• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest III HD-2D is coming to PS5, Switch, Xbox Series and PC

Deerock71

Fugg the HD2D haters!
Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
My guess for Switch 2 is that they will do the same thing as they did with the Switch reveal

A 4 to 10 minutes video showcasing Switch 2 that they will release in Fall 2024 with a release date of March 2025
I hope so. Going to be watching switch 2 news like a hawk. I will pre-order as soon as I can. Probably from Amazon as I have gift cards saved.

I wonder what the launch titles will be. Fingers crossed for dragon quest or xenoblade.

There is rumors of another zelda remake in the style of links awakening for switch 2.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
The only two titles I haven't played are DQ II and DQ X. DQII seems to be a bit of a mixed bag with impressions due to its difficulty, but I would like to try it out one day. DQ X is of course the online one that WE NEVER FUCKING GOT GOD DAMMIT SE! Man was I completely bummed this never got released over here since it reminded me so much of Final Fantasy XI, and I would be so down for that. I wouldn't mind trying the offline version if SE were to ever grace the west with it's presence, but even if the offline is great I will always be disappointed in the missing online it was meant to be.
There is a very good fan translation that is current to the most recent version. Its not really like FF11 though. Its basically an expanded version of the ideas from DQ9. It very much plays lile "Super DQ9"

Sojiro

There is a very good fan translation that is current to the most recent version. Its not really like FF11 though. Its basically an expanded version of the ideas from DQ9. It very much plays lile "Super DQ9"
The online still plays like super 9? I was under the impression that the online required groups for getting things accomplished and leveling. The forced grouping is what I was comparing to FF11, although I admit I may have been way off base there.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
The online still plays like super 9? I was under the impression that the online required groups for getting things accomplished and leveling. The forced grouping is what I was comparing to FF11, although I admit I may have been way off base there.
Absolutely not. I'm 200 hours in, having cleared the base game and am towards the end of its first expansion, and have not once partied with live people. You can rent other peoples characters from the tavern. Its free until level 80, and even if youre hiring a max level character its like 280 gold for 12 hours. If you hire a character from your guild, its 50% off. If you hire someone on your friends list its always free.

Its extremely single-player friendly. If you do want to play with other people, there is a very active and friendly english community.
If youre interested in trying it, DM me and Ill point you in the direction of instructions for the free trial. Its alot of fun and if you already love DQ, you owe it to yourself

Hudo

Gold Member
Looks decent. Hope they don't change any dialogue.
The only thing I hope they'll also do, which goes a bit against how it was in the originals, is that they don't zoom in when a party member or enemy attacks. I wanna see the character sprites.

Last edited:

Isa

So. GAF. Let's fucking do it. Give me your Top 5 Dragon Quest games.
I know I'm late and most don't care but here I go.

1. Dragon Quest III= The iconic art and party complexity and exploration floored me after II.
2. Dragon Quest IV= Streamlined and simplified but came together so well with a great cast and big adventure.
3. Dragon Quest V= The story and characters are fantastic plus monster gathering was fairly unique for the time.
4. Dragon Quest II= After part I I was impressed by the improvements and love the 3 characters and how the Erdrick legend continues. Exploration was cool too.
5. Dragon Quest I= My first time with the series way back when. Super simple but so perfect. A great beginner's rpg as it was kind of intended with great charm.

I love the newer games and some spin-offs but the OG's will always hold a place in my heart. Also shout out to Like a Dragon 7&8 for paying homage to the all-time-great.

Hudo

Gold Member

1. Dragon Quest III= The iconic art and party complexity and exploration floored me after II.
2. Dragon Quest IV= Streamlined and simplified but came together so well with a great cast and big adventure.
3. Dragon Quest V= The story and characters are fantastic plus monster gathering was fairly unique for the time.
4. Dragon Quest II= After part I I was impressed by the improvements and love the 3 characters and how the Erdrick legend continues. Exploration was cool too.
5. Dragon Quest I= My first time with the series way back when. Super simple but so perfect. A great beginner's rpg as it was kind of intended with great charm.

I love the newer games and some spin-offs but the OG's will always hold a place in my heart. Also shout out to Like a Dragon 7&8 for paying homage to the all-time-great.
I care, my friend.

• Strength
Reactions: Isa

Isa

I care, my friend.
Thanks I appreciate it! I do really like the newer games too and am here for XII and day 1 for the HD-2D remake(s). After people have been talking about that interview(that I saw live and is crazy to think it was like 3 years ago wtf!?) Horii did on that live show about doing the other games, I can't help but think they might just have decided to do the first three games in one go. Probably not but I really wish its true so I can binge those games again. I'll disappear for a few weeks/months haha.

Sojiro

Not a single 3D DQ? How dare you! Lol. Nothing wrong with appreciating the greats! Now the real question is since you like those older ones, do you prefer their original NES games or the remakes that came later? All the QoL that came with the later ones are great, but there is definitely a charm to playing those original 8-bit games despite not having modern conveniences, especially if you played them originally that way. Not sure I could personally say I like the original releases more, but I wouldn't be opposed to playing them that way again. This only applies to 1, 3 and 4, like I said I never played 2.

Reactions: Isa

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I still haven't beaten 8. I blame that shit on my past alcoholism, though. I'd always pass out after grinding a few levels. LOL!
I still haven't beaten them all. Despite owning 1 through 6 on Android. I found out i hate touchscreen controls and prefer buttons.

I hope they released a collection of dq in one package like ff pixel remaster for modern systems.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I still haven't beaten them all. Despite owning 1 through 6 on Android. I found out i hate touchscreen controls and prefer buttons.

I hope they released a collection of dq in one package like ff pixel remaster for modern systems.
I've beaten 4, 5 and 6 and... I got far in 3. 8, I got to a "Holy place" after a major storypoint, Somewhat after the castle with the stoned-thorny-vines.

Last edited:

Isa

Not a single 3D DQ? How dare you! Lol. Nothing wrong with appreciating the greats! Now the real question is since you like those older ones, do you prefer their original NES games or the remakes that came later? All the QoL that came with the later ones are great, but there is definitely a charm to playing those original 8-bit games despite not having modern conveniences, especially if you played them originally that way. Not sure I could personally say I like the original releases more, but I wouldn't be opposed to playing them that way again. This only applies to 1, 3 and 4, like I said I never played 2.
While I do really like them, some I had an absolute blast with, namely VIII and XI, yeah I lean towards the early titles. I actually do prefer the remakes that came later like the updates that the Gameboy Color saw which was really cool to go through at the time. My sister let me borrow her GB and games lol. It definitely takes some patience to go through older games nowadays, modern games have so much QoL features that make going through older games as they were a real labor of love at times lol.

For example I gave the PC88 EGG title on Switch Xak a try today, and even with its improvements thanks to their emulator, it still has its sluggish loading and movement, along with a LOT of what do I do now haha. Still fun though but after a good while of trying to level up and getting one-shot by some random mook I had to take a break. Excellent character art and impressive images and little animations for the story in the intro.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
We're doing series rankings now? Here is mine. I'll be treating each DQX expansion as its own game

III - Most iconic Dragon Quest. Really set the tone for what the series is. Everything culminated into a fantastic package. You got the town vignettes, amazing soundtrack. Insane globe trotting adventure. Most iconic hero. Cool twists. A really special game.
VII - I love the tone of this game. It's still I feel the "weirdest" game. At the time of its release, it was sort of a culmination of everything the series had been trying at this point. Cool mysterious tone. Love the PSX version, kind of annoyed by changes for the 3DS version, but I'm glad we got it
IV - There was a time when this was my favorite DQ. I think it has one of the finest plots and executions in the franchise. But there isn't a definitive version. The NES version doesn't let you control your party in Chapter 5, which sucks. The PSX / DS version, DO let you control your party, but we didn't get the PSX version and I utterly detest the DS versoin's translation.
V - Just an all around classic title. Everyone should play this game. SNES version suffers from only 3 party members, but PS2 and DS version fixes that. Debora is the canon
wife
VI - It's fucking odd to me that the US fanbase hates this game. I think it's just as classic as any of them. I love the cast, especially Terry. I blame the subpar DS remake. SFC is better
XI - Nostalgic. Perhaps a bit repetitive in structure, but a damn fine entry. Amazing ending
X Ver 2: I'm playing this right now. Wonderful story and characters. Some key moments really hit hard. Anlucia is a joy of a character. If I have to levy a complaint, it is that the resolution for several major storylines are buried as easily missable side quests. But that's minor, and the game does a good job of telling you what is available for you to do. Love the world they're building.
IX - I love this game so much, but it has a flaw. It's too easy. Still, it's a great time. Great world
and I'm glad that DQX is heavily tied to it
VIII - It's a gorgeous game. But as a follow up to DQ7, it felt so freaking shallow. I'm not the biggest fan of its story either
X Ver 1: Cool premise, but some of the middle is kinda repetitive. Sets up things for great expansions later.
I - Barebones, but satisfying. Nothing deep here, but you gotta respect what it built.
II - It has a wonderful soundtrack. And it was necessary as a transitionary title. But it at this point, there is little reason to revisit it since every other game in the series is better. And it's too damn harded. Also, Prince of Cannock is a punk ass bitch.

I'll update this list as I move through DQX Ver 3-7.

Bonus rankings: Dragon Quest Monsters Sub Series, since it was with DQM that I really started to love the franchise

DQM1 - Fun cute story. Cool monster breeding mechanics. Is it barebones? Sure, but at the time it was super refreshing over Pokemon.
DQM: The Dark Prince - I'm biased AS FUCK here. A game where I play as my favorite video game character? Sign me the eff up. But I enjoyed the story, and the monster capturing aspect was as good as ever. Some good quality of life improvements as well.
DQM2 - Sort of weird how they split it into two versions. I liked it, especially since it had cooler versions of final bosses. But the gameplay loop wasn't as fun as DQM1's
DQMJ2 - From the start, I was salty since I knew Japan had a "Professional" version. But I liked this well enough. Reminded me of Lost.
DQMJ - Hated this. Hated the look. I was still sort of salty about DQ8, so this factored in as well. Again, felt like a streamlined game after DQM2. Perhaps I was unfair, but the maps sucked. The skillpoint system sucked. The main character looked dumb.

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
So far i've only beaten DQ7 on the 3DS and i loved it so much. Maybe i will continue DQ8 on the 3DS today (I`ve played it a bit).
I love DQ7 as well. But it's overall fairly divisive among the fanbase from what I gather. I like the more episodic nature of it. Feels like you're watching a fantasy anime or something.

Top Bottom