• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

I thought it looked awesome. I love the brutal knockdowns, more gore is always good in a doom game.

People say it looks slow, i think its just because they deliberately walk slowly through corridors e.t.c, when they are fighting and shooting i think it looks really fast.

Only thing i didnt like was the way monsters spawn health/ammo. Otherwise i think it looks great.

Better then the cancelled version for sure.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Looked like Doom, had the atmosphere of Doom... but sure didn't look like it played much like Doom.

Why so sloooooow? :(

Man, when did DOOM become Sonic? DOOM was never just about going fast, it's about shooting shit, oppressive atmosphere and just all around playing as a bad ass killing machine.

You're too tough for hell to contain, not you're too fast for hell to contain.

Demoskinos

Fallout 4 and Dishonored 2 are cool and all but for me real talk that conference was ALL about Doom. I haven't played or been excited for a First Person Shooter in a good long time. And boy am I ready to shoot some motherfucking demons.

hiex_

Banned
Looks really slow and easy, but maybe that's just for the presentation. Going from just this though, I'd rather just play Brutal Doom.

I think this game is too unnecessarily violent, there is something wrong with people who enjoy these types of games.

No there isn't

zychi

Banned
More excited for this than Fallout 4. Can't wait. Probably have to update my graphics card for this like I did with Doom3

SparkTR

So... corridors.

Corridors, but you could go in directions other than forwards and backwards and encounters were more interesting than the monster arenas shown here. More player agency I guess, didn't see much of that here. Hopefully more interesting and expansive locations are shown off later on.

Spoo

Wow! I'm surprised that this thread is filled with a lot of disappointment. Looked like Doom to me. Pretty happy with what I saw, will be there day one.

I don't how some people are saying it looks to slow. Looked fast enough, especially the portion in hell.

There was probably an expectation to essentially copy Doom 1, and make it look nice. I think it's clear that they didn't want to do that entirely; to me what's on display is a mix of Doom 3 and Brutal Doom (the latter encapsulating the Doom experience well enough). There were clearly moments which were meant to be slower, to build tension, and with the second demo it seemed they were out to prove they could get a lot on screen, and have huge arena fights that are interesting with their systems.

I think it works. It may not be what people expected, though.

Kasper

I thought the game looked great. I wasn't expecting much, but this looks like it plays just like how I like my shooters.

A lot of the enemies seemed oddly stationary in the first part of the demo. Might be because they were projectile focused. Also might not be that way when it releases. Also not a big fan of the canned animations for the chainsaw. I'm betting they'll get annoying pretty quick. Other than that, it looked great.

Spoo

A lot of the enemies seemed oddly stationary in the first part of the demo. Might be because they were projectile focused. Also might not be that way when it releases. Also not a big fan of the canned animations for the chainsaw. I'm betting they'll get annoying pretty quick. Other than that, it looked great.

I wondered if they just had really long recovery times. Seemed like they were staggered, and stayed stagger much too long (not lethally staggered, though, which I think is what the colors indicate).

Looks ok I guess. There doesn't seem to be that great a sense of design... Just mindless demons coming at you. It worked in the old Doom games because they had decent level design, unlike here. Could be fun though.

"Slow" is probably the last word I would have used to describe those demos. I must be getting old...*shrugs*

Looks pretty great.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Corridors, but you could go in directions other than forwards and backwards and encounters were more interesting than the monster arenas shown here. More player agency I guess, didn't see much of that here. Hopefully more interesting and expansive locations are shown off later on.

Seems like semantics here.

Considering you can transverse vertically and leap to different routes in this one. Plus we have yet to see other aspects and level designs.

The originals had every bit of direct small corridor levels as well mixed in.

jett

D-Member
I think this game is too unnecessarily violent, there is something wrong with people who enjoy these types of games.

Personally it's gotten to the point where it's not shocking, badass or interesting. More like, "eh whatever." And it got so repetitive jebus.

Newboi

The first space they showed us was from the second area in the game and is still more of a tutorial area. The spaces to engage in will grow increasingly large, varied, and devious as the game goes on I'm sure. We also have to remember that they are designing the game for you to use alot of vertical movement too. They deliberate design a smaller space, but have enemies space above and below you, which would require you to move around the environment both vertically and horizontally.

RowdyReverb

I can't wait to see people speed run this. I got the impression that you could play a lot faster than they did in the demo, but they wanted to show off features and scenery a bit.

Maximo

video_games_evil.jpg

Rockk

Man, when did DOOM become Sonic? DOOM was never just about going fast, it's about shooting shit, oppressive atmosphere and just all around playing as a bad ass killing machine.

You're too tough for hell to contain, not you're too fast for hell to contain.

This is so wrong it hurts. Doom guy runs 60 mph in the original games. The game is about dodging projectiles. It's a first person bullet hell.

I can't wait to see people speed run this. I got the impression that you could play a lot faster than they did in the demo, but they wanted to show off features and scenery a bit.

I think that's precisely it. Multiplayer was blazing fast compared to the dramatic single player crawl.

They just don't understand what people loved about the original doom games. The level design, awesome enemy design and ai, and fast gameplay is what made doom. This just looks like a sequel to doom 3

Dat Hyperbole

Suuuuure.... iD Software doesn't understand what Doom is. Maybe u should consult for them?

Watched SP demo twice and I am still not sure what to think of it. Graphics and lightning are actually very pretty but damn, those opponents look generic as hell on mars.

Gameplay itself looks ok, I guess, but not like anything one would suspect from a E3 No. 1 Most Wanted title.

SparkTR

Seems like semantics here.

Considering you can transverse vertically and leap to different routes in this one. Plus we have yet to see other aspects and level designs.

The originals had every bit of direct small corridor levels as well mixed in.

True, but not really semantics. The original Doom games had a pretty open-ended kind of design that focused on exploration most of the time. This game looks to be way more reminiscent of Painkiller or Serious Sam in terms of design. I'm sure it'll be fun I was hoping for something different. That said true that they haven't shown us everything yet.

This is so wrong it hurts. Doom guy runs 60 mph in the original games. The game is about dodging projectiles. It's a first person bullet hell.

Not trying to advocate for this Doom, but Doom 3 wasn't bulled hell, it was really different from the original diology, yet it was great game that I imagined immensely. The stuff they shown looks like complete garbage. You can make a good game, or you can make new Doom.

Syf

Banned
Yeah I got this impression too. The player kept pausing to look at the scenery; very slow, smooth movements. Show me this game played by an experienced player with a mouse and it's probably going to look a lot different.

Yeah, he's fast and that is part of the fun, but the main course for me is fucking shit up. Plus, he seemed reasonably fast in the demo.

Dat Hyperbole

Suuuuure.... iD Software doesn't understand what Doom is. Maybe u should consult for them?

Considering that there's only name left out of the id Software, I'm pretty sure that fans of the series actually know better what Doom is, not the people in charge of this puppet under Zenimax.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dat Hyperbole

Did that guy just mention AI in the original Doom?

It was as basic come atcha with infighting. This version adopts it in every way with more branching I am sure.

I would not want Doom to have enemies to flank and scout me. I want mindless destruction, like, the originals, which this appears to deliver on.

People are talking themselves in circles.

Overside

Banned
There were definitely a lot of arenas in there that you dashed around through, rather than just corridors. Looked like multiple avenues.

Methinks some of ya'll are going with some heavy confirmation bias here.

There were no multiple avenues, and it was really, REALLY obvious.

There were monster spawn tunnels, and then there were little tunnels, that wrapped right around and came back out in the same arena room 15 ft away.

There was also a path that, had the demoer gone down it instead of engaging in cinematics, would most likely wrap around and back up to a spot where the player could drop back down (1 way door to before) to the spot before jumping down into the enclosed arena, where the event door with the face design on it would have opened up after the boss shown at the end was defeated.

Top Bottom