• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

D3 sure delivers on the apeshit quotient.

I'm not sure it does. The first part of the game is crude and pretty funny, but it's pretty predictable and standard after that.

There might have been a lot of hype when the game was initially announced, but when screenshots started to come out a couple of days later, the hype died down considerably. I remember it well.

I just wanted a good story and characters. Or maybe if it had stayed crazy and wacky instead of falling apart after branch A. If the game had delivered there I would have been satisfied. I suppose Nier messed up my expectations before playing this game.

So I need help in beating chapter 2 verse 6. I'm trying to take down the four towers. For some stupid reason I'm having trouble w that, I've tried spamming fire blast and even the homing blast. I keep dying sooner and sooner with each try

So I need help in beating chapter 2 verse 6. I'm trying to take down the four towers. For some stupid reason I'm having trouble w that, I've tried spamming fire blast and even the homing blast. I keep dying sooner and sooner with each try
If it's trouble with the turrets that shoot at you during that sequence, be sure to use the homing shots as you're approaching each tower. They'll get in the way of you trying to destroy the towers if you leave them still standing. Once they're out of the way, just keep spamming regular attacks at the tower and keep your cursor on the target. It only took me on my second try to get them taken out quickly.

Does Mikhail do more damage when he evolves or when you level up? I just replayed that mission to get a trophy and was surprised at how quickly everything died.

If it's trouble with the turrets that shoot at you during that sequence, be sure to use the homing shots as you're approaching each tower. They'll get in the way of you trying to destroy the towers if you leave them still standing. Once they're out of the way, just keep spamming regular attacks at the tower and keep your cursor on the target. It only took me on my second try to get them taken out quickly.

Thanks. I got the turrets under control, but didn't realize I had to shoot that pink target lol. I was just blindly shooting into the tower <_>

Astarte

What, I was never hyped for Drakengard 3!

I went expecting cheesy graphics and broken gameplay since the first screenshots were laughable in terms of graphics. It is made by Deadly Premonition devs so I didn't expect anything more other than a enjoyable B-movie type of game.

What I got was a surprisingly better game. And I think is just more interesting and fun than LR which I think is the worst story I ever played in a Japanese game.

I knew quite a lot of Drakengard fans who were fueled by infinite rocketships of hype, even when the screenshots came out. I enjoyed LR more because I didn't go "Oh man, let's see this EXPOSITION on these characters! I am so interested in learning about this game's backstory!"

There might have been a lot of hype when the game was initially announced, but when screenshots started to come out a couple of days later, the hype died down considerably. I remember it well.

I recall people dismissing the graphics complaints and stating that the story, characters, and music were what made the series (which I agreed with). The Drakengard series doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look great either.

Groof

Still haven't started playing this yet, because of sudden business but also semi waiting for a patch so we in EU can use the Japanese VO.
Getting sort of antsy now though

Tohsaka

Finally managed to finish Branch D after failing a bunch of times, though the video that was linked helped quite a bit for the last stretch. Overall I enjoyed the game, but I agree with what others said in that the sisters really needed more of a backstory. I'm going to read the novella and finish getting the last few trophies tomorrow, hopefully.

Still haven't started playing this yet, because of sudden business but also semi waiting for a patch so we in EU can use the Japanese VO.
Getting sort of antsy now though

I'm stuck in the same holding pattern re: the Japanese VO. Reading that it might work if you install it by going into the in-game DLC menu to get it rather than straight off the store, though responses on that are mixed. I might give it a go anyway. Getting really impatient to start playing now, it was the whole reason for preordering it in the first place.

Have Square Enix Europe actually acknowledged there's a problem yet?

Groof

I'm stuck in the same holding pattern re: the Japanese VO. Reading that it might work if you install it by going into the in-game DLC menu to get it rather than straight off the store, though responses on that are mixed. I might give it a go anyway. Getting really impatient to start playing now, it was the whole reason for preordering it in the first place.

Have Square Enix Europe actually acknowledged there's a problem yet?
I guess there's no harm in trying that, but it would suck to spend all that time downloading it just to find out it doesn't work. I hope we get word on it soon, though...

HeelPower

You know what?

This is far better than Lightning Returns. Who care about all that graphics and visuals if the story and game is terrible, right?

Drakengard 3 is just a better game overall.

Absolutely not ?

This is game is absolute garbage in every regard and not just graphically.

I mean who could actually praise the writing or characters in this game ? Is this juvenile writing supposed to be "funny" ?

The music is good in this game but that means "zero" overall.

This is one of the worst games of the generation to be sure and far worse than LR.

I knew quite a lot of Drakengard fans who were fueled by infinite rocketships of hype, even when the screenshots came out. I enjoyed LR more because I didn't go "Oh man, let's see this EXPOSITION on these characters! I am so interested in learning about this game's backstory!"

I recall people dismissing the graphics complaints and stating that the story, characters, and music were what made the series (which I agreed with). The Drakengard series doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look great either.

I think a game itself does not get better or worse depending on the level of hype it gets. Your personal perception of the game might change, yeah, but that's really subjective and has nothing to do with the game, but rather with how much you let yourself get hyped based on pre-release material.

Plus, I really do not get Parkeetman's complaints. Please let's not pretend as if the predecessors have offered great gameplay or fully realized potential. While Drakengard 1 is a very interesting experience, there are A LOT of missed opportunities. Take the odd pacing or the extremely flat characters for instance. I really don't understand what 'fans have been waiting for since 9 years' as each game of the series was unlike the other. D1, D2, Nier - all different, at least tone-wise. D3 is no exception. The only consistency in the series is the fact that you kill a lot of things and that the games look like shit.

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense. Games like Drakengard 3 always get irrational love from me simply because they are so bizarre and their existence itself is a miracle.

RyoonZ

Banned
Dat Final boss, yeah I don't think I'm able to beat it. I always screwed up at minute 6 and my heart beats a lot when doing this, yeah nope I gave up.

Given that I love Nier and regard it as one of my favorite games of all time; will I enjoy this?

It's not a given. It's nowhere near as good as Nier, especially in terms of writing or music. I loved Nier and didn't much care for this one. Nier is kind of the outlier when it comes to this franchise.

Dat Final boss, yeah I don't think I'm able to beat it. I always screwed up at minute 6 and my heart beats a lot when doing this, yeah nope I gave up.
Did you try using that youtube video linked earlier in the thread?

RyoonZ

Banned
It's not a given. It's nowhere near as good as Nier, especially in terms of writing or music. I loved Nier and didn't much care for this one. Nier is kind of the outlier when it comes to this franchise.

Did you try using that youtube video linked earlier in the thread?

Yeah :/

Guiberu

Disappointing. I felt the need to play something as epic and enthralling as Nier.

Might just have to play Nier...again.

Please stop pushing away people of the game.

I loved Nier ( my best game of the gen ) and i really enjoy Drakengard 3.

If you know what to expect of this game, you will like it.

Guiberu

Please stop pushing away people of the game.

I loved Nier ( my best game of the gen ) and i really enjoy Drakengard 3.

If you know what to expect of this game, you will like it.

Can you give me a breakdown of what to expect? I know very little about the game and I've not played the two prior.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Given that I love Nier and regard it as one of my favorite games of all time; will I enjoy this?

This game is more run from point A to point B type of gameplay design.

The story is nowhere near as well done same goes for the characters due to the poor writing. The music is indeed good in its own ways though.

Guiberu

Yeah, story and soundtrack were pretty big factors.

Emotional resonance. Everything felt as though it has purpose and impact.

The battles were more than just fighting to win, they had reprocussions and meaning.

The exploration and "grunt" fighting were acceptably playable and not tiring/boring.

I liked being led down an intricate path and shown exactly what that world had to offer. Warts and all.

Parakeetman

Yeah, story and soundtrack were pretty big factors.

Emotional resonance. Everything felt as though it has purpose and impact.

The battles were more than just fighting to win, they had reprocussions and meaning.

The exploration and "grunt" fighting were acceptably playable and not tiring/boring.

I liked being led down an intricate path and shown exactly what that world had to offer. Warts and all.

This game is just a halfassed mess truthfully, its why if you really want to play it dont go in at full price. Since to find out more about the sisters you would be tempted to pick up the DLC which there are 6 of. Though I dont know how the US / west is doing the pricing on them. In Japan its 6 pieces for around 5.70 USD each.

This game is just a halfassed mess truthfully, its why if you really want to play it dont go in at full price. Since to find out more about the sisters you would be tempted to pick up the DLC which there are 6 of. Though I dont know how the US / west is doing the pricing on them. In Japan its 6 pieces for around 5.70 USD each.

It's really tiring to see that you jump at every attempt to keep people away from this game just because it did not live up to your expectations.

This is not to say that you are wrong and that your perception of the game is not valid in its own right, but shoving it down our throats is not going to make it more 'right'. There are plenty of people who bought it full price and enjoy it a lot.

It's really tiring to see that you jump at every attempt to keep people away from this game just because it did not live up to your expectations.

This is not to say that you are wrong and that your perception of the game is not valid in its own right, but shoving it down our throats is not going to make it more 'right'. There are plenty of people who bought it full price and enjoy it a lot.

Someone asks for impressions of the game, he responds. People are allowed to criticize games in OTs, learn to deal with it. There are few things worse in GAF than people trying to turn threads into insular places of positivity.

Someone asks for impressions of the game, he responds. People are allowed to criticize games in OTs, learn to deal with it. There are few things worse in GAF than people trying to turn threads into insular places of positivity.

That's not the point. I know myself that there are very negative aspects about D3 which are worth pointing out.

It's just about the way he expresses his opinion and the frequency which rubs me the wrong way as if there is no redeeming quality or as if everyone should avoid this game at all costs. I don't think that's right.

Parakeetman

That's not the point. I know myself that there are very negative aspects about D3 which are worth pointing out.

It's just about the way he expresses his opinion and the frequency which rubs me the wrong way as if there is no redeeming quality or as if everyone should avoid this game at all costs. I don't think that's right.

Its called telling it like it is. Game sure as hell isnt to be considered on the same lines of Nier in any sort of aspect. Nier was an adventure, not a perfect one but an adventure non the less with a great cast.

This game on the other hand when the novelty wears off it becomes just a slog which makes you wonder when will it end and if it gets any better. Which unfortunately does not happen.

Other member asked if they liked Nier if they would enjoy this game I answered as someone that also enjoyed Nier. If someone still wants to buy the game they are more than free to, but I sure as hell aint going to fill them up with bullshit about the title. Know what you are wading into. You dont go telling people to go throw down full price on something half baked just because you like it and they "might". That sure as hell isnt reason enough to have a fellow member throw down their hard earned money on a title. You tell them like it is and they decide. As I said before, folks want to buy it aint gonna stop them. But if they ask for thoughts on it no holding back.

Its called telling it like it is. Game sure as hell isnt to be considered on the same lines of Nier in any sort of aspect. Nier was an adventure, not a perfect one but an adventure non the less with a great cast.

This game on the other hand when the novelty wears off it becomes just a slog which makes you wonder when will it end and if it gets any better. Which unfortunately does not happen.

Bolded part: This is my problem with your posts.

You tell them how it is for you, but you seem to mistake that for an objective truth and your posts reflect that.

This is not to say that postings expressing an opinion should involve an IMO after each sentence. However, the wording should reflect that the poster acknowledges that other opinions are possible and equally valid in their own right. This is something your postings lack.

Bolded part: This is my problem with your posts.

You tell them how it is for you, but you seem to mistake that for an objective truth and your posts reflect that.

This is not to say that postings expressing an opinion should involve an IMO after each sentence. However, the wording should reflect that the poster acknowledges that other opinions are possible and equally valid in their own right. This is something your postings lack.

This is ridiculous. Are you really derailing a thread because you don't think someone is putting enough qualifiers on their opinions?

Reknoc

If you don't like people saying bad things about it just try and counter it with a good opinion. Though good luck with that when someone wants to compare it with Nier. Which is understandable but probably a little unfair.

Despite its warts and all it's still likely one of my favourite things S-E has released since Nier, but that says a lot less about Drakengard 3 sadly.

Oh, and the music isn't that good, other than the boss fights which I love, disappointing. Didn't like its version of Growing Wings either.

This is ridiculous. Are you really derailing a thread because you don't think someone is putting enough qualifiers on their opinions?

No, it's clearly not about 'qualifiers', read again.

Nvm, this discussion is getting nowhere. Feel free to post what you like.

If you don't like people saying bad things about it just try and counter it with a good opinion. Though good luck with that when someone wants to compare it with Nier. Which is understandable but probably a little unfair.

It's not Nier 2 and it was clear from the beginning. Again, this was not the point.

t1gerjaw

I agree 100% with you. It's like the dude made it a personal quest or something.

cj_iwakura

It's because he's stating his opinions as fact and almost belittling people. 'I told you all not to buy it' isn't an opinion. It's getting tiresome.

Parakeetman

Btw what exactly is the problem the folks in the EU seem to be having with the DLC JP voices? Asides from what appears to be it not working. I had thought the stuff was supposed to included as a code for those who pre-ordered?

Shito

Btw what exactly is the problem the folks in the EU seem to be having with the DLC JP voices? Asides from what appears to be it not working. I had thought the stuff was supposed to included as a code for those who pre-ordered?
You can buy it on the store. For 5€.
I did, and I still can't use it.
I wonder at what point Sony is going to chime in on this, because it can't be good for them to allow the purchase of something you can't use. ^^

Parakeetman

You can buy it on the store. For 5€.
I did, and I still can't use it.
I wonder at what point Sony is going to chime in on this, because it can't be good for them to allow the purchase of something you can't use. ^^

really? man thats no good. :/ just did a quick search and no official word yet on it. another friend has contacted me asking about this so figured would ask you EU players at GAF who are more well connected with whats going on currently. hope it gets resolved soon since id imagine that was one of the reasons that you folks went and pre-ordered eh?

Shito

I didn't preorder (because I was lazy ^^), and didn't follow that all japanese voices DLC too much because it seemed quite complicated and obtuse for what it was, so I don't know if the ones who preordered got a code for the japanese voices DLC.
All I did was see the DLC when buying the game, and decided to buy it alongside to play the game in japanese. Mistakes happen, so I'm not too mad about it, it's just that for the moment I can't say Square-Enix or Sony are handling the problem very well, if at all...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Damn, it's that bad huh? What a shame, I was considering checking it out eventually.

Given who made this game, expecting it to please everyone was simply never a likely outcome!

Its not just that its Yoko Taro directing, its a game by Access who made Deadly Premonition... its a pedigree that practically screams divisive as hell!

My collector's edition came in yesterday, just in time for my birthday tomorrow. Took I bit longer since it had to ship to Canada. Glad to see it make it in one piece. I was slightly worried after hearing how much trouble some people have had with digital river. Plan to start the game tonight once the remaining DLC is finished downloading.

Dragoshi1

The game has its problems, but I am REALLY satisfied with the game so far. Absolutely hilarious, killing everything is fun, Mikhail ground to air portions are fun, the only negatives I have are the spirit enemies are a PAIN to fight, and the game has locked up a couple of times.

Aside from that, loving it.

Alright, all weapon stories unlocked, as well as those last few Accord Requests. Other than that one trophy for getting every perfect bonus in the on rails Mikhail section, I've pretty much done everything I need to with this game.

Top Bottom