• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

Skitso78

It's funny how when I first watched those youtube videos in the OP on my phone, I thought that how the hell someone can make the game called Doom look, sound and feel so meh.

Thankfully I later went to my PC, and watched the same hell gameplay footage with decent image and sound quality and 60fps and not the poor, stuttering and compressed mess of a stream footage one in the OP. Yeah, it's still not the original Doom remastered we all hoped for, but I'm cautiously optimistic that the game will feel fine and be fun when we get to play it for real.

But they really need to tone down the takedowns or at least let us remove the hud promts. I can see them becoming tiring very fast. Also, health pickups from killing enemies. Ugh. :/

Zemm

Too slow
Melee 'cutscenes' are poor, can ignore them I guess so not too worried
Poor monster design
Terrible level design

It's basically more Doom 3 which I don't consider a good thing.

baphomet

What part of my post was shit/stupid please explain.

You know, the part where you're speaking as if you know anything about the future. So basically all of it.

Don't like the game, that's fine. But if you want to spout off shit from your crystal ball do it elsewhere.

liquidtmd

Banned
It looks slow with a muted colour scheme.

The original Dooms appeal was speed and vibrant Red demons et al amongst the dark chambers.

As such, despite its other visual appeal, it doesn't really float my boat the way I hoped.

DocSeuss

Like 90% certain this will feel faster for those of us wise enough to use a mouse and keyboard.

Going back through the footage, you do realize this is around 2x as fast as Wolfenstein, right?

Show the masses a fast paced shooter with powerful weapons going up against badass demons without any cutscenes and flow killing melee kills and I think they'd like it.

Showing the masses a shooter where you run around pumping rounds into enemies chests while exploring various arenas using the same textures for every thing while experiencing the hearthbreaking tale of a man with a gun growing out of his chest does sound like a recipe for mass appeal now that I think about it.

Looking back at the trailer, they at least got the unimaginative color palette spot on. Now they just need to make the enemies bright purple so they stand out.

RudoIudo

Most of these complaints could be solved with a difficulty mode which removes melee and removes weapon slowdown during change

Why remove meele when is already optional?

Most of the complaints in this thread also doesn't makes any sense in a 2015 game targeting the 2015 console demografic.

Others still cannot understand what a gameplay e3 demo is (Ia,movement and aiming speed).

The game sure could be improved but still looked good, is 60fps, no sprint, no ads, has a built in editor. I was actually impressed by the effort.

A modern reboot could have been Very worse for the "hardcore" standard.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Im excited. Looks like a mix of Doom 3 with some classic Doom ideas. It's clearly not classic Doom but it looks like a lot of fun and I suspect it will feel great. Faster than Rage and Doom 3, no Rage-like hub world, and no reloading. There are plenty of enemies on screen. It's not like classic Doom maps flooded every map with loads of foes...

Thankfully I later went to my PC, and watched the same hell gameplay footage with decent image and sound quality and 60fps and not the poor, stuttering and compressed mess of a stream footage one in the OP.

where did you find this? everywhere i'm seeing has the stream footage (i.e. - compressed).

Nice engine but like Doom 3, this doesn't seem to have that other-worldly weirdness that is essential to making the original Doom games so great. It doesn't have that feel. Doom has never just been about industrial/futuristic settings, which is where Doom 3 falls down heavily.

KKRT00

Graphics are outstanding for 60fps, but maybe this was PC.

Gameplay though looks like RAGE, which is not what i wanted from Doom.
Very disappointed.

Felensis

Banned
Nope. For me it doesn't has the feel of Doom which I was used to. Beside of that I'm bored of hardcorev violent shooters which live just from shooting, killing, gore & splatter.

dark10x

Nope. For me it doesn't has the feel of Doom which I was used to. Beside of that I'm bored of hardcorev violent shooters which live just from shooting, killing, gore & splatter.
Can you name all those hardcore violent shooters of late? I'm coming up empty.

Seanspeed

Banned
The multiplayer video showed some really fast, classic-like movement at one point. I don't know if that was just a specific optional functionality enabled within the editor or something, but maybe the single player demonstration stuff just wasn't using the 'move around quickly' button or something? I dunno. A stretch, I guess.

Doesn't bother me too much. I never played Doom all ultra quick. I was also not one of the hardcore types who played on the extreme difficulties, either. AND I enjoyed Doom 3, despite it not being much like previous Dooms. So I can still dig what I've seen here.

I do hope they make an effort with level design(and isn't just full of monster arenas as shown in the video). The Snapmap stuff sounds like they have a decent idea of what the loyal Doom fans appreciate, so maybe what they've shown just doesn't give the full picture? Again, maybe a stretch, but maybe not in this case.

I'm still looking forward to it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder what spec of PC you need to really do this game justice and I wonder if it's got VR support?

should be in the OP, but this still looks a little compressed to me; it's definitely better quality though. i'm still not understanding why the ground in that main kind of combat area looks like it's missing it's textures entirely. the whole scene looks like one of those plastic vacu-formed models you get for a train set. it's just a giant hunk of gray.

i like the music but not for a "reboot" of Doom. it feels more in line with what they did in Doom 64 and Doom 3, but i was really hoping for more of a return to what made the first 2 games so great.

we'll see i guess, they have a year to keep at it.

manzo

I don't know. Didn't look too hot. Maybe the way it was presented (slow pannings and the player too his time to show everything before going on), but the game felt really slow. Or then I'm just done with these AAA ultraviolent shooters.

I'll wait for more impressions.

Also, why am I not surprised that "it's the console's fault" that the game is slow or has a weapon wheel? I don't think the game would be any different if the game would be PC exclusive.

Visually stunning, but the gunplay looks off.

I can't put my finger on it, but it just looks awkward and lacks any real punch. Still, early days I guess.

Can't say I like how much the dropped items stand out either.

Alienous

It's weird that the melee finishers aren't their own system, like the Kreate-A-Fatality system Mortal Kombat tried out a few years later.

Basically I'm saying that when you start a melee finisher the game should turn into Surgeon Simulator.

NIGHT-

That's exactly what people want, apparently.

Doom 1 with updated graphics would sell to everyone who played the original and still had time to play it. The interest from the mainstream players would be awful.

The older games are good because of nostalgia. People tend to forget their faults over time.

The hell is this? The original games are as timeless as Mario and hold up perfectly

dark10x

I don't know. Didn't look too hot. Maybe the way it was presented (slow pannings and the player too his time to show everything before going on), but the game felt really slow. Or then I'm just done with these AAA ultraviolent shooters.

I'll wait for more impressions.

Also, why am I not surprised that "it's the console's fault" that the game is slow or has a weapon wheel? I don't think the game would be any different if the game would be PC exclusive.
Again, what AAA ultra violent shooters?

Spoo

I do think that the design motive behind the melee executions is a pretty neat idea, actually -- they may slow down the gameplay somewhat, but they still provide the 'forward momentum' that they are trying for here; where time that would have been spent moving backward, maybe picking up a health pack or two, is now replaced by a melee execution to deal with in-your-face annoyances, and enemies drop health packs to keep you going. By themselves, none of these ideas are amazing, but together they do provide an impetus to be fast, be precise, and be taking the enemies head on instead of retreating.

I'm not sure I got the same sense of linearity everyone else did from the two areas. It seemed like there was a lot of ways to take on the fight in the second part of the demo, and the first part -- while clearly limited -- seemed to have more walkable space than was actually explored. Hopefully they provide incentive to walk it.

viveks86

I was blown away by the visuals but found the gameplay to be a collection of cool things to do that would get old within minutes. Not to mention how none of the enemies really felt like a threat. It probably has to do with difficulty settings used, but given how it was demoed, it seemed like they don't want the game to feel that way anymore. Also, the guns (player's as well as enemies) sounded surprisingly weak. Got mixed feelings about this.

DocSeuss

I can't put my finger on it, but it just looks awkward and lacks any real punch. Still, early days I guess.

A couple factors:

1) the shotgun has almost no range; one of the first monsters doesn't even respond to his attacks

2) most monsters don't flinch or do anything to indicate they've been hurt UNLESS they gib

3) most monsters take too much damage, so you shoot a LOT and nothing happens

Based on this footage, reduced enemy health and increased enemy numbers would help increase the gun-feel a lot, but I haven't played, so I can't be certain. It's something I'd love to see tried out, however.

The hell is this? The original games are as timeless as Mario and hold up perfectly

Nah. I liked Doom after going back to it, but it gets old pretty quick. Just not enough to interest me in how it handles 3D spaces. Quake's better.

dmr87

Why would there be a weapon wheel in a PC exclusive game?

Still, the PC version could just use keybinds. And if you plug in a controller it automatically switches to a wheel.

Wagram

Another thing I would like to add is that finishing punch we see in the video throughout. I'm not buying it at all, it doesn't look like it has any actual weight behind it. Plus these are mother f'ing demons man, are they seriously going down to a light weight punch?

EGM1966

Faster and better open levels than Doom 3. Still looks slow though and focused on small groups of enemies.

Inevitable with console market and modern graphical expectations but still a tad dissappointing.

I'll let me hopes for a pure original Doom experience go at this point and focus on what looks good about this from here on it.

It is what it is and I still might want that.

Guile

Banned
Very disappointed. It looks like it lacks identity. Zombies all look indistinguishable from eachother, lacks horror/atmosphere, graphics look ''meh''.

Seeing how Doom 1 & 2 are one of my favorite retro games this is kind of upsetting. I would have rather seen something like Doom 3 and better graphics/gameplay.

knerl

Looks great. Definitely gets the impression of gunplay turning out great here.
Bet things can get far more hectic than in this demo too. Doubt all areas will turn out to play the same. Visually it's a looker. It still suffers from idTech5 genes a bit, but overall I think it's a pretty big leap. Big enough at least. Supposedly a "shader guy" from crytek is on the team now and that shows if that's true.

I played the original Doom games for the first time only a few years ago. They aged a lot better than you appear to be giving them credit for.

A vast understatement really. To look at Plutonia Experiment, a total masterclass in game design, and say "it's just good because of nostalgia" is completely absurd.

A couple factors:

1) the shotgun has almost no range; one of the first monsters doesn't even respond to his attacks

2) most monsters don't flinch or do anything to indicate they've been hurt UNLESS they gib

3) most monsters take too much damage, so you shoot a LOT and nothing happens

Based on this footage, reduced enemy health and increased enemy numbers would help increase the gun-feel a lot, but I haven't played, so I can't be certain. It's something I'd love to see tried out, however.

Good points. I think the enemies kneeling over and glowing when they've taken enough damage isn't the right way to go here, they don't seem to react to most shots and it just looks ridiculous. Not at all the reason why I'd play Doom, which is renowned for its meaty and satisfying gunplay.

Please remove those melee finishers. Not feeling them at all. They might seem like a good idea of paper, but they looks terrible in action.

Top Bottom