• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

Sianos

game needs some more
haste.gif

but considering how terrible the aim was and the console controls i assume the true game will actually be about running fast

Lemon King

Neo Member
You mean the virtual non existent AI?

AI was pretty simplistic in Doom, just remember this was long before Behavior Trees were developed.
Such as a Zombie: See Player -> Shoot if in LOS, set timer, move towards player, if wall, determine facing and move once again.

game needs some more
haste.gif

but considering how terrible the aim was and the console controls i assume the true game will actually be about running fast
ID was using a TON of smoothing to make mouse/controller movement look good for the demo.

JimiNutz

Banned
They just showed a new trailer on the post conference show (trailer was not shown on stage).
Looked faster than the stage demo and looks like the enemy count picks up a bit in the other levels.

Remember we only saw easier/early levels in the stage demo and you know it's going to get way more hectic and chaotic later on.

CLEEK

Terrible weapon feedback. Never more than a few enemies on screen. Disappointed with the first showing.

Yeah, exactly. DOOM is all about punchy weapons and crown control. Not sniper rifles and viceregal attacks against a handful of enemies. So disappointing when sequels come out that ignore the core gameplay mechanics that made the originals so great.

Ionic

Looking forward to it.

Not a huge fan of the retuning Doom 3 enemy design for the hell knights, though.

The Hell Knight is actually my favorite enemy design from Doom 3. I'm happy to see them here too, but I wish they were a little more torn up or something. The thing that does bug me is that it looks like they're using the Doom 3 Cacodemons which I thought were very inferior to the original incarnation.

The thing that stood out for me the most as a turnoff was that every enemy dropped health and ammo. That ain't DOOM. That's borderline regenerating health.

Someone else noticed that! Thank you. This right here is what took the game from instabuy to probably not gonna get it.

charsace

This looks like a follow up to where Doom seemed to be going with Doom 2. Doom 2 single player was about getting up close and destroying. Fists, chainsaw, and shotgun is what the 2's single player was mostly about, at least for me.

Also not much of a level design showcase, which is king in Doom 1 and 2. Again, that kind of design doesn't make for the best demo, but we didn't get even a whiff of a key.

Man I hate being negative about it, because I was pysched.

Yet, this left me a bit empty.

I'll play it, for sure, but after all this waiting I expected to have my socks blown off.

I'm still wearing socks.

Kacho

Overall I was disappointed. I was expecting actual classic DOOM and not some weird classic/cinematic hybrid. The Hell section looked better but I'm definitely not sold on it. I also thought the way enemies died and exploded looked off, can't quite put my finger on it.

IronLich

Weapon Wheel is mandatory for consoles, but at least it means you carry ALL the weapons like you should. Wolfenstein TNO had that, and that was a great FPS.

Otherwise, I'm not feeling the fast action shooter of the DOOMs of old, which if you're not going to try to capture the old DOOMs, then don't give it the DOOM label. It's a spit in the face of Shores of Hell.

I wish the showing had more enemy variety. 80% of the enemies on display were imps or undead mutant soliders with stuff grafted to their arm. Maybe a peek at a revenant, but otherwise generic looking pus demons. I want something a little more... animated. Something, anything to distinguish one human looking hellspawn from another.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
After hearing those impressions from the behind closed doors stuff I thought this was gonna be better. This looks more like Doom 3-2 to me.

Toxi

Banned
They just revealed that there are more kinds of demons you can transform into in multiplayer than just the Revenant, which is nice.
Also not much of a level design showcase, which is king in Doom 1 and 2. Again, that kind of design doesn't make for the best demo, but we didn't get even a whiff of a key.
The level design in the hell area was kinda nice (Got different routes and layers), but the interior section was awful, even with the half-assed key.

Goddard

This is a real shame, it's a franchise with so much potential, so much history, and with people so heavily invested both emotionally and financially, but it's just a generic spunkgargleweewee. I wanted to believe.

nikos

Video compression is bad, but it's exactly what I'd expect from a next-gen version a of Doom, which is a good thing.

Top Bottom