• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard Early Preview Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
pvvba1raht5d1.jpeg
vcba7gf2ps5d1.jpeg

screenshots-from-xbox-website-v0-c3ozkr6jat5d1.jpg
davherom.jpg

7cq5p1nwnt5d1.jpeg
you-know-what-i-am-now-davs-biggest-art-style-defender-v0-r23agrr14r5d1.jpg

Blogposts:

Last edited:
Well they've been working on this for 10 years and Bioware's entire future likely rests on it, so they better have something good here. Remains to be seen if they were able to beat their EA overlords (and DEI gods) and make something worthwhile.

splattered

Game looked good to me at the reveal, I laughed at everyone freaking out over "fortnite graphics" ... I will give it a shot. If it sucks it sucks but I'm not gonna be negative about it before we ever really even see the gameplay.

ungalo

It's rarely talked about but i feel Dragon Age and Mass Effect were destroyed as franchises because of people who played it for the romances.

This thing existed in DAO and Mass Effect 1 but it never felt like it was fetishized. It was just because it's an RPG and you can do what you want. But then interpersonal relationships became the main focus. And it even looks like people who grew up with those IPs then went to work for Bioware are really "into that".

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Origins remains a favorite and it was an honor to play it as a freshman in high school 2009, this game looks intriguing, are the darkspawn back? Morrigan?

MujkicHaris

??? Based off of what.
It has a clay-like shading model and mesh modeling design language that's reminiscent of Pixar movies and toy miniatures that are consumed by masses. Scenes look more like amusement parks, made out of props and not lived in. Too clean, no grittiness, dirt and decay. All these things are something every experienced RPG player notices. Some know how to express it, some don't. But we all feel this. The game looks like it's made for casual gamers.

Stafford

No information at all on combat? Will it be like DAI or will it do away with any TB stuff and is fully real-time? I recall a leaked clip a while ago and the combat was fully real-time. I also believe they wanted to go for like God of War esque combat?

It's rarely talked about but i feel Dragon Age and Mass Effect were destroyed as franchises because of people who played it for the romances.

This thing existed in DAO and Mass Effect 1 but it never felt like it was fetishized. It was just because it's an RPG and you can do what you want. But then interpersonal relationships became the main focus. And it even looks like people who grew up with those IPs then went to work for Bioware are really "into that".
This is my issue with BG3. I feel like all the hype is just because of the sex and nudity. The game is basically Divinity Original Sin with more cinematic dialogues. Take away all the fetishization, as you call it, and I don't think the game becomes a phenomenon. It's not like we've seen an explosion of interest in other CRPGs or anything.

Dazraell

Gold Member
No information at all on combat? Will it be like DAI or will it do away with any TB stuff and is fully real-time? I recall a leaked clip a while ago and the combat was fully real-time. I also believe they wanted to go for like God of War esque combat?

Looks like it will be real-time like God of War. GameInformer mentioned this on their cover story news:

We visited BioWare's Edmonton, Canada, office for an exclusive look at Dragon Age: The Veilguard, including a look at its character creator, its prologue and opening missions, and more. We also spoke to many of the game's leads about the name change, the series' shift to real-time action combat, the various companions (and the relationships you can forge with them), and The Veilguard's hub location. You can learn about the titular Veilguard, Solas' role in the game, and so much more in our 12-page cover story for Dragon Age: The Veilguard

Zheph

we will see it in 2 hours hopefully

It has a clay-like shading model and mesh modeling design language that's reminiscent of Pixar movies and toy miniatures that are consumed by masses. Scenes look more like amusement parks, made out of props and not lived in. Too clean, no grittiness, dirt and decay. All these things are something every experienced RPG player notices. Some know how to express it, some don't. But we all feel this. The game looks like it's made for casual gamers.
Yeah, you just described every Fantasy TV show that isn't GoT or HotD. Where everything is shiny and bright, nothing looks lived in, there's no grit. Clothes look like they just came out of the drycleaners. Everyone's skin is clean and shiny. It fucks me off.

Metnut

All this sounds solid. I’m willing to pretend that the trailer never happened if they show 20 minutes of good stuff today.

T4keD0wN

Ive never played 2, but wasnt Dragon Age was always real-time with pause though? I wouldnt worry at all about them switching to turn based given the franchises history and that leaked footage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom