• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest III HD-2D is coming to PS5, Switch, Xbox Series and PC

Hudo

Gold Member
Also, with regards to Chrono Trigger. I am with you. But I think it deserves a proper remake/remaster. More than "just" HD-2D. It should be done by the DQ team, tho. With Sakaguchi and Horii involved. Keep Nomura the fuck away from that project.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Gameplay wise, I think it's a Strategy RPG that came out on Super Nintendo late in its life cycle
I see. I was born in 1989 so I never had a snes. It wasn't until I was 6 or 7 that my parents got me a n64. I mostly played gameboy color and dreamcast until 2001 when I got an Xbox.

I regret not having an snes, ps1 and ps2 as I know I missed out on alot of great jrpgs.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Also, with regards to Chrono Trigger. I am with you. But I think it deserves a proper remake/remaster. More than "just" HD-2D. It should be done by the DQ team, tho. With Sakaguchi and Horii involved. Keep Nomura the fuck away from that project.
Wasn't nomura the guy who fucked up kingdom hearts 3? Or was that someone else.

I personally didn't like it.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Nomura is actually the main director of the KH series. He also directed FF7 Remake and obviously watched Doctor Strange and other MCU movies and went "that's a great idea!"
I thought so.

What I would give for a faithful turn based remake of ff7. Instead they changed so much.

I didn't really enjoy ff7 remake.

Haven't played rebirth yet. So can't comment on that. Most people seem to like it.

What about Valkyrie Profile?

I want a goddamn re-release on modern platforms at least.

I wouldn't mind a re-release of that game. I never got to play the game. There was a re-release but it's PS4/PS5 Exclusive. Now that SquareEnix stopped doing that Sony Exclusivity BS, I'm hoping for a Switch/Steam release in the future

I see. I was born in 1989 so I never had a snes. It wasn't until I was 6 or 7 that my parents got me a n64. I mostly played gameboy color and dreamcast until 2001 when I got an Xbox.

I regret not having an snes, ps1 and ps2 as I know I missed out on alot of great jrpgs.

I was born in 1984. I had a PS1/PS2 during my Junior High/High School years. So I was able to play some JRPGs but since I was a teenager with no job I had to figure out which JRPG to get and all of them looked great. So I had some hard decisions back in those days to make. I have lot of memories just playing some fantastic JRPGs during the PS1/PS2 Era

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind a re-release of that game. I never got to play the game. There was a re-release but it's PS4/PS5 Exclusive. Now that SquareEnix stopped doing that Sony Exclusivity BS, I'm hoping for a Switch/Steam release in the future

I was born in 1984. I had a PS1/PS2 during my Junior High/High School years. So I was able to play some JRPGs but since I was a teenager with no job I had to figure out which JRPG to get and all of them looked great. So I had some hard decisions back in those days to make. I have lot of memories just playing some fantastic JRPGs during the PS1/PS2 Era
Is this the Valkyrie game you were talking about?

Oh cool. So your just a few years older than me. Yeah back then I didn't have money for games. Being an only child I was spoiled though. So my parents bought me alot of games and systems.

I spent alot of time at friends houses. And they had ps2s and GameCubes.
So I got to discover new games from them.

I didn't get a Playstation until 2010 I would say. I got a ps3 and caught up on all the great exclusives I missed on xb360 . I also had a wii and 3ds. I was big into pokemon games.

I had lots of great memories as a kid. Playing 4vs4 halo with our xboxs in a lan.

Didn't really play rpgs until lost odyssey sadly.

Hudo

Gold Member

Oh cool. So your just a few years older than me. Yeah back then I didn't have money for games. Being an only child I was spoiled though. So my parents bought me alot of games and systems.

I didn't get a Playstation until 2010 I would say. I got a ps3 and caught up on all the great exclusives I missed on xb360 . I also had a wii and 3ds. I was big into pokemon games.

I had lots of great memories as a kid. Playing 4vs4 halo with our xboxs in a lan.

Nah, Valkyrie Elysium is just the newest game in the Valkyrie Profile series. And unfortunately pretty mediocre.

We mean this:

Originally released for PS1, it got a re-release on PS4/PS5. But no other platforms. Same thing happened with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. Also got a re-released on PS4/PS5. But no multiplat.

That the latest Valkyrie Profile game and it's only that in name only

I'm talking about this game

1WkiR1A.jpeg

The Remaster is stuck on PS4/PS5

I'm just waiting for an announcement either soon or later when it comes to this game. Oh yeah also would love a remaster of Valkyrie Profile 2 for good measure and release that on everything too

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Nah, Valkyrie Elysium is just the newest game in the Valkyrie Profile series. And unfortunately pretty mediocre.

We mean this:

Originally released for PS1, it got a re-release on PS4/PS5. But no other platforms. Same thing happened with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. Also got a re-released on PS4/PS5. But no multiplat.

I see. I should pick this up as I have a ps5. It looks good.

Also heard legend of dragoon was a great game. It's on ps plus i need to check it out.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I see. I should pick this up as I have a ps5. It looks good.
Do it, it's pretty good, specially if you are into more mature and depressing stories. It also has an orinignal battle system, some pretty cool sprite work and a very nice OST.

Only downside of the game, imo, is that getting the true ending without a guide is near impossible. Some recommend playing it twice, once guideless to get the normal ending, and then with a guide and on hard mode to get the true ending.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
That the latest Valkyrie Profile game and it's only that in name only

I'm talking about this game

1WkiR1A.jpeg

The Remaster is stuck on PS4/PS5

I'm just waiting for an announcement either soon or later when it comes to this game. Oh yeah also would love a remaster of Valkyrie Profile 2 for good measure and release that on everything too
I see it's called Valkyrie Profile Lenneth on ps5. $20 not bad.

Thanks for letting me know friend.

I hope they release it on steam or switch for you. Square did say they are fully multiplatform now.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Do it, it's pretty good, specially if you are into more mature and depressing stories. It also has an orinignal battle system, some pretty cool sprite work and a very nice OST.

Only downside of the game, imo, is that getting the true ending without a guide is near impossible. Some recommend playing it twice, once guideless to get the normal ending, and then with a guide and on hard mode to get the true ending.
I am into mature stories. Like SMT. (Noticed your avatar)

I use a guide for a lot of my games so it shouldn't be an issue to get the true ending. Except for the difficulty. I may have to grind a bit on hard mode.

I see it's called Valkyrie Profile Lenneth on ps5. $20 not bad.

Thanks for letting me know friend.

I hope they release it on steam or switch for you. Square did say they are fully multiplatform now.

Yeah I haven't played it yet but I heard it's a fantastic JRPG and is on alot of people's top ten list for a reason. I reccomand to use a guide since I heard that getting the best ending should be your goal for that game. And BTW play on Normal Mode

And yeah I just hope there's an announcement soon or sometime this year. Since I'm more interested in SquareEnix porting their games that aren't Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts. They have lot of bangers that shouldn't be stuck to one console

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Yeah I haven't played it yet but I heard it's a fantastic JRPG and is on alot of people's top ten list for a reason. I reccomand to use a guide since I heard that getting the best ending should be your goal for that game. And BTW play on Normal Mode

And yeah I just hope there's an announcement soon or sometime this year. Since I'm more interested in SquareEnix porting their games that aren't Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts. They have lot of bangers that shouldn't be stuck to one console
Yeah TintoConCasera TintoConCasera told me to use a guide. He said hard mode to get the true ending. I'll play it soon.

I hope so too. There's alot of bangers i haven't played. It's sad that they are locked to old systems that have their digital stores shut down. Probably a bunch of rpgs on ds alone.

Speaking of dragon quest. I'm still waiting for the western release of dragon quest x.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah TintoConCasera TintoConCasera told me to use a guide. He said hard mode to get the true ending. I'll play it soon.
Just to clarify, I'm not sure you need to play on Hard Mode to get the true ending. I meant that as a recommendation for a second playthorugh, just to make things more interesting.

That said, if I remember correctly, the game isn't particularly hard on any difficulty.

I hope so too. There's alot of bangers i haven't played. It's sad that they are locked to old systems that have their digital stores shut down. Probably a bunch of rpgs on ds alone.

Speaking of dragon quest. I'm still waiting for the western release of dragon quest x.

Unfortunately I don't think DQ10 is coming. It's been a long time since the OG announcement

If you have a good gaming PC, I reccomand Emulation. I have a DS emulator that works great on my PC. I play games that I missed out on due to being a Highschool Student/College Student. It's sounds harder than it really is. I just highly recommend that too

Just to clarify, I'm not sure you need to play on Hard Mode to get the true ending. I meant that as a recommendation for a second playthorugh, just to make things more interesting.

That said, if I remember correctly, the game isn't particularly hard on any difficulty.

I'm curious can I play on Normal Difficulty and be able to get the True Ending?

hybrid_birth

Gold Member

Thanks for the clarification. I'll do hard on the 2nd playthrough.

That's good to know it's not hard.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Unfortunately I don't think DQ10 is coming. It's been a long time since the OG announcement

If you have a good gaming PC, I reccomand Emulation. I have a DS emulator that works great on my PC. I play games that I missed out on due to being a Highschool Student/College Student. It's sounds harder than it really is. I just highly recommend that too

I'm curious can I play on Normal Difficulty and be able to get the True Ending?
I don't have a good gaming pc. Just a cheap laptop.

It may be able to do some emulation as it's a 12th gen Intel from a few years ago.

I used to do all kinds of emulation when I did have a gaming pc. I've done DS emulation, GameCube, etc.

Thing is I only want to do emulation if I own a disc / cartridge copy of the game. As far as I know, it's not illegal if you own a copy of the game.

TintoConCasera

As far as I know, it's not illegal if you own a copy of the game.
Yeah Ihink it's fine to do it that way, the game is yours and you can play it however you want. Plus, I might be wrong here, but I heard Valkyrie Profile CD's are some actual bitches that give tons on problems even on the original hardware.

btw, if you guys end up liking Valkyrie Profile's combat system, make sure to check the Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga EF games on the NDS.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Yaaayyyy... another cash grab.

I am beginning to hate these remasters. And starting to even dislike remakes. What happened to the good old just giving us a new current-gen entry into the series?

The industry is becoming so risk-averse, that right now the easiest thing to do si to capitalize on nostalgia and just re-release old shit.

I don't have a good gaming pc. Just a cheap laptop.

It may be able to do some emulation as it's a 12th gen Intel from a few years ago.

I used to do all kinds of emulation when I did have a gaming pc. I've done DS emulation, GameCube, etc.

Thing is I only want to do emulation if I own a disc / cartridge copy of the game. As far as I know, it's not illegal if you own a copy of the game.

That's understandable

I reccomand getting the Steamdeck especially for Emulation. That aspect works great on the Steamdeck. But that's harder if you want to own a physical copy. Since lot of the popular older games tends to be priced way higher than they were back when they came out. Why I never went into videogame collecting. The prices are ridiculous

TintoConCasera

Yaaayyyy... another cash grab.

I am beginning to hate these remasters. And starting to even dislike remakes. What happened to the good old just giving us a new current-gen entry into the series?

The industry is becoming so risk-averse, that right now the easiest thing to do si to capitalize on nostalgia and just re-release old shit.
But they are also making a new mainline Dragon Quest game.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Yeah Ihink it's fine to do it that way, the game is yours and you can play it however you want. Plus, I might be wrong here, but I heard Valkyrie Profile CD's are some actual bitches that give tons on problems even on the original hardware.

btw, if you guys end up liking Valkyrie Profile's combat system, make sure to check the Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga EF games on the NDS.

I'll check out super robot. Thanks for the recommendation.

I definitely am going to try to buy some old games and emulate them. It's been too long since i played retro games.

Mr.Phoenix

But they are also making a new mainline Dragon Quest game.
I know. Release that shit first. Hell... even show us something from that one first before doing this.

I mean I get the whole remaster thing. Or even remakes. But when that becomes what EVERYONE is doing, then it becomes an issue.

And people wonder why the current gen feels like there isn't anything new to play.

TintoConCasera

I know. Release that shit first. Hell... even show us something from that one first before doing this.
I think they are taking it veeery slowly. Dragon Quest XII is the first one after Sugiyama and Toriyama passing away, so they probably want to make something worth the legacy. That said I bet we'll see both games during this summer.

I mean I get the whole remaster thing. Or even remakes. But when that becomes what EVERYONE is doing, then it becomes an issue.

And people wonder why the current gen feels like there isn't anything new to play.
Yeah I agree on this. Waaay too many remakes and remasters are being done nowadays. I don't mind when it's an old game from the NES/SNES/GameBoy, since it might include some QOL changes or some actual visual upgrades, but things are getting wild with remakes of PS3 or even PS4 games. I laugh at those.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
That's understandable

I reccomand getting the Steamdeck especially for Emulation. That aspect works great on the Steamdeck. But that's harder if you want to own a physical copy. Since lot of the popular older games tends to be priced way higher than they were back when they came out. Why I never went into videogame collecting. The prices are ridiculous
Makes sense.

I'm definitely going to get a steam deck again some day for emulation.

Last time I downloaded a rom I got a email from my isp saying that I downloaded illegal content from copyright holder square Enix.

Scared me a bit so I stopped.

TintoConCasera

It's going to be hard seeing Akira toriyamas name in the dragon quest hd 2d's credits. Knowing he's gone.
I bet there'll be some special dedication at the end to both him and Sugiyama.

Careful with this one. Afaik, they changed the anime cutscenes with CGI ones, and the aspect ratio of the whole game is all wrong.

I also think the USA version of VP on the PSX had some QOL features not present on the JP version, and the Lenneth port was done with the JP version as base so some QOL features are missing.

There's a pretty nice breakdown on this post on gamefaqs:

Oh man get on Octo II as soon as possible, that game is fucking outstanding. I was one that did enjoy the first Octo despite it's issues, but Octo II is a huge step up from the first, I really really enjoyed my time with it.

Yeah I heard I would love Octopath Traveler II

I never finished Octopath Traveler 1

I just found it too grindy and I would grind for hours and wouldn't be able to progress

I just didn't like that. But a friend convinced me to play Octopath Traveler II so I got the physical for Switch and I'm planning on playing it sometime this year

So. GAF. Let's fucking do it. Give me your Top 5 Dragon Quest games.

The only Dragon Quest game I beat was Dragon Quest 11 S. But I haven't finished it yet. Still need to go back and finish the post game

I'll give you my Top Five Star Ocean Games though 👀 👀 👀

Star Ocean Till The End of Time
Star Ocean The Divine Force
Star Ocean The Last Hope
Star Ocean The Second Story R
Star Ocean First Evolution

(couldn't resist)

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
The only Dragon Quest game I beat was Dragon Quest 11 S. But I haven't finished it yet. Still need to go back and finish the post game

I'll give you my Top Five Star Ocean Games though 👀 👀 👀

Star Ocean Till The End of Time
Star Ocean The Divine Force
Star Ocean The Last Hope
Star Ocean The Second Story R
Star Ocean First Evolution

(couldn't resist)
I accept that as well

You would really rank the last two recent Star Ocean games (excluding Second Story R) above Second Story R? You go against the internet, my friend. (I don't know enough about these games to form an opinion about them)

TintoConCasera

V: Best story, not just in DQ but maybe in JRPGs in general, plus it's short and sweet
XI: Very epic. Maybe too long, but that made the adventure feel more epic somehow.
VIII: Very good all around.
IV: My introduction to the series. Might have my fav final boss so far, those transformations were throwing me for a spin.
VI: Very solid entry, enjoyed it a ton.

Didn't like: IX. Tried playing it on single player mode many years after release and I was feeling like I was missing out.
Also VII was too damn slow, even on the 3DS. But I might try that one again some time.
Never played: I, II, III, X.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
  1. Dragon Quest V
  2. Dragon Quest III
  3. Dragon Quest VIII
  4. Dragon Quest XI
  5. Dragon Quest IV
Fight me if you must, but I think this is generally considered the right order.

Didn't like: IX. Tried playing it on single player mode many years after release and I was feeling like I was missing out.
Also VII was too damn slow, even on the 3DS. But I might try that one again some time.
Never played: I, II, III, X.
IX was great, I replayed that recently and enjoyed it a ton. I never used the multiplayer aspect even when it was still available, you're not missing out on anything. In fact, if you're emulating the game or playing it on a hacked console, there are ways to unlock all the multiplayer stuff anyway, if you want.

Agree with you that 7 was too slow - it was even worse on the PS1 with its CD load times! The game is just too long and takes forever to get from point A to point B.

I hope the rumors of this game being the whole first trilogy are true, and if so you're in for a huge treat. The first game is classic, short, and straightforward. The second game introduces a lot of new mechanics (like fighting multiple monsters at once while having multiple party members). The third game elevates the formula to god-tier, which is why everyone was so excited when this was announced.

Finally, if you're interested in X you should check out the Offline version. It's got an ongoing English translation (available for PC and hacked Switches). I made a thread on it last year when I was playing through the game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles jshackles thanks man, appreciate it. Definetly need to givbe IX another chance, specially if I can unlock all the extra mp stuff.
If you're playing on legit hardware, check out this guide as it's pretty much the easiest way to unlock the web stuff

The "multiplayer" stuff is just unlocking new side quests and the ability to have legacy characters from previous games visit your inn and give you equipment (though some of that stuff is super powerful, especially early game). By mid-game it's all worthless. The extra side quests do unlock optional late-game bosses, which is cool. Otherwise, 100% optional for your single player enjoyment.

Sojiro

My list might be a bit controversial with the top ones, and I am sticking with mainline titles but:

1. Dragon Warrior VII (I know it's Quest but my PS1 copy is still labeled as Warrior lol) - This game finally got me to look back at DQ after years of ignoring the series since last playing DQ IV on NES, and honestly not being able to play DQ V or VI at the time without knowing JP (fan translations for the games weren't available at that time). I really love this game despite how huge it is, and the flexibility of the class system is awesome.
2. Dragon Quest XI - Fantastic game with one of the better stories for this series imo. It feels like a big budget JRPG but still retains the spirit of DQ.
3. Dragon Quest VIII - Another fantastic title with great characters. Dhoulmagus is a joy to hear speak in person. I do miss the class system, but there is still some customization with your characters.
4. Dragon Quest VI - I really feel like this title deserves much more love than it gets. It being a late SNES title where the devs knew how to take advantage of the hardeware let it look gorgeous, and once again there is a great class system with a plethora of vocations to choose.
5. Dragon Quest IX - Despite being weaker on the story side than the recent prior entries, I love the gameplay in this, between an awesome class system, creating a party from scratch and sharing dungeon maps online with other people, this game felt like a direct evolution of DQ3's design.

"Where the fuck is DQV Sojiro"? I know this is a fan favorite and I do really like the game, but it doesn't quite make it to the top five for me. The story is amazing in it, especially for the time and if you have played it you know what I mean. My biggest hurdle with it is I personally don't like that monsters fill your party for a good part of the game, yes you can have a full human party at some point, but I wasn't super keen on having monsters for a good part of the game. DQV also lacks a class system that I really value with most of these games. Thankfully, they also added 4 person parties in the DS release, that always bugged me for it originally (I really don't care for just 3 person parties in JRPGs).

The only two titles I haven't played are DQ II and DQ X. DQII seems to be a bit of a mixed bag with impressions due to its difficulty, but I would like to try it out one day. DQ X is of course the online one that WE NEVER FUCKING GOT GOD DAMMIT SE! Man was I completely bummed this never got released over here since it reminded me so much of Final Fantasy XI, and I would be so down for that. I wouldn't mind trying the offline version if SE were to ever grace the west with it's presence, but even if the offline is great I will always be disappointed in the missing online it was meant to be.

I accept that as well

You would really rank the last two recent Star Ocean games (excluding Second Story R) above Second Story R? You go against the internet, my friend. (I don't know enough about these games to form an opinion about them)

I know the internet hates 3D Star Ocean I love them more than the 2D Star Ocean games

Well expect for Star Ocean 5, that one was terrible. Only good thing was the sexy Witch that's part of your party 👀 👀

Top Bottom