• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Hi, I hope someone can help me.

Since today I'm not able to start Driveclub VR anymore. It has a lock on it and says that the license has expired and I need to buy it again. But how is that even possible? I have all DLCs, the bikes expansion and the platin trophy. I tried restarting my ps4 and to restore all licenses via the settings, but nothing worked. I'm always getting redirected to the store and have to buy the ps+ upgrade for 14,99€. Recently my PS+ expired, but I renewed the subscription.

has anybody an advice for me? I'm currently waiting on the sony support hotline and have to wait 30 minutes :(

Unfortunately i can't help you with this, but i remember a couple of users here having the same problem a long time ago. I don't know what became of it in those cases, but hopefully Sony's customer service can sort this out for you.

desu

Hi, I hope someone can help me.

Since today I'm not able to start Driveclub VR anymore. It has a lock on it and says that the license has expired and I need to buy it again. But how is that even possible? I have all DLCs, the bikes expansion and the platin trophy. I tried restarting my ps4 and to restore all licenses via the settings, but nothing worked. I'm always getting redirected to the store and have to buy the ps+ upgrade for 14,99€. Recently my PS+ expired, but I renewed the subscription.

has anybody an advice for me? I'm currently waiting on the sony support hotline and have to wait 30 minutes :(

When I let my PSN+ run out I had the same problem. I contacted Sony and it took me about 3 weeks until it was fixed again.

dr guildo

VrWRRuG.gif

Can't tell the diff with reality ! Dat lighting !

I started with Drive Club a few weeks ago and it's really damn good. Love the handling and the tracks. It really is something special. I would even say it is the best racing game i have played in a long long time. I love that it is not open world, like many other recent racing games. Missed my closed tracks ("realistic" racers like forza, Gran turismo or project cars are not for me).

And yeah, there is not much to say about the visuals. Just incredible.

The game really deserves something like a complete edition on disc, when they are finished with DLCs.

Is the Bikes Update as good as the main game?
And who is the developer of Drive Club VR, now that Evolution is closed?

Do we have an idea on when the extra tracks will hit?

We haven't had a official announcement, but i'm being optimistic and expecting it tomorrow, with the launch of Driveclub VR. Fingers crossed!

I started with Drive Club a few weeks ago and it's really damn good. Love the handling and the tracks. It really is something special. I would even say it is the best racing game i have played in a long long time. I love that it is not open world, like many other recent racing games. Missed my closed tracks ("realistic" racers like forza, Gran turismo or project cars are not for me).

And yeah, there is not much to say about the visuals. Just incredible.

The game really deserves something like a complete edition on disc, when they are finished with DLCs.

Is the Bikes Update as good as the main game?
And who is the developer of Drive Club VR, now that Evolution is closed?

Welcome to the fold!

The Bikes expansion is a lot of fun, but it feels quite different in handling and how you have to approach the tracks than the original Driveclub. The good thing is you can try for yourself, as there are a couple of Bikes you can try out without owning the Bikes expansion. Iirc, one bike can be unlocked by earning manufacturer Accolades for KTM, and another bike (the Aprilia RSV4) should be free dlc on the PSN store. The handling model for the bikes is pretty forgiving in the sense that you won't crash easily, so it's very approachable, but the real difficulty imo comes from getting the right flow through corners, which requires a completely different approach than with cars and is absolutely necessary for top times. The trick events are also a lot of fun and the first person camera angles are at once beautiful and really scary. :)

From what i understand, a small number of Evolution employees stayed at Sony to work on the VR version and are now part of a general tech support group, while the bulk of the studio got picked up by Codemasters to work on a new racing IP. Maybe Rushy (the game's director) can correct me if i'm wrong.

So, Port of Vancouver is in VR. Has the update landed for good old standard DC?

No, not yet. Hopefully it arrives in time with the official release of DC VR tomorrow. Btw, your question prompted me to quickly go to youtube and search for new DC VR footage. Found a video of someone hovering over the Port of Vancouver tracks, only to end up choosing Sinclair Pass. XD

Oneself

No, not yet. Hopefully it arrives in time with the official release of DC VR tomorrow. Btw, your question prompted me to quickly go to youtube and search for new DC VR footage. Found a video of someone hovering over the Port of Vancouver tracks, only to end up choosing Sinclair Pass. XD
Lol I just saw that one. Terrible!

Lol I just saw that one. Terrible!

This video on the other hand does feature one of the new locations, Gujo - Japan. As expected it's more of a mid sized city surrounded by a lush natural landscape, than a bustling metropolis with skyscrapers that some might have been wishing for, but the setting looks really nice. I'm looking forward to playing it, along with the other new locations, which will presumably follow the same mixture of urban and natural landscapes. :)

From Eurogamers mini review

Driving games have already proved themselves well-suited to VR - there's something about the static cockpit and, if you're nerdy or flush enough, having a steering wheel that helps sidestep some of the fledgling medium's problems - so it's great to see PlayStation VR's launch accompanied by what's over time become something of a modern classic. DriveClub VR cannily transposes Evolution Studio's accomplished arcade racer into virtual reality - though there is, of course, a catch.

This is a standalone VR game, ensuring that any progress made in the vanilla version of the game is lost, rubbing a little extra salt into the wound that's opened when you're asked to buy the game all over again. There are some extra tracks not seen in the main game - a handful of urban jaunts around each of the locations - and the VR is implemented well enough, even if DriveClub's stellar visuals take a noticeable hit. It's not quite enough, though, to justify a full price-tag for what remains a fundamentally watered down version of the main game.

Doesn't mention that existing season pass holders get it half price tho, which is a shame as their main gripe appears to be the price...

Auctopus

This video on the other hand does feature one of the new locations, Gujo - Japan. As expected it's more of a mid sized city surrounded by a lush natural landscape, than a bustling metropolis with skyscrapers that some might have been wishing for, but the setting looks really nice. I'm looking forward to playing it, along with the other new locations, which will presumably follow the same mixture of urban and natural landscapes. :)

Thanks for the link. Really looking forward to the new tracks.

Cool.

This video offers some glimpses at the new Indian (?) location we've previously seen in screenshots, if anyone is interested. Check out 2:24, 3:05 and 4:41. Shame about the illness the game is causing in VR for some people. :/

It's weird, some teams really don't get on with it but others don't mention it at all. One review I saw also mentioned the darkness thing that farmerboy experienced (along with the sickness). I hope it's something they can figure out and fix and not just the nature of the game.

farmerboy

It's weird, some teams really don't get on with it but others don't mention it at all. One review I saw also mentioned the darkness thing that farmerboy experienced (along with the sickness). I hope it's something they can figure out and fix and not just the nature of the game.

Motion sickness is an individual thing, some will feel it and to varying degrees. It's not nice, but there is this advice that if you persevere the feeling goes away. You need to acclimatize to it.

Btw, i've noticed in the GR video that you can adjust the position of the cockpit camera in DC VR. It would be really cool if that was also patched into the original Driveclub. There are some cars in which it feels like the cockpit is taking up too much of the screen and it would be nice if you could push the camera a bit forward, without having to resort to dashboard view.

Btw, i've noticed in the GR video that you can adjust the position of the cockpit camera in DC VR. It would be really cool if that was also patched into the original Driveclub. There are some cars in which it feels like the cockpit is taking up too much of the screen and it would be nice if you could push the camera a bit forward, without having to resort to dashboard view.

That's what's always put me off from using the in car views - it never looks like your in the car as the windscreen is that far away etc. I'm kinda hoping using the vr headset it'll be different when playing normal dc (the larger screen size settings will make the in car view feel more real) I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Motion sickness is an individual thing, some will feel it and to varying degrees. It's not nice, but there is this advice that if you persevere the feeling goes away. You need to acclimatize to it.

Yeah you need to get your vr legs is what I've heard too, thing is I've read two reviews where they've said it's just unplayable, everyone is sick despite having years of vr experience and then there's other reviews that seem perfectly fine. Just seems unfathomable, like there's something wrong with certain setups, and the darkness thing was in common with what your saw. Another thing that was raised in that games radar vid was the amount of undulations in drive clubs tracks, could well be flatter circuits are easier to stomach...

farmerboy

Either way I'm really looking forward to anyone's impressions as I trust you guys a whole lot more than anyone else.

As far as immersion goes, I think it nails it on the head. You do really feel like you're in the car and it works a whole lot better than normal cockpit view.

Sadly though, I don't think it's for me. I'm a weak prick!

ZalXII

Just experienced a weird sound bug in the 4th lap of a 10 lap offline BIKES race.

At first there was subtle blip, sounding as if someone turned off a pair of speakers and the sound was off after that. Pause menu on the other hand reactivated sound only to go off again as soon as i continue with the race with the same subtle blip. Tried it a couple of times, nothing changed, tried sleep mode, nothing changed, so i quitted the race only to be introduced to a quiet main menu.

Restarted the game now, let's see what happens.

EDIT: Reconstructed the race with the same parameters and everything worked fine.

Even though DC VR made me ill, I can't see myself having been comfortable with the graphical presentation of the game, unwell or not.

Visually the game looks like someone's taken regular Driveclub and smeared vaseline across the windshield. It's not a good look. It's fine for a game to look worse, but to lose it's clarity is a serious issue.

When I was playing I found myself sometimes struggling to see the turn ahead because of how poor the visual clarity was. It's also quite odd because everything in-car looks great, so they really focused on making that component of the game immersive, but it's looking through the windshield that causes the issue.

Some of the youtube impressions I was watching were saying they tweaked the handling to make the game easier in VR also. I'm not sure if that's true but it would be interesting if it were. When I played the game I used what I think was the Bac Mono, which has pretty high traction compared to some other vehicles, so it felt easier than usual but I think that was due to the car.

I hope there will be Japan urban location too.

There is:

This update will bring one urban location (3 layouts with a reverse variant for each) to the 5 remaining countries that didn't have one.

Some of the youtube impressions I was watching were saying they tweaked the handling to make the game easier in VR also. I'm not sure if that's true but it would be interesting if it were. When I played the game I used what I think was the Bac Mono, which has pretty high traction compared to some other vehicles, so it felt easier than usual but I think that was due to the car.

Maybe they got it confused with breaking assist, which has been added with an update last November. It does seem a bit unlikely, since it's a year old already, but they might not have been following the game's post launch support closely and missed it. As for the BAC Mono, yeah, that thing really sticks to the road and is really easy to handle.

Gamesreactor are saying that Driveclub VR makes everyone in their office sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g7WzV_lTXk

From the video

"We haven't found anyone that has felt fine"

"It just doesn't work"

I don't know though, the way they explain it is that the disjunction between your bodies movement and what's happening in-game, with all the hills and whatnot, causes the sickness. However I've played Project Cars in VR and that didn't make me feel sick. I think it's something to do with the video in front of you, driveclub specifically. There has to be a way to fix it, I would think.

They also suggest the more you 'get used to it' the less you are going to be affected by it.

Sony...

In the meantime, this video shows off more of the Japanese and Indian tracks, as well as a glimpse at the new Chilean track. I have to say, out of all the footage i've seen, the Indian location looks by far the coolest in setting and track layout. I also like the Japanese track layout in this one better than in the video i posted yesterday, it feels livelier and more scenic. The Chilean one is hard to judge, since the footage is set at night, but for now it seems like yet another partially industrial/port setting, after Port Vancouver and the Norwegian track, which seems a bit redundant. I'll be happy to eat crow though once i can finally check them out myself. I'm sure the folks at Evo have done a good job choosing settings that differentiate themselves, despite some superficial similarities.

Gamesreactor are saying that Driveclub VR makes everyone in their office sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g7WzV_lTXk

From the video

"We haven't found anyone that has felt fine"

"It just doesn't work"

I don't know though, the way they explain it is that the disjunction between your bodies movement and what's happening in-game, with all the hills and whatnot, causes the sickness. However I've played Project Cars in VR and that didn't make me feel sick. I think it's something to do with the video in front of you, driveclub specifically. There has to be a way to fix it, I would think. I just forgot how much I dislike unlocking cars in games.

They also suggest the more you 'get used to it' the less you are going to be affected by it.

I've played it for about 3 and a bit hours now and had no problems. I knew beforehand that I was fine with other VR racing games.

Even though there is a clear hit in the graphics just seeing things that I have never noticed before makes up for that, like the big building on the dam track in Norway, where the fuck did that come from. sun sets and night time racing still look great though.

dracula_x

Sony...

In the meantime, this video shows off more of the Japanese and Indian tracks, as well as a glimpse at the new Chilean track. I have to say, out of all the footage i've seen, the Indian location looks by far the coolest in setting and track layout. I also like the Japanese track layout in this one better than in the video i posted yesterday, it feels livelier and more scenic. The Chilean one is hard to judge, since the footage is set at night, but for now it seems like yet another partially industrial/port setting, after Port Vancouver and the Norwegian track, which seems a bit redundant. I'll be happy to eat crow though once i can finally check them out myself. I'm sure the folks at Evo have done a good job choosing settings that differentiate themselves, despite some superficial similarities.

Thanks for the link.

I've played it for about 3 and a bit hours now and had no problems. I knew beforehand that I was fine with other VR racing games.

Even though there is a clear hit in the graphics just seeing things that I have never noticed before makes up for that, like the big building on the dam track in Norway, where the fuck did that come from. sun sets and night time racing still look great though.

For me it didn't actually make me sick it just gave me a really bad headache. Hopefully that was just circumstances. It might also be different on a controller since I was using a wheel which had me moving my entire body.

It's weird that some reviewers are saying it's fine though, but Gamereactor claim they can't find a single person who it doesn't make sick. They admit that there are some people that it won't affect like that, but say that they haven't found anyone that doesn't have some sort of negative reaction.

For me it didn't actually make me sick it just gave me a really bad headache. Hopefully that was just circumstances. It might also be different on a controller since I was using a wheel which had me moving my entire body.

It's weird that some reviewers are saying it's fine though, but Gamereactor claim they can't find a single person who it doesn't make sick. They admit that there are some people that it won't affect like that, but say that they haven't found anyone that doesn't have some sort of negative reaction.

Yeah it is an unfortunate side of VR and not an easy one to fix as the different causes for discomfort are huge. I just wish people could experience VR how I have been able to, Driveclub VR I now prefer it over the original (just wish it wasn't so blurry) and going to break my self imposed ban on buying a console specific wheel. Even games like EVE Valkyrie are amazing the second you start pushing them, doing boost loops whilst looking at an enemy behind you then quick breaking and doing a sort of turning barrel roll is insanely fun. Its amazing. Even though I had played a few hours with Project Cars I still wasn't totally sold on VR being the way forward for racing games but after a stupid amount of time on DCVR today I don't want to play a racing game on the traditional way any more even if that does mean losing certain elements.

Don't forget that you can use motion steering in this game with the DS4. It makes even more sense with VR imho.

I got a little bit queasy on the Indian demo track, I think because of the bumps in the road and how that affects the camera. The Scottish track was fine and other cars make the game look much better too. They should have put in a slower car into the demo.

I am not sure if I can overcome the decrease in resolution though ... but I will try the full game later today (damn there is so much VR content! Thumper is beautiful)

Denur

Visually the game looks like someone's taken regular Driveclub and smeared vaseline across the windshield. It's not a good look. It's fine for a game to look worse, but to lose it's clarity is a serious issue.

When I was playing I found myself sometimes struggling to see the turn ahead because of how poor the visual clarity was.
This is pretty much my experience, quite the let-down. But it is the only negative I have about DC VR. Being able to look into corners and to better judge elevation changes makes it a very different game and I love it. I played for about an hour, with regular breaks, and didn't feel nauseated at all.

@Rushy: To what extend will the PS4 Pro improve the game's clarity while driving and do you have any tips on how to get the best possible clarity with the current PS4?

Top Bottom