• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

xCobalt

Decided to start a new game and try some different classes. Can anyone spare a few port crystals? Don't feel like running all over the map again.

Dead

well not really...yet
I actually beat the game yesterday and started the everfall.

Fought the Drake and the Tentacle monster thingy, both were a cinch, but after I beat the drake, the room respawned with 2 chimearas and some hellhounds, omg complete disaster lol.

I started playing this after months, i just started it over again and i can't remember many things about the game. I would like to have a fighter character or such but does the classes have many different abilities? What i mean is, what about parrying etc.? Anything i need to know before i create my?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I haven't actually used the assassin yet... lol

they have parrying skills? man, that changes everything.

xCobalt

http://www.capcom.co.jp/DD-DA/

Anyone fluent in japanese? They uploaded some new information today. From what I can gathered based off of google translate, armor can be upgraded six times now and certain skills will have EX version (think Street Fighter...basically stronger moves) if you equip a ring?

Tizoc

I'm about to start playing this from my backlog so I'd like some tips please:
What's the best or most fun class to play the game with?
Any tips on how I should upgrade my character or their skills?
What're the best pawns and how can I get them?

xCobalt

Best class is probably Assassin and in terms of how fun, every class is enjoyable. My first run through was with assassin and it was pretty awesome climbing monsters and taking them down from there. Currently on my second run through as a Ranger and there are some pretty interesting things you can do such as using Oil Arrows to drench a monster in oil then switching to blast arrows and setting them on fire. I haven't had much experiences with spell casting classes but they have some awesome looking abilities.

In terms of character progression, each class has different stat growths. Some people like to min/max their characters by sticking to one class and then switch to their final class when they hit the level cap. For your first time through, just stick to one class you really enjoy. Every class also has passive abilities you can learn and can be applied to different classes...so every so often you may find yourself switching to learn a strong ability.

The pawns you hire should just round out your team. If you and your main pawn are damage dealers, you should hire someone who can tank and someone who can heal.

Tizoc

Ah so I should have one for offense and one for healing and long range then? Thanks for the info. I'm starting out as a Strider, mainly because of the name of the class reminding me of Strider Hiryu =P

xCobalt

Ah so I should have one for offense and one for healing and long range then? Thanks for the info. I'm starting out as a Strider, mainly because of the name of the class reminding me of Strider Hiryu =P

I bet its possible to make a character that looks like Strider too. I made my main pawn look pretty similar to Zangief and it had this skill where you spin in place with a large 2 handed weapon lol

Ken

Best class is assassin for their invisibility. At the same time abusing invisibility saps the fun out of the game so that's up to you.

Most fun class...I liked the Sword and Shield Fighter a lot, but I have a bias for the sword and board. Killing bosses like the hydra is a little difficult though since you don't have any skills you can use while mounted IIRC, unlike the Assassin who has both Dire Gouge and Hundred Kisses.

I think there's an unlimited amount Discipline Points you can earn in the game so don't worry about not having enough points to get every skill for your character.

Don't worry too much about best pawns since you should be switching them out every 3-5 levels anyways. Pawns at your level are free but go up in cost if they are higher level than you. Just get pawns with skills to fill in gaps in your party. For example, early on a healer might be helpful. If you're going into catacombs, someone with holy magic would help greatly. Generally though, fire is OP and works against almost everyone in the open world.

IT'S WEAK TO FIRE.

Evolved1

What happens to the gear and stuff a pawn is holding if they die?

I've been soloing lately... but I get encumbered and it's really annoying. So my thought is to hire some pawn on the road, fill them up with all my junk, and then throw them off a cliff.

haha

I'm hoping the stuff just goes to my storage... but I swear there was a time when I first started playing that I lost some equipment when a pawn got killed (dipshit fell into the water) and ever since I've been paranoid as hell letting them carry anything of import. Even my main.

I guess I could conduct an experiment, but that's a pain in the butt. Was hoping one of you guys would know.

I've been soloing lately... but I get encumbered and it's really annoying. So my thought is to hire some pawn on the road, fill them up with all my junk, and then throw them off a cliff.

haha

I'm hoping the stuff just goes to my storage... but I swear there was a time when I first started playing that I lost some equipment when a pawn got killed (dipshit fell into the water) and ever since I've been paranoid as hell letting them carry anything of import. Even my main.

I guess I could conduct an experiment, but that's a pain in the butt. Was hoping one of you guys would know.

It all goes to storage, not sure about the stuff your main pawn is carrying though.

Ken

haha

I think if you give a hired pawn stuff it's considered a gift, and if they die you couldn't get it back.

Main pawns though can act as a mule.

I'm missing the last two hairstyles... was that DLC?

I don't know what they are or why they're there. I have the one and only hair pack made available and it doesn't contain those two "placeholder" spots. I don't remember when they were added, either. They haven't always been there.

Evolved1

ok, thanks... i was just wondering. i was confused since i thought DA was going to be a totally separate game we have to buy, that it'd be kinda dumb to have these blank spaces on our original discs. i thought maybe i missed some DLC.

rando14

Just got this game today! So far it's great, I'm kinda just wandering around doing side quests and a bit of the main quest.

Am I supposed to be recycling pawns like crazy? Every few levels I have to cycle two out and get two new ones. Also is it just me or is there any reason NOT to have a fire mage? Fire seems to be everything's weak point...

Ken

Just got this game today! So far it's great, I'm kinda just wandering around doing side quests and a bit of the main quest.

Am I supposed to be recycling pawns like crazy? Every few levels I have to cycle two out and get two new ones. Also is it just me or is there any reason NOT to have a fire mage? Fire seems to be everything's weak point...

I like to swap out pawns every 3-5 levels because they don't level with you.

As for fire, sure.

Evolved1

The pawns are pretty annoying for me... so I don't even hire them and I throw my main pawn off a cliff at every opportunity.

Sometimes if I hit a difficulty spike, or if my current class makes it tough to solo (because many classes have zero defensive abilities and cannot block or evade at all, so stupid) I will take a pawn or two. But I try and get rid of them asap.

I like the idea of pawns, but I think Capcom kinda didn't do such a great job with them. They are spectacularly dumb and annoying (stop walking into me!!! ahhh! get out of my way) and their "learning" AI is quite annoying.

I would have much preferred a system that gave me some control over them as opposed to their complete autonomy... I think, ideally, it would have been nice to have a way to set their formation in the status menu. Be able to tell one to hang back, the others to flank or take a forward position, relative to the player, when entering combat. I also wish they weren't so damn fidgety. If I, the player, take a couple steps, stay where you are... you don't have to fucking run into my face every two seconds, christ.

I liked the idea of them, but after a while I just stopped using pawns...

don't disregard ice. some monsters are pretty free with it. i used to change pawns every 3-5 levels.

rando14

Damn, I'm trying to do the Tome quest where you fight the bandits in the south and they're kicking my ass. I try to go north and there are invisible lizards that kick my ass. Guess I'm stuck in Gran Soren :(

Evolved1

Damn, I'm trying to do the Tome quest where you fight the bandits in the south and they're kicking my ass. I try to go north and there are invisible lizards that kick my ass. Guess I'm stuck in Gran Soren :(

If bandits are a problem, you can travel at night and fight wolves and things instead... generally most groups of bandits will be replaced by something else at night. Not always, but generally.

rando14

If bandits are a problem, you can travel at night and fight wolves and things instead... generally most groups of bandits will be replaced by something else at night. Not always, but generally.

Thanks Ill try that. I heard that the bandits for the Troublesome tome quest won't attack you if your party is all female (Gamefaqs)? Lol

Evolved1

Thanks Ill try that. I heard that the bandits for the Troublesome tome quest won't attack you if your party is all female (Gamefaqs)? Lol

Hmm.. no... that's the all women bandit group up near the greatwall. You can walk among them, but if the bandit leader sees a male in your group, she and the rest of the camp will go hostile.

However, for the troublesome tome, if you can make it inside the encampment they wont attack and you can move about freely. No matter who is in your party. Only the bandits outside the hold will attack you.

Again, this is generally true. Big groups of bandits (who have a leader and are inside some structure) will usually let you be. It's the pricks outside you have to fight.

rando14

Hmm.. no... that's the all women bandit group up near the greatwall. You can walk among them, but if the bandit leader sees a male in your group, she and the rest of the camp will go hostile.

However, for the troublesome tome, if you can make it inside the encampment they wont attack and you can move about freely. No matter who is in your party. Only the bandits outside the hold will attack you.

Again, this is generally true. Big groups of bandits (who have a leader and are inside some structure) will usually let you be. It's the pricks outside you have to fight.

Thanks for your help evolved.

What do you guys recommend for ferrystones? I bought some from Fournival but he's out now. Also do enemies in this game scale to your level at all? I can swear that I just fought some bandits that were tougher than they were earlier in that location...

Evolved1

Thanks for your help evolved.

What do you guys recommend for ferrystones? I bought some from Fournival but he's out now. Also do enemies in this game scale to your level at all? I can swear that I just fought some bandits that were tougher than they were earlier in that location...

The enemies do not scale afaik, but there are harder enemies that will appear from time to time... depending on your progress in the story. And enemies are harder/easier in different areas.

So pretty much the further you get away from the beginning areas, the harder stuff gets, in my experience. But you can usually tell, for example how you fight wolves in the early parts, you will fight dire wolves later, or harpies will be snow harpies somewhere else, etc... stuff gets reskinned and they are harder. And then instead of easy goblins you'll see the big hobgoblins or whatever they are. Plus, the further you venture, the higher the likelihood of encountering big monsters like chimera and griffons...

Bandits actually are pretty much always hard... especially on hard mode... they can wipe you out pretty easily even when you're rolling over most everything else and feeling confident. No shame in getting worked over by bandits. Especially if it just you solo, or just you and your pawn.

Eventually you level out of any major difficulty. But the game still has a few tricks/surprises.

As for ferrystones, there are a few people that sell them. Blackcat shop guy has 'em... and some rich guy from the noble district sells them even cheaper (you might have to complete a task for him first) and do not forget that they will spawn in the center of the gran soren waystone... takes a couple/few weeks or something like that to spawn after you pick one up. But keep your eye open because you'll find them sitting there during your playthrough.

edit: oh yeah... that bandit camp/hold you visited for the troublesome tome quest... if you go down to the small dock at the back of the hold, there's a ferrystone sitting on a boat. And iirc there's also a wakestone shard somewhere near the top of that place... and the Wyrmward Perfume you will need for a gran soren notice board quest is also in one of the chests in that place.

I don't know what they are or why they're there. I have the one and only hair pack made available and it doesn't contain those two "placeholder" spots. I don't remember when they were added, either. They haven't always been there.

maybe we'll see them with Dark Arisen.

Those two hairstyles are in the newest DLC; one is pigtails like Selene and I can't remember what the other is. You also get some new ring.

Anteater

Upgrades to existing skills in Dark Arisen:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/185/G018553/20130301092/

003a0u2d.jpg

005ctup0.jpg

008l2u1q.jpg

010lnuwt.jpg

0123hu0p.jpg

014etu5s.jpg

Rikyfree

Thinking of getting this game, so I have a question: I love loot games and dungeon diving, but I'm not a fan of controller throwing rage inducing difficulty (I can hold my own in them like KZ2 elite and NG) would this game be for me?

Thinking of getting this game, so I have a question: I love loot games and dungeon diving, but I'm not a fan of controller throwing rage inducing difficulty (I can hold my own in them like KZ2 elite and NG) would this game be for me?

Normal difficulty starts out perfectly balanced and starts to shift towards the easy side about halfway through the game. Hard difficulty starts out quite difficult and, again, gets easy about halfway through. Your character becomes really powerful in this game, and I feel it's still worthwhile even when the difficulty drops off. I definitely recommend it. You won't be throwing your controller in rage over anything I can think of.

Anteater

Wait for Dark Arisen for people that's thinking of playing this :p

If you've beaten kz2 elite and NG then this game is on the easy side, the "hard" part of the game was at the beginning where enemies does too much damage, everything else are pretty much what you expect from other action games where everything are mostly blockable/avoidable if you pay attention.

rando14

Is there only one port crystal in the regular game? I just beat the griffin and got one but I heard there are only more in ng+ ...

Top Bottom