• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM: The Dark Ages Will Have More Enemies, Larger Arenas, and Slower Action

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I got the Doom reboot on Switch for the gyro cheap but never tried it. I don't mind fast stuff if I have gyro. I was getting some solid times in Neon White on Switch and that's even faster than Doom.

I will probably try some of these eventually. Never played anything Wolfenstein either.
Imo the original is better, but really, you can't go wrong with any DOOM game.

Come to think of it, it's kind of a miracle that the franchise has gone for 30+ years without it being ruined in any way.

I understand, but in fairness to this game the enemies seemed just as aggressive, the main difference is that Doomguy changed from something like Assassin/DPS class to Tank class.

That’s why I’m assuming if you mod the runspeed and don’t use the shield you would get a similar experience to what you’re wanting.

Will see, and I understand they couldnt exactly make the same game again. They have to change the formula once in a while. Either way Im in.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
I read this article yesterday, not sure how I feel about slowing the game down, hopefully it will still deliver the adrenaline. Won’t really know until I get my hands on the game. But I thought Eternal was just about perfect, taking a step back from that game has me at least little concerned for how the moment to moment gameplay will feel.

Caio

Ok, Day Zero.

"those who only got into DOOM with the reboot – I think with they are going to feel like this is a reimagined combat system. But for long-time fans of the series, people who played the original DOOM, you’ll see it’s really a return to form."

Ohhh yeahhhh :D

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I wish every single game's dodge was like Returnal and/or Bloodborne. If you give me a button to dodge I want it to actually fucking dodge.

dark-souls-roll.gif

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This sounds awesome, so long as they don’t make the character movement slow (which, judging by the trailer, they haven’t).

Okay Hugo, now how about burying the hatchet with Mick Gordon so we can actually have a good soundtrack? That limpdick trailer song makes my black heart sad.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Who would be a good alternative to Mick?
I wish I had a good answer to that. I’ve got a friend in the industry who said that his buddy was in the running for OST work on this new DOOM, but they likely just went with David Levy and/or Andrew Hulshult. The trailer especially sounds like Levy.

Both of them are fine composers in their own right, but they utterly fail at capturing Mick’s style. I guess if I couldn’t have Mick Gordon, I’d say maybe someone like Trent Reznor?

I wish all parties would just stop being bitches to each other and agree to work together again. So stupid.

Nonehxc

Nice, for me Doom 2016 was just perfect in terms of gunplay, I wouldn't have minded that on Eternal we traded more speed for higher enemy difficulty and none of the weapon change, I just didn't like much having to change between several weapons/launchers to get ammo, shields, etc, I liked the new combat traversal but having to select this or that took me out of the Ballet of Destruction quite a bit.

If Dark Ages is Doom 2016 with Eternal traversal, ammo, shields and health strewn around and higher difficulty enemies I will be a happy Slayer. 😊

Yeah they seem to have made the maps more open with much larger hordes. Almost reminded me of space marine or something. Can't wait.

I understand, but in fairness to this game the enemies seemed just as aggressive, the main difference is that Doomguy changed from something like Assassin/DPS class to Tank class.

That’s why I’m assuming if you mod the runspeed and don’t use the shield you would get a similar experience to what you’re wanting.
Got a feeling you'd be screwed without the shield though.

SkylineRKR

Doom Eternal is fun but it feels very exhausting as well. I can get behind a slower paced Doom, where you strafe around bullets and just shoot the fuck out of everything. I don't mind some corridors with secrets though. And wtf is with that dragon riding.

SALMORE

sounds good to me ... i love both classic & modern Doom games and this one looks like a mix of both 😊

just imagine the horde mode 🤤🤤

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Doom Eternal is fun but it feels very exhausting as well. I can get behind a slower paced Doom, where you strafe around bullets and just shoot the fuck out of everything. I don't mind some corridors with secrets though. And wtf is with that dragon riding.
When the original DOOM is referred to as slow paced 😂… well, it shows how much DOOM Eternal was an FPS on speed.

Last edited:

simpatico

Shitty, but since we're in an unprecedented AAA drought, I'm still very hyped. I loved getting better at Eternal and learning the combos. By the end I felt like an F-16 of death. It really forced you to get gud in a very fair and measured way. Shame the social media mob killed it. Maybe it didn't translate to controller. I loved every second and it's one of the very very few games I cared about learning to play all the higher difficulties. It was very rewarding. Fucking dopamine machine.

Oh no. Slow brains won.
They really did

Last edited:
Everything about this game keeps getting better and better. A touch slower, more methodical gameplay sounds great. Going through Eternal, while fun, was exhausting after each play session. Bring on the GOAT.

CGNoire

Honestly from the trailer it seems about as fast as Doom 2016.

If I were to rank speed from fast to slow:

• Doom Eternal
  • Doom 2016
  • (this is where I think Doom Dark Ages lies)
  • Doom 2
  • Doom 64
  • Doom 1
  • Doom 3
I’m fine with most of them, but Doom 3’s speed was a bit too slow.
You forgot Brutal Doom which has faster movement speed than eternal.

CGNoire

I dont know what it means yet and the trailer were just small slides over the environments and it felt very scripted/slow. I hope its not slow like that. I refuse to play anything less than Doom 2016. I dont care if its in a more open world. Doom Eternal had the perfect combat, cant believe they listened to the pussies.
I felt the same way about GTAV's downgraded car physics.... welcome to the club.

Laptop1991

That's a plus for me, i didn't like Eternal's over the top deathmatch arena style, this news has sold me more on the new Doom.

SHA

Nice, for me Doom 2016 was just perfect in terms of gunplay, I wouldn't have minded that on Eternal we traded more speed for higher enemy difficulty and none of the weapon change, I just didn't like much having to change between several weapons/launchers to get ammo, shields, etc, I liked the new combat traversal but having to select this or that took me out of the Ballet of Destruction quite a bit.

If Dark Ages is Doom 2016 with Eternal traversal, ammo, shields and health strewn around and higher difficulty enemies I will be a happy Slayer. 😊
Yeah, can of ass whooping is different than being fearful.

SHA

Really glad they’re trying something different as you can’t really improve on the frantic gameplay of Eternal. I wonder if the level design will suffer though from being what looks like open areas with no verticality.
It's hard to explain, how to tell the difference between virticality and platforming in modern games? unless you haven't played the original Doom it's impossible to understand, especially Doom 2.

Top Bottom