• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Thought it looked like a lot of fun but there was just something incredibly fake about the first part at least. Like it was so scripted and slowed down that it didn't actually represent how fast the game would actually play. The multiplayer video seemed more 'genuine' if that made sense. Well that and the Hell part.

peakish

Eh, for a first showing it's decent. Can't tell much of how the game plays on an actual non-showcase level though. If the map editor is cool and easy to use that's a cool thing though and has me more excited than those videos.

Decado

Wtf. I thought ppl were raving about it after its first showing and it is suppose to be a throwback to tr original?

Thank goodness for Brutal Doom.

Kssio_Aug

Ive just watched 1 min, but it looks dope! I loved it!! The blood splashes and the dismemberment are really well made! Unfortunately it certainly wont look near this good for consoles I believe! :(

Eh. It's okay, but the presenter lied about movement being fast, because that ain't fast, just a teensy bit agile. Fast running speed is what matters to old-school DOOM players, just as much as having more platforming can appeal to new-school players. IDK if they were using a pad for the demo, but everything looked too smooth and calculated, and that shows in how relatively few enemies showed up on-screen. Detail won't matter for the mooks, just make their animations readable (I do like how at least half of them are hitscanners, if not more) and don't waste processing on things which prevent larger groups of enemies. Can't recall seeing any infighting—red flag, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Hell looks cool in a dusty underworld way, but I hope it's not all arenas...same goes for the UAC maps being that linear, which is lame and hopefully just id/Bethesda not knowing what to demo.

Still, eh. Also, SnapMap's pretty lame, but what did you expect from a simplified Doom Builder/SLADE mash-up? I'd prefer external tools for getting more flex out of the game. This and the above have little bit less than a year to cook, so I'm not passing judgment yet.

Overside

Banned
They ain't called audio games.

I like cinematic flourishes personally. I'd bet that if you don't want to see finishers you don't have to. Just keep filling your target with bullets until it pops.

I like games, with cool lookilng flourishes too, except I like actually doing them. This was a thing, once upon a time, they called it gameplay.

Now, its like I'm on a theme park ride, hands and arms inside at all times, with a fashy and faux presentation, depicting the things I used to actually do, while I sit, strapped in my seat, on my little cart, firmly fastened to the rails and am expected to ooh and ahh.

Somnid

I like the throwbacks and the more kinetic gameplay but I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough at the people cheering at executions. Ultra-violence was cute when you were the only one doing it, in 2015 it's like par the course and we've long since jumped the shark with using an enemy's arm to scoop out their brain and shove it up their ass kind of kill scenes. It's just unnecessary.

Coxswain

Well, you can move and shoot at the same time, and the enemies have 'slow projectiles' so there's some actual gameplay in there; you can dodge enemy attacks in a way besides "get behind a rock" and you can attack while you're doing it. And the enemies aren't made of tissue paper, so you can actually have a two-way fight. So that's all good.

Movement speed and stuff looked... Okay. It was definitely closer to Halo than to Serious Sam, let alone Doom 1/2. That's not great, but it's not horrible, and the traversal stuff seemed alright (I think I saw a double jump?).

The only problem I really had with it was that the enemy count seemed really, really low, both in the futuristic part of the demo and the 'Hell' section. If the enemy count had just been bumped up like 2-4x, I think I might have ended up properly excited about this one.

SmokyDave

The first single player video was so boring-looking that I'm guessing it soured many people's expectations.
Man I often think I'm getting old and cynical, but then I read a thread for a games conference and I realise I'm still full of youthful exuberance and joy. I can't fathom watching that first demo and thinking 'boring'.

Still, to each his own.

I like games, with cool lookilng flourishes too, except I like actually doing them. This was a thing, once upon a time, they called it gameplay.

Now, its like I'm on a theme park ride, hands and arms inside at all times, with a fashy and faux presentation, depicting the things I used to actually do, while I sit, strapped in my seat, on my little cart, firmly fastened to the rails and am expected to ooh and ahh.
Sounds like it's time for you to move on chap. Happened to me with Formula One. It changed and left me behind. You'll find something new.

From a MachineGames Wolfenstein perspective, Nu DOOM actually looks really cool, but it's not going to replace the old stuff even if some of my complaints get dealt with.

Tain

I frequently see throws in fighting games that last longer than most of these kills. And they may even take after Serious Sam 3 and make the player vulnerable during them, causing for some interesting risks here and there.

I thought the single-player gameplay demo looked awesome. I'm more excited for this than I've been for any other FPS in recent memory.

Looks pretty good to me. Pretty open levels, lots of verticality and mobility, projectile enemies instead of hitscan, awesome atmosphere, polished as hell. It's not old DOOM, but that doesn't mean it won't be good.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I will give them credit for doing a fantastic looking shotgun in even the demo compared to that shitpile of a double barrel in the new Wolfenstein games.

Rezae

Made it a few minutes in... not ruling the game out based off a few minutes but it sure didn't seem very "Doom" to me. Would love to see it be much more fast and open, but that's wishful thinking after all these years...

inm8num2

I liked it at first, but as the demo went on I found myself less excited. Auto kills with the chainsaw, too many finishing move animations, not enough enemies attacking at once, etc.

Those animations interrupt what should be fast, frenetic, chaotic gameplay. Looks like a step up from Doom 3 and overall a fun game, but bearing that name brings hefty expectations.

JB1981

Looks incredible visually but going to go ahead and say nope that's not a gameplay video. The player movement is scripted. Seems like more of a proof of concept video than anything else.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think it looks and sounds great, but yeah they need to speed it up. Doom should be hectic. The Doom 3 pace of trying to creep you out is SO DONE from so many other shooters. Doom can be creepy if you think about it but you should be overwhelmed with shit to handle so you're not really thinking about it.

It looked way better than I expected with my low expectations. Graphics seemed nice, shooting seemed fine, adding double jump and parkour elements makes sense in making traversal smoother.

Buuuut...

-The levels looked weak.
-The guns didn't look like they had quite enough impact
-I really did not like those kill animations. They got super fast, and they slow down the game too much, especially when they were acting like they were pimping some super fast game.
-The bestiary did not look visually distinct enough in terms of color and silhouette.

I will say the map editor looks incredibly cool and if you can adjust the gameplay parameters (movement speed, jump height, etc...) in your custom maps I'll be very pleased.

Really hope the color palette is improved upon in the final game. I want the bizarre, alien hell of the original game back.

Instro

Looks great too me. It's not as fast as Doom 1&2, but it definitely feels pretty open and unrestricted.

The enemies, and feedback seem a bit half baked at the moment though. Perhaps it was the nature of the demo, it felt very scripted. Definitely needs some work, but I like what I see so far.

Fury451

Banned
Provide reasons. Because this looks just as good of a romp as the Wolfenstein reboot which is praised.

Reasons are being provided: you're ignoring them because you disagree with them and they therefore hold no merit to you, and nothing said will convince you otherwise.

It doesn't look as good as Wolfenstein; as of now Wolfenstein: TNO looked more like Doom in speed and frenetic enemy action than this does. Even after viewing the (slightly) better Hell video. It's still not quite where it should be.

But that's my opinion.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
BTW, when I posted my first post, the second video wasn't up yet. The second video is definitely better. Give it time. Maybe I'll have a machine that can run it by then.

RiverKwai

The second video is much better than the first one. Still not really enthused with the parkour and melee takedowns. And the chainsaw is too slow.

Doesn't look BAD, so nobody should confuse me for saying it looks like shit. It just doesn't look like the DOOM game I wanted. Which is fine. :)

That looked really boring and terrible. Yawn. This might have been cool in 2000...but it's 2015. Times have changed, and this game looks dated.

Doom 3 was more interesting than this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Reasons are being provided: you're ignoring them because you disagree with them and they therefore hold no merit to you, and nothing said will convince you otherwise.

It doesn't look as good as Wolfenstein; as of now Wolfenstein: TNO looked more like Doom in speed and frenetic enemy action than this does.

But that's my opinion.

I am not ignoring. Forums are not black and white.

I am talking about the drive by posts of "yawn". "doesn't look good", etc.

I see things as well that others have mentioned that I agree with that can yes adjusting.

But people saying the graphics are not good, and their one liners, come on bruh!

Top Bottom