• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Super Mario Bros. Preview

ziran

4c6fdc3c-85e5-4e7d-9b68-f2db187cbe07.jpg

this is all E3 info, but in the mass hysteria people may have missed it. the game sounds totally awesome, especially the mario kart style two player mode [:D] and i can't wait for its release :D :) :D

taken from nintendo europe.

- all-new 2D platformer
- familiar side-scrolling action rendered in detailed 3D
- camera zooms in and out of the action, like super smash bros
- new power-ups

qEFR3orUh6zOUxYC9dKsWXNaPhuTf7Ih.jpg

- trademark moves still remain intact, but there are many new additions
- platforms move more erratically

592a0177-a143-4b4c-897f-e268842b88de.jpg

- power-ups can be collected for later use, stored on touch screen, selectable with a tap of your finger
- ropes can be climbed or swung across

Xf4bczoXhD45-wamJ3YBclNHO7iCVS0j.jpg

- ability to bound off vertical surfaces
- rainbow-coloured rings act as mid-level checkpoints
- indicator on the lower screen shows your position between start and goal
- inventive level design of previous 2D Mario games is back
- two player mode:
NINTENDO said:
...One player controls Mario, while the other takes hold of Luigi as you race through a number of side-scrolling environments. With Mario Kart-style items that can be used to slow down your buddy, such as a lightning bolt which will shrink him to the size of an ant, you'll have as much fun playing with your friends as trying to beat the single player adventure...
e44b86b4-98e2-46d1-987d-a0d1c823d35f.jpg

NOA website

NOA video

Syb

u_neek said:
Are you stupid?

... oh, junior member. Sorry!

To the mis-informed (Ie, Me and many others) both could appear to be the same game.

Mario & Luigi 2
+ 2 Player

Super Mario Bros
+ 2 Player

i take that back, the video up on the site is new, and it looks pretty damn awesome over all. seems to have a heavy focus on co-op as well.

temp

posting on contract only
Syb said:
To the mis-informed (Ie, Me and many others) both could appear to be the same game.

Mario & Luigi 2
+ 2 Player

Super Mario Bros
+ 2 Player
Are you being serious?

Mihail

Banned
Uh... Mario & Luigi is a RPG, so I assume Mario & Luigi 2 is also a RPG. Super Mario Bros. DS is a platformer.

temp

posting on contract only
Syb said:
Did you notice the bit that went..

"To the mis-informed (Ie, Me)..."

? :)
Mario and Luigi 2: 1 player RPG.
e3-2005-mario-luigi-2-20050515003252603.jpg

New Super Mario Bros.: 2 player platformer.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Syb said:
Did you notice the bit that went..

"To the mis-informed (Ie, Me)..."

? :)

Anybody who've actually seen screenshots of both games will see that they are different. I'm assuming you haven't, yet you assume they're similar because they have both Mario and Luigi. Anyway like someone else mentioned - one is an rpg, the other is an action platformer. Please do some research next time. A quick hop over to ds.ign.com for instance would've answered all your questions.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
mdm said:
3D is stupid

I hope the gameplay doesn't suffer from it (the videos make it look weird)

its 2d gameplay. the characters are just made with polygons.

the 2 player mode sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

SantaC

Johnny Nighttrain said:
i take that back, the video up on the site is new, and it looks pretty damn awesome over all. seems to have a heavy focus on co-op as well.

it says E3 video. All these info and media are old. Stop posting old previews.

Coen

Still think they should've chosen sprites over polygons. Nintendo's sprite-based games just give them a sense of style most polygon-games are missing, especially on older hardware.

madara said:
This rendered 3d is doing nothing for me in least, it looks butt ugly.

Agreed. They should have used big, refined, 2D sprites. The DS can't handle sprite rotation and scaling without massive pixelation, but it would be better than the subpar 3D.

Coen said:
Still think they should've chosen sprites over polygons. Nintendo's sprite-based games just give them a sense of style most polygon-games are missing, especially on older hardware.

I think they did it as a marketing pitch to help the DS. If they had used sprites, the game could have been done on a GBA. By using 3D, at least 3D beyond the GBA's capabilities, it shows off DS hardware in a way a more conventional approach wouldn't.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I think the 3D parts look quite nice, especially in motion, and hopefully it'll let them do more interesting things than you can with sprites...but I can't argue about the backgrounds. Total loss of all Mario charm there.

AB 101

Banned
Society said:
No, a new platform game is not milking it, there has not been a new one since 1992(?). Mario baseball, Mario football, Mario Gold, Mario Party is.

How about a non Mario platformer then?

Oh, and you forgot Mario Tennis and Soccer (I think).

Now Mario Does the Princess would be at least different. ;)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Even then, it's only milking of the character. Mario Party is the only real milking of a game that Nintendo's done with Mario. The others are one game a generation, which is pretty restrained given some of their sales.

SantaC

Mama Smurf said:
Even then, it's only milking of the character. Mario Party is the only real milking of a game that Nintendo's done with Mario. The others are one game a generation, which is pretty restrained given some of their sales.

yer right.

btw, any chance we might see wifi-online co-op in this game?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Infernal Monkey said:

if people keep saying that pretty soon I won't have much skin left to tear off each time I hear it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
SantaCruZer said:
finally a new mario platformer, and all people do is complain :/

At this point, I'm having to conclude that people are generally spoiled, petty, and care only about what they want to see with an off-the-cuff desire that isn't thought out.

f'instance, complaints about the graphics? About the 'horrible' DS 3D having no 'charm'? It's true that 2D would look nice, and what would look really impressive would be some truly high-res 2D, like say, Gamecube Paper Mario visuals for a platformer. But at the same time, watching this game in motion seems to indicate *it's all about the motion* for New Super Mario Bros. The game looks 'cartoon rubbery' and bouncy and full of PHYSICS as all get-out.

But rather than go "hmm, intriguing this strategy", it's just canned responses that DS polygons suck.

From where I'm standing the game looks like a complete firecracker in motion, and that's where its 'charm' lays.

Mrbob

It would have been cool to use the style from Yoshis Island for this game. DS 3D just looks bad to me. Anyway, I'm excited to finally see a new 2D Mario game. The two player mode is a little confusing. Is it a co-op mode or versus mode? The description makes it sound more like a vs mode.

Looking at the pics again, I'd say the background detail is the most disappointing. Blue background with sparse clouds. WTF happened? I'm replaying Super Mario World again and the colorful background detail is so awesome. It isn't too detailed but at least it is colorful and more to it:

01.jpg

All you need to do is boot up Super Mario World and on the first stage the scrolling background looks great. New Super Mario Bros looks bare.

Ranger X

We have a true new Mario. It's 2D in gameplay. It's the fucking dream.
I can't believe there is this much complaining. What are you dreaming for people?
You prefer to receive some cheap remakes and ported shit?
This game look awesome and it's about time Nintendo gives us a new Mario. My expectations are high and this game is extremely interesting. Those complaining here will forever complain about everything anyway and should just STFU imo.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I'm excited as hell by this game, but holy shit does that Mario model suck. And that's not even getting into those level backgrounds.

Top Bottom