• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragons Dogma 2 | Preview Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
Variosu medias and outlets are releasing the first previews for Dragon's Dogma 2.

These previews are spoiler free

Blogposts:

Last edited:
VGC interview with Capcom director Hideaki Itsuno and producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi:

It’s been over a decade since Dragon’s Dogma first released. What took so long for a sequel and was there a driving factor to getting Dragon’s Dogma 2 made?

Yoshiaki Hirabayashi:
First and foremost, if Itsuno-san doesn’t have time to be the director of the game, it can’t really get made. So having an opportunity to have him spend the time he needed on the game and being able to bring together the other resources needed, such as a large team to work on a game with this scope, just took some years for that all to really fit together. And then once it did, we got started.
Having played the preview build, it strikes us how much it feels like the first game. Given how the fantasy action RPG has evolved since then, were there elements from other games you wwre inspired by for this sequel?

Hideaki Itsuno:
I would actually say GTA 5. I kind of admired how they were able to create a world in which it really felt like the NPCs were going about their lives independently of the player. All kinds of interesting emergent behaviour could happen whenever you were exploring the city and all kinds of weird accidents felt like it would happen whether you were there or not. That feeling of a living world is something that I’ve definitely tried to achieve in Dragon’s Dogma 2.
Back to the pawns then, we noticed from different save states in the preview that there are pawns with the same name or vocation but different appearances. Are there set pawns in the full game or is it going to be unique or randomised?

Itsuno:
In the full game, it's not 'random', but it will be an intentional mixture of different pawns that you could meet. Some of them will be players you don't know but we're trying to mix it in so that you might for example meet some of your friends' pawns, or pawns you borrowed before will reappear and you'll feel like, 'oh, I know that guy' and then you can add him to your party again and see what else he's learned while he's been away from you.

Full interview here:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
WAIFU WAIFU WAIFU

dragons-dogma-2-ulrika-face.jpg

Svejk

TL;DW... do any of the preview vids mention anything regarding whether they still have the layered armor and clothing? Feels like no one thinks this is important, but it's such a massive factor, imo. No other game does this. Fashion's Dogma is so Trill, folks.

NT80

What's shown so far looks largely like a remake of the 1st game rather than a new one. A bit disappointing considering we're 2 gens on from that game. Would've liked to see some new enemies, more new classes and some really different looking environments. The use of the environment during combat looked good though and I expect there's a lot more to see further into the game not shown yet.

Svejk

I hope not every character has the same canned, unisex walk/run animation.. Please, Itsuno, show some character creation, posture and variety of gear aesthetics. I'm freaking out here.

YukiOnna

I just wanted more DD and that being expanded is more than enough, nothing crazy had to be done.

Reading through some of the interviews, Itsuno had that as the main idea, just enhance what DD originally had since there's no more technical issues due to hardware that he's voiced before: Increasing world size & density, more options of play, more versatility & personality in Pawns, etc.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I don't need previews to get hyped. Every time I see its name, I get excited. First one is the second-best 3rd person action RPG of all time, behind the Souls games. Can't wait for this one.

I was playing dragons dogma for the first time when this was announced. Already thought this looked like a remake and it's true. I hope at least they stopped the BS heart attack after running a few steps

SaintALia

So two things.

No Co-OP(four people or two and their main pawns) will always be a travesty with this game. It was one of the things people were always asking for a lot, but spilt milk so whatever.

Two...uhh...so it's like a single weapon per class? Is that an actual thing?

If so, sweet Jesus no....
The suckiest classes in DD1 were the ones who can't properly handle ground AND air enemies, and DD usually mixes up enemy types, and relying on pawns to sus out aerial enemies doesn't always work with the best results. The best classes were ones that had an option for both. Magick archer was godlike with that with both options plus magic, Magick Knight has that orb thingy for aerial, and Masterful Kill rendered you near untouchable with Assassin.

Having a single weapon is gonna suck pretty hard-and this is where co-op would shine, but alas. So here's hoping the pawn AI is improved or maybe the advanced classes make up for this, or there's a better way to deal with flying and ground via skills or items. Because that's the type of shit that made me abandon Fighter and Warrior completely after I got their respective bonuses. Each bow class had daggers too so how's that even gonna work. But maybe I'm missing something. I'll comb through the videos posted to make sure.
no melee lock on and no dodge roll..... if anyone is expecting that this game ll be huge for casuals like Elden Ring was, maybe is time to re-evaluate ur expectations.

This game is basicaly Dragons Dogma Remake
Dodge roll was locked to Vocations iirc, should be a dagger skill. Other classes had other sorts of evasive manuevres with iframes. Except with Mages/Sorcerers, you had levitate I think, but I can't really recall an instance it was useful. But I rarely actually used that class.

Yerd

I was playing dragons dogma for the first time when this was announced. Already thought this looked like a remake and it's true. I hope at least they stopped the BS heart attack after running a few steps
That is displayed in almost every single video of gameplay. Every single person playing the demo has overused their stamina. This game is designed around learning how to manage your stamina. Every action uses it. Climbing on monsters drains your stamina. Learn how to deal with it instead of spamming.

So two things.

No Co-OP(four people or two and their main pawns) will always be a travesty with this game. It was one of the things people were always asking for a lot, but spilt milk so whatever.

Two...uhh...so it's like a single weapon per class? Is that an actual thing?

If so, sweet Jesus no....
The suckiest classes in DD1 were the ones who can't properly handle ground AND air enemies, and DD usually mixes up enemy types, and relying on pawns to sus out aerial enemies doesn't always work with the best results. The best classes were ones that had an option for both. Magick archer was godlike with that with both options plus magic, Magick Knight has that orb thingy for aerial, and Masterful Kill rendered you near untouchable with Assassin.

Having a single weapon is gonna suck pretty hard-and this is where co-op would shine, but alas. So here's hoping the pawn AI is improved or maybe the advanced classes make up for this, or there's a better way to deal with flying and ground via skills or items. Because that's the type of shit that made me abandon Fighter and Warrior completely after I got their respective bonuses. Each bow class had daggers too so how's that even gonna work. But maybe I'm missing something. I'll comb through the videos posted to make sure.

Dodge roll was locked to Vocations iirc, should be a dagger skill. Other classes had other sorts of evasive manuevres with iframes. Except with Mages/Sorcerers, you had levitate I think, but I can't really recall an instance it was useful. But I rarely actually used that class.

The new archer doesn't have melee weapons. I'm assuming the thief doesn't have a bow.

Mage is one of the hardest classes to play in the game. All the spells take forever to cast and there's no good way to protect yourself. Yes, it really needs a good co-op mode for mage class to shine. Levitate wasn't for defense. It was just a floating jump basically. I think you could use it to navigate to some places other classes couldn't reach. Especially when you used the ice spell that formed a platform.

That is displayed in almost every single video of gameplay. Every single person playing the demo has overused their stamina. This game is designed around learning how to manage your stamina. Every action uses it
Sure, but when the game requires you to run to get from A to B you can admit it's a little annoying. I don't mind it for combat. It's tactical.

Yerd

Sure, but when the game requires you to run to get from A to B you can admit it's a little annoying. I don't mind it for combat. It's tactical.
Maybe, I don't remember that aspect of the game honestly. I'm sure it was annoying, but you eventually have methods to fast travel. I'm sure if it was a current game I'd be annoyed because all newer games have developed instant gratification movement options. I only have great memories of exploring the world in the game. Not the "I'm annoyed I'm out of stamina because all I do is sprint" memory.

This is your "I had to walk to school uphill, both ways" character building time.

Maybe, I don't remember that aspect of the game honestly. I'm sure it was annoying, but you eventually have methods to fast travel. I'm sure if it was a current game I'd be annoyed because all newer games have developed instant gratification movement options. I only have great memories of exploring the world in the game. Not the "I'm annoyed I'm out of stamina because all I do is sprint" memory.

This is your "I had to walk to school uphill, both ways" character building time.
Lol yeah, fair enough. It is a good game regardless, but that aspect does get me.

SABRE220

As someone who has a soft spot for dragons dogma, this feels fun but it also feels like the studio is seriously playing it safe with the budget allocated to the team. It feels like the studio is given the bare minimum to make the game, and production values and polish seriously suffered.

This is an amazing template that has the framework to be a legit massive hit but it looks janky, has production values of a aa ps4 game and even its artstyle is mediocre and fails to mask the technical failings that unlike elden ring. I will definitely buy it and play it but damn this could have been so much more.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What I really love about the sequel is how the game feels like a world made in the 80's. From the aesthetic to the way the races, classes, armor and monsters look.

The first game certainly felt... a little oldschool but they seem to have really doubled down on that this time.

SaintALia

That is displayed in almost every single video of gameplay. Every single person playing the demo has overused their stamina. This game is designed around learning how to manage your stamina. Every action uses it. Climbing on monsters drains your stamina. Learn how to deal with it instead of spamming.

The new archer doesn't have melee weapons. I'm assuming the thief doesn't have a bow.

Mage is one of the hardest classes to play in the game. All the spells take forever to cast and there's no good way to protect yourself. Yes, it really needs a good co-op mode for mage class to shine. Levitate wasn't for defense. It was just a floating jump basically. I think you could use it to navigate to some places other classes couldn't reach. Especially when you used the ice spell that formed a platform.
Ah right, I think that's what I used it for. To reach that one jail cell in BBI where all the gargoyles were.

Well, those videos didn't tell me much. The IGN video was the only one that provided decent gameplay information, which was odd, since the other video creators were droning on about how much of a fan they were of the first game but weren't getting into actual gameplay details. So thanks for nothing game journos, still early days so who knows how much they can actually say.

The common sentiment among them seems to be, 'more of the same, but I like what I see', which in game journalist terms isn't really that good. I'm guessing max metacritic will be 86, and it'll be getting a lot of 7's and 8's.

Hopefully the game has a lot hidden away that we haven't seen yet and the full reveal and gameplay innovations will blow our collective socks off.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Capcom doesn’t miss but I think this game is poised to be doo doo.

There’s nothing here that wows me. For the dozens of Dragons dogma fans they won’t care but this will likely be the end of this franchise lol.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Looks amazing, but where are the dragons?

Can I play this without playing the first game?
They didn't show all the big enemies.
In the first one there were beholders, wyverns, hydras, cockatrices, cursed/zombie dragons, golems and others.

And yes, you can play without playing the first one.
But you should really play the first one.

Last edited:

Svejk

People worrying about vocations and lack of weapons and moves... Brehs.. why would they dump all the vocations, moves, hybrids, etc all right now? Itsuno has mentioned several times when interviewing these journos (who ask excruciatingly cringe questions.. I'm embarrassed he has to answer them), that there many more vocations skills yet to discover. If you're worried about gameplay, you apparently aren't familiar with Itsuno's work...

However, what no one has still touched on, is the gear aesthetics. For the love of God, can anyone confirm that there is still layered clothing and armor? Gameplay is one thing, but Fashion's Dogma is a thing too.. and none of these videos or previews even blink at this massive factor. It's a big deal, because no other game (afaik) has done this.

I want to see some character creation stuff, but I'm confident they'll show that to us at a later time.

I'm just so excited that this got green lit.. The gaming world is about to get blitzed. Already the Elden Ring destroyer based on what little gameplay they've dripped us.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Wasn't worried at all about the game, but those previews are music to my ears. I'm quite glad they realize that "No, we don't need to fundamentally change the core gameplay of Dragon's Dogma" and are just going - seemingly - the Monster Hunter World route with this one where they bring the full bear of technology down on a pretty much done nowhere else style game.

I'm also totally fine with this being little more than an iteration over the concepts in DD1, which, while an incredible game, did feel held back a bit on the hardware. Just give us the content density (but more) of the first game, perhaps an endgame a la MHW that keeps players in the world if they like the gameplay (Bristlebark Isle 2.0 is perfectly fine here), a refined UX experience, deeper crafting (which was already pretty involved) - how could it lose?

. . .oh and a terrible theme song.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
He fucked up not making it co-op. Gonna suffer the same fate as the first game.
Co-op wouldn't improve the game. It would get in the way of the Pawn system.

What makes DD really unique is being able to share your pawn with other players.
It's really fun to eagerly wait for another player to hire your pawn and give you feeeback about them.
Kinda like commenting on a message board and having someone quote you and share their opinion with you.

It's a nice social experience, and doesn't require full time commitment for it to work.

Mister Wolf

Co-op wouldn't improve the game. It would get in the way of the Pawn system.

What makes DD really unique is being able to share your pawn with other players.
It's really fun to eagerly wait for another player to hire your pawn and give you feeeback about them.
Kinda like commenting on a message board and having someone quote you and share their opinion with you.

It's a nice social experience, and doesn't require full time commitment for it to work.

You can explain it Slime. Watch when you see the sales. The average consumer doesn't care. Just like last time.

Lokaum D+

Dragons
Capcom doesn’t miss but I think this game is poised to be doo doo.

There’s nothing here that wows me. For the dozens of Dragons dogma fans they won’t care but this will likely be the end of this franchise lol.
Dragons Dogma was nevwr a popular franchise, it is more like a "cult classic".

Dragons Dogma 2 is basically a remake, if Capcom is expecting this to be big they ll get a reality check pretty fast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom