• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

The DLC is available on the EU store now, but they still don't seem to have issued a patch for the JP voice DLC issue. Does anyone know if the other DLC works and it's just the voices? I'm on the verge of giving up and playing it dubbed anyway, especially considering they half-assed the JP audio anyway by not having the option for the DLC.

Are these prologue episodes best to be played before the main game or after?

john tv

The DLC is available on the EU store now, but they still don't seem to have issued a patch for the JP voice DLC issue. Does anyone know if the other DLC works and it's just the voices? I'm on the verge of giving up and playing it dubbed anyway, especially considering they half-assed the JP audio anyway by not having the option for the DLC.

Are these prologue episodes best to be played before the main game or after?
You can't play them until you finish the game at least once. Probably slightly more enjoyable after seeing all the endings, but definitely not a requirement.

Xenoflare

Does anyone has a list on which Accord requests grant you weapons?

Also the 3 chest quests gets really dumb as the harder ones unlock. Does the attack power of the weapon affect how many hits to open the chests?

Got to the final boss
of Branch D FUUUUUUUCK lol its actually pretty fun but the lack of checkpoints pisses me off seeing as though I cant skip the stupid flower intro emerging scene.

I can manage to get to two regularly but then fuck up. Put about an hour in thus far, I can do it!....hopefully....

EDIT: 5 hours later...I DID IT!
I FUCKING DID IT! ADRENALIN!

Christhor

Just beat Two's DLC chapter. One's was pretty disappointing, but this one blew me away. It started out pretty slow, but the final verse was amazing. Definitely hope the others are as good as this one.

Yazuka

I just have to ask since this is driving me crazy. I've just started to play the game and it's pretty nice so far.
But what the hell have they done with the audio-compression on the movies? It sounds like they are talking out of tin-cans! Is this something that everyone experiences?
The normal game audio is fine, but as soon as a movie or cut-in comes on, its hello tin-cans again. =/

Wagram

If you figure it out, be sure to post your spoiler-tagged methodology to save someone from ulcers.

I made it to the very last note once in the black screen and then choked on it. It's been many hours since and I can't get too it. The 7x notes then the 1x single gap is really hard for me.

Astarte

I made it to the very last note once in the black screen and then choked on it. It's been many hours since and I can't get too it. The 7x notes then the 1x single gap is really hard for me.

Alternate buttons. I use triangle and R1, thumb and index finger in an alternating pattern. It really helps keep the rhythm.

Wagram

Alternate buttons. I use triangle and R1, thumb and index finger in an alternating pattern. It really helps keep the rhythm.

Any tips on that specific part I posted? I dunno if in my mind I lose track but I always mess up there. I will try your method later on.

Astarte

Any tips on that specific part I posted? I dunno if in my mind I lose track but I always mess up there. I will try your method later on.

If you're still having trouble with the timing and are willing to go down to a cheat sheet (video) then here it is. Syncing the video can be trying at times, though.

I don't recall a 7x pause 1x (I don't think that there even is a 7x pause 1x), but I do recall the 6x pause 1x. If you do alternate fingers, it should be easy. Just 3 repeats of trianglexR1, pause for a bit and continue on with your bad self. If you still can't continue using that technique, try to press on a dpad button to fill the void of the missing note. The D pad does not count as a registered button during the rhythm segment, so you can use that to fill in the gaps.

I do have to say though, listening to Mikhail die during the final note is so frustrating

Wagram

If you're still having trouble with the timing and are willing to go down to a cheat sheet (video) then here it is. Syncing the video can be trying at times, though.

I don't recall a 7x pause 1x (I don't think that there even is a 7x pause 1x), but I do recall the 6x pause 1x. If you do alternate fingers, it should be easy. Just 3 repeats of trianglexR1, pause for a bit and continue on with your bad self. If you still can't continue using that technique, try to press on a dpad button to fill the void of the missing note. The D pad does not count as a registered button during the rhythm segment, so you can use that to fill in the gaps.

I do have to say though, listening to Mikhail die during the final note is so frustrating

Oh good god. I've been counting to 7 that entire time and then 8! UGH

Xenoflare

I just have to ask since this is driving me crazy. I've just started to play the game and it's pretty nice so far.
But what the hell have they done with the audio-compression on the movies? It sounds like they are talking out of tin-cans! Is this something that everyone experiences?
The normal game audio is fine, but as soon as a movie or cut-in comes on, its hello tin-cans again. =/

It might have something to do with Bink video.

I used this video (yes I cheated out lol) It can be very trying at times to sync up but my synching strategy was at the intro unpausable cutscene I would pause then unpuase my vid (which I downloaded due to inherent youtube lag) until it finally syncs up, you fail instantly and know if your not synced in the beginning which is better than getting 70% done to realize your half a second off.

I'm now grinding to the platinum, sigh. three quests for Pay day quest is annoying.

It has something to do with the PS3 audio settings. I entered the PS3 audio menu and turned off 5.1 mixing (one of the first options afair) since I use regular tv speakers anyway. The game's sound was fine afterwards.

Wagram

Beat it in one try today. Thanks for the advice!

The main issue I had was posted above. I was counting to 7 then stopping short for the final 8th. But it was really 6 and then 7. Once I mastered that the rest was cake. I'll be lying if I said I wasn't shaking like crazy in that black screen. haha

Yazuka

It has something to do with the PS3 audio settings. I entered the PS3 audio menu and turned off 5.1 mixing (one of the first options afair) since I use regular tv speakers anyway. The game's sound was fine afterwards.

YES! YES!! THANK YOU!
As soon as I turned that off everything was fine in the cutscenes.
A strange problem to even get, but I'm glad it was easily fixed.

I used this video (yes I cheated out lol) It can be very trying at times to sync up but my synching strategy was at the intro unpausable cutscene I would pause then unpuase my vid (which I downloaded due to inherent youtube lag) until it finally syncs up, you fail instantly and know if your not synced in the beginning which is better than getting 70% done to realize your half a second off.

I'm now grinding to the platinum, sigh. three quests for Pay day quest is annoying.
Wow had I known about that video I could have saved a couple hours of frustration. Oh well, I think I feel it was more of an accomplishment getting through it with nothing but skill and a stopwatch xD

Finished the game today. It was okay, I guess.

Do the DLC missions have any good story bits or am I better off cracking open my CE novel?

Anyone know the localization team behind this game, or was it SE's in house team? Despite some flaws this was seriously one of the most enjoyable english dub's in recent memory.

cj_iwakura

Finished the game today. It was okay, I guess.

Do the DLC missions have any good story bits or am I better off cracking open my CE novel?

Anyone know the localization team behind this game, or was it SE's in house team? Despite some flaws this was seriously one of the most enjoyable english dub's in recent memory.

Do SE even have an in-house team? It was 8-4. And I love Dito's dub. He is amazing.

Xenoflare

Heh, so we got Yosuke, Mitsuru, and Akihiko all in one team, with support from Liquid Snake.

That reminds me, do people have sources for the English VA yet? I remember the wiki credits Michelle Ruff for One, but after playing the whole game I'm not so sure anymore, she almost sounds like Litchi (Lauren Landa).

and apparently Decad is Cam Clarke instead of Jamieson Price, I swear I can hear the papa Nier in his voice, but I could be wrong.

Can we play as other characters? I want to play a male. I never got over the Caim feel. I miss his character. He was cooler than both sequel main characters.

Also the weapons in the first game were so great. I love how many there were.

Also loved how they would change look each time you leveled them up. I made my own fun side game of trying to figure out how each weapon design changed each level. But sadly that was removed in the second game.

Drakengard 1 was my fav game on the PS2.

Xenoflare

Can we play as other characters? I want to play a male. I never got over the Caim feel. I miss his character. He was cooler than both sequel main characters.

Also the weapons in the first game were so great. I love how many there were.

Also loved how they would change look each time you leveled them up. I made my own fun side game of trying to figure out how each weapon design changed each level. But sadly that was removed in the second game.

Drakengard 1 was my fav game on the PS2.

Girls only. You can play as the sisters for $6 each, or $30 in a bundle. You cannot obtain One's DLC if you bought them separately.

That reminds me, do people have sources for the English VA yet? I remember the wiki credits Michelle Ruff for One, but after playing the whole game I'm not so sure anymore, she almost sounds like Litchi (Lauren Landa).

and apparently Decad is Cam Clarke instead of Jamieson Price, I swear I can hear the papa Nier in his voice, but I could be wrong.

This would be your best bet but its incomplete. If you notice in the credit most of the English VA's names weren't even present in the game for some reason or another (most likely due to voice acting group regulations)

Xenoflare

This would be your best bet but its incomplete. If you notice in the credit most of the English VA's names weren't even present in the game for some reason or another (most likely due to voice acting group regulations)

I never understood this policy. I guess this is the drawbacks of unions. Smaller projects gets shafted when it comes to crediting.

Finally beat the
Final Song today
feels good man.

Again, as I've said earlier. The localization/voice acting is fantastic. If only the lip-sync of the cutscenes can be redone to match the English language.....

Xenoflare

BTW, a few things that puzzled me.

Why are the disciples following Zero when the time frame doesn't make sense? Why does she has all her disciples in Branch B,C,D? How did Two die in Branch D?

ALSO MASSIVE SPOILER BELOW

This game is also guilty of false advertising as the prequel of Drakengard 1, but according to Taro Yoko, none of the endings in D3 connects to D1, in the original Drakengard, the Intoners never existed. But it seems like the power of the flower stuck around, as in one of the loading screen blurbs, the power of song uses energy from multiple worlds, this also might be a hint of the relations between the flower and the Queen beast in DOD1

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Ok, done with path A & B, starting C soon. The game is the worse I played in this generation, but perv enough to keep me interested in moving on. I just hope it takes me somewhere a bit less convulted by the end...

Wagram

Platinumed it earlier, but I still need to run through the DLC and read the novella novel.

Overall I really enjoyed it. It's not perfect, and it's definitely not for the average consumer. You need to have an appreciation for mature storytelling, over gameplay because that's what Drakengard is.

7/10 for me mainly due to frame rate issues (which actually wasn't bad with patch 1.02) I wish SE had given them a larger budget, but hell i'm glad we got it at all. Bring on Drakengard 4!

I also finished the game a few days ago and it is my GOTY for sure. Superb art direction and soundtrack.

What I found most striking was my attitude towards Zero: At first I really hated her but the more you know storywise, the more you grow fond of her. At least that's what happened to me. It's imo kinda close to Nier in the sense that there is a small but important story detail which makes you reconsider your opinion about certain aspects. I love that about both games quite a lot and I find that to be an important message in its own right.

Has anyone beaten Book Club: Discipline? That's probably the most difficult and the only one I have left (well, excluding the survival challenges). By the time I destroy the second chest, I have less than 10 sec's to reach and destroy the last one at my best.

And I don't have Infinite Intoner Outfit

EDIT:

Wow, I just completed it, if anyone else has trouble, I recommend using Final Knell (spear). Use the Square, spam Triangle combo, as she does a "trillion stabs (DmC reference)" type attack. Works really well.

Baust

Just started One's DLC for the first time. I noticed something kinda cool, not sure if I'm right about it though.

MINOR ONE DLC SPOILER:
Is that Mona Marshall voicing Gabriella? She did Angelus' voice in the original Drakengard. I feel like it sounds really similar.

Xenoflare

Just started One's DLC for the first time. I noticed something kinda cool, not sure if I'm right about it though.

MINOR ONE DLC SPOILER:
Is that Mona Marshall voicing Gabriella? She did Angelus' voice in the original Drakengard. I feel like it sounds really similar.

Yes, that's her.

PLATINUMED! :) After completing the game 100% I can stand by my appreciation of the title as yet another unique Taro game. I ultimately might feel a stronger connection to the tale of Nier and it's characters but DOD3 was a compelling story to me nonetheless, well worth the money and time.

Anywho I have a question about the title of the platinum trophy:
Coda
I. Hear. A. Sound.

Am I missing some reference lol? It may be late at night but I cant draw any conclusions to this trophy's meaning..anyone know?

Edit: Oh this makes sense.

Astarte

PLATINUMED! :) After completing the game 100% I can stand by my appreciation of the title as yet another unique Taro game. I ultimately might feel a stronger connection to the tale of Nier and it's characters but DOD3 was a compelling story to me nonetheless, well worth the money and time.

Anywho I have a question about the title of the platinum trophy:
Coda
I. Hear. A. Sound.

Am I missing some reference lol? It may be late at night but I cant draw any conclusions to this trophy's meaning..anyone know?

It's a drakengard 1 reference/Nier reference. Namely people who were infected by the grotesquerie queen's white salt hear bells in the distance. More specifically, ending E of drakengard is the sound you hear until you descend into madness. There is a researcher journal in Nier that begins with a researcher being calm and normal, but eventually starts hearing something. At the end of the entries, the journal concludes with I. Hear. A. Sound.

It's a drakengard 1 reference/Nier reference. Namely people who were infected by the grotesquerie queen's white salt hear bells in the distance. More specifically, ending E of drakengard is the sound you hear until you descend into madness. There is a researcher journal in Nier that begins with a researcher being calm and normal, but eventually starts hearing something. At the end of the entries, the journal concludes with I. Hear. A. Sound.

WOW no way!? Now that you mention I do recall that similar journal entry! One helluva a tieback/reference! I love how connected but all too infinitely incoherent Taro's multiverse is becoming haha.

Have we come to any conclusions on which branch leads directly into DOD1 or is the prevailing theory that none of Zero's actions as a singularity bears branches that tie into DOD1/Nier?

Anywho thanks for clarifying that for me!

I never understood this policy. I guess this is the drawbacks of unions. Smaller projects gets shafted when it comes to crediting.

Finally beat the
Final Song today
feels good man.

Again, as I've said earlier. The localization/voice acting is fantastic. If only the lip-sync of the cutscenes can be redone to match the English language.....

By the way here's a more complete version of the apparent English cast. (Be warned its on a wiki page so careful for spoilers if you haven't completed the game)

Top Bottom