• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

6E9j8.jpg

the only way to kill these assholes right now. i have to lure them somewhere, else they go berserk and homing dropkick me for 100% life.

Be careful, the Ogre can bust through that wall sometimes. Surprised the hell out of me when it did that!

sublimit

Banned
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/11/sony-hosting-dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-fan-event-in-japan/
Sony Hosting Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen Fan Event In Japan
Capcom and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan are teaming up to give Dragon’s Dogma fans a first chance to play the expansion pack Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen. Attendees will also get some swag like a Dragon’s Dogma tumbler, tote bag, and a PlayCommunity smartphone charger for showing up.

The event takes place on February 10 and if you’re in Japan you can sign up for a chance to attend the PlayCommunity demo here. What’s interesting is Microsoft traditionally held events for Capcom games in Japan. The Capcom X Microsoft event held in February 2012 featured Dragon’s Dogma and of course other Capcom games for people to try. Recently, it seems like SCEJ’s PlayCommunity division is helping Capcom promote their titles in Japan. PlayCommunity held a DmC event back in November. DmC comes out next week. Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen doesn’t have a specific release date.
image95.png

Ken

FTFY

If you are an action gamer at all the DMC blood really shows through when you play assassin.
Fav class hands down ...

and WOOT Dark Arisen. Gonna tear that DLC a new one.

I haven't touched any of the magic classes yet so I didn't want to say that with certainty, but I suppose there's little that can best stuff like invisibility, a roll (so hard to play any other class without a roll), and hundred kisses.

Coming to this thread makes me wanna play DD again..

I kinda wanna start a new game...
++

I haven't touched any of the mage classes either..

There are explosive barrels across the mine you can :
-use them to destroy your ennemies.
-be grabbed by an ennemy and be throw at one ( it's VERY painfull )

actually, i lured the troll in the catacombs to a corner with barrels and let my mage blast them. it worked. I've never seen his health drop faster. took over 50% of his HP.

Coming to this thread makes me wanna play DD again..

I kinda wanna start a new game...
++

I haven't touched any of the mage classes either..

try hard mode with a fresh guy. one hit deaths can be annoying, but it's not too bad.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I haven't touched any of the magic classes yet so I didn't want to say that with certainty, but I suppose there's little that can best stuff like invisibility, a roll (so hard to play any other class without a roll), and hundred kisses.

Dire Gouge... Intimate Gambit .... Clairvoyance

The triumvirate of "You are now a seasoned killer" sword skills. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Would you guys be interested in a DD screenshot thread?

That's my favorite part of the game, and I love seeing other people's screens.

I feel like they are too mixed into the thread here.

Man, after playing Dark Souls on the PC with all the bells and whistles enabled, it's been really hard for me to go back to console-level graphics...

It's even worse for Dragon's Dogma - low-res textures, object and ESPECIALLY NPC pop-in, those horribly pixelated shadows... It blows my mind how much better the game could look with a proper PC port, and actually affects my ability to play the game.

Dammit, Capcom! Making me sad here....

Ken

So bored of fighting Ur Dragon offline. ;_;

Wish they had more large monster encounters on the scale of Ur Dragon (but not just an old monster with a palette and scale swap).

Damn. Just now seeing about this game. Is it anything like Dark Souls and/or Skyrim?
It shares some things in common with them (the fantasy bent, the large connected worlds), but the comparisons really end there.

Dragon's Dogma's combat stands in a class of its own. The grabbing system alone elevates it above any other action RPG on the market - it's really the first RPG that really nails the feeling of downing big huge monsters when you're a puny little human.

As far as the world goes, it's fairly generic western medieval fantasy but is fairly well-executed, with its own odd sort of identity (almost all the monsters are variations of popular mythological creatures, very little in the way of originality here). The nights in particular are unlike anything else, as they're pretty much pitch-black and require you to navigate by lantern light. Can be pretty harrowing at times, especially at lower levels when you just don't have the strength to contend with the stronger creatures out there.

The character creation is excellent, easily on par with the best out there. You of course can adjust your character's facial features, but it goes well beyond that, with the game letting you change your character's body proportions and such in absurd detail (I made a female character with an androgynous face, ambiguous figure and high muscle definition, something I never really see in video games even as an option).

You have tons of options for customizing your character's playstyle, with the ability to choose between 9 classes, a fairly large movelist for every one, and passives that you can mix and match between classes. It goes well beyond Dark Souls and especially beyond Skyrim in that regard, especially thanks to the ability to switch classes freely. You're never locked down in one role.

The pawn system is also unique among RPGs. You create your own pawn (with the same ridiculously robust character creation as your main character) and then hire two other pawns made by other players who will aide you in your quest with knowledge and combat experience. It's quite a compelling system, especially when you see other players have rented your pawn and have rated them in terms of appearance, combat effectiveness, and helpfulness.

Damn, excuse me for the wall of text. Can't help it. I love this game to death and really wish more people would get into it.

I should note that there are some annoyances. Little-to-no fast-travel, so expect a lot of walking. Static spawns, so eventually you learn all there is to know about the landscape (though Dark Souls has this same issue). Carry weight is a factor, requiring lots of inventory management if you happen to pick stuff up on impulse. The crafting system can be a bit convoluted (LOTS of ingredients and potential products). There are technical issues (frame rate dips, terrible shadows, low resolution textures, some screen tearing on the 360 version). Your pawns will never shut up. The game gets easy towards the end due to how high the stat gains get. The story stays in the background until the end.

If these things don't bother you, you're set for one of the greatest action RPGs to ever grace this console generation. There really is nothing else out there that can sell the experience of fighting big monsters like this one can.

J-Roderton

It shares some things in common with them (the fantasy bent, the large connected worlds), but the comparisons really end there.

Dragon's Dogma's combat stands in a class of its own. The grabbing system alone elevates it above any other action RPG on the market - it's really the first RPG that really nails the feeling of downing big huge monsters when you're a puny little human.

As far as the world goes, it's fairly generic western medieval fantasy but is fairly well-executed, with its own odd sort of identity (almost all the monsters are variations of popular mythological creatures, very little in the way of originality here). The nights in particular are unlike anything else, as they're pretty much pitch-black and require you to navigate by lantern light. Can be pretty harrowing at times, especially at lower levels when you just don't have the strength to contend with the stronger creatures out there.

The character creation is excellent, easily on par with the best out there. You of course can adjust your character's facial features, but it goes well beyond that, with the game letting you change your character's body proportions and such in absurd detail (I made a female character with an androgynous face, ambiguous figure and high muscle definition, something I never really see in video games even as an option).

You have tons of options for customizing your character's playstyle, with the ability to choose between 9 classes, a fairly large movelist for every one, and passives that you can mix and match between classes. It goes well beyond Dark Souls and especially beyond Skyrim in that regard, especially thanks to the ability to switch classes freely. You're never locked down in one role.

The pawn system is also unique among RPGs. You create your own pawn (with the same ridiculously robust character creation as your main character) and then hire two other pawns made by other players who will aide you in your quest with knowledge and combat experience. It's quite a compelling system, especially when you see other players have rented your pawn and have rated them in terms of appearance, combat effectiveness, and helpfulness.

Damn, excuse me for the wall of text. Can't help it. I love this game to death and really wish more people would get into it.

I should note that there are some annoyances. Little-to-no fast-travel, so expect a lot of walking. Static spawns, so eventually you learn all there is to know about the landscape (though Dark Souls has this same issue). Carry weight is a factor, requiring lots of inventory management if you happen to pick stuff up on impulse. The crafting system can be a bit convoluted (LOTS of ingredients and potential products). There are technical issues (frame rate dips, terrible shadows, low resolution textures, some screen tearing on the 360 version). Your pawns will never shut up. The game gets easy towards the end due to how high the stat gains get. The story stays in the background until the end.

If these things don't bother you, you're set for one of the greatest action RPGs to ever grace this console generation. There really is nothing else out there that can sell the experience of fighting big monsters like this one can.

Sounds good then. I need some kind of RPG to tide me over when not getting into Dark Souls. Glad you can customize a bit with the characters. Nighttime sounds awesome, by the way.

Xevren

If you really wanted, you could follow the Dragon's Dogma board over on Gamefaqs and keep track of the health of the Ur-Dragon. Once it goes down it has a grace period where you can just go in and only have to hit it a few times and get some loot. Or maybe just ask people here for the items you want, that could work too.

Ken

If you really wanted, you could follow the Dragon's Dogma board over on Gamefaqs and keep track of the health of the Ur-Dragon. Once it goes down it has a grace period where you can just go in and only have to hit it a few times and get some loot. Or maybe just ask people here for the items you want, that could work too.

How long is the grace period?

Xevren

Maybe 20-30 minutes.

Just know that sometimes you may run into a more difficult version that could take more time to kill. So just bring a lot of curatives.

Ken

Sword and shield skills on the assassin feel like they could be a whole separate "Duelist" class. Also wish there were stronger human bandit enemies, or stuff like rebel soldiers and knights roaming about.

Warrior is soooo slow. In the time it takes to fully charge Arc of Deliverance, an assassin would have killed the boss. Not really enjoying the class. Going to try fighter next.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Sword and shield skills on the assassin feel like they could be a whole separate "Duelist" class. Also wish there were stronger human bandit enemies, or stuff like rebel soldiers and knights roaming about.

Warrior is soooo slow. In the time it takes to fully charge Arc of Deliverance, an assassin would have killed the boss. Not really enjoying the class. Going to try fighter next.

It's slow, but the heft is actually the fun part imo. The main problem with warrior is only three skills when they should have let you equip six. Give you more variety. Three is just too few.

sublimit

Banned

I thought Fighter was a much better balanced class than Warrior.I played almost all of my first playthrough as a Fighter and i had a blast.

Anteater

Fighter just doesn't have too many redeeming skills compare to advance/hybrid classes. I played through the entire game as fighter on my first playthrough and the lack of range and having to climb sucks, their shield sucks too. The last ability they get is just an automated melee combo I think. Assassin and Mystic Knight is superior and fighter is only good as a starter class.

Mazre

If they do a sequel they definitely need a way for you to give pawns suggestions. Just did the griffon and my pawns basically refused to use fire on it, or to cast fire affinity on me. Was absolutely ridiculous. I think the best part was on the way to the tower when they shouted "Snow Harpies!" and proceeded to enchant my weapons with ice. Those two are getting kicked to the curb at the next available rift stone.

Also "Come" apparently means stand in a hail of arrows and "Help" means stand around scratching yourself.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
If they do a sequel they definitely need a way for you to give pawns suggestions. Just did the griffon and my pawns basically refused to use fire on it, or to cast fire affinity on me. Was absolutely ridiculous. I think the best part was on the way to the tower when they shouted "Snow Harpies!" and proceeded to enchant my weapons with ice. Those two are getting kicked to the curb at the next available rift stone.

Also "Come" apparently means stand in a hail of arrows and "Help" means stand around scratching yourself.

The commands need work, true, but if you've got pawns ill-equipped for the mission at hand then its really on you.

Like if you were to take a bunch of fighter/warriors and stroll into a place that you know is loaded with phantasms then who's really to blame? For mages, you really have to make sure that they have the skills you need and none of the skills that would waste a slot or make your fight harder (like going into an indoors area with a sorcerer that has that whirlwind ability... you'll be fighting blind)

Pakkidis

Fighter just doesn't have too many redeeming skills compare to advance/hybrid classes. I played through the entire game as fighter on my first playthrough and the lack of range and having to climb sucks, their shield sucks too. The last ability they get is just an automated melee combo I think. Assassin and Mystic Knight is superior and fighter is only good as a starter class.

Kinda agree, I played fighter and switched to Mystic Knight to try out. I found the Mystic Knight to realiant on shield which I rarely used, plus his skills relied more on mage than strength, so I didn't find it too useful.

I already decided my next playthrough is strider than assassin.

pawns start out clueless. you have to seek out experienced pawns if that's bothering you. sometimes you can find tactics scrolls for griffins, ogres etc. in treasure boxes. their inclination is the other part.

klee123

Personally I think Dragon's Maw is the best skill in the entire game. The damage output, speed, knock back and interrupt properties and most importantly, the invincibility frames pretty much makes it the best skill in my opinion.

Ken

My biggest problems with the Everfall is that
all the chambers are the same 3 maps. I would have loved to see it reflect one of the pawn comments that the Everfall is a tree and the dungeons are leaves or parts of the world (my interpretation). So, each dungeon takes place in a different environment. Think the Nexus in Demon's Souls. Also, would love some way for the game to indicate which dungeons have been cleared of chests and which haven't.

My biggest problems with the Everfall is that
all the chambers are the same 3 maps. I would have loved to see it reflect one of the pawn comments that the Everfall is a tree and the dungeons are leaves or parts of the world (my interpretation). So, each dungeon takes place in a different environment. Think the Nexus in Demon's Souls. Also, would love some way for the game to indicate which dungeons have been cleared of chests and which haven't.

I would love a way to get to the specific room you want without that awful falling thing.

i don't get you all i completed this game 2 times and each time i got the character i wanted ( dutchess, merchant girl , witch ).
yes there are 3 girls but you can have 2 lovers ( i think it was a bug but both girls were at my house with max affinity)

No way i'm gonna have some dude as a love interest.
(even if my arisen is female )

Top Bottom