• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Justinian

For anyone worried about levels being linear, don't worry. I'm on the 3rd level and there are keycards galore and plenty of circular and vertical level design. The feeling of exploring and unraveling a level are strong.

N-Forced

Neo Member
Can't speak for Brutal Doom but the original Doom was designed with keyboard controls in mind. Mouselook really screws with the difficulty.
Yea you are right, mouse aiming does make it easier but I figured the sheer amount of enemies/damage dealt would still put up a challenge.

This is a terrible showcase of this game, I could barely make it to the 5 min mark as the person playing acted like they had no clue the 2nd analogue stick even existed. Still pumped for midnight tho, got my game downloaded yesterday all 43 gigs of it now just got to wait for Steam to decrypt it all :D

I'm seeing there's Early Pre-Release reviews of Doom on steam and they're generally positive.

WwJ0C6I.jpg

Bl@de

For anyone worried about levels being linear, don't worry. I'm on the 3rd level and there are keycards galore and plenty of circular and vertical level design. The feeling of exploring and unraveling a level are strong.

Nice. Also, good Steam SP reviews

Have a strong feeling this game isn't going to be so hot, are there any full level videos out

Hoping its good but from the trailers the art style and other tidbits don't look so hot. I guess it could end up ok. I did like the last Duke Nukem a few years back

Have a strong feeling this game isn't going to be so hot, are there any full level videos out

Hoping its good but from the trailers the art style and other tidbits don't look so hot. I guess it could end up ok. I did like the last Duke Nukem a few years back
Try reading the thread.... There's a post about positive player impressions literally above yours :)

And it's definitely better than Duke Nukem forever...

Guys, if you have Doom on steam you might be able to use VPN to unlock the game early.

The same thing happened with Fallout 4 and I didn't get a VAC ban though I do reccommend doing this at your own risk.

pitchfork

Finally!

Got this preloaded and ready on Xbox One

Finish work tonight at midnight, so may skip sleep and jump straight in when I get home

Woorloog

Banned
Is Steam slow at decrypting or something? The time jumped from 15 minutes to 20...

Using VPN trial to play few hours early.

Is Steam slow at decrypting or something? The time jumped from 15 minutes to 20...

Using VPN trial to play few hours early.

Yeah I'm gonna do that as soon as I get home. Have stuff to do tomorrow morning so I rather just use the VPN trick like I did for Fallout 4.

I actually play quite a lot. None have held my attention for more than a couple days since maybe Black Ops 1. Everything felt right about this multiplayer.

We seem to be in the minority, but I enjoyed it as well.

People keep saying it's Halo-esque but I haven't played a Halo game since 2. Not that I'm saying it's a "true Arena shooter" or whatever people seem upset about it, but I enjoyed my time with it. I feel confident it will at the very least scratch any fps multiplayer itch I develop until OW comes out.

Besides, it's just a nice bonus, as I believe most people are in this for the campaign.

The Flash

Banned
Just got done watching a bunch of videos and went ahead pre-ordered it. The impressions that I've read hear have helped a lot as well. I'll admit that a big reason to get this game for me is the fact that Mick Gordon is doing the music. His music is one of the biggest reasons why I fell in love with Killer Instinct after all. The SnapMap feature is also a big draw too. I'm hoping that a lot of people will make good co-op maps.

Nightmare just feels like a numbers tweak. You get 1 health from the smallest medkits, and stuff does much more damage.

Also, unskippable cutscenes and no quicksaves so if you die before hitting a checkpoint that was after a cutscene, have fun watching that again.

S1kkZ

chapter 4(?) now and i love it. not a doom fan, had no hopes for this but my videostore got it today and i rented it (ps4 version).

its fucking awesome. its weird, because i pretty much hated all the trailers, but the gameplay is just fun. shooting demons just feels right, there are tons of secrets in every level, upgrade system is pretty nice and the gory kills are not as bad as i feared.

framerate after patch1.02 is mostly stable, no tearing.

FireRises

chapter 4(?) now and i love it. not a doom fan, had no hopes for this but my videostore got it today and i rented it (ps4 version).

its fucking awesome. its weird, because i pretty much hated all the trailers, but the gameplay is just fun. shooting demons just feels right, there are tons of secrets in every level, upgrade system is pretty nice and the gory kills are not as bad as i feared.

framerate after patch1.02 is mostly stable, no tearing.
any idea how many chapters there are?

I've got this game preloaded on Steam, and it says "play now" but when I click play it says the game isn't released yet. What is happening?

Man the SP is legit.

The ambience is fantastic, totally Doom.

The speed and ferocity of combat is second to none this gen.

Soundtrack, well you don't get soundtracks like this anymore, a pure nostalgic trip, but not surprised given the composer.

The levels are quite wide open, with a good amount of verticality and ways to tackle the demons.

All in all far better than the MP part of the game.

Looking forward to user coop maps!

Everything just feels right, no exposition bullshit in the story really. Welcome to hell.

Rizzi

Alright, so I'm going to preface this with the caveat that I am a massive Doom fan, and I think the game is pretty okay.

This game is not Doom. It's something completely different, and I can respect that.
Negatives:
The weapon so far feel very samey, and the enemies I've run in to kind of blend together. Melee executions aren't really optional at all unless you enjoy having no health and no ammo, and they slow shit down hardfor a game that's trying to sell itself as being super fast.
My two cents, your results may vary etc.

Spoo

Started this on the hardest difficulty -- I'm good at these kind of games and died in the first major fight like 2 times (from dumb mistakes, but still!).

Now like 2 or 3 levels in (on PC), and really enjoying it. Fast-paced, brutal, beautiful, and the level design is actually really solid (it's not just arena-to-arena, folks).

Finaj

If the game is actually good, then what's the point of the ridiculous review embargo? When does that end anyway?

Quick question, how much HDD space does the disk based PS4 version takes ?

53.08 GB after both patches for me.

If the game is actually good, then what's the point of the ridiculous review embargo? When does that end anyway?

Maybe they actually wanted reviewers to play multi + snapmap before reviewing. Can't really know for sure. What I do know is that the gameplay is sublime and I'm still hoping someone either rips the audio from steam and the OST goes upfor sale so I can buy it and gift it.

0racle

How is the audio? Wolfienstein level of incompetence with no bass and poor audio? Or dice level battlefront perfection?

Anung

Un Rama
Just found a really good Easter egg!

One downside of such open maps is I'm currently lost and have no idea where to go next. Been mollycoddled by games.

Nokterian

I prefer this

DOOM 1080p 60FPS Gameplay with Vulkan API on GeForce GTX

This gameplay is from a PC running Vulkan on a Titan X at 120 FOV - with the player's personal upgrades and rune perks set for advanced speed and movement capabilities. Enjoy the video and we can't wait to have YOU play this Friday.”

Me as a pc gamer wanted to see something like this for a whole year and we didn't got to see it earlier.

Drewfonse

Anyone playing on X1? Is there a patch available yet? How's the general performance and fun factor? I'm just wondering if the campaign will motivate me to replay it, or if it will be a one and done.

lazygecko

How is the audio? Wolfienstein level of incompetence with no bass and poor audio? Or dice level battlefront perfection?

You can tell from all the existing footage that it's a world apart from Dice levels. Lackluster feedback, questionable mixing decisions, and weird attentuation where it seems like any sound source that isn't right up in your face will be barely audible.

I'm seeing there's Early Pre-Release reviews of Doom on steam and they're generally positive.

WwJ0C6I.jpg

I'd be surprised if it wasn't. After all, these are from people who are more likely pre-ordered the game, so....

Something I just noticed - a shame the enemies bodies don't stay after being killed but I most games are like that these days. Loved it when Bloodborne didn't.

Anyway, starting to look like a possible purchase if it goes down in price with the expectation its a game I might enjoy, albeit, I'll be looking at it as if it isn't Doom.

If there was a patch that came out that made Glory Kills a collectible that ran out when you used it, I'd possibly buy it straight away.

Top Bottom