• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
So during crafting, how do you specify the amount of the item you want to craft? So if I want to build 4 doors in one go instead of building one door at a time.

Not to say there aren't issues said:
I thought the same thing. The camera sometimes seems a bit fiddly and its not until I'm standing still in front of something that I can adjust it a little closer to take in the pretty, colorful art style.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I thought the same thing. The camera sometimes seems a bit fiddly and its not until I'm standing still in front of something that I can adjust it a little closer to take in the pretty, colorful art style.

Would have to say that the one worst thing about the game is most def the camera work and lack of a first person view. Since its a huge pain in the ass if you build your town as a multi story structure.

ys45

The idea of structuring a Minecraftey experience with localised building quests and areas is a fucking great one. Glad you're enjoying this. Think I'll have to dip when it cheapens a bit.

If it had local co-op it would be an instant buy for me, but hey.

I sort of recommend 7 Days to Die - basically present-day realistic Minecraft but every seventh day a huge, dangerous horde of zombies comes. It's rougher than Minecraft but the structure of maintaining and developing your base every seven days gets super, super compelling.

I got 7 days to die way back before it was on steam and decided to wait for more updates .
Guess I could try it now since there was like a hundred updates since I got it lol .

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm out today traveling for work and want to be home playing this.

A few questions that I haven't been able to test:

Is the starting town the same town throughout the entire game? I want to spruce it up, but I don't want to put a ton of work into it if it goes away or I get a new one.

Can you build on upper levels? Like rooms on top of rooms?

When crafting in the wild, do you have access to the items in your colasal coffer?

Bolivar687

Banned
Man this game is so unbelievably cool. It's such a dangerous combination to take the depth of the builder genre and marry that with an IP that's been developing and refining itself for 30 years. It's too bad there's no cross save, as I would happily hand Sony another $60 to get this on the big screen.

It reminds me of how last year, SE delivered a graphically impressive action exclusive but Sony did nothing to market it. Now they're serving up an exclusive Minecraft-killer on a silver platter and not only are they doing anything to market it, they might not have even shipped enough copies. Sony needs all the help they can get to fill out these light Holiday lineups, it feels like they're overlooking gems purely based on where they're coming from.

Faustek

For anyone who's finding the combat stiff, I'd recommend always jump attacking everything. The attack animation is cancelled when you hit the ground and you can aim your attack during the swing while still moving around. If you've played Castlevania or Smash Bros. you are probably familiar with how this works.

Depending on the size/position of the enemy you can either use hitting the ground to cancel the animation right when it hits:
gifpcxaw.gif

Or just use the air control to hit and run at the peak of the jump:
gif2ejk5y.gif

Hahah, nice. My two cents about giant enemies. use your cannon!! Make a hole in front of them, lure them in and cheese them!! Still giggling that the AI was that stupid for the cute little giant.

Would have to say that the one worst thing about the game is most def the camera work and lack of a first person view. Since its a huge pain in the ass if you build your town as a multi story structure.

Come now Para. We'll not remake the mistakes of earlier. No flooding the while first floor, no mistakes in the routes to the different floors, no lava in the first floor, no buildings outside the main castle until free mode and no effing giant motes that becomes useless at the stage bosses.

Also the camera is easy, took a few minutes to get used to.
EDIT:The camera is good as long as you have free space and aren't underground or indoors. Forgot about that. My bad.

SomTervo

I got 7 days to die way back before it was on steam and decided to wait for more updates .
Guess I could try it now since there was like a hundred updates since I got it lol .

Haha, yeah, it was pretty ropey on PS4 but they have been updating it like mad. Give it another bash.

ys45

Man this game is so unbelievably cool. It's such a dangerous combination to take the depth of the builder genre and marry that with an IP that's been developing and refining itself for 30 years. It's too bad there's no cross save, as I would happily hand Sony another $60 to get this on the big screen.

It reminds me of how last year, SE delivered a graphically impressive action exclusive but Sony did nothing to market it. Now they're serving up an exclusive Minecraft-killer on a silver platter and not only are they doing anything to market it, they might not have even shipped enough copies. Sony needs all the help they can get to fill out these light Holiday lineups, it feels like they're overlooking gems purely based on where they're coming from.

I know right , Heroes was awesome, Builders is even more fun because of the combination of the two genres .
I agree, It really sucks that Square is not marketing the series properly here , but at least Builders got nice review .

Faustek

Is the starting town the same town throughout the entire game? I want to spruce it up, but I don't want to put a ton of work into it if it goes away or I get a new one.

When crafting in the wild, do you have access to the items in your colasal coffer?

1: The game is made in 4 main chapters, one new town per chapter. There is also a free mode which allows you to go full on bonkers but it requires unlocking through completion of the main scenarios.

2: Yes you can build upper levels, don't know how many floors but as long as your within the main city limits you will get points for them. Remember to build stairs here and there. The AI isn't smart and requires routes. Made multiple ones and that seemed to solve it for me.

3: Yepp, I actually had to load up and try and yes I could. Never noticed.

I still haven't gotten an answer to my question.
Why the hell do they sleep with their eyes open?

U00IN5Z.jpg

I know right , Heroes was awesome, Builders is even more fun because of the combination of the two genres .
I agree, It really sucks that Square is not marketing the series properly here , but at least Builders got nice review .

Think Square knows fully well that this game is severely lacking to be a major* hit. Lacking of multiplayer, local or online is severely hampering it. There is a reason why Minecraft keeps on selling in Japan still while this have stopped. Don't get me wrong I much prefer this game due to it's structure and..well the Dragon Quest fanboy within me says so. But make no mistake, this is a single player experience, while cute, adorable and totally awesome it's one played in solitude and kids these days needs their multiplayer.

*Ask SE to define Major.

Where the hell is the red portal?

I've been playing for hours and building. But I need moreeeeeee.

Seriously, I think my game bugged. I can't find or build a red portal =(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a more efficient way of building walls where you walk straight forward? I can hold down the button, but then I build 2 levels and can't walk forward.

I end up holding down the build button, walk backwards and tap the "look up" button for every 2nd brick.

Parakeetman

Hahah, nice. My two cents about giant enemies. use your cannon!! Make a hole in front of them, lure them in and cheese them!! Still giggling that the AI was that stupid for the cute little giant.

Come now Para. We'll not remake the mistakes of earlier. No flooding the while first floor, no mistakes in the routes to the different floors, no lava in the first floor, no buildings outside the main castle until free mode and no effing giant motes that becomes useless at the stage bosses.

Also the camera is easy, took a few minutes to get used to.

The camera stuff its fine above land but once you start doing indoors or underground stuff its a mess. They could have resolved this with a simple fpv that the player can toggle on / off as they wish.

Faustek

The camera stuff its fine above land but once you start doing indoors or underground stuff its a mess. They could have resolved this with a simple fpv that the player can toggle on / off as they wish.

ah yeah that is true, I actually made my floors 3 bricks higher due to that fact. Maybe that's why I didn't notice anything when I just booted up to test if I could craft from the coffer outside in the wide world ^^ And yes a FPV would have solved that issue.

But sigh, no cross save...and here I was thinking of playing the majority of the game on PSV and then just kick it on the console later on.

Can anyone explain how the DLC is supposed to work? For the digital day one edition you receive:

Gold Block Recipe
Retro Roof Recipe
Olde World Wall Recipe
8-Bit Brick Recipe
Time-Honoured Turf Recipe
Slimy Block Recipe
Springtide Sprinkles Recipe

Are these unlocked only in sandbox mode or do they (or also) show up at some point in story mode?

Unknown?

Not really. Well yes and no. It should do it automatically but if you're in a building with roof or confined room just hit R3 to reset the camera in your position. It works every time.

I wish there were an easier way to zoom in without having to smash the camera into the ground. And perhaps a 'camera center' button would be nice too. Only got to put in a couple of hours (got to end of demo basically) last night but I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to get back to it!

What do you guys think about this for a couple of 9-11 year-olds that are obsessed with Minecraft but have never played an RPG and (to my knowledge) have no particular affinity for fantasy-themed stuff (but nothing against it either).

Thinking about sending a copy to my nephews...

Parakeetman

What do you guys think about this for a couple of 9-11 year-olds that are obsessed with Minecraft but have never played an RPG and (to my knowledge) have no particular affinity for fantasy-themed stuff (but nothing against it either).

There is no co-op so you will have to take that into account.

But for a complete single player experience where what you are able to build increases as you progress in the story, it should keep em occupied if they like building stuff.

There is no real "level gaining" like with exp outside of your towns level. So its not as if they have to worry about things like stats and whatnots or grinding for exp through combat.

Where the hell is the red portal?

I've been playing for hours and building. But I need moreeeeeee.

Seriously, I think my game bugged. I can't find or build a red portal =(

You get the red portal after a fight.

1) You get new towns in each chapter, but you get new recipes and stuff that you add to your knowledge. So it builds up on itself. But apparently you don't get to keep any materials in a new chapter.

2) I build rooms on top of rooms, but I don't completely cover it unless it's a room I don't need to go into. You can still see inside a room that has a roof, but the camera gets a little wonky.

3) I don't think you can swap anything out, but I think you can craft things from the coffer at any work station.

Controls in the JP version were great

X Jump
Square attack
Circle Menu
Triangle use item

they really messed them up in the localization lol

Faustek

Well what Para said and if you are ever worried about the puff-puff...

9aUgx3v.jpg

That is the "lewdest" thing that I remember ever happening.

X Jump
Square attack
Circle Menu
Triangle use item

It's called Censorship.

hmm, so have they started mapping the buttons to your account region or system region?

Parakeetman

Well what Para said and if you are ever worried about the puff-puff...

9aUgx3v.jpg

That is the "lewdest" thing that I remember ever happening.

It's called Censorship.

hmm, so have they started mapping the buttons to your account region or system region?

Ive been told button mapping now is all on the devs as the system itself for the PS4 no longer forces mapping unlike the PS3.

Tohsaka

Why is the character customization option grayed out? I played the demo and was able to change things, but I just went to start the full game and it's seemingly disabled.

edit: never mind, just started the game and it let me.

I thought that item management would become a pain in the ass in the long run, what with the limited inventory the player has and having to pick up items from chests.

Then I got the big-ass chest that lets me put stuff in and take stuff out from wherever I am in the world.

This fucking game. It was made by someone who knows what's up.

Faustek

Ive been told button mapping now is all on the devs as the system itself for the PS4 no longer forces mapping unlike the PS3.

Thanks.

I've bought three dq games in three months. Feels good

DQVII, DQB and...what did I miss? Or just late to the party with something?

I thought that item management would become a pain in the ass in the long run, what with the limited inventory the player has and having to pick up items from chests.

Then I got the big-ass chest that lets me put stuff in and take stuff out from wherever I am in the world.

Wait until you fill that out...and the next after that. :)

Game is extremely fun.

crinale

It is by Kazuya Niino.

-NeoTB1-

Apologies if this has been addressed, but has anyone been able to get the pre-order DLC to download? I have 5 pieces that were redeemed (Day 1 + Amazon), but cannot get to download. This is the only game I've ever encountered this problem.

Begaria

Got to play a solid 2.5 hours last night after my daughter went to bed. I had to tear myself away from it to go to bed. Last thing I did was do a bit of exploration around the starting island to check out what was on it. I've got the giant mallet and the telportal to the Hammerbros Isle.

Exactly this. Between the coffer and the chimera wing, someone at Sqare Enix is looking out for us. Huge quality of life items. The coffer should have made an appearance in the demo, that thing is amazing and alone could move some units.

N° 2048

Apologies if this has been addressed, but has anyone been able to get the pre-order DLC to download? I have 5 pieces that were redeemed (Day 1 + Amazon), but cannot get to download. This is the only game I've ever encountered this problem.

Same issue here.

boooga

Neo Member

X Jump
Square attack
Circle Menu
Triangle use item

Ugghhh this is exactly how I would have mapped the controls. I wish we could just customize them freely.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm so annoyed. I pre-ordered this game for release date delivery, as a gift for my wife for her Birthday (and so she'd give me Dark Souls 3 back), a I nd of course it didn't arrive yesterday like it was supposed to. Complained to Amazon, and they told me that it wasn't release date delivery (even though I'm a Prime member, and when I pre-ordered it, it specifically said release date delivery). So my wife hasn't gotten her gift yet, and Amazon just shrugged. Really fucking irritated. I was looking forward to checking this game out myself. I didn't buy it digitally because of my Prime 20% off discount, but fuck this noise.

boooga

Neo Member
Haven't followed this game at all. Is the story mode a full blown DQ jrpg? Or is this very DQlite?

The easiest way to understand it is also the most common refrain surrounding DQB: it's Minecraft with quests / objectives, wrapped up in Dragon Quest trappings. So there's crafting and building, just like in Minecraft, but you carry out specific quests for NPCs.

Honestly, it's the best of both worlds. Seems like a weird mashup at first, but it's remarkable how well DQ pairs with Minecraft.

Wereroku

I'm so annoyed. I pre-ordered this game for release date delivery, as a gift for my wife for her Birthday (and so she'd give me Dark Souls 3 back), a I nd of course it didn't arrive yesterday like it was supposed to. Complained to Amazon, and they told me that it wasn't release date delivery (even though I'm a Prime member, and when I pre-ordered it, it specifically said release date delivery). So my wife hasn't gotten her gift yet, and Amazon just shrugged. Really fucking irritated. I was looking forward to checking this game out myself. I didn't buy it digitally because of my Prime 20% off discount, but fuck this noise.
Yeah I noticed on Sunday they removed release day delivery at some point so I complained and got a 5 dollar voucher and reordered it with 1 day shipping that came with release day delivery. You should complain until you at least get some compensation. They offered me 5 bucks or a month of prime.

Nags

Banned
For anyone who's finding the combat stiff, I'd recommend always jump attacking everything. The attack animation is cancelled when you hit the ground and you can aim your attack during the swing while still moving around. If you've played Castlevania or Smash Bros. you are probably familiar with how this works.

Depending on the size/position of the enemy you can either use hitting the ground to cancel the animation right when it hits:
gifpcxaw.gif

Or just use the air control to hit and run at the peak of the jump:
gif2ejk5y.gif

This is a great tip!

Are there special attacks/spells for your character to learn? Just wondering, as I only played the demo briefly to get a feel and it didn't have much in the way of that

Parakeetman

Updated the OT moving the demo download links higher up right under the product info section and added in the full download version file sizes for the PS4 / PSV.

Are there special attacks/spells for your character to learn? Just wondering, as I only played the demo briefly to get a feel and it didn't have much in the way of that

You do learn a charge attack for your weapons, but for the most part when you start off the game basically you are told that you are not the hero lol. So the game is really focused more on building rather than combat itself outside of things like boss fights or collecting resources from particular enemies.

Later in the game you will be able to
build mounted weapons such as ballistas or cannons

Erudite

Ugghhh this is exactly how I would have mapped the controls. I wish we could just customize them freely.
Doesn't the PS4 let you re-map the controls at the OS level? The only annoying thing would be the button prompts not matching up.

Nevertheless, I agree that the JP controls sound much better. Wish we had the option to switch between the two.

Top Bottom