheap: 59 euro the Deluxe edition.

Bethesda Launcher.
It is ok. After all, even if you buy it on Tseam you still need the launcher I think.
Plus I got it dirty cheap: 59 euro the Deluxe edition.
You don't.

------
We should talk about how you can't add friends to play Battlemode with in the Bethesda launcher. It's all over their forums. Not a problem at all in the Steam version. My buddy is super pissed. We can't add each other to play.

Last edited:

SweetShark

You don't.

------
We should talk about how you can't add friends to play Battlemode with in the Bethesda launcher. It's all over their forums. Not a problem at all in the Steam version. My buddy is super pissed.

Nah, I am not pissed cause I have games in many different platforms.
Steam, GoG, Epic, Itch.io, this one, Battle.net, you name it.

I always organise the games I have in my personal files on my PC.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Haven't had the chance to dig into it yet but I did play a bit of Doom 64 and holy shit that game holds up from an atmosphere standpoint. It's got legit scares and wonderful foreboding music and sounds.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This game looks amazing. I wish I could be playing right now, but I'm short on free time right now, and I have to watch my money with all the covid bullshit going on here on the west coast. I'll probably bite at $30 like I did with DOOM[2016]. Shouldn't take long, and hopefully they'll add RT soon. Loving all the feedback on the game. Keep it up!

According to people on Reddit Bethesda included a DRM-free .exe in the Bethesda.net version and not the other PC versions. Someone's definitely in trouble over in the Bethesda studio :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
Oh boy. So crackers get the game day one and without denuvo. Think they'll remove denuvo for paying customers? Probably not...

Just finished the first level and all I can think is this is gonna be awesome. I am having an issue though, it runs smooth at 70-80 FPS on ultra nightmare settings; however, I can't turn on HDR. When I toggle it on and hit Apply I get, "The selected monitor does not support HDR."
This is absolutly not true, I have a Samsung C49HG9 and have been playing Division 2 and RDR2 in HDR with zero issues. Anyone else come across this? I can't find anything online about this issue either.

EDIT: id released a small patch and now when I boot up the game there is a prompt letting me know that AMD is aware of the issue and working on a driver update.

HwHPKAJ.jpg

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Not that far. 2nd level i guess. Saw the cutscene with the 2 priests, got the flame belch and just startred the next level. gotta turn in tho. You?
Start of Chapter 4. “Shit got real” in Chapter 3 and a few encounters required a dozen or so retries. Cool thing about this game is, you really feel yourself getting better when you overcome those challenges, it’s a very technical, skill-heavy experience.

I love it.

Nymphae

Banned
Just finished the first mission. Quick thoughts:

I liked 2016's intro sequence a lot more, this just doesn't have the same oomph to me. The huge city sized demons are cool, but I mean 2016's intro is one of my all time favourites - the resurrection, the fight to your suit as shit is hitting the fan around you, the dashes of humour, the elevator ride pumping the shotgun as the music emphasizes the moment and the doors open to your first level, it was just a really tight intro.
I dislike the overall look of the UI elements, like tutorial screens, end of mission screens, etc. I just don't like the designs and colours. It's like Cyberpunky or something. Other than those, the game looks awesome.

Don't want to be Debbie Downer because I love how this plays and I'm going to enjoy the shit out of this game, but these were my first impressions.

highrider

Banned
Jesus I suck at this game and I'm only playing on "Hurt Me Plenty." I might have to put it on the easiest difficulty.

Yeah I’ve only just begun but it feels more overwhelming than 2016, and I’m running out of ammo constantly. The pacing of the combat feels about 20% faster. Unfortunately I’m old 👨🏼‍🦳

Kacho

Christ this is the most alpha game I’ve ever experienced. Just balls to the wall awesomeness.

The gameplay feels so refined too. I see some people complaining and I don’t get it. The flow is much smoother compared to 2016.

Oh and looks unfuckingbelievable. id the GODS.

btw lowkey thing but the colors they use for pickups and UI look sooo much better. Like, it all pops big time on my TV.

The gameplay is awesome once again, but its buggier than the last one. Lost connection to Steam in the middle of a fight (which abruptly paused the game - why do developers do this?) and when I fnished the level, none of the XP went towards the crap it was supposed to. And now my Weekly Challenges have a few Challenges that are uncompletable because they're OVER the requirement and the game doesn't realize it lol

What the fuck is up with the rainbow in the top right. Are they ammo lights?
It's like the 100% meter in Doom 4, just broken up into red (kill every enemy in a level) purple (basically a hard rune trial) and pink (mini-challenge rooms).

Kacho

Assault rifle sounds much puncher too. Much more satisfying to shoot compared to 2016. Can’t wait to grab that plasma rifle.

GymWolf

what difficulty mode you advise for people who use gamepad and are not exactly world champion in frenetic fps like this one (but still wanting a good challenge)??

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
How the hell are they ever going to port this to Switch? They'll have to cut some serious corners and/or remove a level or two.

Kacho

How the hell are they ever going to port this to Switch? They'll have to cut some serious corners and/or remove a level or two.
Doubt they’ll have to cut content but you can expect 30fps and Vaseline visuals.

Are the load times way better in this or is it just me? Playing on the X.

GymWolf

if you like this type of fps, give it a chance to shadow warrior 2, it's dirty cheap and you have great gore, melee, shitload of weapon, dash, air dash, power up etc.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Doubt they’ll have to cut content but you can expect 30fps and Vaseline visuals.

Are the load times way better in this or is it just me? Playing on the X.
I can deal with 30 fps but visuals are gonna take a massive hit, yeah.

Can a Switch cart even hold 40gb?

TacosNSalsa

what difficulty mode you advise for people who use gamepad and are not exactly world champion in frenetic fps like this one (but still wanting a good challenge)??
Since you can change it at anytime with no penalty I would start with ultra violence and if it gets too much kick it down to Hurt me plenty . The easiest is way to easy in my opinion .

Top Bottom