• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Looks ... kinda like Doom.

The weapons sounded weak though. That and it needs a more metal-based soundtrack.

Plus my one takeaway really is that all the enemies have the same standardised look that modern games do. Doom 1 and 2 had unique enemies and monsters that you could immediately tell apart.

Toxi

Banned
should be in the OP, but this still looks a little compressed to me; it's definitely better quality though. i'm still not understanding why the ground in that main kind of combat area looks like it's missing it's textures entirely. the whole scene looks like one of those plastic vacu-formed models you get for a train set. it's just a giant hunk of gray.
Probably because the game isn't finished. :p

knerl

Very disappointed. It looks like it lacks identity. Zombies all look indistinguishable from eachother, lacks horror/atmosphere, graphics look ''meh''.

Seeing how Doom 1 & 2 are one of my favorite retro games this is kind of upsetting. I would have rather seen something like Doom 3 and better graphics/gameplay.

This is like Doom 3, but with better graphics and gameplay very much so. Judging by the video that is.

Alienous

Good points. I think the enemies kneeling over and glowing when they've taken enough damage isn't the right way to go here, they don't seem to react to most shots and it just looks ridiculous. Not at all the reason why I'd play Doom, which is renowned for its meaty and satisfying gunplay.

Please remove those melee finishers. Not feeling them at all. They might seem like a good idea of paper, but they looks terrible in action.

I think you're right.

At most just make it so that weakened enemies can be kicked into an inordinate number of gibs.

The locked perspective animations don't seem very Doom to me.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Looks exactly as I was expecting, which is to say it looks like a load of fun.

Day one.

Ishan

Don't get all this uproar at all . We got what half of gaf wants a good fast visceral arena shooter . Certainly looke that way in the pm segment . Yeah we don't have bunny hopping pace but good arena shooters are known for no bs quick kills not only hit scan but projective weapons satisfying "feel" and fast movement . I def saw enough to be excited . If you didn't then you like mordern shooter design or want an exact replica of q3 CDMA IMO ... And exact or close replcas are super hard to pull off .... Look what cs went thru tiller got csgo and that's not 1.6 level either but it's good /close enough .... Adds other layers . I for one and very satisfied with what I saw .... Also repetitative gunplay ? Go play old arena shooters ..... Cs has repetitive gunplay . It just feels good and it's addictive ... Fucking Mario is repetitive jump on some shit mechanics .

Yeah the first couple of times had that shock factor like a mortal kombat fatality. After that it just felt like a chore.

Exactly my thoughts. The first one was like "oh hey, that's really cool" and then it just kept happening...hopefully there's still time to remove them or evolve them into something else.

I think you're right.

At most just make it so that weakened enemies can be kicked into an inordinate number of gibs.

The locked perspective animations don't seem very Doom to me.

I actually like that idea a lot. Have them staggered (not glowing, please don't treat the gamer like an idiot who needs glaring visual cues to know when to do something) and kick the shit the out of them.

knerl

Good points. I think the enemies kneeling over and glowing when they've taken enough damage isn't the right way to go here, they don't seem to react to most shots and it just looks ridiculous. Not at all the reason why I'd play Doom, which is renowned for its meaty and satisfying gunplay.

Please remove those melee finishers. Not feeling them at all. They might seem like a good idea of paper, but they looks terrible in action.

Actually they look pretty good. Not ideal as of now, but overall I think they make a pleasing addition to what I can call satisfying gore.

barit

Looks like Doom for the next generation? Dunno what you all have expected. You can't capture the magic of the old games by simply copy them. You have to create new ones. Graphic seems pretty good what I saw over YT. It feels overall more inspired by Brutal Doom than by the original. I mean would you all be more satisfied if you would run with 30mph through dark corridors with every mile a door blocking your way? This worked maybe in the 90s but we have 2015 now.

Spoo

Yeah the first couple of times had that shock factor like a mortal kombat fatality. After that it just felt like a chore.

They would probably make more sense if you only got ammo/health items when you performed one -- turning them into a "comeback" move used more rarely, which in turn keeps them fresh. Using them over and over would get old, but if you get items for just shooting enemies to death there's no real 'point' to the executions.

Maybe they can balance it so it's used more sparingly for pickups.

Ishan

Exactly my thoughts. The first one was like "oh hey, that's really cool" and then it just kept happening...hopefully there's still time to remove them or evolve them into something else.

I actually like that idea a lot. Have them staggered (not glowing, please don't treat the gamer like an idiot who needs glaring visual cues to know when to do something) and kick the shit the out of them.

Or you know it's like knifing ... Most good players ignore the mechanic ...

Edit : I saw all the making of a return to good competive arena shooters and I haven't seen anything comparable in many many many years . Am happy

The finishing moves remind me of bulletstorm already looks much better than that game. Can't wait to play this.

The fundamental difference between this and Bulletstorm is Bulletstorm gave you full control over the finishing moves. They weren't even "moves," so to speak. The game simply offered you a wide variety of things to kick, shoot, and whip your enemies into and you were free to create your own combinations.

The moves in this you're referring to are just forced camera perspectives and preset animations.

I hope they give us a simple kick or powerful weapon melee move. Nothing fancy, just a strong attack that ragdolls enemies. I'll take that over scripted "cinematic" moves any day.

xBladeM6x

I'm just curious how do you make a "modern" version of DOOM?
Brutal DOOM for reference. Personally, I fucking love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PjWJwLP88w&feature=youtu.be
Brutal Doom plays at a slower pace than vanilla Doom though.
I keep seeing people say this, but I don't see it. If anything, it feels much faster. Lol

This thread made it super easy to tell which people played the original MS-DOS Doom and which people didn't. I think this is about as perfect as a modern Doom is going to be. If you're comparing it to Brutal Doom or any of the mods... you're not asking for Doom.
I think the confusion comes from the fact that it feels like Bethesda is trying to use elements and general tone from Brutal DOOM, so comparisons are made because in many ways, they are similar. (for example, the emphasis on the actual brutalizing of enemies) Though personally, I find Brutal to be more satisfying than the original now, even if I do love the original.

BlackRock

Well, it looks like Doom 3...except no where near as dark, scary, or interesting. I was actually a fan of Doom 3. I still feel it was a brilliantly tense and atmospheric game. It had it's problems, but it was a far better game than many gave it credit for. I didn't mind the direction that id had taken things - a much more survival horror direction. They had obviously taken some inspiration from System Shock 2 right down to the audio discs. So, making a follow on to Doom 3 is not a bad thing at all. But, I dunno about this. I'd like to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt, but this doesn't look good so far. It's like they lost all of the good parts of Doom 3. It's not exactly a return to roots either.

dmr87

Plus my one takeaway really is that all the enemies have the same standardised look that modern games do. Doom 1 and 2 had unique enemies and monsters that you could immediately tell apart.

Agreed, it's mostly just brown. In a fast paced game you need to be able to distinguish between enemies so you can react accordingly.

Terrible weapon feedback. Never more than a few enemies on screen. Disappointed with the first showing.

Yeah, weapons and feedback look bad. The one thing you need to get right with this game. But it's hard to blame them. Doom 3 didn't really get that right either.

I kinda wanted Brutal doom with 3d graphics, instead I got nothing. =/

Also what I was hoping for. Missed opportunity.

Impulsor

It kinda looks like it has some of the atmosphere of Doom 3, with gameplay more akin to Classic Doom, now I regret selling Wolfenstein The new order :(

Ishan

I've always got the sense gaf while super enthusiast on gaming is general has a smaller portion of ppl who get competitive mp gaming . The csgo threads were one indication and the reactions on this certainly reinforce it ...

Edit : example shotgun has no range , enemies take too little dmg ..... No no and no that's how shotguns are balanced with other weapons it's meant to only be effective super close range . Two more time to kill powering up shields. = where the skill gap and map control elements came in q3 for something which has been completely diluted by the crap two bullet killsin most games today . This game is doing so much right and geting shit on for it .

biteren

Looks like Doom for the next generation? Dunno what you all have expected. You can't capture the magic of the old games by simply copy them. You have to create new ones. Graphic seems pretty good what I saw over YT. It feels overall more inspired by Brutal Doom than by the original. I mean would you all be more satisfied if you would run with 30mph through dark corridors with every mile a door blocking your way? This worked maybe in the 90s but we have 2015 now.

i 100% agree with you

I've always got the sense gaf while super enthusiast on gaming is general has a smaller portion of ppl who get competitive mp gaming . The csgo threads were one indication and the reactions on this certainly reinforce it ...

What does this have to do with what we saw of doom? I mean, I do agree with you, maybe I should have read more of the thread?

I thought it looked fine, chainsaw is hilarious. But I think the excitement would wear pretty thin fast.

Complaints about it being slow seem weird to me. It is faster than pretty much any modern AAA shooter (by quite a bit), perhaps people mean the horrible controller action we saw with the slow panning and turning?

I enjoyed a lot of what I saw visually and conceptually, finishers look cool, but I question them being enjoyable during multiple playthroughs or throughout the game's length.

Regarding enemy sillouhettes, I had a pretty good idea of what he was fighting each time. It was pretty easy to tell a baron from an imp, from a zombie thing. More colour variation would not hurt though.

drotahorror

With the exception of 2 or 3, almost everyone thought the MP looked good. duno what you're goin on about.

El_Chino

Complaints about it being slow seem weird to me. It is faster than pretty much any modern AAA shooter (by quite a bit), perhaps people mean the horrible controller action we saw with the slow panning and turning?

I enjoyed a lot of what I saw visually and conceptually, finishers look cool, but I question them being enjoyable during multiple playthroughs or throughout the game's length.

Regarding enemy sillouhettes, I had a pretty good idea of what he was fighting each time. It was pretty easy to tell a baron from an imp, from a zombie thing. More colour variation would not hurt though.
I agree 100% with everything you said.

Ishan

Ppl quoting me . I explained for example shotgun bullet sponge enemies etc ... Like I said I saw elements of old school arena shooters and then walked into this thread and saw a parade of hate .... Ehh maybe I'm overreacting since I really want an old school arena shooter and this seems to be aiming for that . And yes mp looked awesome :) agree

In regards to complaints of it looking slow, I think the constant use of kill moves are partially to blame for that. The constant shifts to a forced perspective/angle and animations really kill the tempo of the video.

If you replaced even half those moves with a simple kick/punch to the face, or even just a finishing shot from a gun, the entire video would not only be shorter but have a better flow to it.

Luckily the kill moves are optional so that's one thing you don't have to worry about putting up with if you don't want to.

KKRT00

I personally dont like that You are so confined, the enemies basically pop-ups like in RAGE, and weapon switch animation are very slow.

It is really more like RAGE than Doom.

DMTripper

Really enjoyed the reveal, the game looks really fun. It's doom so I expect a full on demon onslaught with badass looking guns and a chainsaw. I'm happy :)

Shredderi

Brutal Doom but in 3d would have been perfect. I think there is potential here but the gun feedback and pausing for melee finishers seem detrimental to a "doom" experience. I'll also echoe that the enemies do look kinda samey. Should propably make their colours a little more distinctive from each other or something. I recognize that the game as an fps game is kind of fast but there were some things that seemed to slow it down. Visually it looked good.

I personally dont like that You are so confined, the enemies basically pop-ups like in RAGE, and weapon switch animation are very slow.

It is really more like RAGE than Doom.
In terms of being confined, the first level definitely is quite confined (UAC base), but the hell little arena they showed off seemed to offer up a wider space with quite a good amount of verticality. Combined with double jump and low fall damage, I think that is the new "horizontal strafing" in this game: which is, of course, questionably a good thing (it is a matter of how they do it).

I definitely would prefer a non-time slowing weapon wheel thoughl (also just a normal weapon scroll would be better). In its current state it seems overly easy whilst feelinga bit slow... perhaps they will nerf it on higher difficulties? I hope so....
Looks very dated. Tech wise and gameplay wise.

Visually it is doing anything modern games are doing if not more than the average COD even. Perobject blur, bokeh, particle lighting, PBS, all realtime shadowing, even some volumetric lighting (apparently, need higher quality footage to tell better).

Looks like Doom for the next generation? Dunno what you all have expected. You can't capture the magic of the old games by simply copy them. You have to create new ones..

I honestly think some Doom fans wouldnt be happy unless Doom 4 was literally a carbon copy of Doom 1 & 2 but with updated graphics.
I still think its a bit early to comment (people already calling it garbage based on a 2 minute demo makes me smdh), but what i saw at least looks promising.

Fast movement
Gore
Lots of guns
Large maps with lots of routes
You are the Demons

What we thankfully didnt see

Wait high cover
Perks, ranks, unlocks
Deep moral choices
Everything bullshitty about FPSes since 2007

Adam M

I can understand the mixed feelings but it don't look that bad, kinda a Doom and a Doom 3 hybrid which i expected :)

There are few unique elements which are cool.

Bl@de

Looks awesome. Looks more like Quake 2 but that's even better. Day One. Day Zero. Whatever. God this looks great.

What I love: They removed the big flaw of The new Order. AUTOPICKUPS. Nothing but killing. No walking, looking on the ground, hammering E

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I keep seeing people say this, but I don't see it. If anything, it feels much faster. Lol

No kidding. I started playing the original Doom oldschool style, but got bored after one and a half episodes. Tried it with Brutal Doom and it felt much faster and more responsive. The hit reactions were great too. Blazed through all of Doom 1 and Doom 2, and now I'm working through Plutonia and Evilution.

The thing that gets me the most about the older games is how painfully slow most of the weapons are. Even the chaingun feels slow, firing at the rate of a standard assault rifle for most other games. Brutal Doom is somewhat unbalanced, but I thought it was a whole lot more fun.

People might cite reloading as a reason the game is slower, but that's to counteract higher fire rates and generally more powerful weapons. Plus the reloads are all very quick and, in the case of the standard shotgun, can be interrupted.

If it's the finishers folks are citing, those are optional. You only do them if you've got a beserker pack and use your fists in the "rip and tear" mode (as opposed to the "smash" mode). All other finishers occur within normal gameplay (like shooting a wounded demon, or kicking it in the face until dead).

In any case, the Doom I saw here was considerably slower than both Doom and Brutal Doom, with much worse hit reactions from enemies.

viveks86

They would probably make more sense if you only got ammo/health items when you performed one -- turning them into a "comeback" move used more rarely, which in turn keeps them fresh. Using them over and over would get old, but if you get items for just shooting enemies to death there's no real 'point' to the executions.

Maybe they can balance it so it's used more sparingly for pickups.

May be. I think there was excessive focus on it in the demo and may be it wouldn't feel so overdone when playing it, since the choice is up to the player whether to initiate it or not

Wace

Please, please, please get rid of the sniper rifle.

Please, please, make monsters more distinguishable from one another (geez, even sub-zero / scorpion kind of difference is welcome here).

Please, get rid of finishers.

Then you can keep everything else.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They're saying 1080p60? I doubt that (on console)

The footage at the conference was shown at 60 on Twitch and you could see it was wel under 60 most of the time on what I imagine was a PC.

May be. I think there was excessive focus on it in the demo and may be it wouldn't feel so overdone when playing it, since the choice is up to the player whether to initiate it or not
Yeah, I don't see an issue. The finishers are optional. You could just blast staggered enemies if you prefer.

Can I just say that I too fucking hated Doom 3 as a sequel to the classic Doom games. It was so very bad in that respect.

Judged on its own merits, it's not quite as bad but just an average experience.

Top Bottom