• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

Jito

Banned
Shoddy and generic Hahahaha!

MtZ9N.gif

biteren

after watching the 1080p 60FPS conference, i noticed how fast you move, dude! this is fuckin fast! but i believe you gotta see MP BETA footage to really feel it.

This looks pretty rough. Love the design of the semi-sci-fi shotgun though.

image_doom-28567-3000_0001.jpg

Honestly, what bugs me about the graphics is the brown post pro. Everything is brown again. I'd have gone for stronger, crazier colors - the Cacodemon should be RED and IN YOUR FACE.

I don't get why everything has to be color corrected to brown all the time - Doom with crazier colors would've at least looked very different than all the other FPS games on the market.

DOWN

Banned
Blim with the quickness.

It really looks like a mixed bag when it comes to art.

image_doom-28567-3000_0003.jpg

The ravenant looks sick as shit and the new cacodemon sure is an interesting take on the classic, but that Baron of Hell/Cyberdemon is kind of... uh. The original design was timeless, there was no need to change it that much. Same with the Mancubus.
Am I the only one who thinks this is pretty flat aesthetically? It's just kind of muddy. No charisma or power in their trudge through hell.

biteren

Now this looks closer to the speed i want. Hope its not just an edited trailer.
Honestly the game looks great. The only thing i can complain about is that the first trailer felt a bit too slow.

And im not looking for sonic speed or anything. Just a tiny bit faster.

once we actually play i believe we gonna be flying all over these maps, we just watching presentation gameplay.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The Hell level gameplay looked like pure Doom gameplay.
Alsu kudos to Bethesda for not showing a dialogue ridden cutscene.. hopefully there isnt any on the game.

Also: DAT MAP EDITOR

msv

Hmm, another thing I noticed at the hell part was that demons seem to come in waves. They're not all there at the beginning. That sucks IMO, should just all be there including the cyberdemon. Now that would be scary! That's what I think they understood wrong in Doom 3. Doom I and II are very scary on a gameplay level. It's scary because the enemies can kill you and they're everywhere, not because they look frightening, jump out of corners, or are hard to see.

Oh and I just noticed the spectre! Looked cool.

edit: Hmm, not sure about the atmospheric part actually. I think the levels themselves in the original dooms really induce a certain type of panic/paranoia, where you have to fight these enemies. But I don't think it would work with enemies like in D3 and D4 here where they move too fast. You don't really have a chance to have multiple enemies walking towards you, because they in front of your nose in seconds, kind of messing with the dread factor, going overboard.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Compared to Doom 1 and 2 it sure didn't.
I keep seeing this paraded around but the id made Doom and Doom 2 levels weren't really filled with monsters. In fact, the maps that WERE loaded with enemies tended to be the less interesting one (such as the awful city maps in the middle of Doom 2).

There were limits back in the day too. If you allowed enemies to keep spawning in Icon of Sin, for instance, you could crash the game due to lack of ram. I know I ran into that issue.

I think a medium number of enemies at a time works best. Enough that you still have to prioritize but not so many that you're being overrun. The idea that Doom maps are loaded with enemies EVERYWHERE all the time seems silly to me since it wasn't REALLY like that most of the time.

Of course, I also see that what people like about classic Doom varies heavily. Look at the WAD scene out there - recommendations are all over the place and what one group might love won't appeal to someone else.

It seems that, at this point, the variety of opinions on what people want from Doom varies too much and there are always going to be those who are disappointed.

Xater

I was super into this reveal and I am now so hyped for this game. I think it looked great especially is you consider it running at 60fps. The melee stuff reminded me of Brutal Doom. It's almost if they took that mod and made it a modern game.

Nose Master

Didn't feel good at all. Didn't have a hook. Was said in the GB thread, but they made the video game people play in movies. That's how generic it looked. It felt more like a tech demo for a new engine than an actually new product.

I don't know, I'm freaking excited for this.

-Health/armor bars = check.
-Demons = check.
-Hell = check.
-Gratuitous amounts of gore = check.
-Techno/metal music = check.
-Some of the guns we've come to love = check.

Sounds like a doom game to me.

KORNdoggy

the new cacodemon almost looks like a combo of the old cacodemon and a pain elemental (lost souls spewer) i'd prefer the caco to be brighter tbh.

in fact. it has arms...are we sure they're not pain elementals?

ChaosXVI

I think the game is looking great overall, though I'm very much expecting the final game to not look nearly as good.

But I hate the look for hell. Doom 3 really nailed that, if nothing else. It needs to be more red.

I keep seeing this paraded around but the id made Doom and Doom 2 levels weren't really filled with monsters. In fact, the maps that WERE loaded with enemies tended to be the less interesting one (such as the awful city maps in the middle of Doom 2).

There were limits back in the day too. If you allowed enemies to keep spawning in Icon of Sin, for instance, you could crash the game due to lack of ram. I know I ran into that issue.

I think a medium number of enemies at a time works best. Enough that you still have to prioritize but not so many that you're being overrun. The idea that Doom maps are loaded with enemies EVERYWHERE all the time seems silly to me since it wasn't REALLY like that most of the time.

Of course, I also see that what people like about classic Doom varies heavily. Look at the WAD scene out there - recommendations are all over the place and what one group might love won't appeal to someone else.

It seems that, at this point, the variety of opinions on what people want from Doom varies too much and there are always going to be those who are disappointed.
The way people talk about doom is extremely bent through the lens of time. Doom was scary as shit, and you were a weak puny marine who had to somehow manage low health and ammo through the entire game. Although you could run at a break neck speed, the fear of death and the general scary atmosphere made me (oh so long ago) plod through the game more than run at the speed of a small sedan. Only as years went by, the wad scene grew, speed running became a thing through demo sharing, and people came to not be afraid while playing the game, did the idea of it being ultra fast come around (and it is ultra fast).

In terms of gameplay loop, my favorite doom is actually doom 64 in a lot of ways. It had less enemies on screen than most dooms, but was completely in your face all the time (the combat engage distance is very low throughout the entire game). Now only if it had shotgun reload animations and the extended d2 beatiary. Then it would probably be my favorite.
I guess it will be yet another id tech game that will run like garbage on AMD.

Well you know who is to blame for that :/

THis will probalby be on VUlkan as well, which bodes well for it running well on AMD hardware since the IHV is no longer in control of the open gl implementation (which is terrible on AMD).

angelic

Banned
Well, the combat did remind me of Serious Sam 3.

i might get slaughtered for this, but the serious sam games are how to do this type of thing, way more interesting than this type of doom. SS3 starts slowly but by the end you are fighting literally 50+ enemies at a time, mowing down crowds with huge weapons. this version of doom is exactly like doom3, killing boring generic imps 3 at a time.

Fury451

Banned
Honestly, what bugs me about the graphics is the brown post pro. Everything is brown again. I'd have gone for stronger, crazier colors - the Cacodemon should be RED and IN YOUR FACE.

I don't get why everything has to be color corrected to brown all the time - Doom with crazier colors would've at least looked very different than all the other FPS games on the market.

Agreed. While it's visually very nice, the graphics are wasted when you can't really tell what anything is distinctly.

AMC124c41

This man knows what he's talking about.

Demo needed someone who knows how to play FPS with a mouse and knows what a sprint key is. Looked super slow and boring which is not what you want from a Doom game, not at all.

I'm a bit squeamish, and not into shooters, but the map editor looks sweet, and I hope other games I'd actually play start incorporating similar level crafting mechanisms.

dark10x

i might get slaughtered for this, but the serious sam games are how to do this type of thing, way more interesting than this type of doom. SS3 starts slowly but by the end you are fighting literally 50+ enemies at a time, mowing down crowds with huge weapons. this version of doom is exactly like doom3, killing boring generic imps 3 at a time.
Serious Sam is NOT Doom!

If you want Serious Sam, play Serious Sam but keep that shit out of Doom. Doom was never about this!! It's not just a series of rooms filled with 50 monsters.

The way people talk about doom is extremely bent through the lens of time. Doom was scary as shit, and you were a weak puny marine who had to somehow manage low health and ammo through the entire game. Although you could run at a break neck speed, the fear of death and the general scary atmosphere made me (oh so long ago) plod through the game more than run at the speed of a small sedan. Only as years went by, the wad scene grew, speed running became a thing through demo sharing, and people came to not be afraid while playing the game, did the idea of it being ultra fast come around (and it is ultra fast).

In terms of gameplay loop, my favorite doom is actually doom 64 in a lot of ways. It had less enemies on screen than most dooms, but was completely in your face all the time (the combat engage distance is very low throughout the entire game). Now only if it had shotgun reload animations and the extended d2 beatiary. Then it would probably be my favorite.
Agreed 100%. Doom has become a victim of time. Doom of today is not Doom of 1993. People have modified Doom so heavily and play it in such a customized fashion.

Hell, when I first played Doom, I used the keyboard. The mouse/keyboard thing was just getting started and did REALLY work well until Quake. I'd wager most people that played Doom back in the day didn't play it like they might today.

You couldn't even PULL OFF rooms of 50 monsters back then without destroying performance or running out of memory!!

codhand

I don't know, I'm freaking excited for this.

-Health/armor bars = check.
-Demons = check.
-Hell = check.
-Gratuitous amounts of gore = check.
-Techno/metal music = check.
-Some of the guns we've come to love = check.

Sounds like a doom game to me.

shooting a mancubus that popped out of a monster closet with a rocket launcher, yeah this isnt doom at all

Lux R7

ahahahtell.jpg

(i agree)

The more i see the more I like. I only hope the movement speed can be sped up like the gameplay trailer shows, and the melee finishers isn't so necessary that you have to pull it off a ton

Jito

Banned

Doom has never been about mowing down 50 enemies at a time though, maybe in Brutal Doom but that's a mod. I've heard they're making SS4 though so no need to fret.

Also there's more than 3 imps on screen at a time, cut the hyperbole. Ah and genetic pops up again, I should start a tally.

Serious Sam is NOT Doom!

If you want Serious Sam, play Serious Sam but keep that shit out of Doom. Doom was never about this!! It's not just a series of rooms filled with 50 monsters.

Agreed 100%. Doom has become a victim of time. Doom of today is not Doom of 1993. People have modified Doom so heavily and play it in such a customized fashion.

Hell, when I first played Doom, I used the keyboard. The mouse/keyboard thing was just getting started and did REALLY work well until Quake. I'd wager most people that played Doom back in the day didn't play it like they might today.

You couldn't even PULL OFF rooms of 50 monsters back then without destroying performance or running out of memory!!

Now, let's not exaggerate. There was places on vanilla Doom 2 where there were, in fact, 50 enemies. And I played it with 4mb of ram.

That said, those were the exceptions, not the rule. Super high action moments like those weren't that common. People tend to misremember the quantity of enemies in Doom. It wasn't Serious Sam or Painkiller.

msv

Yeah I think you're right, I stand corrected. It's tough to pinpoint what exactly seems different negatively about the preview.

- Didn't see any puzzles / back and forth opening doors.
- This also doesn't seem possible with the current enemy types, they can climb and jump everywhere, so you can't really have strategically placed stationary enemies.
- Some enemies seem too fast / mobile. I guess it's compensated by mouselook, but they still seem a bit too fast to me.
- No claustrophobic feeling in the maps
- Maps do not look like a base affected by hell in a psychedelic way, I really want to play levels that make no structural sense and are just freaky in a way.
- The colors are not distinct, enemies are not readily noticeable. Doom was much more colorful and in broad daylight. This added to the freakishness in my opinion. And personally I love twitch/fast paced shooting, which is annoying when the enemies blend in with the background.

Probably yeah. Good post.

dark10x

Demo needed someone who knows how to play FPS with a mouse and knows what a sprint key is. Looked super slow and boring which is not what you want from a Doom game, not at all.
I don't really think mouse movement works too well when trying to showcase a game like this. It's much too twitchy looking for the viewer and exacerbates compression artefacts. For a presentation that will be streamed all over the net, careful attention to camera panning is a must if you want to show off the world.

Now, let's not exaggerate. There was places on vanilla Doom 2 where there were, in fact, 50 enemies. And I played it with 4mb of ram.
Which map? Seriously. Icon of Sin is the only one I can think of where you can get anywhere near that number on screen at once and it DEFINITELY crashes when playing with 4mb of ram. Heck, you had to boot Doom from a dos prompt with minimal drivers loaded on 4mb else the game wouldn't run at all.

On higher difficulties, you could get upwards of 20-30 enemies at a time in spots but it wasn't really THAT common and it DID have an impact on performance. Lots of hard disk paging and slowdown on a 486dx2/66 + 4mb ram. A lot better with 20mb.

I don't think the game was at its best during the moments when you're surrounded by that many enemies, though. It just gets overly chaotic after a point especially when there are loads of hitscan enemies around.

angelic

Banned
Doom has never been about mowing down 50 enemies at a time though, maybe in Brutal Doom but that's a mod. I've heard they're making SS4 though so no need to fret.

brutal doom is a mod that plays the original WADs, of course its about mowing down hundreds of enemies.

Top Bottom