• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM: The Dark Ages Will Have More Enemies, Larger Arenas, and Slower Action

Traxtech

I hope with them saying slower, it more so means you won't be juggling 10 different things at once while running around shooting. The whole use fire for this, melee for that, chainsaw for this, grenade for that, swap to ice, yadda yadda was just too much on the highest difficulty. I felt like I was just spamming keys at points so I didn't die

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I haven't played any of these does 2016 have story or is it just a mindless shooter?
200.gif

yUZyOR.gif

gif4.gif

RIP AND TEAR!!!!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Slower doesn't mean slow like Doom 3. We've already seen the trailer, should give you a good idea.

I was hoping the action they showed was early game easy mode. If it is remarkably less difficult and noticeably slower paced than Eternal, they made a grave mistake. I don't mind if they try to keep it more grounded, but by the end of Dark Ages, I should be close to the speed and difficulty of Eternal.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was hoping the action they showed was early game easy mode. If it is remarkably less difficult and noticeably slower paced than Eternal, they made a grave mistake. I don't mind if they try to keep it more grounded, but by the end of Dark Ages, I should be close to the speed and difficulty of Eternal.
They have explicitly said it won't be.

Eternal was a polarizing game.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Can they just please make a new fucking Quake?

I mean, yeah, looks cool. But Doom isn't the only IP id have...
i agree . Last quake game i played was on 360 in the early 2000s. It was pretty good i think can't remember. it was quake 4.

They have so much great ip just sitting on their assess. Especially with Activision blizzard under ms.

Jsisto

Excited for this. I’m not as young as I used to be and I don’t have the same level of reflexes. Doom Eternal was fun, but it was just a bit too much for me. Way too focused on speed. This looks closer to a return to classic doom. Can’t wait!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Blood is one of the most difficult fps games ever, particularly on Extra Crispy (which should be reserved for co-op play only) and it doesn’t have any convoluted mechanics and isn’t anywhere near as fast as Eternal.

Blood is difficult due to the hit scan weaponry and the speed at which your health can go down. It is less due to fair design. When you round a corner and immediately go from 100 to 0 in less than a millisecond, that isn't "difficult", just unfair. Issue with a lot of the build engine games including Shadow Warrior and Ion Fury. It incentivizes memorization of where enemies are located and save-scumming, less on-the-fly strategic thinking mixed with skill.

Beechos

I'm torn. I think the shield would've been enough of a gameplay changer for this new doom. The fast paced action no standing still gameplay worked well. If they wanted to slow it up could've done that with Hexen or quake.

Apocryphon

Blood is difficult due to the hit scan weaponry and the speed at which your health can go down. It is less due to fair design. When you round a corner and immediately go from 100 to 0 in less than a millisecond, that isn't "difficult", just unfair. Issue with a lot of the build engine games including Shadow Warrior and Ion Fury. It incentivizes memorization of where enemies are located and save-scumming, less on-the-fly strategic thinking mixed with skill.
This is true, but there are lots of ways to introduce challenge. Requiring extremely fast reaction speed and weapons and systems management is what id used for Eternal, and The Dark Ages is obviously taking a different path, but I think its naive to assume that they haven’t developed a system that will provide a significant challenge at higher difficulty levels. Slower maybe, but I think they’re going the Ikaruga route where every hit is much more damaging and the volume of incoming fire is much higher than in previous entries.

We haven’t seen anywhere near enough to know exactly what the combat flow and health management implementation is in this game. I’m reserving my judgement until we see some extended mid-late game gameplay. It’s hard to believe that they have dialled back the difficulty so much that it won’t appeal to people who adore the challenge posed in Eternal rather than them just having reframed it through a new approach to combat.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is true, but there are lots of ways to introduce challenge. Requiring extremely fast reaction speed and weapons and systems management is what id used for Eternal, and The Dark Ages is obviously taking a different path, but I think its naive to assume that they haven’t developed a system that will provide a significant challenge at higher difficulty levels. Slower maybe, but I think they’re going the Ikaruga route where every hit is much more damaging and the volume of incoming fire is much higher than in previous entries.

We haven’t seen anywhere near enough to know exactly what the combat flow and health management implementation is in this game. I’m reserving my judgement until we see some extended mid-late game gameplay. It’s hard to believe that they have dialled back the difficulty so much that it won’t appeal to people who adore the challenge posed in Eternal rather than them just having reframed it through a new approach to combat.

It is Microsoft. I don't put it past them in enforcing some arbitrary change because of folks online.

It is only the first trailer, so hopefully they have a gameplay playthrough of a level or decently long section during QuakeCon.

The action necessarily has to slow down if they are serious about the shield and the parry use we saw in the trailer

This really is going to be Doom Souls LMAO

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
DOOM: The Dark Ages Will Have More Enemies, Larger Arenas, and Slower Action
Thank FUCK for that, and especially for slower action.

I liked Eternal and finished it on Nightmare (bought all DLCs but haven't played them yet) but fuckin' hell, it's not even close to what I wanted from 2016's sequel, not to mention stupid platforming sections.

After The Dark Ages though, they have to make modern Quake similar to the first two. I think we had enough DOOM games already and Quake needs to comeback as well.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Slower action? Should have made it a Quake game. I mean they were fast moving games, but it was more focused on battles with a few enemies on the screen at most and with higher HP than enemies in Doom 1 or 2. That kinda slowed things down. Still way faster than most modern FPS games. Still interested in this though. The fact that they are slowing down the action must mean massive changes to the gameplay. Which could be a good thing. I wouldn’t want a third game from id that plays exactly like their previous two. As much as I loved Doom 2016 and Eternal.

Apocryphon

Slower action? Should have made it a Quake game. I mean they were fast moving games, but it was more focused on battles with a few enemies on the screen at most and with higher HP than enemies in Doom 1 or 2. That kinda slowed things down. Still way faster than most modern FPS games. Still interested in this though. The fact that they are slowing down the action must mean massive changes to the gameplay. Which could be a good thing. I wouldn’t want a third game from id that plays exactly like their previous two. As much as I loved Doom 2016 and Eternal.
Yeah I think they know what they are doing. The game that follows The Dark Age will likely release ~8 years after TAG Part 2, and a return to 2016/Eternal style movement for a Quake reboot wouldn’t feel stale.

I don’t know what I want from a Quake game now though. I have always wanted a barebones game that follows the design of the original in terms of art direction and gameplay mechanics, without the additional fluff that was introduced in the newer Doom games like weapon upgrades, abilities with cooldowns, and resource management, but using new tech. If id was an independent studio, I’d hold out hope that they could put out something that raw, but they aren’t.

It can’t just be a Quake skinned Doom Eternal. Quake needs the movement speed and fluidity, and to be heavily physics based. The grenade launcher is key in Quake… probably the most important weapon to get right. If they were to try and ape the original game, low numbers of enemies that can take a lot of damage and deal a lot of damage would need to make up the core combat framework. I think there’s a viable path forward for the series there somewhere, but I also think it’s financially risky.

A souls or even rogue-like Quake could also work. Something like Returnal maybe, with Ranger trapped in a hostile Eldritch horror universe. Keep the puzzle/maze level design ethos with environmental hazards, platforming, and brutal combat encounters, and cap each dimension with a Cthulhu-esque boss. Bring the double jump and the dash from Eternal and lean heavily into rocket and wall jumping as necessary skills to access secret areas and secret levels. Doesn’t need an elaborate plot or any real exposition. Quake’s strength is in its mystery, isolation, and focus on oppressive atmosphere. Keep the story and lore to text entries like the original game. Doesn’t need a AAA budget or for them to commit the entire dev team to it.

Loved doom and my goty was doom eternal with it's expansions they come after like 4 5 years and a breath of fresh air from other games.
Doom eternal was literally cocaine on hard difficulty it's like a ryt based game once u get into the flow and u know what weapon works on which enemy it's like art.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I have faith in id despite the fact that what they showed in the trailer looks to be a step down from 2016 and Eternal in gameplay intensity. Music wasn't on par with Mick Gordon either. I'm guessing this will be more of 420 and chill DOOM experience.

All this talk of fast vs slow, I'm good either way, loved both DOOM 2016 and Eternal though I give an edge to the former overall (nothing to do with the game's speed) and if it's more like the OG DOOM that's cool too, it's a classic for a reason. I just hope they keep the gory, ott finishers, they look/feel so satisfying, rip and tear until it's done.

Last edited:

midnightAI

I dont know what it means yet and the trailer were just small slides over the environments and it felt very scripted/slow. I hope its not slow like that. I refuse to play anything less than Doom 2016. I dont care if its in a more open world. Doom Eternal had the perfect combat, cant believe they listened to the pussies.
With the larger arenas it will feel slower still I think, which is a shame, I like the frenetic pace of Eternal, although 2016 pace is perfectly fine, but slower than that and I dunno, would maybe then feel like any other fps, we'll have to wait and see

Last edited:

StueyDuck

This one just isn't singing to me like Eternal and 2016...

I guess cause we know what we are getting into now and there isn't much surprise, either way, I should be way more hyped than I am for this and I'm not sure why I'm not.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

I guess cause we know what we are getting into now and there isn't much surprise, either way, I should be way more hyped than I am for this and I'm not sure why I'm not.
We barely know anything about the game I think.

Could use a longer gameplay trailer in which we get to see how an enemy encounter plays out and how the level design is, well, designed.

StueyDuck

We barely know anything about the game I think.

Could use a longer gameplay trailer in which we get to see how an enemy encounter plays out and how the level design is, well, designed.
yeah i think part of it is presentation.

thinking back to 2016 and eternals reveals we got really meaty gameplay segments showing why the games were awesome, showing multiple locations and encounters then ending on a stinger like the Cyber demon or revenant.

i guess we'll get a good look at quakecon

Astral Dog

don't worry as we approach the release date hype will come

What looks interesting about this one is the medieval dark fantasy setting, the art and combat areas have been fully redesigned , brand new vehicles(a dragon!) and weapons,higher quality graphics , it will be a must play for any fan its the part three of the trilogy but its actually part one.

Top Bottom