• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

ty_hot

Two trophies left for my first platinum. Win 5 challenges (i think i won one or two already) and the level 6 in many accolades (will take forever). At least i will finally get a platinum, sooner or later. Yay. Awesome game.

Auctopus

The game's getting a fair bit of love in Gaming right now which is nice to see. I feel like for the first 8 months of this game it was a small group who was defending/supporting it on here.

5taquitos

The game's getting a fair bit of love in Gaming right now which is nice to see. I feel like for the first 8 months of this game it was a small group who was defending/supporting it on here.
Yeah, it's always a little funny to see how the general consensus on something like Driveclub changes over time. The PS+ edition threads were nightmares, and now everyone seems to recognize that it's one of the better console racers available.

farmerboy

https://youtu.be/TYWpTZuLP5k

Hi gents, yesterday I had the opportunity to try out a demo of Driveclub on the PSVR and thought I'd share my impressions with you all. Shout out to buggie_brain for capturing some video and putting it up on Youtube.

Any comments on my double chin are not welcome :)

So we booked a half hour session but quickly realised when we got there that this was only a 3 lap go around Old Town. I didn't have any chance to change settings or have a more comprehensive fool around with the game. They even had the "automatic braking assist" function on, which was really frustrating. Also, the sound was no where near loud enough.

THE GOOD

- The unit itself is really light and comfortable. Easy to position and adjust, you can get this thing on and off in seconds. I'd imagine that an extended play would be really comfortable.
- The head tracking works really well. There is no perceptible lag and looking around the game world feels really natural. I had a giggle to myself as i was able to poke my head out the window, check out the interior etc. The head tracking does a tremendous job of planting you in the world.
- The graphics. This is more contentious but hear me out. If we're being realistic, we all know that the ps4 is going to struggle pushing VR, and it does. But what we have here was a pretty decent approximation of the DC experience. Lighting is good and framerate is very stable and once you feel immersed in the world it all comes together, but.........

THE BAD

- .......it's realistically about 50% (maybe more) of the graphics we know and love. Everything texture wise takes a bit of a hit. Interiors don't look as good and the jaggies are more pronounced. And there is no weather as far as I know.
- We couldn't get decent off cam footage from the second screen (where you see what I see) as there were too many reflections. But what you see on that looks better than what I was seeing on the actual device. What I experienced was markedly darker and I'm not sure if that is an inherent fault of PSVR or whether they had some settings all screwed up. Also, maybe the LCD second screen (or for instance your LCD/PLASMA/OLED at home) was just better than the PSVR screens at displaying the action

AND THE UGLY

- Bring a barf bag. Seriously, if you are inclined to suffer from motion sickness, this may not be for you. The first time (and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time!) the car slid or got airborne were unsettling for me to say the least. I've only been car sick twice in my life, but this got me good. Felt nauseated for a while and the resulting head ache lasted about 4 hours. The Sony rep assured me that you get used to it quite quickly, but I'm not entirely sure I'd be willing to put up with the nausea in the meantime.
- Screen door effect anyone? Yeah, it's pretty bad. I felt like I was 5 yo again and 1 foot away from the old CRT watching Astroboy. 1080p doesn't cut it, I think that VR is going to be a whole lot more enjoyable with 4K screens.

CONCLUSION

For me personally, I think I've gone cold on the idea of PSVR. Mainly because of the motion sickness and screen door effect. I'm not really worried about the graphics, as immersion is the key and I think this game achieves that really well. But the screen door effect was pretty jarring.
Possibly the worst thing about it was the darkness of the display. I couldn't understand why it was so dark and didn't think to mention it to the rep. Maybe they had a setting screwed up, but I haven't read too much about PSVR till this point. Surely there would be a brightness setting.

Gents, my best advice would be to try this out for yourselves, as before this I was a lock for PSVR, but now, not so much. When I finally get more info on a PS4Pro version of DC VR, I'll give it a shot again. But till then I'm back on the fence.

EDIT: Disclaimer; I haven't heard anything about this game going gold. So at this point let's assume what I played is pre release code and may well improve on release. :)

Ainsz

Cheers for sharing with us farmer. Very insightful video that. It showed me a lot of how even a rather larger VR set covering your face still won't hide your double chin. The game thing looked nice too.

https://youtu.be/TYWpTZuLP5k
AND THE UGLY

- Bring a barf bag. Seriously, if you are inclined to suffer from motion sickness, this may not be for you. The first time (and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time!) the car slid or got airborne were unsettling for me to say the least. I've only been car sick twice in my life, but this got me good. Felt nauseated for a while and the resulting head ache lasted about 4 hours. The Sony rep assured me that you get used to it quite quickly, but I'm not entirely sure I'd be willing to put up with the nausea in the meantime.

That would be me. That's unfortunate, but it's also the reason why i still felt apprehensive about PSVR, in spite of the general excitement for this tech. :I
Thanks for the impressions!

Goldrusher

So we booked a half hour session but quickly realised when we got there that this was only a 3 lap go around Old Town. I didn't have any chance to change settings or have a more comprehensive fool around with the game.
You can choose between a race (which you've played) and a time trial, which takes place on one of the Indian tracks.
I haven't seen any other tracks.

They even had the "automatic braking assist" function on, which was really frustrating.
You can access the options menu to change the braking assist. Then again maybe your rep wouldn't (have) let you?

The head tracking works really well. There is no perceptible lag and looking around the game world feels really natural. I had a giggle to myself as i was able to poke my head out the window, check out the interior etc. The head tracking does a tremendous job of planting you in the world.
Yup. It's amazing how well it works. You really feel like you're sitting in the car.

Another really cool demo for petrol-heads is "The London Heist: The Getaway", which is part of VR Worlds. In that demo, you're a passenger in a truck, and you control everything with the Move-controllers. As you're sitting in that truck, you can "manipulate" nearly everything. You can change the radio station. Open the glove compartment. You can even open the door, and lean out. Really cool how well and natural it all works.

Bring a barf bag. Seriously, if you are inclined to suffer from motion sickness, this may not be for you. The first time (and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time!) the car slid or got airborne were unsettling for me to say the least. I've only been car sick twice in my life, but this got me good. Felt nauseated for a while and the resulting head ache lasted about 4 hours.
That's surprising to hear. I tend to get carsick quite easily, and yet this game didn't affect me. Very few of the VR-games actually. Only the ones in which you walk around made me feel a little queasy. Robinson for example.

Bring a barf bag. Seriously, if you are inclined to suffer from motion sickness, this may not be for you. The first time (and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time!) the car slid or got airborne were unsettling for me to say the least. I've only been car sick twice in my life, but this got me good. Felt nauseated for a while and the resulting head ache lasted about 4 hours. The Sony rep assured me that you get used to it quite quickly, but I'm not entirely sure I'd be willing to put up with the nausea in the meantime.

I'm a person who gets travel sick from time to time but I have yet to experience VR sickness. I have spent a good amount of time with Project Cars VR and haven't felt nauseous once.

The screens a definite issue with this first gen of VR though, but with extended play you forget it. I do anyway, at the beginning it is annoying but after 10 - 15 mins or the experience gets more intense it become less noticeable. Haven't had access to PSVR yet so can't comment on how that compares to the consumer Rift though. When/if this gets sorted though the devices will take a big leap forward.

Anyone know if DCVR a launch game?

farmerboy

How'd you manage this, if I can ask? Was that at whatever that technology thing was at Fed Square?

Its called the Playstation VR Tour. I got an email about it. Replied back by registering and booking a time. Basically they're setting up shop in Westfield shopping centres. This one was in Westfield Knox, had to drive an hour to get there.

With any luck they might make it down to Geelong cos you have a Westfield there don't you?

Shaneus

Its called the Playstation VR Tour. I got an email about it. Replied back by registering and booking a time. Basically they're setting up shop in Westfield shopping centres. This one was in Westfield Knox, had to drive an hour to get there.

With any luck they might make it down to Geelong cos you have a Westfield there don't you?
Sure do! Off to Google.

Edit: No dice :/
Westfield Southland, VIC - Sept 10th & 11th
Westfield Knox, VIC - Sept 17th & 18th
Glad one of us managed to experience it though :)

farmerboy

You can choose between a race (which you've played) and a time trial, which takes place on one of the Indian tracks.
I haven't seen any other tracks.

You can access the options menu to change the braking assist. Then again maybe your rep wouldn't (have) let you?

Yes I could see those options available but I think the reps were conscious of getting as many people as possible to have a go. So they basically set you up and let it rip. Would have been nice to have a bit more time with it.

wouwie

Could anyone tell me how big Driveclub is now as a complete download (no disc)? When i start downloading, PSN is indicating that the game is 29Gb. Is that with or without the 13Gb patch? I'd like to give this game another go at some point but my internet connection has a download cap so i'd like to know how big the game is before i download. Thanks.

Could anyone tell me how big Driveclub is now as a complete download (no disc)? When i start downloading, PSN is indicating that the game is 29Gb. Is that with or without the 13Gb patch? I'd like to give this game another go at some point but my internet connection has a download cap so i'd like to know how big the game is before i download. Thanks.

I've had a look at my system storage management and 29,09 GB is indeed the total size of Driveclub.

With DC VR now being confirmed for the PSVR launch on October 13th, it seems like we won't have to wait much longer to get our hands on the new city tracks in regular DC as well. I'm really excited we'll still get the new tracks after such a long time. Deep down i was hoping they'd still see the light of day, but after Sony closed down Evolution, i didn't want to give too much thought to it, in order to avoid any further heartbreak. What do you guys think, will each of the new locations have up to 6 variants, like Old Town did, or will we just get a single track layout (plus reversed) for each location? Will there be some kind of free tour bundled with them, to facilitate races on the new tracks, maybe some more elite levels tied to them, or will it be left up to us how we will enjoy them? Either way is fine to me really, i'm just happy we're getting them at all. :)

But to be honest, the only thing i'm still a bit worried about now is whether the new tracks have been made at the fidelity that we're used to from DC and then downgraded for VR, or whether they've been built for VR from the ground up, at a reduced fidelity.

No problem!

Auctopus

I completely forgot about the variants.

To be honest, I was expecting just six tracks, end of. 6 tracks with 3 variants each would be insane. It's possible that it's 2 new locations with 3 variants as well.

I'm happy either way! Looking forward to racing with the GAF group again.

I completely forgot about the variants.

To be honest, I was expecting just six tracks, end of. 6 tracks with 3 variants each would be insane. It's possible that it's 2 new locations with 3 variants as well.

I'm happy either way! Looking forward to racing with the GAF group again.

Oh man, you had me worried for a bit just now. I hadn't even considered that it could be just 2 locations, but looking at recently released pictures of new tracks, they do seem to come from just 2 locations. One is very obviously set in Norway:

dcnorwayqcs22.jpg

dcnorway2nwsc3.jpg

dcnorway31oszg.jpg

And the other one is a winding track through a hillside city/town:

dchills0jsny.jpg

dchills2chs15.jpg

dchills3djszd.jpg

dchills421sir.jpg

I'm not sure where it could be set, but i'm thinking it's either India or Chile. If all of these last 5 are in fact from the same location, then it would more likely be India, since the signs at the side of the road on the 4th picture seem to have Indian letters on them and the banner/arc across the road, while hard to make out, looks like it could say "Welcome to India" (which is a bit odd, the city name would make more sense, but i guess it would work in the sense of welcoming international racers to the country). However, i'm not sure if the architecture matches up with the other ones. The colors of the buildings seem like a match, but i'm not sure about the rest. For example, in the last screenshot there is a brownstone building, are those common in India? Could be British colonial influence, i guess.

Anyway, these are all the recently released screenshots. Other than that, all we've seen are the four screens Rushy teased around New Year:

As it turned out, the first two were from Oldtown. The third picture would imo fit a small Chilean town, considering there's a church. The fourth picture is hard to tell and could be anything, but since the first two are from the same track, i'm going to assume the third and fourth pics are from a single track as well.

So we've seen evidence of at least four different locations since that initial tease, but recently we've (presumably) seen only two different locations in all the new screenshots. However, it might be much ado about nothing, since the DC VR announcement on the PS Blog last month mentioned five locations:

Tracks: New and classic Driveclub tracks are brought to life through the power of PlayStation VR, including five all-new Urban locations

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/08/17/driveclub-vr-announced-for-playstation-vr/

Since there are 6 locations/countries in DC and Scotland already got Oldtown, i'm hoping each of the remaining locations also gets a city track (hopefully with multiple layouts and reverse variants), which would line up with the 5 new tracks/locations reported on the PS Blog. If that's the case, we have yet to see anything from Canada and Japan. In any case, i'm extremely excited about all of his, that winding hillside track looks really cool. :)

;D still the road width is from the it's-so-hilarious kind. Oh, well. Evo will never learn. Seriously!! Get your facts straight!!

Too wide or too narrow?

Edit: I'm assuming you think it's too wide? I don't think it has anything to do with facts, but with what's more fun for the player. Remember all the complaints about corridor racing when the game came out?

Tommi84

Too wide or too narrow?
Obviously too wide. For me it's more fun if the roads are narrow as it requires a bit more skill to play the game and it was more exciting to try to find a gap to overtake someone when the road is not 10lanes wide :).

Remember all the complaints about corridor racing when the game came out?
Well, some people complain that Dark Souls games are too difficult and there should be a difficulty setting. Can't understand those people too ;).

Obviously too wide. For me it's more fun if the roads are narrow as it requires a bit more skill to play the game and it was more exciting to try to find a gap to overtake someone when the road is not 10lanes wide :).

Well, some people complain that Dark Souls games are too difficult and there should be a difficulty setting. Can't understand those people too ;).

I don't disagree with you, but after even reviewers harped on that, you know it must have taken its toll. I remember a few of them mentioning at release how the roads are too narrow for fast cars and what not. It wasn't just forum users going on about corridor racing. I'm just saying i'm pretty sure this is a conscious design decision, not Evo being unable to get their facts straight.

I had a chance to try Driveclub VR recently, a long with a number of other VR demos at EGX in Birmingham.

While I enjoyed my time with Playstation VR and the other VR demos I played, Driveclub VR wasn't a pleasant experience for me. There's a good sense of presence in the car and the in-car details look good, but the aesthetic presentation of everything outside of the car is terribly poor.

It doesn't look like Driveclub. It looks like Driveclub if it were running on a Playstation 3, and then burned into your retina. You can see extreme amounts of aliasing, and you lose most of the detail that makes the game an aesthetic pleasure on a television, as everything in the VR demo is presented at a resolution that just isn't suitable for VR.

It's ugly and low resolution, so much so that it's almost difficult to view the next turn as the jagged mess sort of merges together. At first I thought the headset might be configured incorrectly (as if the set is too far or close to your eyes it can look visually blurry) but this wasn't blurry so much as messy. The visual downgrades applied to achieve the smooth VR experience resulted in a presentation that's really harsh on the eyes, outside of the car.

I found this to be so much the case that the Driveclub VR demo actually caused me to develop a headache, within the five minute sitting. I also played Battlezone and The Heist, which are games designed from the ground up for VR, and present themselves much better visually. While they have less detail these other games ensure that they have very sharp visual styles so that when your in the VR experience everything looks great, even if the visual styling is a little simple.

The actual mechanics of the game were as expected. I'm not sure what car I was in as I couldn't recognise it from the cockpit alone but it had an extreme amount of traction. I was using what I think was some sort of logitech racing wheel and gameplay wise the game felt really good to play, a great sense of speed (curiousy of a high framerate) and I was getting some really great force feedback from the wheel. It felt nature and incredibly enjoyable in that regard, if the visual presentation didn't completely sour the experience I would have been sold.

I'll post a much longer hands on impressions soon on my own blog but I thought I would give you guys a heads up on my experience. Perhaps it won't be the same for others, it'd be interesting to compare. For me, if that was my first experience of Playstation VR, I think it would have put me off the new platform, but other VR demos like Battlezone have me excited. I feel that if we're going to get a good VR racing game then it's quite possible it will need to be built from the ground up, for Playstation VR.

A while ago it has been announced that DC VR will have 114 tracks, including 5 all new urban locations. I have previously wondered about how many track variants those new locations would provide us with, hoping that they would follow the example of Scotland's Old Town, with 3 layouts and a reverse variant for every layout, for each new city location. However, in order to avoid possible disapointment, i braced myself for a smaller amount of tracks.

I don't know why i didn't do this sooner, but today it occured to me that i could just compare the announced number of tracks with the ones that have already been released. The game currently has 84 tracks. If you subtract that from the announced 114 tracks in DC VR you get 30. Dividing that number with the announced 5 new urban locations brings us to 6 variants per location, which would align with what we got with the release of Old Town earlier this year. Although we have only seen screenshots from 2 or 3 of those new locations, i think it's safe to assume that each of the remaining countries in DC will be represented with its own urban location and i can't wait to see the remaining ones, especially Japan.

With that said, i think that people expecting to race through dense metropolitan areas akin to those in the PGR series should keep their expectations in check. From what we've seen so far i believe that for the most part those tracks will be set in small to mid-sized towns/cities, devoid of large sky scrapers and the like. Anyway, DC VR releases in approximately 2 weeks and while i have currently no plans on getting a PSVR, i'm excited about further impressions from our regulars, as well as the additional content coming to the original Driveclub. :)

airjoca

Looking for suggestions for the best track/weather/time of day/car combo for a time trial event.

I have to pick one for a time trial championship I'm in.

Looking for suggestions for the best track/weather/time of day/car combo for a time trial event.

I have to pick one for a time trial championship I'm in.

Depends what you're after, the kyle in the evening as the sun was going down meant you were blind going into a couple of bends and caused some good laughs.

le-seb

I really loved this setting I had in one challenge:
Cayoosh Point
19:00 - x15 time lapse
Stormy weather - Dynamic precipitations

Will0827

Just started playing Forza Horizon 3 and the first thought I had was driveclub in the vain of horizon would be the greatest thing ever. Being that the game is getting love maybe just maybe a new team can make that happen, I wish this would be something that gets considered.

Will0827

No open world Driveclub, please.

While driveclub is still amazing right now I feel that a Driveclub "Horizon" release and then another team working on a follow up to driveclub 1, would make the it a series staple for Playstation and also have a deiveclub game out every year or other year and build a fanbase around what we already are for the current game. There will be a game for all kinds of players for the super serious sim players there will be gran turismo, then a follow up to driveclub and an even more arcady game in a Driveclub horizon like game. A win for all Playstation racing fans.

ps3ud0

No thanks to an open world DC game, just would water everything down Ubisoft-style

Motorstorm I have to admit always seemed an IP that led itself very much to such a setup though

ps3ud0 8)

Top Bottom