• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Cant say I like the new tracks...

They are very short for one and the presentation is sub par compared to the rest of the game.

Looks like they rushed these out. They actually look like they were created with VR version in mind and then tried to improve upon this for the proper version of the game.

Surely I cant be the only one noticing a pretty big difference in the quality of the visuals.

How do the new tracks look subpar compared to the rest of the game? Imo they look exactly like the rest, the big difference is that the cityscapes are just better at pointing out the flaws that DC had from the start, i.e. not that great image quality (AA and AF). If you think the buildings and such on these new tracks look worse than the structures on the old tracks, then you need to have a closer looks at those, because they're on par. I'm not saying this to shit on the game retroactively, it's my favorite new IP this gen, but the graphical rough spots were always there, and not too hard to find if you looked for them. It's why there was such a disparity between many people praising the graphics, while others thought they were underwhelming. Those people were concentrating on different aspects of the visuals. Also, if you think they look worse due to being made with VR in mind, do have a look at some DC VR footage. I've spent 2 weeks combing through hours of VR footage to get a glimpse at the new tracks and when i finally played them in standard DC i was surprised at how much more detail there is, not just in asset quality, but also additional trackside elements. I think the new tracks still look as great as ever in the conditions they are meant to be seen, driving through them at high speeds with various meteorological settings. The true crime here is that the game most likely won't receive a PS4 Pro update, which could eliminate those rough spots that mar the game's image quality.

As for the length, sure, i would have gladly taken longer city circuits that could rival the p2p tracks, but it was clear that this is what they were going for with the urban tracks back when Old Town was released. I think the writing must have been on the wall for a while at Evo and they have already been cut down in size by something like 50% last year. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to churn out several 2-3 minute circuits full of new assets under those conditions. I guess they could have stitched together the unique parts of the 3 layouts for each location into one longer circuit, but i'm not sure that that would have been the better solution. While i do love the environmental diversity and sense of progression of the p2p tracks, i actually find myself more often replaying circuits, simply because i find it more fun to get into a flow of constantly circling through them while shaving of milliseconds, and part of the appeal in that is that they're not too long.

valkyre

How do the new tracks look subpar compared to the rest of the game? Imo they look exactly like the rest, the big difference is that the cityscapes are just better at pointing out the flaws that DC had from the start, i.e. not that great image quality (AA and AF). If you think the buildings and such on these new tracks look worse than the structures on the old tracks, then you need to have a closer looks at those, because they're on par. I'm not saying this to shit on the game retroactively, it's my favorite new IP this gen, but the graphical rough spots were always there, and not too hard to find if you looked for them. It's why there was such a disparity between many people praising the graphics, while others thought they were underwhelming. Those people were concentrating on different aspects of the visuals. Also, if you think they look worse due to being made with VR in mind, do have a look at some DC VR footage. I've spent 2 weeks combing through hours of VR footage to get a glimpse at the new tracks and when i finally played them in standard DC i was surprised at how much more detail there is, not just in asset quality, but also additional trackside elements. I think the new tracks still look as great as ever in the conditions they are meant to be seen, driving through them at high speeds with various meteorological settings. The true crime here is that the game most likely won't receive a PS4 Pro update, which could eliminate those rough spots that mar the game's image quality.

As for the length, sure, i would have gladly taken longer city circuits that could rival the p2p tracks, but it was clear that this is what they were going for with the urban tracks back when Old Town was released. I think the writing must have been on the wall for a while at Evo and they have already been cut down in size by something like 50% last year. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to churn out several 2-3 minute circuits full of new assets under those conditions. I guess they could have stitched together the unique parts of the 3 layouts for each location into one longer circuit, but i'm not sure that that would have been the better solution. While i do love the environmental diversity and sense of progression of the p2p tracks, i actually find myself more often replaying circuits, simply because i find it more fun to get into a flow of constantly circling through them while shaving of milliseconds, and part of the appeal in that is that they're not too long.

You could very well be right in a lot of what you say and I agree with them, but at the same time I will disagree that the new tracks are on par with the rest in terms of visual fidelity.

Yes, you are right, jaggies are more prominent in urban tracks. That is indeed true and it certainly has affected my judgement.

But on the other hand there are a lot of details missing in these new tracks. Look at the leaves or small rubble (sorry if I am using a shit word, cant find a better one to describe it) on the road for example. In every track we had so far in DC these elements were dynamic when you went over them with your car. It was a beautiful effect as well, very impressive.

In the new tracks however these elements seem to be completely static and there is no interaction whatsoever.

That is just one example of what I am talking about.

Perhaps I exaggerated a bit and yes the engine flaws are coming up more prominently with urban tracks, but still, there are other things missing.

Sirenty

What car/class do you race and do you do all autocross events? Basically I'm intetested to hear more. :) Sounds fun.

I have an E46 M3. I mostly race with the local BMW car club, but also do some events with the SCCA and other organizations. The SCCA ones are great because you see a ton of different cars out there. For example, last weekend there was everything from a GT350R to a Factory Five Cobra to a CR-Z to a Volvo V60 wagon. The main problem I have with SCCA is the class I'm in. Evos and STIs dominate the class, and I can't add more power through headers because of some inane rule that cats can't move more than 6 inches. I like the people in the class, and love a challenge, so I'm dropping weight instead to see if I can compete.

The autocrosses are fun, but you only get 4 runs and the courses are around a minute long. At the track, you get 4 30 minute sessions, and it's usually 2 days, so 4 hours of track time. But it costs 10-20X more than autocross when you add in insurance, hotel, etc. The track days (or Higher Performance Driving Events that are run like schools) also make you do a soaked skidpad to help you learn when to recognize and how to correct understeer and oversteer. Those have been invaluable and saved me several times when I went out in the rain at my last track day. They've also helped on the street.

Autocross is much easier to get into - bring whatever you want to drive, and if you miss the school at the beginning of the year, you can usually get an instructor at a race event to teach you. Also, a lot less chance of wrecking your car.

ty_hot

Project Cars NEEDS a wheel, DRIVECLUB feels worse with a wheel imho, although I have heard that putting the game in hardcore mode makes wheel play better. I have the G29 and it's often on sale here in the UK, maybe check it out during Black Friday sales?

G29 is almost 300 now, I dont think it will be anywhere near 200 in Black Friday... and even at 200, I think its too much :| by next week I might get some news of some extra money coming for me, in that case I could invest on it...

I have never tried a force feedback wheel though, must be something amazing :D I saw reviews of Thurstmaster T150 which is thei entry level and they say good things about the wheel (as I dont have nothing to compare it will probably be enough), but the pedals are plastic, few cheap and the brake doesnt have any weight on it... so this part is meeeh. There is the possibility of doing some mod, but I'd rather get something working well out of the box.

Shame G25 and G27 do not work on PS4 =( really, really a big shame.

I have an E46 M3. I mostly race with the local BMW car club, but also do some events with the SCCA and other organizations. The SCCA ones are great because you see a ton of different cars out there. For example, last weekend there was everything from a GT350R to a Factory Five Cobra to a CR-Z to a Volvo V60 wagon. The main problem I have with SCCA is the class I'm in. Evos and STIs dominate the class, and I can't add more power through headers because of some inane rule that cats can't move more than 6 inches. I like the people in the class, and love a challenge, so I'm dropping weight instead to see if I can compete.

The autocrosses are fun, but you only get 4 runs and the courses are around a minute long. At the track, you get 4 30 minute sessions, and it's usually 2 days, so 4 hours of track time. But it costs 10-20X more than autocross when you add in insurance, hotel, etc. The track days (or Higher Performance Driving Events that are run like schools) also make you do a soaked skidpad to help you learn when to recognize and how to correct understeer and oversteer. Those have been invaluable and saved me several times when I went out in the rain at my last track day. They've also helped on the street.

Autocross is much easier to get into - bring whatever you want to drive, and if you miss the school at the beginning of the year, you can usually get an instructor at a race event to teach you. Also, a lot less chance of wrecking your car.

That sounds brilliant, I'd love to have the opportunity to do something like that but sadly I think having kids has put paid to me ever having spare cash again! Maybe if I'd had some training like that I wouldn't have done this to my favourite car...

Picture_075.jpg

:-(

That sounds brilliant, I'd love to have the opportunity to do something like that but sadly I think having kids has put paid to me ever having spare cash again! Maybe if I'd had some training like that I wouldn't have done this to my favourite car...

Picture_075.jpg

:-(

Has this been recently? Hope you didn't get hurt, man. :/

Has this been recently? Hope you didn't get hurt, man. :/

No this was 5 years ago, and the only damage I suffered was a bruised knee and all the hairs on my arms were singed from the airbags! My pride took a battering tho and its been dull family cars for me ever since :-( I must admit tho that having even a slightly quicker than normal car made me take a lot more risks...

5taquitos

No this was 5 years ago, and the only damage I suffered was a bruised knee and all the hairs on my arms were singed from the airbags! My pride took a battering tho and its been dull family cars for me ever since :-( I must admit tho that having even a slightly quicker than normal car made me take a lot more risks...

Should have kept the braking assists turned on

That sucks, glad you were ok!

Should have kept the braking assists turned on

That sucks, glad you were ok!

Lol cheers :) I actually lost the back end under braking and hit a van coming in the opposite direction head on! I know i turned into the skid but I think I probably panicked and kept my foot on the brake, hence my original reply to Sirenty that some skidpan training may well have saved the car. Luckily everyone was OK, I'd have hated to have actually hurt someone.

You could very well be right in a lot of what you say and I agree with them, but at the same time I will disagree that the new tracks are on par with the rest in terms of visual fidelity.

Yes, you are right, jaggies are more prominent in urban tracks. That is indeed true and it certainly has affected my judgement.

But on the other hand there are a lot of details missing in these new tracks. Look at the leaves or small rubble (sorry if I am using a shit word, cant find a better one to describe it) on the road for example. In every track we had so far in DC these elements were dynamic when you went over them with your car. It was a beautiful effect as well, very impressive.

In the new tracks however these elements seem to be completely static and there is no interaction whatsoever.

That is just one example of what I am talking about.

Perhaps I exaggerated a bit and yes the engine flaws are coming up more prominently with urban tracks, but still, there are other things missing.

OK, i see what you mean with the leaves, gravel and the like getting kicked up by your car. I've quickly checked the tracks and Ashii and Bryggen for example indeed just have textures of leaves and trash on the ground as opposed to dynamic particles, but in the case of Ashii there is so much stuff already swirling around (leaves under trees, papers, plastic bags, moths around lanterns and the like) all over the place, that i don't really mind the lack of dynamic particle effects. I'm pretty sure i've also seen papers swirling in the air on the Vancouver tracks. Gujo and Iquique on the other hand do have gravel that gets kicked up by your car, for example. Not to mention that most of these urban areas would naturally have less stuff lying around. I've also checked some old tracks and not everything on the ground gets kicked up by the car either (for example, there are papers on the ground on the indian tracks that are just a texture as well). Not that you said everything was dynamic, just saying.

With all of that said, i don't think the omission of some dynamic particle effects is a sign of the tracks being "pushed out" or created at at a lesser fidelity because of VR. As i said, there's plenty of stuff along the new tracks in the standard version, that is completely missing from the VR version, not to mention the overall graphical downgrade of DC VR. It doesn't have trackside audiences either. I don't see why DC VR would have negatively impacted these new tracks, when they managed to downgrade all the old tracks for VR just fine. If it wasn't an artistic decision, maybe there was a technical reason (unrelated to VR) for the relative lack of dynamic particles.

Could you elaborate a bit on what else is missing? Also, when you say that you still think the new tracks aren't up to the old ones in fidelity, what do you mean by that? Texture quality, objects with low level of detail and the like? Because i could find you many examples of not so great looking assets from any old track, all you have to do is stop and look around a bit. However, that doesn't mean that i'm not still wowed by how great the game looks when it all comes together, even 2 years after release.

Good to hear you made it out alright. Huge bummer about the car of course.

hort22

so have always wanted to get into this game and just never have...i would be playing offline...is there enough content and or is the ai challenging enough to just play this way?

also how big of patch will i be looking at with the 1.28 patch being the final one?

thanks

Makikou

Lol cheers :) I actually lost the back end under braking and hit a van coming in the opposite direction head on! I know i turned into the skid but I think I probably panicked and kept my foot on the brake, hence my original reply to Sirenty that some skidpan training may well have saved the car. Luckily everyone was OK, I'd have hated to have actually hurt someone.

In my circles, we'd call that "running out of talent" :p

Just kidding, never knew you wrecked a car that bad.

ZalXII

OK those of you running og DC should have two challenges from me, a drift and a time trial with the ktm in old town... however the DCVR servers appear to have shit the bed and I can't send out those challenges - I'll keep trying but it may be tomorrow that those go out...

If you haven't received the challenges and want to take part then let me know.

Me too please.

Good to hear you made it out alright. Huge bummer about the car of course.

Cheers bud :)

In my circles, we'd call that "running out of talent" :p

Just kidding, never knew you wrecked a car that bad.

Lol no you're right actually, I'd always been pretty confident in my own ability despite coming off a motorbike pretty heavily a few times too, but this one opened my eyes. The odd thing was the car had always been very sure footed and I wasn't actually pushing when it caught me out - I'd just put new front tyres on however and that seems to have thrown the balance of the car.

Me too please.

Righto I'll get them sent out when I get on.

so have always wanted to get into this game and just never have...i would be playing offline...is there enough content and or is the ai challenging enough to just play this way?

also how big of patch will i be looking at with the 1.28 patch being the final one?

thanks

With the best value season pass anywhere there is a massive amount of content to the game, and with the asynchronous challenges you can keep going without ever needing to venture online... I think the full patch is about 5gb, lots of extra tracks and vehicles.

G29 is almost 300 now, I dont think it will be anywhere near 200 in Black Friday... and even at 200, I think its too much :| by next week I might get some news of some extra money coming for me, in that case I could invest on it...

I have never tried a force feedback wheel though, must be something amazing :D I saw reviews of Thurstmaster T150 which is thei entry level and they say good things about the wheel (as I dont have nothing to compare it will probably be enough), but the pedals are plastic, few cheap and the brake doesnt have any weight on it... so this part is meeeh. There is the possibility of doing some mod, but I'd rather get something working well out of the box.

Shame G25 and G27 do not work on PS4 =( really, really a big shame.

I believe they have a 1:1 solution

http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=DIY_USB_adapter_for_dummies

which could work out cheaper for you

I played some DC online for the first time in months last night...

My God it was brutal on the new tracks, people drove like absolute twats. I don't think its just that they didn't know where they were going, if we just got unlucky or the nature of the tracks themselves but it was awful. This was by far my cleanest race as I was right at the back after a start that has to be seen....

https://youtu.be/0Bv3edusDj4

The driving on DCVR seems positively gentlemanly in comparison which could be as theres only 8 cars or due to the price the drivers are more 'mature'
old gits
. You still get the odd knob but most are considerate even if they lack ability. The burn something guy on here is probably one of the worst I've had in the VR version...

https://youtu.be/8LfMvku00OM

I also found it tough switching between the two, competition is way higher on DC and the tracks feel tougher to judge despite all my experience on them. Tracks I detest in DC like Trotternish feel pretty good in DCVR, it's weird but I guess it's the one's where the 3D helps the most.

Denur

Got to try one of the new Indian tracks. So beautiful and fun to race! The elevation changes and narrow track will make it amazing in VR (haven't tried that yet). Does anyone know if DC VR will get a day-one patch once the PS4 Pro arrives next week?

I played some DC online for the first time in months last night...

My God it was brutal on the new tracks, people drove like absolute twats. I don't think its just that they didn't know where they were going, if we just got unlucky or the nature of the tracks themselves but it was awful.

I hardly ever play multiplayer in DC and mostly stick to challenges or just free races against the AI, but i've played two races on Ashii last night and it was terrible as well. In one of them i was in 2nd place, until i got to the last hairpin before the final straight. The car behind me t-boned me, i spun around and ended 8th. XD

Got to try one of the new Indian tracks. So beautiful and fun to race! The elevation changes and narrow track will make it amazing in VR (haven't tried that yet). Does anyone know if DC VR will get a day-one patch once the PS4 Pro arrives next week?

Yes, it will. Still bummed about no Pro support for standard DC. Even Knack gets a Pro patch, for heaven's sake! :/

That list of games getting updated for Ps4 Pro annoys the fuck out of me cus they're updating the VR version but not the regular version. Why sony? why?

That list of games getting updated for Ps4 Pro annoys the fuck out of me cus they're updating the VR version but not the regular version. Why sony? why?

The VR version came out 2-3 weeks ago and sells for £20-40 whilst the original came out 2 years ago and sells for a lot less (tho still £25 on psn which surprised me). And the studio is no more... All we can do is keep nagging.

The VR version came out 2-3 weeks ago and sells for £20-40 whilst the original came out 2 years ago and sells for a lot less (tho still £25 on psn which surprised me). And the studio is no more... All we can do is keep nagging.

They also gave us all the tracks found in the VR version for free so I don't think it's a matter which one has the potential of bringing in more sales. Besides they're also updating Knack do you think more people will go out and buy knack because it was updated for Ps4 pro? This makes zero sense to me. Common Sony!!!!

They also gave us all the tracks found in the VR version for free so I don't think it's a matter which one has the potential of bringing in more sales. Besides they're also updating Knack do you think more people will go out and buy knack because it was updated for Ps4 pro? This makes zero sense to me. Common Sony!!!!

We don't know how much of the track work had already been done, the new tracks were teased back in February / March IIRC. And they've always issued the tracks free. As for why Knack, I dunno maybe they think it's an easier job to do and its Cernys baby!

5taquitos

It sucks, but it's just not going to happen at this point. DCVR is getting one because they have a team that's been actively working on it up to release. There's no one around to work on DC, and likely little demand, as much as we clamor for it here. As Shannow said, the tracks are always free, and that was more of a parting gift than anything else.

We don't know how much of the track work had already been done, the new tracks were teased back in February / March IIRC. And they've always issued the tracks free. As for why Knack, I dunno maybe they think it's an easier job to do and its Cernys baby!

It sucks, but it's just not going to happen at this point. DCVR is getting one because they have a team that's been actively working on it up to release. There's no one around to work on DC, and likely little demand, as much as we clamor for it here. As Shannow said, the tracks are always free, and that was more of a parting gift than anything else.

Oh well....

ty_hot

Maybe DCVR on pro will just look as the usual DC in the original PS4... And some resolution bump ofc. They probably did the patch very quickly after the bad reception the game had (graphically), and they didnt have to create new models or things like that, just enabled what was disabled probably.

So at the midpoint in the weekly challenge this is how we're looking...

Midpoint_Ch3_Wk1.png

Despite leading neither challenge Sirenty is ahead with 2 x 2nd places, Ainsz is 1 point behind and PDogg 3 points down. I'm the lead VR peep in 4th place but 13 points down on Sirenty. ty_hot is in 5th despite only entering the drift challenge at this point.

I need to rework the spreadsheet a bit and provide positions for each challenge as the DC guys can't see what times / scores the VR peeps are setting etc.

Cool, good to have more options. Amazon UK has the G29 at 188 pounds though, I put a camelcamelcamel watch on it, hoping that on black friday it will get even cheaper.

Keep an eye out at Currys/PC World it's been known to drop to about £150 there too (Was actually £99 at one point) looks like lowest Amazon have gone is £133 which would be a steal.

Denur

So at the midpoint in the weekly challenge this is how we're looking...

Midpoint_Ch3_Wk1.png

Despite leading neither challenge Sirenty is ahead with 2 x 2nd places, Ainsz is 1 point behind and PDogg 3 points down. I'm the lead VR peep in 4th place but 13 points down on Sirenty. ty_hot is in 5th despite only entering the drift challenge at this point.

I need to rework the spreadsheet a bit and provide positions for each challenge as the DC guys can't see what times / scores the VR peeps are setting etc.
I was going to do the TT challenge in VR, but could not enter because the car doesn't unlock until level 29. After a few events I got it from 26 to 27, but it is slow going due to back aches (can only race a few minutes at a time). But I'll get there later this weekend, for sure....

I was going to do the TT challenge in VR, but could not enter because the car doesn't unlock until level 29. After a few events I got it from 26 to 27, but it is slow going due to back aches (can only race a few minutes at a time). But I'll get there later this weekend, for sure....

Ah sorry about that bud, you'd think I'd have learned to check the level restrictions of the cars used in the challenges by now!

benzy

How do we remove the corner flags? It used to be removed by changing the crowd size to none but that doesn't seem to work anymore.

How do we remove the corner flags? It used to be removed by changing the crowd size to none but that doesn't seem to work anymore.

Only just seen this so can't check right now but I believe it has its own switch that only appears on road tracks and not race tracks (which have the corner distance markers instead)

Found the drift event easier on normal DC which should have helped my position.

Yeah I'll say, when I put the scores in this afternoon you were third overall, dunno if things have changed since then tho.

So you have approx 11.5 hours to go to get your best times / scores in.

Current standings (probably - tough to check the VR version with kids running around).

11hoursleft_Ch3wk1.png

Merged event positions

11hoursleftstandings.png

Good Luck! Next weeks challenges should go out around the same time tonight so look out for them.

So you have approx 11.5 hours to go to get your best times / scores in.

Current standings (probably - tough to check the VR version with kids running around).

Merged event positions

Good Luck! Next weeks challenges should go out around the same time tonight so look out for them.

Will try the time trail more tonight once I get home, thinking I might be able to climb another place but that's about it.

PDogg is untouchable in drift events!

I'm certainly looking forward to the pro improvements :) my birthday can't come quick enough.

I'm jealous! I've been trying to convince the missus to get me one for Xmas but I can't see it happening :-(

Had another good online race the other night, I'm especially pleased with the overtake around the outside on the brakes around the 1:13 mark :) Oh and the F1 is bloody brilliant, great visibility and mirrors just doesn't quite have the speed of the Fxx unfortunately. It's weird how you appreciate different things about the cars in vr.

https://youtu.be/BdNAREnKUNI

drotahorror

Does anyone know if a Motorstorm Pacific Rift complete edition exists (with the 2 DLC packs) ?

It seems like there's only 2 versions of the game. The old school regular one (which does not have the DLC) and the red Greatest Hits one. Does the greatest hits version have the DLC?
*And a Platinum Hits edition which looks to be the EU version.

Week_1_Leaderboard.png

Week_1_Standings.png

So in the end the usual suspects take the top 3 spots but a very good late shoeing in the drift event meant Ainsz took a first and second place to claim a strong lead after week 1. Sirenty could only take 2nd and 3rd with his late surge and PDogg claimed his drift win but 10th in the time trial put him in 3rd overall. 4th and 5th in the two events was a great start for Abandoned Trolley whilst 3rd place in the time trial helped ZalXII to 5th position overall. I had the top VR entry with 8th place and the general feel is that it's tougher to get the times / points in VR, I'm not quite sure why tho...

Top Bottom