• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drinky Crow Confessional

God help me -- PLEASE!!!!!!!! -- I'm enoying Shining Tears, and I have -no fucking idea- why. Quite frankly, I've gone insane. I blame the pervasive influence of my Nintendo DS, which sits on a shelf collecting dust, its chintzy silver plastic exterior glinting balefully in the glow of my halogen lamp.

Shining Tears is a shitty game. It deserves every crappy score its gotten. The load times are abysmal -- they're both overlong and inappropriately located. The anime talking heads are generically drawn and rather homely. The plot, while sporting a decent localization, is the lowest order of unoriginal fantasy drek. The controls are stiff; the bobblehead animation is uninspired; and the special effects are unnoteworthy.

For the sweet sanguine love of God, it has FURRIES. FURRIES! They ruin ANY game they're in!

Yet I was up to 3 AM last night playin' the fuckin' thing. Maybe it's because the missions are short and easily digested, and they mix up the pretty hand-drawn environments nicely. Maybe it's because you have eight characters to equip and customize. Maybe its because good random loot drops frequently, and the smithing (fusion) system is one of the deepest and most interesting I've played. Maybe it's because I was addicted to Shining Soul 2, and Shining Tears is so blatantly identical (right down to the same skill system, item equip system, and busty appraiser elf chick). Maybe it's because the game feels like the underappreciated Legend of Mana wed to the Shining Soul games.

Still, it's utterly shameful. I can justify why I enjoyed Unlimited SaGa. I have no concrete, articulate idea why I'm enjoying Shining Tears.

Anyway, I had to get that off my chest. At least the game doesn't have a fucking touchscreen element to make it even more cumbersome and unplayable.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm going upstairs to play Halo 2 and own some fools. That is to say, get my ass handed to me by an obscenity spewing Nazi from Tennessee.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Drinky Crow said:
For the sweet sanguine love of God, it has FURRIES. FURRIES! They ruin ANY game they're in!

Shame on you. Next thing you know, you'll be going to their conventions!

Dear God, no. At least Shining Tears has regular items drops, significant character stats, and actual REWARDS.

Guild Wars is as pretty as it is monstrously dull. It's World of Warcraft minus any and all incentive to advance; it's grind for scenery's sake. (I don't do PvP, so that argument's irrelevant to me.)

I think the brain likes to torture the mind sometimes; you know, like bringing up those embarrasing memories out of the blue, or you're watching a terribly shitty movie but for some reason you just can't stop.....yeah, it's probably one of those things.

kiryogi

Banned
The art rocks! Tony Taka is the man! On that note, my import copy of Shining Tears still sits around in its wrap D: So it's just like Shining Soul 2? But what about the slowdown that folks mentioned?

MrDaravon

Shining Tears would be WAY better if they fixed the loading times, and made the fusion system less vague. It's still alright though, don't feel bad!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Drinky Crow said:

Are you worried about the effect that this game and fire emblem GC may have on your anti furry image?

I'm excited for SF Neo, simply because it looks like a seriously overhauled Lodoss Wars DC. The character art is unformly garish, but OMG RANDOM LOOT DROPS.

scola, honestly, yes.

I enjoy Fire Emblem GC today; tomorrow I'm wearing a pantsless panda suit and drawing pictures of owl women with cock nipples raping an assortment of fox-faced hermaphrodites. :(

puck1337

The high priest of nerddom absolves you

saint.jpg

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Drinky Crow said:
scola, honestly, yes.

I enjoy Fire Emblem GC today; tomorrow I'm wearing a pantsless panda suit and drawing pictures of owl women with cock nipples raping an assortment of fox-faced hermaphrodites. :(
HOT!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
:lol

Hey at least you were addicted to Shining Soul II. I'm addicted to the first one! -_-;;

Sometimes mindless dungeon crawling and grinding can be "fun" and "rewarding." Sure it's dumb as hell and crap for gameplay but deep down it can get even the best of us.

Chrono

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
scola, honestly, yes.

For the love of god furries are people sexually obsessed with anthropomorphic characters. A half-human half-animal character in a videogame is just that, a fantasy character in a game/anime/whatever. People cosplaying as those characters are just cosplayers, no different than those playboy bunnies. Not furries. Fire Emblem does NOT have furries. At least keep your nintendo-bashing to things you CAN bash like the DS.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I actually played Shining Soul II to completion, it was bad, but not hopelessly so. The original was atrocious and I gave it up on the Forest stage, IIRC.

Chrono said:
For the love of god furries are people sexually obsessed with anthropomorphic characters. A half-human half-animal character in a videogame is just that, a fantasy character in a game/anime/whatever. People cosplaying as those characters are just cosplayers, no different than those playboy bunnies. Not furries. Fire Emblem does NOT have furries. At least keep your nintendo-bashing to things you CAN bash like the DS.

Gross, you wanna stick your doodle in animal people!

Don't blame me for your little dysfunction, pal! That's why I don't want furries in my games -- people like you getting a boner from catgirls and foxdudes puts a real ding on the whole experience!

Besides, your kind has the Starfox series -- stay outta my Fire Emblem!

Mejilan

This was more fun when we were mocking the retarded bastard offspring of the once treasured Shining series.

Chrono

Banned
callous said:
Chrono is all like "I wish I lived on The Planet of The Apes". You're sick, dude.

WHEN THE FUCK DID I SAY ANYTHING LIKE THAT!!!? I'm not a furry. I made a post correcting that moron that is calling fire emblem a furry game. God.

Barrage

Sounds like Drinky needs to play more of the glorious DS and less shitty PS2 anime drivel dungeon bullshit.

Now if you excuse me, i'm gonna go fap to old VHS of Biker Mice from Mars.

Apparently, all that time you've spent having orgies with dudes in leopard suits has clearly addled your perspective -- or given you syphilis!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Chrono said:
For the love of god furries are people sexually obsessed with anthropomorphic characters.

That's nice for you.

From wikipedia:

furry

Furry is a colloquial term used to indicate a particular category of fictional anthropomorphic animals. Put simply, a furry is a funny animal taken "seriously" for the benefit of an older audience. Usage of the term furry is limited almost exclusively to members of furry fandom or other cultural groups aware of furry fandom; it is not widely used in mainstream circles. The term furry is also very often used to refer to a furry fan.

From vexen, a magazine devoted to the furry subculture:

Furry artwork is any featuring anthropomorphic characters ('funny animals'), and fans of this art are called furry fans.

From PeterCat's Furry FAQ:

What Are Furries?

You've probably seen many: they're the stars of greeting cards, TV commercials, comics and movies entertaining millions of young and old alike. In short, folks with fur... characters in literature, film, TV, comics, or roleplaying who aren't quite human. Examples in popular media include cartoon characters such as Bugs Bunny; mythical creatures such as werewolves and dragons (the possession of fur is not a requirement of being "furry"); or aliens such as the Wookies and Ewoks of Star Wars.

From the alt.fan.furry semi-FAQ:

Subject: 3. WHAT IS A "FURRY"?

"Furry" when used as a noun seems to refer to one of two things:

a) An animal-like character known as a "furry"
b) A person who is a "furry fan"

The latter is easy enough (knock on wood) to define: A person who particularly enjoys stories, pictures, dolls, video games or whatever concerning "furry" creatures. Defining a "furry" creature is somewhat harder, though. There are several definitions depending upon which "camp" in furrydom, for lack of a better term, you might be in.

The basic definition for a "furry" is an anthropomorphized animal character. In other words, an animal character given human-like attributes, such as sapience and often a humanoid form. The term "furry" is a misnomer, as a creature does not need to have fur to be "furry" in this sense. Other terms sometimes interchangeable with a "furry" in this sense are "zoomorph", "morph", "anthropomorph" or (debatably) "funny animal".

Nice try, though.

Mejilan

In Frog's defense, he had an absolutely amazing musical theme accompanying his major story moments/battles.

iapetus, if you don't turn in your author bio for Retro Gaming Hacks, I'm writing it for you. and it'll be all about how you're a furry.

kiryogi

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
kiryogi, I sincerely believe that generic and flavorless but ultimately inoffensive anime fantasy art was crated JUST FOR YOU.

That doesn't answer my questions sir!

Chrono

Banned
iapetus said:
That's nice for you.

From wikipedia:

Well at least that's how they're defined in here.

Drinky Crow said:
scola, honestly, yes.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I'm on it, along with a slightly edited version of the hack, though it could still do with trimming down to reach the word limit. It's all about how I'm a furry and... no, wait a minute...

Top Bottom