• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Didn't realize this game doesn't have PSTV support. Fortunately, with discounts and credits, I got the PS4 version from Amazon for $24. Maybe it's time to finally see about Henkaku on my second un-updated PSTV.

SkyOdin

Hmm, that shouldn't be a problem though. I made rooms before being asked as well and I just remade them again when asked. 5000 points yo!!
The issue with the workshop is that adding a forge turns it into a completely different kind of room. The quest is looking for a specific room type to be present, so you need to be careful. The safe thing to do is to check what your is called, and double check what the recipe for that room is. If it doesn't match up with the request, you might need to remove something.

Unknown?

Didn't realize this game doesn't have PSTV support. Fortunately, with discounts and credits, I got the PS4 version from Amazon for $24. Maybe it's time to finally see about Henkaku on my second un-updated PSTV.

I thought all games have to have PSTV support? Probably trying to get people to double dip but since there's no cross save it won't work very well.

Nags

Banned
The issue with the workshop is that adding a forge turns it into a completely different kind of room. The quest is looking for a specific room type to be present, so you need to be careful. The safe thing to do is to check what your is called, and double check what the recipe for that room is. If it doesn't match up with the request, you might need to remove something.

Yeah, this.

Aeana

I'm much more into this than I was with the Japanese version. I think I was just not in a good mindset back then.

Nags

Banned
These horny rabbits in the area from the red portal are messing me up.
First one I ran into knocked me into the water with it's charge attack. Next one I fought, I dodged and it slammed into a wall and it got stuck! Dodged another one after and it charged right into the water and died, haha.

Now I'm running around with a train of scorpions, rabbits and slimes on my ass. This game is pretty great.

Faustek

Forgot to say it but nice OP Para.

You people thought we lied in the import OT? The game is great but I'm wondering about those screenshots, PS4 version really that good looking?

Lyte Edge

I thought all games have to have PSTV support? Probably trying to get people to double dip but since there's no cross save it won't work very well.

No, there's nothing of the sort that requires PSTV support.

I didn't know that this didn't have cross-save either. Just canceled the PS4 version. So none of the basic Vita/PS4 cross features are in this game? WTF.

Unknown?

No, there's nothing of the sort that requires PSTV support.

I didn't know that this didn't have cross-save either. Just canceled the PS4 version. So none of the basic Vita/PS4 cross features are in this game? WTF.
That's weird because since it came out like every Vita game I've seen supported it. Maybe I missed some. Yeah the lack of that is sucky. I wonder what their reasoning is?

Lyte Edge

That's weird because since it came out like every Vita game I've seen supported it. Maybe I missed some. Yeah the lack of that is sucky. I wonder what their reasoning is?

There have been a few games that don't have PSTV support. It usually has been the case of the game having a PS3/PS4 version and the publisher leaving out support, like with Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition and Gal Gun Double Peace, but those games have cross-save at least. I can't believe this game doesn't have that.

EDIT: Looks like the reason why there's no cross-save is due to the save file size. On PS4, save files are a minimum of 2GB in size.

fernoca

Was looking forward to this, wasn't aware of the demo on Vita, so got that while waiting until later this week to get it.

Really enjoyed it. Luckily, Amazon sent me a $30 promo credit I wasn't expecting.

Ended getting this on Vita and digitally for $10! The under 300MB size was quite perfect too.

Now, the digital version wasn't the day one edition but, for $10 and on day one... Couldn't be happier.

Oh man, this game is great so far.

I also ran into the problem with LaDouche's (ayyo!) spruce up the shop quest. Thanks for the workaround to those who posted it, I thought I was just tired and not getting something. I wanted to punch him so hard when he said it would be nice if there was a forge in there.

Overall though so far I can see myself sinking a lot of time into this game. So glad I tried the demo, it went from "huh what's this thing" to insta-preorder in no time flat.

JCX

Really disappointed in lack of cross save. I wonder why it was excluded. Thought both versions were the same, save for Vita's technical limits.

Ferr986

When you progress in the story to a new scenario you will be having to build up a new town again from scratch. So just keep that in mind.

I wonder if it would be better to just build the minimum required in the story cities and go ham with the free build one later. I did read there's npcs in free build, although they never stay past a couple of days.

I should get the game tomorrow, btw :)

boooga

Neo Member
The lack of cross-save is a bummer, but I heard it's because the game tracks the location of every block in the world. To track that level of persistence would probably be a nightmare.

PSTV support would have been a nice compromise, but oh well.

(I'm totally loving this game, btw. Might be my favorite game of the year so far.)

Man, I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed the demo. Combat is a tad bit stiff (wish I could at least lock on to monsters), but the core gameplay is super fun. I really wanted to build up that city and make it flourish.

Trying to save money now so I can't really justify a purchase, and I also don't want to burn up my gaming time from the wife's perspective since I'm going to disappear once FFXV releases.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Forgot to say it but nice OP Para.

You people thought we lied in the import OT? The game is great but I'm wondering about those screenshots, PS4 version really that good looking?

Thanks!

Yeah the PS4 version pretty much looks like the screenshots.

Yeah and I guess all those reviews would have mentioned these issues. Maybe I'll start it and hope for the best.

All the issues I had were technically my fault. I did stuff before I was asked to. With the dressing room, I just forgot to put a light source, which I should have known is a rule of thumb for making rooms.

This is why you dont listen to freak out posts.

Parakeetman

Meatshrooms for everyone!

Someone tell me the game continues after the demo so I don't have to replay that (even though it wouldn't take that long)

The demo is the "tutorial" / starting part of the main game so no.

At least as you said since you know what you are doing should not take you too long now.

Nags

Banned
The lack of cross-save is a bummer, but I heard it's because the game tracks the location of every block in the world. To track that level of persistence would probably be a nightmare.

PSTV support would have been a nice compromise, but oh well.

(I'm totally loving this game, btw. Might be my favorite game of the year so far.)

Yeah, it's also saving any materials you leave behind on the field and don't pick up. That actually really surprised me. It also seems to be saving "boss" monster's health. I teleported out after running into a bad situation with one "boss", came back later and it's health was right where I left it.

Thanks!

Yeah the PS4 version pretty much looks like the screenshots.

This is why you dont listen to freak out posts.

I managed to figure it out but in a game like this, that gives you this level of freedom and at the same time having strict conditions for progression, well... I don't think I have ever played a game like this. The freakout was necessary. I'm sure other people were able to learn from my mistake at least.

Parakeetman

Yeah even the JP one did not have PSVTV support.

Not really sure why as its not as if the game used touch or vita specific features. Outside of them just wanting to make sure that it would help push sales towards the console versions for people that wanted to play on the TV.

Parakeetman

This game looks really great, never played Dragon Quest before

Go check out the demo on either the PS4 or PSV got the links on the first page of the OT. Should give you a pretty good idea of what the game is all about. Though its a bit text heavy as its the start of the game introducing you to all the mechanics and basically being a tutorial.

----

Separate note, someone go take some English screenshots so I can replace the JP ones in the OT lol. Dont worry about size as Ill fix that on my end. If the laptop doesnt burst into flames that is.

Something similar to the following below.

Pic from story mode showing dialog with a character
xF4x8tp.jpg

Free build mode (showing starting location?)

Bleep

Man, I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed the demo. Combat is a tad bit stiff (wish I could at least lock on to monsters), but the core gameplay is super fun.

For anyone who's finding the combat stiff, I'd recommend always jump attacking everything. The attack animation is cancelled when you hit the ground and you can aim your attack during the swing while still moving around. If you've played Castlevania or Smash Bros. you are probably familiar with how this works.

Depending on the size/position of the enemy you can either use hitting the ground to cancel the animation right when it hits:
gifpcxaw.gif

Or just use the air control to hit and run at the peak of the jump:
gif2ejk5y.gif

Hexer06

Put a few hours into it and I can't wait to play it some more! Game is pretty addicting. Why does work in real life have to be a thing? Lol

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
So now that the game is out, can the save file from the DEMO ver. be imported to the final game? thanks

So now that the game is out, can the save file from the DEMO ver. be imported to the final game? thanks
Nope, you'll get through that demo stuff pretty quick. Game opens up right after the end of the demo. It'll take you maybe 45min to get through the demo content.

I want to buy this so bad, I played the demo a lot. After Deus Ex MD.

Squeenix has been on fire lately, between Deus Ex, Dragon Quest VII, Builders and FFXV in November.

Picked this up yesterday after work. I could be crazy, but I got the sense that there weren't a huge number of copies shipped out (sort of expected due to DQ not being the most popular thing in the US). Loving it so far. My big concern in the demo was a feeling of boredom or repetition that may creep in after a few hours but thankfully, that hasn't hit me.

ys45

So I played a little yesterday, man this game is so much fun , I can never get into the survival/Minecraft genre because most of them don't have a story, it's just survival and building stuff but this game is so charming and got a nice presentation .

Well, maybe that's because I'm a huge fan of Dragon Quest but I can definitely say this game will be one my 2016 favorites !
Now I have to find a good balance between this and Dragon Quest 7 ....

SomTervo

So I played a little yesterday, man this game is so much fun , I can never get into the survival/Minecraft genre because most of them don't have a story, it's just survival and building stuff but this game is so charming and got a nice presentation .

Well, maybe that's because I'm a huge fan of Dragon Quest but I can definitely say this game will be one my 2016 favorites !
Now I have to find a good balance between this and Dragon Quest 7 ....

The idea of structuring a Minecraftey experience with localised building quests and areas is a fucking great one. Glad you're enjoying this. Think I'll have to dip when it cheapens a bit.

If it had local co-op it would be an instant buy for me, but hey.

I sort of recommend 7 Days to Die - basically present-day realistic Minecraft but every seventh day a huge, dangerous horde of zombies comes. It's rougher than Minecraft but the structure of maintaining and developing your base every seven days gets super, super compelling.

Is anyone else that isn't into Minecraft or these big, open survival type games really into this because of its relative simplicity? I feel like I can play this for an hour or so here and there and still make progress which I don't think I could do with a larger game this is using as a sort of template.

Malcolm9

Game dispatched from Simply Games, hopefully it will come tomorrow! Cannot wait to play it, the demo sold me.

It'll be a nice change to FIFA/PES/DOOM etc that I've been playing lately.

Is anyone else that isn't into Minecraft or these big, open survival type games really into this because of its relative simplicity? I feel like I can play this for an hour or so here and there and still make progress which I don't think I could do with a larger game this is using as a sort of template.
Absolutely. I used to be very into Minecraft. Then they started updating it. Not a problem initially, but eventually they added so many things to manage or even micromanage that it became too complex for me to handle. I'll still give it a go once in a while, but it ended up a very meh experience for me.

I'm a huge Dragon Quest fan going back all 30 years because, hey, I'm old, so I'll give any type of game with a DQ overlay a shot. This one is downright addicting in a way a DQ spinoff hasn't been since Rocket Slime.

Not to say there aren't issues, I don't ever expect to play a perfect game because invariably there's going to be a frustrating gameplay element (the camera in this one is pretty huge for me). So far the fun has definitely outweighed the frustration.

Arkeband

Banned
One thing that bothered me in the demo was it was sometimes hard to read the little speech bubbles that NPC's have, because the text was shadowed white on white. I have no idea what they were thinking with that.

I assume that's the same in the full version?

Top Bottom