• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

| DOOM Eternal OT | : Dragged Ripping & Tearing Into The New Decade!

wvnative

Not sure what you think, but in the options or social or whatever if you add 3 people who are playing the game too, you will share XP. Which may make it so that you can unlock some of the better skills that could help alleviate some of the issues. Though, you are right, the game is crazy fast and there isn't much other than getting better at it that anyone can do.

I have rarely encountered a game that I just couldn't physically play due to difficulty, sometimes its due to poor controls or whatever, but never due to sheer difficulty.

I blame that dumbass polygon journalist who reviewed 2016, and he couldn't even shoot while aiming, the devs said they saw that review and decided to design eternal around the idea of shit like that not flying.

As for xp sharing, xbox one is my single player machine, i don't have any friends that play this, and a tiny friends list at that.

I do wanna compliment the game on custom button mapping though. Bravo to all devs who implement that.

been spending too much money recently...

must...

resist...

thumb_buy-it-buy-ttnow-phiomemegenerator-net-buy-it-buy-it-now-49357926.png

FFUUUUUCCCKK!!!!!
If Arnold tells you to do something, you do it.

Are cheats usable when you find them?
As far as I know it's for when you want to go back and replay a level. The upside being though is that it doesn't stop you from making progress in any level other than the slayer gates. But as far as I know, you can't use them as soon as you pick them up.

wvnative

As far as I know it's for when you want to go back and replay a level. The upside being though is that it doesn't stop you from making progress in any level other than the slayer gates. But as far as I know, you can't use them as soon as you pick them up.

Been wrestling with this, as I'd never want them to alter their intended game design, but maybe a small compromise they could make, is to make cheats usable immediately only on the easiest difficulty?

Been wrestling with this, as I'd never want them to alter their intended game design, but maybe a small compromise they could make, is to make cheats usable immediately only on the easiest difficulty?
I mean if you're playing on the easiest difficulty I don't see the issue with it. For the most part anyways it's a single player game. Especially in the context of disabled gamers. I wonder if you could get ahold of someone's save that's beaten the game that let's you use all the cheats right from the get go so you can play through it the way you like?

Last edited:

wvnative

I mean if you're playing on the easiest difficulty I don't see the issue with it. For the most part anyways it's a single player game. Especially in the context of disabled gamers. I wonder if you could get ahold of someone's save that's beaten the game that let's you use all the cheats right from the get go so you can play through it the way you like?

This gen's consoles do not allow such things. Saves are locked to PSN/Xbox Live IDs. Man i miss the PS2 days, gamesharks and save downloading, those were the days.

I ain't giving up on it just yet though, maybe they will make some tweaks later on. So far i have cleared every battle, but only on the second mission, its pretty clear its going to escalate beyond my abilities. I will however carry on until such time comes...

Besides, even dying ten times on the same battle, and despite exhausting my hands, this game remains stupid fun.

LukeAJN

Downloading right now so should be ready to slay some demons in an hour or so. Between this and AC it's been an expensive Friday :/

Garibaldi

Is anyone else having issues with the weekly challenges not completing. I'm on 75 chainsaw kills now and the chainsaw master is still locked. I did put the PS4 to sleep a few kills before the completion 28/30 or so, which disconnected me when I came back. Re-logged into beth.net though before continuing.

This gen's consoles do not allow such things. Saves are locked to PSN/Xbox Live IDs. Man i miss the PS2 days, gamesharks and save downloading, those were the days.

I ain't giving up on it just yet though, maybe they will make some tweaks later on. So far i have cleared every battle, but only on the second mission, its pretty clear its going to escalate beyond my abilities. I will however carry on until such time comes...

Besides, even dying ten times on the same battle, and despite exhausting my hands, this game remains stupid fun.
7Q3A.gif

Jesus I suck at this game and I'm only playing on "Hurt Me Plenty." I might have to put it on the easiest difficulty.
It's all about ammo and damage management and player movement. It get's crazy shooting off the rocket pods of Mancubus/Revenants/Arachnotrons all while managing shield soldiers and nimbly ass Imps with a Hell Knight chasing you all around. It becomes a dance. It's hard to learn, but once you do, it's crazy addictive. Like I'll flame belch a group of zombies, run to the other side of the level, fight my ass off until my supplies are low, chainsaw and get ammo and run back to where all the armor I burned off the zombies is lying around.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I thought this game had an in game fps overlay on PC? Trying to see how these different options impact my system but can't see any metrics.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
started a new game, this time on Hurt Me Plenty. Ultraviolence was completely tearing me to pieces. i beat the first DOOM but really haven't played it in a while, my skills are nowhere near that level. this is a tough game!

i so love the first arrival reveal of the destroyed city with the giant demon stalking & lightning in the sky. reminds me of various Dio album covers.

Dio-The-Last-In-Line-album-cover-web-optimised-820.jpg

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Just bought it. I have Animal Crossing and DOOM now then Persona 5 Royal. Never been a better time to stay at home

Codes 208

Just finished the second level and unlocked the ability to unlock skins. Reeeally want those classic and 2016 outfits.

Just finished the second level and unlocked the ability to unlock skins. Reeeally want those classic and 2016 outfits.
They're gonna be super easy to get. Trust me. You get so many Sentinel Batteries through the next few levels that you could probably get both after the next level.

Sygma

The balancing is a bit over the place, Nightmare is meant to like, be done with "back tracking" in mind because there are some secret encounters which basically are close to impossible with the basic loadout but later on they're a cakewalk. Also I'm not a fan of how it kind of is reliant on "key spots" in arenas to exploit, as well as the damage stacking with the freezing etc in mind to basically go nuclear

But like, Ultra violence difficulty and below is basically a walk in the park. 2016 was better on that end

The balancing is a bit over the place, Nightmare is meant to like, be done with "back tracking" in mind because there are some secret encounters which basically are close to impossible with the basic loadout but later on they're a cakewalk. Also I'm not a fan of how it kind of is reliant on "key spots" in arenas to exploit, as well as the damage stacking with the freezing etc in mind to basically go nuclear

But like, Ultra violence difficulty and below is basically a walk in the park. 2016 was better on that end
giphy.gif

I wanna see you play From Software's The Adventures of Cookie & Cream on the PS2 solo.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Combat is great as expected. What's surprised me most is the progression systems and amount of secrets/challenges in each level. This game is dense. I think you'll get more out of Doom Eternal if you're seeking these out. Also, I'm finding myself actually reading the codex pages, which is something I definitely don't do in most games.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
It's all about ammo and damage management and player movement. It get's crazy shooting off the rocket pods of Mancubus/Revenants/Arachnotrons all while managing shield soldiers and nimbly ass Imps with a Hell Knight chasing you all around. It becomes a dance. It's hard to learn, but once you do, it's crazy addictive. Like I'll flame belch a group of zombies, run to the other side of the level, fight my ass off until my supplies are low, chainsaw and get ammo and run back to where all the armor I burned off the zombies is lying around.
Yeah, this game plays differently than Doom 2016 enough that I recommend most experienced Doom players start on HMP and new players start on the lowest difficulty. Especially in the 4th chapter, shit starts getting really tough (and I’m sure even harder as time goes on).

Sygma

giphy.gif

I wanna see you play From Software's The Adventures of Cookie & Cream on the PS2 solo.

I mean seriously ultra violence and under are easy. I understand the design decision as far as Nightmare goes but I thought that it was better handled in 2016. Hp of monsters and whatnot were not changed, you'd die in 2 hits no matter what until you'd upgrade armor at the maximum and a bit of health.

In Eternal essentially they move more and take more hits, while you also take more damage so like yeah you need to kinda backtrack at times to deal with some shit (that one secret encounter in cultist base that like has 2 whippers, 3 normal monsters and one fucking mancubus popping at once basically in a totally closed space is a good example of what I mean)

Outside of that, I'd like to have a more clear indicator for the grenades cooldown since they don't share the same one

Last edited:

LukeAJN

Man this one is a lot tougher then I remember 2016 being, gonna take some practice to get into the swing of things.

Helios

Lots of neat easter eggs in doomslayer's crib
2JZUsJX.jpg

Currently on the third mission and the game is fun. I have a few pet peeves. Mostly that the platforming can get annoying, some of the enemies seem to be specifically designed with you hitting their weak-spot on higher difficulties (I'm looking at you cacodemons) and that the weapon variation so far has been lackluster. I also really don't understand why your ammo doesn't restore after failing a secret encounter. It just makes it so you run out of ammo and have to restart the whole mission to retry.
The rest is just bliss. The environments are more varied and detailed with some really inspired visuals. The game truly shines when the it just throws enemies at you and you're fighting for your life chainsawing and glory killing left and right (which is why the first slayer gate is currently the high point of my playthrough) instead of those platforming sections and slowly crawling through mud while tentacles spawn out of the ground.

Tesseract

Banned
I mean seriously ultra violence and under are easy. I understand the design decision as far as Nightmare goes but I thought that it was better handled in 2016. Hp of monsters and whatnot were not changed, you'd die in 2 hits no matter what until you'd upgrade armor at the maximum and a bit of health.

In Eternal essentially they move more and take more hits, while you also take more damage so like yeah you need to kinda backtrack at times to deal with some shit (that one secret encounter in cultist base that like has 2 whippers, 3 normal monsters and one fucking mancubus popping at once basically in a totally closed space is a good example of what I mean)

Outside of that, I'd like to have a more clear indicator for the grenades cooldown since they don't share the same one

that's a shame, hoping some of this stuff is overcome in one way or another by exploits or patches

Skyr

Uhm. Is the marauder supposed to be a normal enemy? Not able to beat him. Him blocking everything is ridiculous.

HotPocket69

Banned
The amount of lore and story within that codex is pretty incredible. I have no idea what’s going on because I just prefer to slay and ask questions later, but it’s pretty rad and way deeper than I expected.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So the game....

- Makes fun of political correctness, "call them Mortally Challenged, not Demons."

- Has a rememberance to Total Biscuit

- Has a folder of girl pics on Doomguy's PC even if you can't open them

- Game is unashamedly dudebro from beginning to end

Ffs it's about time a AAA game developer gives no shits and tries to pander to the far left. This is seriously a breath of fresh air. If I had money to spare I'd almost support this game (albeit it seems like it's an unfinished game without the day one patch) and I'm not even a Doom fan.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
So the game....

- Makes fun of political correctness, "call them Mortally Challenged, not Demons."

- Has a rememberance to Total Biscuit

- Has a folder of girl pics on Doomguy's PC even if you can't open them

- Game is unashamedly dudebro from beginning to end

Ffs it's about time a AAA game developer gives no shits and tries to pander to the far left. This is seriously a breath of fresh air. If I had money to spare I'd almost support this game (albeit it seems like it's an unfinished game without the day one patch) and I'm not even a Doom fan.

Days Gone is the same way with zero pandering or PC bullshit.

Top Bottom