• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Super Mario Bros. Preview

Akai

Well of course the backgrounds look bare and the visuals are rather bland...As of E3, the game was still VERY early in development...Just give them time, they won't screw up a 2d platformer...

Can't say i was expecting much better but the music in the classic mario games that were scored by Koji Kondo is both creative and catchy.
Nevermind the fact that it's only music for the video.

I'm excited as hell by this game, but holy shit does that Mario model suck. And that's not even getting into those level backgrounds.
The game looked great when I played it at E3 - character models and all. To everyone that is complaining about the graphics, take the advice from the post above and watch the videos, first of all. Then, shut up about it until we see a closer to final build of the game.

What the Hell is wrong with some of you people!!!! THAT GAME LOOKS AWESOME!! You should all watch the video, iot reminds me of the classic Mario series. The polygon characters and world works. The game looks FUN! Nintendo gives us a Great game and all people do is bitch.

Also, I am so tired of the "we want 2d and hand drawn" crowd, they have been replaced with polygons. I too liked hand drawn sprites in the 16 bit era, but things have moved with the time. we get new mario and megaman games with 2d game play , but with polygon characters and Backgrounds, and people whine. People are never happy.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I would have been happy if they had just used the SMW engine with some special effects here and there. Still, I don't mind the look of the game too much. However, I still haven't seen any item that can make Mario fly. You can't have a Mario Platformer without a flying item, Nintendo!!

And this is NOT milking it. See: Mario Party

Ristamar

Suite Pee said:
Oh you're gonna get it now, boy

re4mob.jpg

dbish

Mallrat83 said:
What they need to do is go ahead and name the game Super Mario Bros 4. I would pass out were that to happen.

While that title is nice, I think it would put even higher expectations on a game with already ridiculously high ones (from me at least, and I'm assuming most of you).

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
While I'm certainly happy that we're getting a new "2d" Mario the background graphics are shit. The character models OTOH are decent. They look fine in motion.

Super Princess Peach looks much better overall though. It has the look of a classic Mario platformer.

Mallrat83

Banned
cybamerc said:
Super Princess Peach looks much better overall though. It has the look of a classic Mario platformer.
On that note, what the hell is up with this game? Any new info? I don't really know a lot about it, but it intrigues me nonetheless.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Holy crap that video looks ace! Graphics look really nice in motion, better than Mario 64 DS IMO.

NEW co-op Mario platformer and people are complaining.. what's wrong with you!?

ziran

Mallrat83 said:
On that note, what the hell is up with this game? Any new info? I don't really know a lot about it, but it intrigues me nonetheless.
Super Princess Peach is released October 20th 05 in japan.

i'm hoping it's another great platformer. i have a sneaking suspicion it's developed by tose, developers of the gba legend of stafi series.

Hero

I'm excited about the game, however, I agree with those who say that they should've done a sprite based SMB game. This just doesn't 'feel' right. Not to mention, a lot of the charm of the 2D Mario's were the sprites.

I'm excited about this game.

Even moreso than any console game, including Twilight Princess.

I'm surprised at all the negativity in this thread, though.

SantaC

SonicMegaDrive said:
I'm surprised at all the negativity in this thread, though.

you are?

On that note, I think more people need to watch the video. Looks real nice in motion.

Mallrat83

Banned
mj1108 said:
You either now need a tag or better yet, they can keep "Junior Member" as a permanent tag for you.
Speaking of tags, would it be possible to change mine to this: "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke...and break their window." or "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Nintendo."

Jado

Banned
If the Mario model looks at least as good and moves as smoothly as the one bouncing and jumping around in those Mario 64 DS mini-games, then I don't see any reason to complain.

Oblivion said:
Yeah, but those games sucked.

Ugh. Super Mario Bros. has now topped the two Top 100 Lists that IGN has had, with good fucking reason.

Zeo

Banned
Worm_Buffet said:
Ugh, that music is incredibly clichéd.

... It's just trailer music. Not the actual soundtrack to the game.

Tempy said:

(Your response to someone going "So this is the new Mario Kart?") That was obviously a joke, making fun of this guy...

Syb said:
WTF

What is the difference between this and Mario/Luigi 2?

Officially the dumbest thread in history.

Anyway, it looks great in motion guys and almost all of the impressions I read say it FEELS like a Mario sidescroller. But this is what they need to do to the game in order for me to not be disappointed:

-The thing with the graphics is that while nice, they do look a little bare. If they can add a little bit more detail to the background and make sure it feels like, say, Super Mario World, then people w ill be happy. Although, kickass-looking sprites that are at the Castlevania: DoS level of quality, would be much cooler...
- Music. Make SURE the music is as good and memorable as Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3. If it isn't, don't even bother releasing the game.
- Make sure this new multiplayer mode has a lot to it. Not some quick thing like Mario 64 DS' mode, which while fun, only lasted for a short time.
- The size of the game? Make the game as big as Super Mario World or bigger. It should actually have more worlds and more stages and the difficulty should about that of Super Mario World as well.
- Give us lots of secret exits to stages and hidden stages. MAKE SURE THERE IS A WORLD MAP just like SMW, but improve on it.
- Give us a mid-boss and boss per world, but unlike SMW, make the world bosses take a while. Not just "knock them into the lava pit". You'll need a strategy to beat them.
- Items. So far this looks more like Super Mario Bros. 1 than SMB3 or SMW, and that's not a good thing. So far I've seen the Fire Flower and the ability to get huge. Okay, but what else? I'll take a new version of the cape and a bunch of new items too. Give us something in the gameplay that SMB1-3 and SMW didn't have.
- Call it Super Mario Bros. 4 in America. (I think in Japan Super Mario World had a subtitle of Super Mario Bros. 4, but I might be wrong.) That would just be kind of cool, heh.

I don't think that should be too hard for Nintendo to do. Keep in mind people, that this game is not close to being done. It was still very early at E3 and probably won't even be out in Japan until 2006.

SantaCruZer said:
you are?

On that note, I think more people need to watch the video. Looks real nice in motion.

A bit.

I know this forum is full of nitpickers and whiners, but people have been clamouring for an all-new, original 2D Mario for 14 years now. It's not sprite-based, no. But it looks to be as fun as those older Mario titles.

Oblivion

Damn, check out the negative feedback after the Mario comment. Sorry, guys. I WAS born before 1990 (1984 to be precise) and I did enjoy Mario 1 and 2, but come on now, they weren't anywhere as cool as 3 or beyond.

Mallrat83

Banned
Remember that fake video that was released a while back of Super Mario Universe (I think that's what it was called)? That style of graphics would be kickass. But tomato, tomatoe, I'm just happy to finally have an original sidescrolling Mario game again!!!!!

Oblivion said:
Damn, check out the negative feedback after the Mario comment. Sorry, guys. I WAS born before 1990 (1984 to be precise) and I did enjoy Mario 1 and 2, but come on now, they weren't anywhere as cool as 3 or beyond.

You're definitely entitled to that opinion.

Though, Suepr Mario Bros. 1 is my personal favorite. :)

Oblivion

SonicMegaDrive said:
You're definitely entitled to that opinion.

Though, Suepr Mario Bros. 1 is my personal favorite. :)

Cool, cool. I can respect that. And thanks for not flaming me :).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
From what I played at e3, this game is nice. I am curious about the total length and powers, though.

Two player mode is sort of like the GBC SMBDX vs. mode -- Mario and Luigi run through the SAME level, with the ability to interact with each other (to a degree). First to complete the level wins.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Yeah, the game was hell of fun at E3, both the single player and two-player modes were awesome and fun. It was especially nice to race against your opponent and use items like fire flowers and super stars against them.

I'm looking foward to both this and Mario & Luigi 2. It's taking a while, but soon the DS will have a lot of great games to own.

I'm fairly certain that they either confirmed or hinted at the tanooki suit and similar suits in an earlier interview, so I doubt that the number of items will be a problem. If anything, I think they're adding a lot of new items that they don't want to spoil for us yet. I love how much dev time this is getting and hope to see it sometime around holiday 06.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I love how much dev time this is getting and hope to see it sometime around holiday 06

Say wha? you think they're gonna give the game another full year and a half of development?

Ironclad

The game is looking good. The mario model needs some work and the backgrounds definitely are bare but the physics look solid and the multiplayer looks great as well. They just need to clean it up a bit, add more detail to the backgrounds and make sure it has a good set of items and the game will be brilliant.

Oblivion

ratcliffja said:
I'm fairly certain that they either confirmed or hinted at the tanooki suit and similar suits in an earlier interview, so I doubt that the number of items will be a problem. If anything, I think they're adding a lot of new items that they don't want to spoil for us yet. I love how much dev time this is getting and hope to see it sometime around holiday 06.

Which interview was this?

And I think I know Nintendo's rationale behind using 3D models instead of sprites. When Mario grows using the Mega Mushroom (or whatever it's called), he gains the abililty to punch, so maybe they thought it wouldn't look good if he did that as a sprite or something.

Ah, I don't know.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Mallrat83 said:
What they need to do is go ahead and name the game Super Mario Bros 4. I would pass out were that to happen.

333px-Super_Mario_World_Japan_cover.jpg

Then it'd be Super Mario Advance: Super Mario World, since Super Mario World was officially Super Mario Bros 4 and that would really get out the people calling milking. Wow, I confused even myself.

Mallrat83

Banned
Chittagong said:
333px-Super_Mario_World_Japan_cover.jpg

Then it'd be Super Mario Advance: Super Mario World, since Super Mario World was officially Super Mario Bros 4 and that would really get out the people calling milking. Wow, I confused even myself.
I knew about the name change in Japan. The fact of the matter is it wasn't labled as such here. Officially, the US and Japan have different games being called Super Mario Bros 2 also.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
man the co-op shit looks hot, my most anticipated title on the DS. I don't know what the fuck is wrong here, Nintendo finally gives a people a 2d Mario platformer and all people do is complain about shit that in the trailer looks good. anyway can't wait 2d Mario platformers is never a bad thing.

puck1337

Looks great, can't wait to see new footage. The environments need a bit of filling out, but all in all it looks like a lot of fun.

bummyhead

My Two cents.

First of all, I HATE the STUPID way Nintendo does their DS vids. Is it really neccessary to waste all that space showing the whole fucking system? That's like showing a Gamecube video with a picture of a TV around it. Pointless waste of space.

on to the game. Looks kind of balnd in stills, but the video looks pretty interesting. I certainly think it could be a lot better, but tis still on a par with the old games. I would like to see more paralax.

And the music seems pretty inline with classic mario tunes to me.

Jado

Banned
Unless the game does have all the power-ups, flying, the world map, Koopa kids, Yoshi, etc... then this game really does look much more like a sequel to Super Mario Bros. than SMB3 or SM World.

Not counting Yoshi's Island (seeing as how different it is from SMB3/World and Mario not being the star of the game), this would be really be Super Mario Bros 5.... or 7, if you count M64 and Sunshine as 5 and 6, respectively.

This is probably my second most anticipated game this year, right behind Zelda. Cmon, it is a new side scroller Mario game! That alone is reason to rejoice. I dont see them releasing it as milking of the character, but finally giving the fans what they want, which is good old sidescrolling gameplay with mario!

Bring it on baby!

Barry Lightning said:
man that shit looks so corny. mario is seriously unrelevant and they need to kick his played out ass to the curb.

Because it's not fun if it isn't "street" or blaring EA Trax? Screw you. Some of us are here because we play games, and a new 2D Mario title makes him the most relevant he's been in a long while.

Top Bottom