• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast Coming Back 2009

Jeffahn

dark10x said:
That's pretty weak, Lazy...

535840_20050107_screen001.jpg

[Leon]Wtf is with them low polys?

vortal_pic_13964.jpg

VROOOOOOOOOOM
927245_20050622_screen001.jpg

vortal_pic_20515.jpg

Again, you sure all those raindrops in MGS2 are particles?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know, if there were any chance of these guys being funded and serious, they'd probably be better off making GameCube titles. The competitors are fleeing and the Sonic fans are there...

DavidDayton said:
You know, if there were any chance of these guys being funded and serious, they'd probably be better off making GameCube titles. The competitors are fleeing and the Sonic fans are there...

And this page as well is off to a hilarious start!

Dalamar86

Havent really figure out the hardware issues tho, i really doubt sega would want to make more dreamcast systems, so i guess those who dont have one is well out of luck hahahahhaah. Maybe something else might change on that issuse tho, all i know all my friends has a dreamcast, i got 3 of them. So i'm str.

They need to make more? I'm pretty sure they have a warehouse somewhere with some outrageous number of overmanufactured consoles they would almost be willing to give away.

This is one fantastic thread btw. :lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i cant wait for the dreamcast revival

and i know atleast 3 million others that will buy this.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Tempy said:
Maybe in soviet russia you make quality games for under a million dollar, but in the civilized world (where most of us don't wrap our pets up) it costs a bit of money.....

IN SOVIET RUSSIA GAME MAKES YOU

vortal_pic_13964.jpg

I like how Sonic's unchanged running animation makes it appear that he's about to slam forward into the steps and likely break 15 bones in his pithy body.

Hell if anyone knows, but they sure were above and beyond anything I saw on the DC, sans the DC fanmonkey glasses of course.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jeffahn said:

Yep, I've proven it.

Don't believe it? Document of MGS2. Buy it and find out. Pause the cutscenes at anytime and move the camera where you please. If there is one game you can't doubt, it's that. :D Boy, you sure picked the wrong game to question!

I mean, obviously, the Dreamcast is a milltion trillion times more powerful...but still...

The dreamcast had a huge fanbase, infact sega had a very huge fanbase. Infact i still have this game mag, gaming monthly or something like that, orange cover 9/9/99 dreamcast. And see what happen was, that alot of sega fans was worry because of all the bs that happen with sega in the past, so alot of sega fans gave up, but then they came back when the dreamcast finally did come out and millions of millions of fans was happy about that, but..........

THEN

It happen again, 3rd parties companies was leaving the dreamcast once again, and sega was fu**ing up again, no streets of rage, no nights 2, no burning rangers , ugh everything was going down hill once again, only those hardcore sega fans was hanging on, and i was one of them :lol. And thats the real reason why the dreamcast didnt make it.

So what i wanna do and have plans to do is, bring something good for the sega fans. History will not repeat itself when this project takes off. I will make it my ambition to continue and continue to bring out more games. So once i do actually sit down with sega, i have alot of ideas to do this.

Its gonna take time, but i have 500 games in mind for the dreamcast. Once sega fans and hardcore sega fans and other lost sega fans know and understand that the dreamcast can look forward to alot of games for many years to come, everyone will come crawling back.

And in the united states and over in japan and elsewhere , each game we put out will sell good enough so we can continue on. I dont see nothing wrong with the idea, even tho its gonna be harder and more complex then it sounds, but i got big plans and i hope everything works out for the best.

If you think about it, its a good idea, so why all the hating. Does it all sound to far out, yes it does , but again its not impossible.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
This has to be the greatest gaming thread ever. It rivals some of crazy stuff over on the OT board! I wish it could be posted over there for more laughs from the OT crowd.

I can't believe this nut actually has a wife.

lastly, let this fool squander away all his (supposed) riches! More power to him :lol

Okay, since he seems to be taking this seriously...

1) Who will make these "500 games"?
2) Why would a developer choose to make a game for the Dreamcast?
3) How will you handle distribution of these software titles?

JackFrost2012 said:
Okay, since he seems to be taking this seriously...

1) Who will make these "500 games"?
2) Why would a developer choose to make a game for the Dreamcast?
3) How will you handle distribution of these software titles?

#1 Well i want sega to be involved of course, would be glad to see another streets of rage game, even tho spike out for xbox(14.99) has been very good to me. :D I also want sega to make the GTA game which i'm talking about. The GTA style game i plan on making it better then the main GTA games thats already out now. Its gonna be dc graphics, but i really wanna iron out those flaws in the cop mode, the cop mode is not very good in the gta games. The police wont even help me when i am getting my ass whoop in the game. I'm like, " HELP ME" and if they get shot, they run :lol

Of course its gonna be a GTA clone, but a good one. And sega makes some of the best games, so if done right, the game i have in mind will be a 4disc set, 2 large cites on one disc and 2 other large cites on the second disc. Dvd Box Cover, abilty to create your own character and lots more. I wanted accliam to do some games, but you know what happen to them. I want alot of companies to be involved. 500 games is alot of games, this will spread over the years , i want 5 great top AAA titles to get release first tho. 3 Action games, 2 racers.

#2. If someone has great ideas, and bring the right deal to the table, why wouldnt they do it, unless they have a problem with sega or some type of personal issue was risen up. I understand what you getting at tho, dreamcast been dead since 2002, so whats the point right? But again, i know how to talk to people so i hope its all good.

#3. I dont , thats why others will take care of that for me. I am just the idea behind the games or the money man or the root to all of this. I chose the dreamcast to bring back because it died to early and i think it has great potential to make a decent come back.

dark10x

Infact i still have this game mag, gaming monthly or something like that, orange cover 9/9/99 dreamcast.

Wow, so do I. In fact, I have every issue of ODCM including the original promo release that was never actually on sale (simply given away) as a test.

Of course, it seems that I actually hate the DC simply because I don't think THE HARDWARE ITSELF has any reason to see new games. :barfy rolleyes:

Well i want sega to be involved of course, would be glad to see another streets of rage game, even tho spike out for xbox(14.99)

Interesting. I bought Spike Out on THE VERY FIRST DAY for $29.99. I bought REZ for $50 and I did the same for so many other Sega games. I kept the faith. Oh, but I must hate Sega. :more barfy rolleyes:

The GTA style game i plan on making it better then the main GTA games thats already out now. Its gonna be dc graphics

DC graphics? It would look WORSE if it were created by the same team. No questions.

And sega makes some of the best games, so if done right, the game i have in mind will be a 4disc set

4 disc set? Who the hell wants 4 discs in the age of DVDs? Not me. Why would Sega even make such a game? Why would Sega make any games for you? Why are you allowing your joke character to consume you?

I understand what you getting at tho, dreamcast been dead since 2002, so whats the point right? But again, i know how to talk to people so i hope its all good.

Based on this thread? You do not know how to talk to people.

So, who is going to restart the process of DC manufacturing? Where are these plants? Who will actually distribute this system? How are you going to convince any developer to join you? Let's hear some actual plans here.

This thread is fun, though. I mean, it's obvious that you are either joking around or are mentally ill...but it's been a good time regardless.

BTW - I have forwarded several of your posts onto Sega themselves just for shits. Wonder if they'll give me a response?

callous

Well, despite my intense skepticism, I wish you luck with the project. If nothing else, I hope you have fun trying to do something you really want to do.

I'd buy new Dreamcast games if they were good.

dark10x said:
Wow, so do I. In fact, I have every issue of ODCM including the original promo release that was never actually on sale (simply given away) as a test.

Of course, it seems that I actually hate the DC simply because I don't think THE HARDWARE ITSELF has any reason to see new games. :barfy rolleyes:

Interesting. I bought Spike Out on THE VERY FIRST DAY for $29.99. I bought REZ for $50 and I did the same for so many other Sega games. I kept the faith. Oh, but I must hate Sega. :more barfy rolleyes:

DC graphics? It would look WORSE if it were created by the same team. No questions.

4 disc set? Who the hell wants 4 discs in the age of DVDs? Not me. Why would Sega even make such a game? Why would Sega make any games for you? Why are you allowing your joke character to consume you?

Based on this thread? You do not know how to talk to people.

So, who is going to restart the process of DC manufacturing? Where are these plants? Who will actually distribute this system? How are you going to convince any developer to join you? Let's hear some actual plans here.

This thread is fun, though. I mean, it's obvious that you are either joking around or are mentally ill...but it's been a good time regardless.

BTW - I have forwarded several of your posts onto Sega themselves just for shits. Wonder if they'll give me a response?

Go back and play ps2 man, i see you aint a sega fan. Dont be mad because sega makes the best games. :)

Dalamar86

Cyan said:
It's like THURSDAYTON, only for Sega fans! Good times!

Unlike THURSDAYTON the fans don't only get to speculate and get excited for the two or three days leading up to said Thursday, they get FOUR YEARS!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
U.2.K. Tha Greate$t said:
Go back and play ps2 man, i see you aint a sega fan. Dont be mad because sega makes the best games. :)

Only one problem with your equation,

Sega will not be making new games for the dreamcast...

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
:lol :lol :lol Im Dying reading this thread.

Dude, take all that money you have, and go see a therapist. Its obvious you have trouble letting go. I really dont want to get into how something like this would never happen, and even if it did no one would buy new DC games. 10 million people interested? :lol :lol :lol You have got to be fuckin kidding me. I could see MAYBE working for systems like SNES or Genesis because its clear the 16 bit gen was the glory days of videogames and with 2-D dying out, people would love this. I still play my N64, but would i want new games for it? Hell no. Why would a want a game to come out for a dated system when i know it can be 10 times better on a next gen system. By the time 2009 rolls around. XBX360, PS3, and Revolution will already be WELL established with anywhere from 3-4 years into its system life. No one would walk into a Gamestop and say "man i really wish new DC games were still being produced." ITs not like people will be missing sega as they will be whoring out Sonic to all the new systems. As well as the rest of the BS properties they have under their name.

Stick to your "changing the world" plan.

Hellraizah

Ok, the true important question here is :

How come you're "rich" ? How did you make your money ?

How will you make more money in the future to fund your Dreamcast comeback ?

Jeffahn

dark10x said:
Yep, I've proven it.

Don't believe it? Document of MGS2. Buy it and find out. Pause the cutscenes at anytime and move the camera where you please. If there is one game you can't doubt, it's that. :D Boy, you sure picked the wrong game to question!

I mean, obviously, the Dreamcast is a milltion trillion times more powerful...but still...

I wasn't going to bring this up after the way you went off in the last DC thread, but, in the meantime, I did actually have a chance to checkout MGS2 again to confirm my suspicions.

Honestly, all I see with regard to the rain effect on the first stage are layers of transparency effects running in sequence to give the appearance of raindrops affected by windy conditions. There may be other sections in MGS2 that make use of particle effects, but not the rain on that first stage.

Starfire

This thread is funny :D

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Sega back in the game, and as unrealistic as it is, I would love to turn back the clock to 1999-2000 when Sega was still making DC games too.....but this is obviously a joke thread, someone here has too much time on their hands :D .

Oh, snd Dreamcast fairy.....bring us some more Samba de Amigo, and Space Channel 5, and Power Stone, and Virtua On, and......oh, yes, another Nights please!!

Kthkxbye!

dark10x

Honestly, all I see with regard to the rain effect on the first stage are layers of transparency effects running in sequence to give the appearance of raindrops affected by windy conditions. There may be other sections in MGS2 that make use of particle effects, but not the rain on that first stage.

There are layers along with individual particles (though the actual water explosions are fully particle based). Like I said, with MGS2, it's easy to see for yourself using the Document of... disc. You can watch every cutscene in the game and pause them at anytime. From there, you can move the camera anywhere in the scene and examine everything. Regardless, there is no game on the DC that ever came close to matching those type of effects. Am I right?

Go back and play ps2 man, i see you aint a sega fan. Dont be mad because sega makes the best games.

Nah, I think I'll play some of this tonight...

[again]
sega.jpg

[/again]

Oh wait, I forgot, I mustn't like Sega huh?

Then again, perhaps it's more of a case of no longer loving them to the same degree? They've taken a massive nose dive in recent years. It's too damn late, at this point. I'd love another NiGHTS, but I sure as shit wouldn't want the current Sonic Team making it. The Sega we knew and loved is DEAD.

At least some of my recent favorite games (like Lumines) have the Sega spirit in them.

Jeffahn

dark10x said:
There are layers along with individual particles (though the actual water explosions are fully particle based).

No, it's all done with a combination of sequenced layers and transparency effects. The impact 'explosions' are merely a transparency effect.

Like I said, with MGS2, it's easy to see for yourself using the Document of... disc. You can watch every cutscene in the game and pause them at anytime. From there, you can move the camera anywhere in the scene and examine everything.

It's convincingly done. Particle effects are almost always used in very limited situations, and where the maximum number of particles is constrained. The point of using particles is to have them behave realistically. If you examine what's happening with the MGS2 rain then you'lll realise that there's nothing really dynamic happening.

Regardless, there is no game on the DC that ever came close to matching those type of effects. Am I right?

Ladies and Gentlemen, the goalposts have just been moved.

Brofist

Last I checked most Sega games that are coming out are for PS2. Guess you're the one that aint a fan.

JavyOO7

And besides, i will be in a position in the near future that i can pretty much do anything i want, i will have alot of money, i got the ideas, i got great deals, i will pretty sure much be able to bring it back where people can shop for new games for the system when shopping for xbox games and other games.

I got alot of money now, but not enough to bring it back, thats why i was like, in the near futue, the position that i will be in, i can bring it back.

Peace and keep the dream alive.....BTW this is not a spam post, i dont care if you dont believe me, i could care less about that, i have no reason to lie. Its easy to bring back something, if you are in the position to make changes in this world......

Dude.

As of right now, I'm running off to College obtaining a Computer Science degree. Why? To make games one day, if it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't.

I think it's a cool (but weird) idea, but just think for a second.

You have plenty of money right? Well, why don't you get a couple of ambitious people who live and breathe gaming... and wait for it... start a gaming company? Develop for the next-gen consoles PS3/XBox360/Rev.

This this idea... it's doomed for failure man I'm sorry. I can't be any more nicer than that.

...okay. I think your fucking stupid.

Your much better off having a core group deving for next-gen stuff, but that's IMO anyway. What do I know?

Promise me at least 100 of these new games are 2D vert shooters and I will rock the black Nikes and eat the phenobarbital apple sauce.

Wraith

God, this thread has brought the funny in so many ways.

If you think about it, its a good idea, so why all the hating. Does it all sound to far out, yes it does , but again its not impossible.

No, it's actually impossible. Seriously. I don't care if you have brought Bruce Lee back from the grave for your fighting games. I don't care if you have combined the teams of Forza and GT to create your racing games. I don't care if Capcom has promised you five exclusive titles.

Please, though, give us Phantom-style updates as the project continues! Believe, indeed. :lol

I dont want just the xbox 2 and ps3 and gamecube 2 or whatever just to be around, i want a 4th generation system to be around and dreamcast seems to be the perfect choice. The dc does not have a small fan base, it has a large fan base not only in the united states, but in other lands has well.

If everything works out as plan, once yall see the new games and new demos or videos or whatever, i am positve alot of people minds will change. See all i'm doing is talking, telling yall stuff, but in due time, in due time.....

bdoughty

Banned
I dont want just the xbox 2 and ps3 and gamecube 2 or whatever just to be around, i want a 4th generation system to be around and dreamcast seems to be the perfect choice. The dc does not have a small fan base, it has a large fan base not only in the united states, but in other lands has well.

If everything works out as plan, once yall see the new games and new demos or videos or whatever, i am positve alot of people minds will change. See all i'm doing is talking, telling yall stuff, but in due time, in due time.....

The Dreamcast has a large fan base? If only Sega had known they might still be in the hardware business.

Call me when you get finished with Virtua Tennis 3. Remove all the RPG elements from VT2. The mini games are fun but only so many times.

Do you even understand how many dc systems sold in the united states alone, i heard it was over 10 million, then it slowed down to 6 million, when the dreamcast was dead, it had 4 million. If i can get 4 - 5 million dreamcast fans alone to support and buy more games for the system, thats all i need to continue my work.

Thats legendary right there man....

Wraith

The dc does not have a small fan base, it has a large fan base not only in the united states, but in other lands has well.

Hardware Sales
Estimated hardware sales at end of 2004 Region Sales
North America 4 million
Europe 2 million
Japan 3 million
Worldwide total 9 million

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Dreamcast

So you're talking about a user base less than half the size of the Gamecube's userbase(I use the GC because I believe it has the lowest sales this generation, trailing XBox by ~10%). The userbase can't grow because Sega doesn't make the hardware anymore. The hardware has aged, so at least some of those 9 million units have been broken or are sitting in the attic where the user will have 0 desire to find them.

GOOD LUCK BUDDY!

bdoughty

Banned
Do you even understand how many dc systems sold in the united states alone, i heard it was over 10 million, then it slowed down to 6 million, when the dreamcast was dead, it had 4 million. If i can get 4 - 5 million dreamcast fans alone to support and buy more games for the system, thats all i need to continue my work.

Thats legendary right there man....

Look Kids: It's the Everly Brohters

All I have to do is dream
Dream, dream, dream

Wraith said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Dreamcast

So you're talking about a user base less than half the size of the Gamecube's userbase(I use the GC because I believe it has the lowest sales this generation, trailing XBox by ~10%). The userbase can't grow because Sega doesn't make the hardware anymore. The hardware has aged, so at least some of those 9 million units have been broken or are sitting in the attic where the user will have 0 desire to find them.

GOOD LUCK BUDDY!

How large of a fan base do you think i really need to pull this off?

I was thinking 2 - 3 million, that should bring in the needed money to continue on. Look at this from a viewpoint of not trying to compete with the next generation systems, but just trying to make the hardcore or sega fans happy, its really aim at them, not at trying to be #1 in the gaming business.

I Think i can do this. Hell i'm hella hype right now. :lol

bdoughty

Banned
Look at this from a viewpoint of not trying to compete with the next generation systems, but just trying to make the hardcore or sega fans happy, its really aim at them, not at trying to be #1 in the gaming business.

It's good to have goals and standards. I am sure Sony appreciates your philosophy as well, you know allowing them to stay #1. Instead of the world domination that is the Dreamcast Rebirth.

9 million at the end of 2004?

Whats wrong with that? Thats pretty good. I mean, it might be like half of them gone, but why dont you think they might come back once they actually see more games?

Yall keep looking at the issue from trying to battle the next generation systems, but i aint trying to do that. I' just wanna bring out more games, to keep the dreamcast kicking and to make sega fans happy, so they can continue to look foward to something.

4 million or 3 million is all i need, str up. I think i really can do this , really. I wish a hardcore sega fan was on this forum, but i guess i'm all by myself.

159.gif

Mrbob

Sholmes said:
Can I make a game too?

Help me with my Ninja Gaiden killer for Dreamcast!

Here are the goals:

-Make the game look better than Ninja Gaiden on DC hardware

- Have twice as many moves than Ninja Gaiden

-Have three times as many areas to explore as Ninja Gaiden

-Have five times the numbers of enemies than Ninja Gaiden

-Have 3 times tthe collection of weapons to use

-Allow for 4 player co-op online

-Sell it for a budget price of $4.99

We'll be the Dreamcast revived system seller!

Top Bottom