• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Review Thread - The Fury Road of Shooters

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
What Doomguy did to the naysayers. (myself included)
CwGrCAU.gif

Spinifex

Game is legit incredible. The best FPS campaign I've played in a good long while.

I didn't rate Wolfenstein at all btw, the gunplay felt weak. Doom gets it so, so right.

Warxard

Banned
There's still some stuff that irks me about the level design but I am pleasantly surprised at how great this game is. It's something I can see myself replaying repeatedly. SnapMap is good too.

I'm a nobody and I think DOOM's a solid 8/10.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I also give the Shotgun a 10/10

I love that they don't fuck around and give you the shotgun right away. No "Oh, you have to play with just the pistol for 30 minutes..." BS. Just "Here is the pistol, it sucks. Here is the shotgun, you will use this till the end of the game"

I actually think they should have just called the game DOOM 4. Maybe after Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 people don't want to do that anymore but fuck if the game doesn't deserve the title.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I thought Wolfenstein and Fury Road were pretty average.

Guess Doom isn't for me ;__;

2RLbbYk.png

I actually think they should have just called the game DOOM 4. Maybe after Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 people don't want to do that anymore but fuck if the game doesn't deserve the title.

Simply DOOM is more fitting since this is more of a reboot than a sequel.

Vire

Would have been funnier if they called it Doom 3

Fantastapotamus

Also, I just love the Doom Marine. He just such a simple, dumb brute. It's so much fun. Best character of the year.

Just like Wolfenstein it doesn't feel like a full reboot. The story could fit right after the first Doom with very little trouble.

I'm pretty sure that's where the story is going.

T.O.P

Banned
I also give the Shotgun a 10/10

I love that they don't fuck around and give you the shotgun right away. No "Oh, you have to play with just the pistol for 30 minutes..." BS. Just "Here is the pistol, it sucks. Here is the shotgun, you will use this till the end of the game"

When the mc
destroys the screen as soon as he hears "i'm sure we can solve this problem together"
right at the start

i KNEW it was gonna be an amazing game

ZehDon

Gold Member
I think the woeful multiplayer is going to hurt it, because reviewers will need to rate the package as a whole. But, honestly, "The Fury Road of Shooters" is something I could get behind. Doom has absolutely no right being as amazing as it is, given everything surrounding it.

daedalius

I've finished the campaign on Ultra-Violence, and I give it a 12/10 for badassness

Multiplayer is fine, but not what I come to Doom for, and I'm not very good at it. Snap-map coop stuff has the potential to be amazing, with tower defense, horde mode, etc, already available to play!

What if I didn't like Fury Road?

I don't particularly like that comparison since Fury Road was a rather progressive film with some highly advanced and complex cinematography and feminist theory themes. Not that doom isn't progressive in some way, but it's actually making up for lost ground in its genre. The only part where the two meet is relative intensity but doom gives more breaks because that's part of its design.

Reviews are where I expect, but it's still GOTY so far even with its flaws.

Freeman76

I think the woeful multiplayer is going to hurt it, because reviewers will need to rate the package as a whole. But, honestly, "The Fury Road of Shooters" is something I could get behind. Doom has absolutely no right being as amazing as it is, given everything surrounding it.

Some people, myself included, think the MP is awesome, pure old skool fun. Woeful is OTT.

Such a cool little gif. I also enjoyed the death animation when dying in lava with the T2 reference. This game has really surprised me. Was expecting a turd and instead they delivered a fresh and exciting new experience. Well done id.

Between this and Wolfenstein also beating expectations, I think we can say that id is back.

Servbot24

Banned
I've never played Doom and have had no interest in it, but comparisons to Fury Road and Wolfenstein are compelling me to buy it.

Absolutely fucking amazing balls to the wall campaign. I just them to update snapmap with single player gun pick up characteristics and this will be my favorite fps in the last 15 years.

Fantastapotamus

Such a cool little gif. I also enjoyed the death animation when dying in lava with the T2 reference. This game has really surprised me. Was expecting a turd and instead they delivered a fresh and exciting new experience. Well done id.

Between this and Wolfenstein also beating expectations, I think we can say that id is back.

iD didn't make Wolfenstein though

Top Bottom