• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

Blim with the quickness.

It really looks like a mixed bag when it comes to art.

image_doom-28567-3000_0003.jpg

The ravenant looks sick as shit and the new cacodemon sure is an interesting take on the classic, but that Baron of Hell/Cyberdemon is kind of... uh. The original design was timeless, there was no need to change it that much. Same with the Mancubus.

I think the Cacodemon, Ravenant and Cyberdom look ok. Cyberdemon has changed a lot but whatever, it shouldn't be a enemy that is used a lot. But you are right, the new Hell Knights are bland as hell, there was something charming in the "classic demon" archtype used by Knights/Baron. Mancobus design was a classic, the new version seems a modded up version. It's too complex, not as elegant in his simple but horrific design.

Majanew

Banned
LOL, I was just reading some of the comments at Gamersyde when I was looking at the pics. These graphics aren't worthy of this generation? What the fuck? Where?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think the Cacodemon, Ravenant and Cyberdom look ok. Cyberdemon has changed a lot but whatever, it shouldn't be a enemy that is used a lot. But you are right, the new Hell Knights are bland as hell, there was something charming in the "classic demon" archtype used by Knights/Baron. Mancobus design was a classic, the new version seems a modded up version. It's too complex, not as elegant in his simple but horrific design.

I don't remember the Cyberdemon being that tall in the original, is it me or am I misremembering things?

Do we know if the Spider Mastermind is in?

Other games have come and surpassed it by miles. To an uninformed observer, Doom would just look like some normal monster shooter.
Hm, you may be right, but like I said, the next few days will tell the tale of how things will look from here on out. Just throwing my two cents in there, but I'm still hyped for the game.

Justinh

Oh that's a Hell Knight? I thought that was a Mancubus and was hoping a Hell Knight would look more..."Hell Knighty"...

Hmm, I guess mancubi don't have horns and that guy's not fat enough...

True, but with the melee kills... you never know, that shock value may make a comeback.

Another thing that doesn't convince me.

It seems they said "the original Doom was pretty violent for the time! we need to replicate that!" and they made it the new one super gory, with more shock value, with silly and repetitive melee finishers. Focusing so much in that detracts from the real gameplay, imo.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Genuine question because I am excited about this game, why does everything look like plastic? It's really off putting, just imagine what your looking at with more Shader effects instead, would look infinitely better rather than Plasticine Doom.

Oh that's a Hell Knight? I thought that was a Mancubus and was hoping a Hell Knight would look more..."Hell Knighty"...

Hmm, I guess mancubi don't have horns and that guy's not fat enough...

This is the Mancubus

The Hell Knight is the one that drags away the guy whose arm the player rips off

can't find a screengrab (you can see them from 1:32 in the second video), but looked pretty close to its Doom 3 version

I don't remember the Cyberdemon being that tall in the original, is it me or am I misremembering things?

Well, the original Doom were a bit weird in that regard, as the 2.5D engine couldn't appreciate or express well in screen the height of things. But the Cyberdemon was supposed to be twice as tall as yourself, yeah.

The difference here is that not only he is tall, but it's all very.. bulky.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Another thing that doesn't convince me.

It seems they said "the original Doom was pretty violent for the time! we need to replicate that!" and they made it the new one super gory, with more shock value, with silly and repetitive melee finishers. Focusing so much in that detracts from the real gameplay, imo.

I could have sworn the one where Doomguy rips out a monster's heart and fed it back to him was something that came out of a Mortal Kombat game. I'm aware that Kano had a heart rip finisher in the original, but not the feeding it back to him part.

Alienous

Genuine question because I am excited about this game, why does everything look like plastic? It's really off putting, just imagine what your looking at with more Shader effects instead, would look infinitely better rather than Plasticine Doom.

I think it's intentional, as to make the game look prerendered. Reflective shaders.

I think it beats attempting realism. It's a style.

HonMirin

Looks very scripted. Every melee attack was 'different', like a wide variety for the same attack approach. It comes across as a tech demo/proof of concept. Not feeling it, just feels... Off somehow.

It's a shame as like many here, I grew up with doom. I'll wait for the actual release rather than an E3 hype demo.

Hey blim blim, sich you are such an awesome guy, work the channels and procure some unfilter doom footage if you ever can. I would sacrafice a coupe of goats over a candle lit pentagram if you do.

redlegs87

I thought it looked really fun. The graphics are damn great the lighting just awesome. Character design seemed quite alright to me.

IvorB

I could have sworn the one where Doomguy rips out a monster's heart and fed it back to him was something that came out of a Mortal Kombat game. I'm aware that Kano had a heart rip finisher in the original, but not the feeding it back to him part.

The latest MK has a fatality where the guy's throat gets ripped out and then force fed back to him. I don't remember who does it though.

Nzyme32

This looks pretty rough. Love the design of the semi-sci-fi shotgun though.

image_doom-28567-3000_0001.jpg

I really would rather have the original design of the cacodemon rather than this gritty one. The original just looks cooler. I could imagine a far bloodier one being really spectacular with modern graphics

Doom_cacodemon_h2.jpg

ghst

thanks for the laugh
GAF is so polarized over this, lol

I wonder what the hell kind of game of other wordly, ethereal, god-like origins and epic, biblical proportions needs to be made to impress some of you. This is classic Doom, with a few modern tweaks. This is as old school as you will get in 2015/2016. I don't know about y'all, but I lost my damn mind many times during that demo. This was the perfect way to start a conference.

Being a big Gears fan, I can say those chainsaw kills and that gore are fucking GNARLLLLLLY. The Coalition better take notes.

remake brutal doom in a modern engine and this whole place would be gushing.

it's not about doing more, it's about doing it differently.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
For some reason, I really hated how this looked last night but having rewatched the trailer and seen the new screenshots...It looks pretty good. I was just too peeved at how "un-doom" it felt, but after having slept on it...

I'm in.

Into

Like the look, i just wish it was a tad faster and had more enemies. Perhaps mods, or perhaps a higher difficulty.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Most of the enemies shown so far look great, there's just a few that look a bit too hard to differentiate from one another from a distance.

Visceir

I wonder how hyped people would be for this if it didn't have the name Doom attached to it.

Game isn't really doing anything for me, the multiplayer could be fun tho.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I really would rather have the original design of the cacodemon rather than this gritty one. The original just looks cooler. I could imagine a far bloodier one being really spectacular with modern graphics

Doom_cacodemon_h2.jpg

Cacodemon design is my only real disappointment, it's such an iconic character, tbh I didn't even notice it first time round, hopefully some of the character designs are still open to being changed.

Jito

Banned
I wonder how hyped people would be for this if it didn't have the name Doom attached to it.

Game isn't really doing anything for me, the multiplayer could be fun tho.

Looks better than what modern shooters have become these days. Could be called anything, less hiding behind cover and aiming down a scope in shooters the better. Give me more strafing around, double jumping and chainsawing enemies to bits please.

Guy.brush

Cacodemon design is my only real disappointment, it's such an iconic character, tbh I didn't even notice it first time round, hopefully some of the character designs are still open to being changed.

The bright red color would have been a good choice to have it stand out more from the brownish, greenish-yellow environment art.

The bright red color would have been a good choice to have it stand out more from the brownish, greenish-yellow environment art.

Also the old one's mouth looks like a portal into some chaos dimension or something like that. The new one is just a mouth with nowhere for the "food" to go and no place the fireballs are supposedly coming from.

But maybe I'm just nitpicking now.

I hope the whole game is like that video. No exposition, no talking heads, just action. I love it.

Also the level editor sounds great. I hope it's not too much harder to use than the Timesplitters level editors. I spent hundreds of hours building levels and playing them with my friends.

msv

Yeah. The enemies blending in with the environment is a disappointment to me, for fast paced action you need to be able to see and recognize your enemies in a flash.

I'm interested. Is it confirmed that the game will be broken into levels with key cards, secrets, monster closets, etc. like the OG Dooms? If so, I'm really interested.

Mato

People have a different opinion about what they want from Doom.

This new Doom is too realistic (yes that can be an issue). Here the level of detail, colors and lighting are only used as a means to enhance the atmosphere of the game. Instead they should be used as means to enhance both the atmosphere and the gameplay. In the frantic action it becomes difficult to pick up cues and points of interest because there is no regard to what should be highlighted and what shouldn't. It's like driving on a road where the signs and traffic lights are lost in background noise. Nothing stands out as an important gameplay element while rushing to get away from demons. Look at Mirror's Edge as example that does this right.

In all honestly nothing here seems like a major improvement to the original Doom formula. It's mostly just grittier and more realistic. If they removed the door sound and called this Clusterfuck XL you couldn't tell it's Doom. Brutal Doom looks more fun.

I'm getting accustomed to the idea that Bethesda games might not be my thing. They are careless, shoddy and generic. But there seems to be a large market for that so what can I say.

Doom 3 hell looked much better. Hope the game is dark, disturbing and intimidating and doesn't just have ultra violence and gore going on.

I'm not a Doom fan but this seems to be a better 3D polygon adaptation than Doom 3 was.
It's probably still too slow with too few ennemies.

Are you saying Doom 3 had not enough enemies?

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
Tiago Sousa just linked the entire presentation in 1080p 60fps

linky

At the end where you rip off the dude's leg and curb stomb his head with his own foot. I can't say goddamn enough times. That is just so brutal and delicious.

Like, holy shit. A twisted mind thought of that and I love it.

T.O.P

Banned
At the end where you rip off the dude's leg and curb stomb his head with his own foot. I can't say goddamn enough times. That is just so brutal and delicious.

Like, holy shit. A twisted mind thought of that and I love it.

We need a .gif of that, badly

Top Bottom