• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast Coming Back 2009

Hellraizah

U.2.K. Tha Greate$t said:
9 million at the end of 2004?

Whats wrong with that? Thats pretty good. I mean, it might be like half of them gone, but why dont you think they might come back once they actually see more games?

Yall keep looking at the issue from trying to battle the next generation systems, but i aint trying to do that. I' just wanna bring out more games, to keep the dreamcast kicking and to make sega fans happy, so they can continue to look foward to something.

4 million or 3 million is all i need, str up. I think i really can do this , really. I wish a hardcore sega fan was on this forum, but i guess i'm all by myself.

159.gif
I'm a huge Sega fan. And, if what you say is true, yes I will support it, you can count me in.

But, you gotta prove your point, you can't come on a forum, declare that you'll bring back Dreamcast in "2009" and say nothing else. Were you really expecting someone to believe you ? Do you know how many times that silly shit happens on GameFaqs ?

Of course, you said that you will have a GTA type game spawning over 4 discs, and bla bla bla, heck, you probably even got a good idea of what that game should look like. Problem is, you don't show any pictures, because from what you said, development on that title hasn't even started yet.

It doesn't matter what you say, how old you are, how many tattoos you got, from where you are, your intentions, we don't give a fuck. You promise you're gonna do what nobody expects can happen, without any proof or logical explanations, and you expect someone here to stand behind you, blindly, saying : "We believe in you."

That's not how it happens in the real world, I wish you the best of luck changing that real world, and releasing some stuff for Dreamcast, I would be the first in line to buy it. But I won't pre-order vaporware.

bdoughty

Banned
9 million at the end of 2004?

Whats wrong with that? Thats pretty good. I mean, it might be like half of them gone, but why dont you think they might come back once they actually see more games?

Yall keep looking at the issue from trying to battle the next generation systems, but i aint trying to do that. I' just wanna bring out more games, to keep the dreamcast kicking and to make sega fans happy, so they can continue to look foward to something.

4 million or 3 million is all i need, str up. I think i really can do this , really. I wish a hardcore sega fan was on this forum, but i guess i'm all by myself.

159.gif

Well I should not do this because I hate to give you a leg up on Sony and Microsoft. If you want access to a LARGE amount of hardcore Sega gamers who are "in the know" when it comes to the industry - HERE is the place.

There is a world of difference between "Sega fan" and "U2K games on Sega's 10 year old hardware fan".

If Sega isn't making new games for the Dreamcast, what's there to look forward to? We can get GTA clones aplenty, and with better graphics/gameplay, on newer consoles.

bdoughty

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
If Sega isn't making new games for the Dreamcast, what's there to look forward to?
]

Well Duh! Plus it is a budget game so it works out nicely for us all.

Yea how this game got a sequel is beyond anything I can come up with right now. God bless you Activision and your budget line of gaming. You are persistant if anything. Jay seems excited...

Jay Mccollum: 5/17/05
HOPE ITLL BE BETTER
"Than the other game American Choppers which has 2 long missions and horrible gamplay so they need some major changes if I will buy it

str up, yo. bling bling n all that.

Have you developed a single game before? Do you have any idea how to take initial funding (you need at least $1 million to pull this off), plan and produce the game till final release? From the sound of your total ignorance of game development process/cost and retail awareness, I'd say NO.

But for our sake, *please* don't let any of this negativity stop you. Go ahead and pursue your dream (after your saving the world part) and come back here in 2009 and let us know just what an absolute failure you will be.

Seriously, you're fucking stupid. Gawd, I already feel stupid by replying to this stupid thread.

Chittagong

Gold Member
gettergooey said:
str up, yo. bling bling n all that.

Have you developed a single game before? Do you have any idea how to take initial funding (you need at least $1 million to pull this off), plan and produce the game till final release? From the sound of your total ignorance of game development process/cost and retail awareness, I'd say NO.

But for our sake, *please* don't let any of this negativity stop you. Go ahead and pursue your dream (after your saving the world part) and come back here in 2009 and let us know just what an absolute failure you will be.

Seriously, you're fucking stupid. Gawd, I already feel stupid by replying to this stupid thread.

You can't take a joke, can you?

Sho Nuff

Banned
#2. If someone has great ideas, and bring the right deal to the table, why wouldnt they do it, unless they have a problem with sega or some type of personal issue was risen up. I understand what you getting at tho, dreamcast been dead since 2002, so whats the point right? But again, i know how to talk to people so i hope its all good.

Hey man I got ur back. I'm in a group called Funky Finger Productions and we were making a game that is kind of like Quake but u play as a lion. Its called PRIMAL HUNT and we were gonna make it on the DS but nintendo wouldn't publish it for us. we can get some dc dev kits EASY and port it stat. Send me a PM if u want more details ok?

You can't take a joke, can you?

I don't think he's a joke character. Do a Google search on his username. If he's a joke character, he's pretty prolific.

http://forums.gamedaily.com/index.php?showtopic=84807&pid=1514664&st=0&#entry1514664

This is my 37th message board that i post on, i was posting on 41, but left some of them early today and aint going back. I found this site in google searching for something dirty Dont ask.

Anyway, short profile.

23/male/ born in russia, married = her name angel, 26 born in london, no children.
8 cats, 2 rabbits, we enjoy dressing our pets in custom made clothes, they sleep in custom made beds, with tiny pilliows, its off the hook.

12 Tattoos, 3 cars, 3 places to lived. I have one place in paris, and one in downtown new york city. Dont ask why, mostly business reasons.

I have plans to change the world in the near future, i love to brag about this, and people get mad at me because i have been talking about it, since what, 2000 and in 2002 i hinted at how people was gonna see me, but something got in the way, and i couldnt do it. Nevertheless, its stilll on, so when you see a guy:

Wearing all blue, 12 tattoos, a huge u2k chain on, a cat in my left hand, and a soda in my right hand, thats me

Computer Specs: Windows 98 SE, 600MHZ, 512Megs of ram, ATI RADEON 7000 64MB PCI.

360 pc GAames. , xbox, n64, psone, dreamcast.

I run my own board, its about abandonware gaming, and i run my site too, but its not finsh yet, but should be finsh soon.

peace.

If he's telling the truth, this is what happens when white trash wins the lottery.

Nobody still didnt answer my question.

How much support from the fan base do i really need?

If those numbers are correct, 9 million + fans at the end of 2004. Thats perfect, it may not be the best, but 9 million can pull in alot of money to help continue any project. Thats what last year figures, well i am pretty sure those figures has drop by now, i say its still over 4 million dc fans , hardcore fans still left around. Might be more then that, if not counting the united states. Might be over 2 million in japan right now, infact i think it is.

So if i can pull this off, and just focus on bringing out more games for the dreamcast, in game stores and online stores, and get the right support and have around 3 - 5 million happy sega fans, then i guess its all good.

My main focus is to just bring out some great games on the dreamcast, thats it. In terms of gameplay and style, i can bring out better games then say ps2 and xbox 1 , even test those newer systems, but i aint trying to battle with them.

The graphics on the dreamcast might be old style, but anyone with common sense can see that about 90% of all dc games look good. All because something is dated, does not mean that they look bad. Dreamcast is old so what, the hardware is old, so what, but the graphics and games still is great.

SOF II is dated, but people still playing that, hell its like over 10,000 people playing half life. And what year did half-life come out?

I prove my point.

The Sega Genesis had upwards of 30 million systems sold in the U.S. alone, why don't you make games for that? You could sell your games to over 3 times as many people, and that's 3 times as many Sega fans you could make happy.

SOF II is dated, but people still playing that, hell its like over 10,000 people playing half life. And what year did half-life come out?

1998, one year before the Dreamcast.

I forget what your point was. Was it that a game that managed to sell 4 million copies across its lifetime is only played by 10,000 people in 2005? Cause that's the point you proved.

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
The Sega Genesis had upwards of 30 million systems sold in the U.S. alone, why don't you make games for that? You could sell your games to over 3 times as many people, and that's 3 times as many Sega fans you could make happy.

I heard a rumor that cartridge's cost more money, so its easy to deal with cds or GD-ROMS. Infact i have this mag call: The Next Generation, the first issue, with mario on the front cover , and it talks about the cartridge isses and how people like to use cds better.

I'm a genesis fan, but what i could do is, just bring out alot of 2d games for the dreamcast as well. Add that to the project, you see what i'm saying. Instead of going the cartridge route. I always wanted to play another version of vector man and gunstar heros. :)

I always learn not to pass judgement on something or on someone. Even tho the idea may be great, it sounds a little too far out , you know on the net and stuff. So i understand where people coming from, by not believing me, and thats cool. I got plans, we all have plans, so if you get into some type of position in this world where you can do something great, by all means do it.

And thats what i'm gonna do.

Peace, just label me a GAMESPY RIDAH

:D

Nah i be on gamespy alot, and my forum and site(which is not finsh btw) is base on abandonware multiplayer gaming, i host games with ips and by using gamespy and stuff, and so will the members. So i consider myself a " Gamespy Ridah ". I luv gamespy, even tho what people may not be aware of , is that it has malware in it. Nothing serious, but its there. :lol

Syb

4 million or 3 million is all i need, str up.

You do know the above figures are 4,000,000 and 3,000,000, each 3,999,999 and 2,999,999 more then 1. Do you know how many games break that mark? Not that much. ;)

You'd be lucky to reach the 50,000 Mark WW.

Sho Nuff

Banned
:D
Nah i be on gamespy alot, and my forum and site(which is not finsh btw) is base on abandonware multiplayer gaming, i host games with ips and by using gamespy and stuff, and so will the members. So i consider myself a " Gamespy Ridah ". I luv gamespy, even tho what people may not be aware of , is that it has malware in it. Nothing serious, but its there. :lol

Seriously dude we have an amazing game in the works, we would love to develop for u. I have some concept art if you:re interested in seeing it :D

Dreamcast 4 LIFE
Aint nuttin but a Dreamcast baybee

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nobody still didnt answer my question.

How much support from the fan base do i really need?

If those numbers are correct, 9 million + fans at the end of 2004. Thats perfect, it may not be the best, but 9 million can pull in alot of money to help continue any project. Thats what last year figures, well i am pretty sure those figures has drop by now, i say its still over 4 million dc fans , hardcore fans still left around. Might be more then that, if not counting the united states. Might be over 2 million in japan right now, infact i think it is.

So if i can pull this off, and just focus on bringing out more games for the dreamcast, in game stores and online stores, and get the right support and have around 3 - 5 million happy sega fans, then i guess its all good.

My main focus is to just bring out some great games on the dreamcast, thats it. In terms of gameplay and style, i can bring out better games then say ps2 and xbox 1 , even test those newer systems, but i aint trying to battle with them.

The graphics on the dreamcast might be old style, but anyone with common sense can see that about 90% of all dc games look good. All because something is dated, does not mean that they look bad. Dreamcast is old so what, the hardware is old, so what, but the graphics and games still is great.

I prove my point.

Ok, since you've put so much effort in building this character and it's history, let's play along.

Usually, successful games sell , say, 5% of installed base. Some times even 10% when the game is a massive hit. For a typical case, let's say 1% of installed base. You can actually dig up some NPD numbers to get this ratio correct, but I'd believe I'm not too far.

With the 9 million Dreamcasts, this would be 450.000 - 900.000 sales for the biggest sellers and 90.000 sales for typical case

Now, let's be optimistic and say that 50% of those devices are still in use, although not supported in three years, and that the users would be indeed interested to buy games for Dreamcast, not PS3, PS2, Xbox or Xbox 360. Not to speak of Revolution. Let's be optimistic for the sake of it.

This means that 4.5 million Dreamcasts would be the addressable installed base. Hence, your biggest sellers would be selling 225.000 - 450.000 copies each and regular games 45.000 copies each worldwide.

Now, you want to do a game of the scope of GTA, you say, spanning multiple discs? Let's assume you get the most efficient, multitalented guys in the industry, and you need only a team of 30 people. You pay them 50Keur / year each, a real steal. Slavery almost. They manage to finish the game in 1.5 years, a record time. That is 2.25 million Keur. Factor in housing costs, equipment and mandatory hr expenses, and you'll be at 4 Meur, the cheapest big game ever!

Now you need marketing. A rule of thumb could be that what you use for publishing, use the same for marketing. So 4Meur be it. It will be tough to get a worldwide recognition for that money, but let's assume that you have an excellent, targeted and highly effective campaign.

It's time to start selling games to wholesale, then! You set your MSRP to a hefty 39.99 eur, since you will provide good value yet you aren't cutting edge. Say Sega is generous and will take you only a small platform fee, 3 eur per game. Your channel wants a margin of 25 eur per game to get shelf space for this platform, you are a good negotiator. That leaves you with 40 - 25 - 3 = 12 eur margin per game.

Now your game is a great hit and you sell the high scenario, 450.000 copies. That gives you 450.000 pc * 12 eur / pc in revenue = 5.400.000 eur. That's a lot of money, isn't it!

Well, let's see. You spent 8 Meur. Your wildest success scenario gained you 5.4 Meur. You made a monumental loss of 2.6 Meur on one project only. Way to go!

This was the top success case. Now return to the above calculation. Look at every optimistic assumption I made and change that for neutral or pessimistic. Ouch.

There is no business being done with Dreamcast for a reason, you see. There is no smoke when there is no fire. You think nobody has thought of it before.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This guy is a blast, oh my god. He heard a rumour that carts cost more than CDs and verified by Next Gen mag. He's got "a huge u2k chain on, a cat in my left hand, and a soda in my right hand". He enjoys "dressing our pets in custom made clothes, they sleep in custom made beds, with tiny pilliows, its off the hook." He's bringing Dreamcast back with a few million of Russian pimp money.

:lol :lol :lol

But in a world where Reirom is real, you just never know!

Polari

:lol

One of the funniest threads ever. This guy must have been born into money, because unless they've started paying for DUMB by the pound, he's shit out of luck when it comes to the job market.

Anyanka

I think this guy might have Asperger's Syndrome. It'd explain the obsession with Sega and the strange & repetitive social skills.

I haven't laughed this hard in ages.

EDIT: Wait, he has digs in major cities for his shady business deals, yet only has a P3-600 w/ Radeon 7000? Perfect! It's like he's a sort of lovable pimp who really, really loves computers and games in a totally clueless way, and has a soft heart under that tattooed, crack-dealing, import-whoring exterior! Awwww! I smell HBO special!

White Man

Anyanka said:
I think this guy might have Asperger's Syndrome. It'd explain the obsession with Sega and the strange & repetitive social skills.

Jeez, who here doesn't have Asperger's Syndrome?

Now when do the next sales numbers come out?

User 406

Banned
marmot.jpg

Pepe the Gulf Marmot says,
"Remember kids, never eat lead-based paint. Ask your parents what kind of paint is good to eat."

Flo_Evans

um fuck the DC.... I love(ed) it to, but GD let it rest!

now if you where to start a campain for SEGA to release a home version of their new arcade board, you may get a little more support and less :rolleyes:

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Jesus, I'm having a really difficult time trying not to laugh out loud here in my cubicle. This shit is too comical for words.

Top Bottom