• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2: IGN First 10 Hours Preview

That’s literally the comparison he made in the video, the guy who played it for 10 hours.

Not saying in negative way. Skyrim’s exploration is pretty damn good and equally hard to pull off.

But what he showed in video is not how Elden Ring/ BOTW works. Just felt weird to me.

But yes, you will have to explore and put effort in game to get some quests instead of everything getting accumulated in your journal automatically. Thats a plus.

GymWolf

Co-op and the Pawn system(A.I companions/trainer) are not mutually exclusive. When the casual customer sees this game in action, we know what they're going to ask. They asked it when the first game released. Co-op isn't a dealbreaker for me. I'm just certain the lack of it will hurt this game's reception.
The game would break with 4 human players i think, enemies are not that smart\fast\hard imo.

Just watch the ign footage of that poor ogre, and imagine 4 capable players instead of a ign unskilled one.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Not saying in negative way. Skyrim’s exploration is pretty damn good and equally hard to pull off.

But what he showed in video is not how Elden Ring/ BOTW works. Just felt weird to me.

But yes, you will have to explore and put effort in game to get some quests instead of everything getting accumulated in your journal automatically. Thats a plus.
No games have quests that accumulate in your journal if you don't actually reach a place and accept them from an npc or mission board, even the most dog piled open worlds like horizon or ac.

Not sure what open world games you people play tbh:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
2 player co-op each bringing their pawn. When you play Monster Hunter co-op you both have your accompanying Palico/Pawn/A.I helper.
Maybe on hard mode where enemies oneshot you even after 15 hours, but for normal mode coop would be too easy.

But then again, the inclusion of coop has never been related to how hard or easy a game is so i'm just rumbling nonsense here:lollipop_squinting:

I feel like having a party full of pawns is their vision, i'm perfectly ok with no coop.

P.s. btw i just preordered the game 🕺

Last edited:
No games have quests that accumulate in your journal if you don't actually reach a place and accept them from an npc or mission board, even the most dog piled open worlds like horizon or ac.

Not sure what open world games you people play tbh:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Its different.

Compared to say Witcher 3, where every quest is marked with “!”. So you focus only on those.

Or most Ubi games where next mission automatically triggers when you do one of them.

In a game like DD2, you will likely have incentive to explore cause you never know where you will run into quests. And if its well made game, you will find most interesting stuff at unexpected places. Like it happens in Skyrim.

GymWolf

Its different.

Compared to say Witcher 3, where every quest is marked with “!”. So you focus only on those.

Or most Ubi games where next mission automatically triggers when you do one of them.

In a game like DD2, you will likely have incentive to explore cause you never know where you will run into quests. And if its well made game, you will find most interesting stuff at unexpected places. Like it happens in Skyrim.
What? no idea what are you trying to say, maybe i forgot how latest ac works :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

If you are talking about multi-phase quest, that is how it happen in every game ever, you finish a step and the next one is automatically added in the journal because it's the next step of the quest, it's the same in dogma 1.

Other than that you still have to physically accept quests from npcs to have them added in your journal.

Maybe we are talking about something different but i feel like some people idealize and praise too much what happen in skyrim or other "fan favourites" famous open worlds but it basically happen in every open world title like discovering wacky stuff while exploring, having icons in the map doens't mean that you don't explore or find unexpected fun shit to do around or unexpected hard enemies to fight etc.

Some games do that better but its' not an exclusive, it's basically in the dna of open world games and why people like them.

Last edited:

Skifi28

loop GIF by bigblueboo

Get a PC. You get what you pay for.
That's a pretty shitty attitude, do you also want "get a console" replies every time you get an unoptimised port with stuttering? 90%+ of console releases have had 60fps modes these past 3 years, nothing wrong with people wanting or expecting that. It's not like the games has RT or visuals that set the world on fire.

GymWolf

That's a pretty shitty attitude, do you also want "get a console" replies every time you get an unoptimised port with stuttering? 90%+ of console releases have had 60fps modes these past 3 years, nothing wrong with people wanting or expecting that. It's not like the games has RT or visuals that set the world on fire.
The only thing i can think of, is that they have a very robust ia\physics system and interaction for npcs\monsters etc. that really suck a lot of resources from the cpu.

We know that gta6 is not gonna have 60 fps partially because of that (even if that one look like a gen ahead graphically)

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

What? no idea what are you trying to say.

If you are talking about multi-phase quest, that is how it happen in every game ever, you finish a step and the next one is automatically added in the journal because it's the next step of the quest, it's the same in dogma 1.

Other than that you still have to physically accept quests from npcs to have them added in your journal.

Maybe we are talking about something different but i feel like some people idealize and praise too much what happen in skyrim or other "fan favourites" famous open worlds but it basically happen in every open world title like discovering wacky stuff while exploring, having icons in the map doens't mean that you don't explore or find unexpected fun shit to do around or unexpected hard enemies to fight etc.

Some games do that better but its' not an exclusive, it's basically in the dna of open world games and why people like them.

Does Dragon's Dogma even have well written side quests? or well written characters? I never read anything about you guys(people that have played it extensively) praising it's story or lore. Are these quests that we find organically while exploring basically just busy work that you would find in any other RPG at a quest board?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Does Dragon's Dogma even have well written side quests? or well written characters? I never read anything about you guys(people that have played it extensively) praising it's story or lore.
No, it's all boring by the numbers shit, i haven't been invested in the writing of this game at all.

The big red dragon talking jibberish at the beginning was the only interesting part and i heard the finale is nice, never been able to complete the game to check it out (but since i'm injured at home i'm trying again these days).

It's not even bad per se, just EXTREMELY dull, it's not like capcom is famous for their writing except for the lawyer series.

You play these games almost solely for the gameplay and pawns interactions.

But from the footage it looks like they at least improved the models and animations during the chit chat, so who knows, maybe they actually hired capable writers aswell.

Last edited:

Skifi28

The only thing i can think of, is that they have a very robust ia\physics system and interaction for npcs\monsters etc. that really suck a lot of resources from the cpu.

We know that gta6 is not gonna have 60 fps partially because of that (even if that one look like a gen ahead graphically)
I'd say in gta6's case we can rule out 60fps (at least on the base machines) because of the RTGI solution. It's hard to say anything about CPU bottlenecks without benchmarks. I remember people also saying that plague tale requiem couldn't be 60fps on consoles because of the cpu and rats, but it got patched anyway and ran great.

GymWolf

I'd say in gta6's case we can rule out 60fps (at least on the base machines) because of the RTGI solution. It's hard to say anything about CPU bottlenecks without benchmarks. I remember people also saying that plague tale requiem couldn't be 60fps on consoles because of the cpu and rats, but it got patched anyway and ran great.
Pretty sure that handling all those npcs with physics, ia and shit is even more heavy than any light system solution, what we saw is way more advanced than the more advanced open world in the market by a generation basically.

Dogma looks pretty basic in term of light (not an expert tho), so world simulation seems the only possible culprit (other than inept devs)

Last edited:
What? no idea what are you trying to say.

To give you an example, in Skyrim a quest takes you to a underground area called Blackreach. Your quest finishes within 5 mins of entering the area. You can head back.

But its kinda huge underground area with weird structures and roof is sparkly, looking like stars. Its a weird place you haven’t seen before, so you spend some time out of curiosity.

You pick up a weird looking plant and you start a 5 hrs quest (Crimson Nirnroot).

You see a weird contraption in roof. You use a specific dragon shout on it, it opens up a new area/quest.

This sort of exploration out of curiosity and getting rewarded is missing in a lot of open world games. I think Elden Ring / BOTW do it pretty well, but a little differently. Hopefully DD2 pulls this off well.

Skifi28

Pretty sure that handling all those npcs with physics, ia and shit is even more heavy than any light system solution, what we saw is way more advanced than the more advanced open world in the market by a generation basically.

Dogma looks pretty basic in term of light (not an expert tho), so world simulation seems the only possible culprit (other than inept devs)
I don't think there always needs to be a specific tech reason why it can't be done. We have cases of games that released at 30 and got patched later because of popular demand, some times it's just not a focus during development. All I'm saying is, let's wait and see instead of people already starting the usual "Well you got a console, don't have any expectations whatsoever or get a PC" song and dance.

GymWolf

To give you an example, in Skyrim a quest takes you to a underground area called Blackreach. Your quest finishes within 5 mins of entering the area. You can head back.

But its kinda huge underground area with weird structures and roof is sparkly, looking like stars. Its a weird place you haven’t seen before, so you spend some time out of curiosity.

You pick up a weird looking plant and you start a 5 hrs quest (Crimson Nirnroot).

You see a weird contraption in roof. You use a specific dragon shout on it, it opens up a new area/quest.

This sort of exploration out of curiosity and getting rewarded is missing in a lot of open world games. I think Elden Ring / BOTW do it pretty well, but a little differently. Hopefully DD2 pulls this off well.
I clear a camp in ac origins and i see that huge piramid close to me and i decide to explore without a quest assigned, the fact that when i get close to the piramid i get an icon in the map change absolute nothing in term of exploration enjoyment or awe inducing factor, the icon doesn't tell me what enemies or loot i'm gonna find inside, same for the other 489589340589340834905 open world game i played, my exploration is always dictated by my curiosity and not because an icon tell me to explore.

Again, people idealize some games for doing what almost all open world games do.

I'm not even praising ac here, a game with a low metacritic like elex does the same.

P.s. skyrim also has streamlined fast travel, another classic in the mix of games ruined by fast travel...

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't think there always needs to be a specific tech reason why it can't be done. We have cases of games that released at 30 and got patched later because of popular demand, some times it's just not a focus during development. All I'm saying is, let's wait and see instead of people already starting the usual "Well you got a console, don't have any expectations whatsoever or get a PC" song and dance.
Well, to be perfectly fair, that's kinda how it goes.

Modern times, lazy devs, games are way more complicated to develop and you decide to play multiplatform games on a cheap 500 dollar box, you (not you specifically) can't cry for having shitty performances sometimes, people wanted to pay a low price for an hardware with a 7-10 years lifespan, this is the result, pc gaming is not perfect either but you can bruteforce a lot of bad ports into a way better state than console.
We know absolutely nothing.
We can guess tho, and since no other game has the npcs density\variety we saw in the trailer, it's probably safe to say that that is one of the reasons why we don't get 60 fps, not the only one of course.

You can think that all those npcs with different routines and probably advanced IA are free on the rendering budget, i don't.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I’m definitely not buying if it’s only 30fps on consoles. At least provide a 40fps option. That and the sound of the fast travel system have pretty me turned me away from the game. Elden Ring had instant fast travel and it didn’t cause any significant damage to the exploration and immersion of the game. Maybe I’ll try it out on a future PC one day for better frame rates.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Well, to be perfectly fair, that's kinda how it goes.
No, it's not. Unless you are also fine with broken PC ports with stuttering. "Well, that comes with the PC territory, what can ya do" As a customer you should have expectations regardless of where you play your games and developers should always do better, anything else is just the usual condescending forum attitude and the US vs THEM mentality.

GymWolf

No, it's not. Unless you are also fine with broken PC ports with stuttering. "Well, that comes with the PC territory, what can ya do" As a customer you should have expectations regardless of where you play your games and developers should always do better, anything else is just the usual condescending forum attitude and the US vs THEM mentality.
Yes it is, and i'm not fine with bad ports but i know how the real world work and that i'm not living in a fable, i never said that it was how it should go, i said that it's how it actually goes.

Your hope of high standards from every dev is a chimera dude, better be realistic and pessimistic than sorry.

I play on both consoles and pc so there is no me vs you, there is just reality, and the reality is that a beefy pc let you play better in many occasions, i'm not proud of it, i'm not happy that we are in this situation, and i don't condone lazy devs, i just see for what it is dude, i'm always the first one to call lazy devs even if i can play their games decently, it's not like i'm happy that console players play with bad performances, i'm not a child or a master race idiot, i'm just a realist.

I literally bought a powerfull pc because i knew that a console or a mid pc were not good enough for my high standards, you can't pay 500 dollars and expect to have the same performance of a dude who pay 2000+ dollars, excatly like a dude who buy a cheap fiat car doens't expect performances and reliability of a bmw.

We had bad performances in gaming since forever, it's time to give up on the situation changing anytime soon.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Yes it is, and i'm """"fine"""" with bad pc ports because i know how the real world work and that i'm not living in a fable.

Your hope of high standards from every dev is a chimera dude, better be realistic and pessimistic than sorry.

I play on both consoles and pc so there is no me vs you, there is just reality, and the reality is that a beefy pc let you play better in many occasions, i'm not proud of it, i'm not happy that we are in this situation, and i don't condone lazy devs, i just see for what it is dude, i'm always the first one to call lazy devs even if i can play their games decently, it's not like i'm happy that console players play with bad performances, i'm not a child or a master race idiot, i'm just a realist.

I literally bought a powerfull pc because i knew that a console or a mid pc were not good enough for my high standards, you can't pay 500 dollars and expect to have the same performance of a dude who pay 2000+ dollars, excatly like a dude who buy a cheap fiat car doens't expect performances and reliability of a bmw.
You claim you have high standards, but then you are also fine with shitty PC ports? That dosn't even make sense my man. Nobody expects a console to compete with a 2k PC, if you have one of those then you're probably looking at native 4k or 120fps. The car analogy is also off. Nobody expects the sun and all the stars in the sky, a 60fps mode is not an unrealistic expectation when 90% of games have had a 60fps mode. It's basically standard on consoles at this point.

GymWolf

You claim you have high standards, but then you are also fine with shitty PC ports? That dosn't even make sense my man. Nobody expects a console to compete with a 2k PC, if you have one of those then you're probably looking at native 4k or 120fps. The car analogy is also off. Nobody expects the sun and all the stars in the sky, a 60fps mode is not an unrealistic expectation when 90% of games have had a 60fps mode. It's basically standard on consoles at this point.
I edited my post multiple times because i realized that being fine with numeros wink wink was too subtle for some people to understand....

Why do i even try to write in my second language with some nuance if native english speaker ignores a word put between multiple fucking """""""", next time i'm gonna put a wink wink gif or something.

I'm not fine, i just know that they exist and i can't do nothing to change that, hope or messaging on a forum is not gonna change that dude.

Also lol at 90% of games having 60 frames mode when they usually aren't locked for shit except the 2-3 exclusives every year from sony or M (and sometimes not even that).

A 60 fps mode is only useful if it's locked imo, but i'm used to play on pc so that's me.

Gta 6 looks way more advanced than any other game in the market, it's time to accept the fact that a underpowered console is not gonna guarantee you 60 frame, next gen graphics and nextgen mechanics for 8 years straight.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I edited my post multiple times because i realized that being fine with numeros wink wink was too subtle for some people to understand....

Why do i even try to write in my second language with some nuance if native english speaker ignore a word put between multiple fucking """""""".

I'm not fine, i just know that they exist and i can't do nothing to change that, hope or messagin on a forum is not gonna change that dude.
I disagree. There have been many shitty ports on both console and PC that have been fixed because people complained. Acknowledging and discussing issues is the first step towards getting them resolved.

GymWolf

I disagree. There have been many shitty ports on both console and PC that have been fixed because people complained. Acknowledging and discussing issues is the first step towards getting them resolved.
We are in a forum so discussing this stuff is ok, i just don't think it's very useful because like i said, bad performance in gaming is a thing since forever, like really forever.

I just accepted that i prefer to buy a pc to bruteforce some bad ports than just accepting to play these games in a bad way and having no option whatsoever.

And fucking believe me dude, having a top tier pc make you bruteforce almost everything, i vastly enjoyed "broken" ports like hogwarts, re4 remake and many others way more than console players or people with mid pc (graphic and perf wise), coming from a pc that was roughly equivalent to a ps5, the difference was mindblowing in terms of being able to bruteforce shit (general bad performances are even more common than stutter)

Last edited:

GymWolf

A "20 minute Battle" just to defeat a random enemy encounter sounds like Shit Pacing to me.
You can disengage.

What the dude said is akin to fight enemies way beyond your level in any damn action rpg, you can engage and lose time or return when you are stronger and with better gear.

The only thing they have to fix is pawns actually following you when you escape instead of being retarded if they have bad ia traits.

And since the game try to emulate some aspects of MH, long ass fights are a plus for many people, nothing epic in defeating a dragon in 2 min except when you are super op in endgame.

Last edited:

CGNoire

You can disengage.

What the dude said is akin to fight enemies way beyond your level in any damn action rpg, you can engage and lose time or return when you are stronger and with better gear.

The only thing they have to fix is pawns actually following you when you escape instead of being retarded if they have bad ia traits.

And since the game try to emulate some aspects of MH, long ass fights are a plus for many people, nothing epic in defeating a dragon in 2 min except when you are super op in endgame.
Thats really cool they allow it but theres gotta be some sweet spot between 2-20mins.

GymWolf

Thats really cool they allow it but theres gotta be some sweet spot between 2-20mins.
But why the empathy emoticon reaction tho :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

You decide how long the battle is based on skill and equipment, they are not 20 min fixed, and knowing how ign dudes play games it's probably half the time if you have at least one hand without severe cramps (light cramps are ok).

Last edited:

CGNoire

But why the empathy emoticon reaction tho :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

You decide how long the battle is based on skill and equipment, they are not 20 min fixed, and knowing how ign dudes play games it's probably half the time if you have at least one hand without severe cramps (light cramps are ok).
I used the eye as "I hear ya" sometimes. This time it was in reference that they allow you to fight outside your level which is always the right design choose for these games.

Last edited:
I clear a camp in ac origins and i see that huge piramid close to me and i decide to explore without a quest assigned, the fact that when i get close to the piramid i get an icon in the map change absolute nothing in term of exploration enjoyment or awe inducing factor, the icon doesn't tell me what enemies or loot i'm gonna find inside, same for the other 489589340589340834905 open world game i played, my exploration is always dictated by my curiosity and not because an icon tell me to explore.

Again, people idealize some games for doing what almost all open world games do.

I'm not even praising ac here, a game with a low metacritic like elex does the same.

P.s. skyrim also has streamlined fast travel, another classic in the mix of games ruined by fast travel...
Finding pyramids in AC Origins is absolutely highlight of the game and is worth exploring immediately when you get close. They dont put many more such situations though.

If the game was build around finding and exploring a plethora of landmarks throughout the map, I would praise that as well.

Sentenza

Not saying in negative way. Skyrim’s exploration is pretty damn good
It's among the WORST in the entire genre. Bland, unengaging, unchallenging and diluted by the randomization/level scaling that made pretty much any achievement in the game fundamentally pointless.

Morrowind nailed it, on the other hand. At least when it comes to distances and travel.
It wasn't without its faults in other areas (like "signpost NPCs" that did virtually nothing and a dialogue system that for the 90% felt like browsing some Wiki with barely a handful of unique interactions for specific NPCs).

Last edited:

Sentenza

Ironically I always felt DD1 map was small.
Well, it was.
It's one of the smallest open world games out there, mostly because Capcom didn't have any confidence in giving the project a bigger budget at the time.

Most of what's praiseworthy about DD, aside for a good visual presentation, comes down to its excellent combat/monster design and some of the terrain morphology.
In terms of expansiveness, variety and quality of its quests the game didn't really amount to much.
It also had a pretty bizarre storyline, but most of what was remarkable about it came after the first canonical ending (leading to a second one).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Finding pyramids in AC Origins is absolutely highlight of the game and is worth exploring immediately when you get close. They dont put many more such situations though.

If the game was build around finding and exploring a plethora of landmarks throughout the map, I would praise that as well.
Latest 2 or 3 ac games have a mode where you can disable indications and make exploration more organic, it doesn't become elden ring all of a sudden but many people are unaware of this.

But yeah, the interesting things in ac games are few and too far between.

That better not be true!! Nooooo! That would seriously CRUSH me if that's the case. I've been so excited for this because FINALLY I'd be able to play Dragons Dogma at 60 fps ....the graphics are nice but not "amazing" so everyone's been thinking 60 fps...

This fucking generation man...these consoles are WEAK!!
It's not the consoles my man. There are plenty of gorgeous open world games running at 60FPS.

It's the engine/devs.

Gojiira

A "20 minute Battle" just to defeat a random enemy encounter sounds like Shit Pacing to me.
Sound like a casual…The Gryphon is a boss-type enemy,high level. It taking 20 mins to kill has nothing to do with pacing and everything to do with that players choices. They chose to travel through the open area which the Gryphon hunts in, they chose to camp, and chose to fight etc etc….Also worth noting if this game has the same level of interaction as the first,chances are you could have just thrown a Goblin to feed the Gryphon,or set it on fire to make it flee, likely this game will have more ways to interact…

StereoVsn

Like post on gaming forums? Please. If people truly have little time they can forego playing the game altogether and watching a high level no commentary playthrough of the whole game or a cutscene game movie. You'll save a whole lot of time that way.
Different folks have different presences in games. Things you find interesting others do not. So don’t make these generalizations.

Personally I hate backtracking. So with this push against fast travel and more importantly with Capcom’s latest shenanigans with DRM and statements against mods, I don’t see a need to pickup this game. Plenty of other games coming out.

If a game is interesting and designed well, you will never feel the urge to fast-travel. I played 100 hours of Skyrim and did not fast-travel a single time. I walked, rode a horse, or (rarely) hired a carraige. It felt wrong to skip the traversal in that game. I look forward to a similar experience here.

Last edited:

pepodmc_

Janky how? The gameplay was the star of the show. Responsive, intuitive, and a little ahead of its time with the ability to climb on monsters and target specific body parts. Attack a leg enough and the monster will fall over. Shit was dope. It has depth and nuance. Of all the complaints I've heard about Dragon's Dogma over the years, combat isn't one of them.
Theres people that say that DmC reboot has better gameplay than dmc3/4...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's among the WORST in the entire genre. Bland, unengaging, unchallenging and diluted by the randomization/level scaling that made pretty much any achievement in the game fundamentally pointless.

Morrowind nailed it, on the other hand. At least when it comes to distances and travel.
It wasn't without its faults in other areas (like "signpost NPCs" that did virtually nothing and a dialogue system that for the 90% felt like browsing some Wiki with barely a handful of unique interactions for specific NPCs).
Oh I agree 100%. Skyrim is by far the worst. You need to install a bunch of mods to liven things up and turn it into a more fun game instead of a slog where you just follow the blinking arrow at the top of the screen.

iCodec

Fast travel is usually available after you discover a place so you lose nothing in term of exploration and awe, you just lose going back and forward in the same zone with the same low level boring enemies (especially if enemy variety/ia is dogshit like the first game) and pawns saying the same shit over and over and over.

Nothing awe inspiring in that.

Also lmao at picking zelda or elden as examples when they both have streamlined fast travel.

You don't like fast travel? Don't use it.

Double lmao at thinking that having fast travel make level design or other shit worse...news flash, the game has fast travel, and if it get easier to use the more you play like the first game doesn't this defeat your theory? So the more you play the worse the game gets because you can fast travel more easily?

Hilarious.

P.s. this is without even considering the fact that you don't have mounts and they still have that bullshit stamina system during exploration so you have to stop to take a breath every 30 sec, there is nothing skillful or fun in stamina management during a fucking run in the woods (even worse when your pawn get you up from being tired all the time and develop bad ia traits)
He used the those games as examples when discussing exploration, not fast travel.

Am I the only one who watch the preview?

GymWolf

He used the those games as examples when discussing exploration, not fast travel.

Am I the only one who watch the preview?
People in here also use those games as examples because they are games that have good exploration and the point of was that fast travel doesn't really ruin exploration so it is all related.

Personally i don't really give a fuck about what ign has to say, i just watch their fkotage because they have the exclusive on the game.

Last edited:
What i am gathering is people want hardcore exploration features in their games.

But they don’t want to play hardcore exploration games like Minecraft, that have it supported with game feature set.

Instead they want that type of exploration shoehorned in noob game like Dragons Dogma 2. Its just sad.

Top Bottom